• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official World Cup of Hockey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
OMG, 3-2 and then 3-3! What a great game! The ref was really crappy for a while though, Canada should've had one man out many times over. :|

Socreges

Banned
Kiriku said:
OMG, 3-2 and then 3-3! What a great game! The ref was really crappy for a while though, Canada should've had one man out many times over. :|
Pffft, the ref has a let a whole lot go for both teams. He's let them play and it's had great flow.

For sure, Lecavalier's penalty was pretty weak. (Czechs scored on that PP)

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I can't handle this. I don't know if I can watch.
Canada really does not deserve to win this.

They've been getting worse and worse throughout the night: missing quality chances and losing ALL the battles in their own zone. I wanna blame Luongo for 2 light goals, but he's had some stellar saves to keep the team in the game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Socreges said:
Pffft, the ref has a let a whole lot go for both teams. He's let them play and it's had great flow.

For sure, Lecavalier's penalty was pretty weak. (Czechs scored on that PP)

During the first half of the third period, the Canadian defense wasn't playing much hockey, they were literally hanging on the czech players a number of times.

The last couple of minutes were just crazy from both sides though, probably because they thought the ref wouldn't do anything about it so close to the end.

Socreges

Banned
Kiriku said:
During the first half of the third period, the Canadian defense wasn't playing much hockey, they were literally hanging on the czech players a number of times.
Again, both teams have been doing that. The difference there is that the Czechs had the puck for nearly that entire period.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Congratulations Luongo, you saved Canada in sudden death!

A bit unfair IMO, I thought the Czechs were the slightly better team, especially towards the end. :|

Socreges

Banned
We so did not deserve that game. The Czechs played awesome. Luongo played really well, though.

Seeing Gretzky's reaction was priceless. I did the exact same thing. :)

Pochacco

Damn - watching Gretz and Lowe celebrate makes me happy.
Luongo's the man. He was the best Canadian of the game, which really isn't saying that much.

calder

AHHHHHHH HELL YEAAAAHHHH

Now that was a good game (eventually). Canada played like shit at times, but it added to the drama in the end and the Czechs played just as good as when they tuned in Sweden so it wasn't just all Canada being crap.

Ohmygod I'm relieved. Vinnie!!

dem

I'm almost ashamed for Canada to win this game..

Completely undeserved...

edit:

Well... maybe I'm being a bit too harsh =P I mean.. they did score 4 goals. The first czech goal was just a fluke, and their second was off a phantom penalty. And that 3rd... well.. lets just say that shouldnt have went in.
Perhaps my expectation of domination is a little high :)

Gregory

Banned
Fucking bullshit game. Talk about biased referees! There were atleast 3 instances where Canada should have got penalties in the 3rd period. Not to mention they let several Canadian offsides slide. Fucking shit. Why the hell are the referees canadian anyway?

The Chechs were a much better team. Canadians are called canadicks in swedish, which I find pretty appropriate right now.

Now Finland must win goddamnit.

dem

Great teams win even when they dont deserve to :D

Btw
Finland is going to get CRUSHED by Canada...

Socreges

Banned
Gregory said:
Fucking bullshit game. Talk about biased referees! There were atleast 3 instances where Canada should have got penalties in the 3rd period. Not to mention they let several Canadian offsides slide. Fucking shit. Why the hell are the referees canadian anyway?

The Chechs were a much better team. Canadians are called canadicks in swedish, which I find pretty appropriate right now.

...you must be from Slovakia.

Pochacco

Gregory said:

I thought the officiating was fine. It kind of reminded me of Vancouver vs. Calgary in the playoffs where the refs just let the teams play (well, I didn't like the call on Lecavalier but it did lead to a Canadian chance so it had to be called..). It led to some really exciting stuff.

No doubt though, the Czechs deserved the win. Only Luongo's clutch goaltending kept Canada in the game. I don't know if the Czech's aggressive forechecking caught the Canadians off guard, but the Candian D seemed terrible tonight.

Boogie

Gregory said:

Poor baby.

GLoK

Gregory said:

Wow, have you watched hockey before today...?

Probably hard to keep up with the game when you have to keep looking down at your "Hockey for Dummies" book during plays.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's hard to avoid the fact that Canada got the crowd on their side. I mean, it sounded like the Czech players were the only Czechs in the entire arena. The Canadians sure had some support there. :p

Not saying it would be more fair to play the final games in Europe though, especially since the NHL are behind the whole thing IIRC.

Kifimbo

What a great game! The refs were almost perfect IMO and that's why the game was so exciting. They let both teams play.

GLoK

This game was a thrill ride to the very end, a heart breaker to lose but a total blast to win.

Canada really slacked off for the third, which is kind of disappointing. It would have been nice to see them play a solid game all the way through, but all's well that ends well.

Mad props to Luongo for some of the best goal tending I've ever seen.

Gregory

Banned
Socreges said:
...you must be from Slovakia.

Why do you say that? The Slovaks hate the Czechs. I`m Norwegian and neutral. Except I hate american teams. ;)

It was a great game for sure, just a very undeserved victory. Pissed me off. Finland HAS to win now,argh.

Socreges

Banned
Gregory said:
Why do you say that? The Slovaks hate the Czechs. I`m Norwegian and neutral. Except I hate american teams. ;)
Because we trounced the Slovaks twice. I thought, considering that you're so bitter, that it might be for that reason.

It was a great game for sure, just a very undeserved victory.
You won't find any disagreement here. Though possession and shots aren't everything. Your goalie has to stand on his head sometimes and placing the puck in the net can be important. For how well the Czechs played, it's odd that their goals were junk.

dem

FNG116091121_640x480.jpg

Prince Vince is the fucking man.
Tourny MVP if Brodeur doesnt start on Tuesday.

Boogie

Gregory said:
Why do you say that? The Slovaks hate the Czechs. I`m Norwegian and neutral. Except I hate NORTH american teams. ;)

Fixed. In the hockey world, you don't put Canada in the USA's shadow, mmkay? :p

Mainline

Gregory said:

It was a great game for sure, just a very undeserved victory. Pissed me off. Finland HAS to win now,argh.

Well Finland is still arguably the 3rd best team from the European pool, if they played the C-R tonight they probably would have lost, and I think they pretty much have no chance to beat Canada, at home, with the crowd on their side considering what's at stake. I much say C-R played much better than Canada most of the game, but we came up big when it counted, overtime.

I am predicting something along the lines of 5-2 for the finals, as far as I am concerned tonights game was the real finals.

Ps. Ryan Smyth is awesome :)

Pochacco

I wouldn't underestimate the Fins. They have fricking Kipper in net. KIPPER!
When is the final game anyway? I wonder if Brodeur and Redden will be back..

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If the final game is like that, I won't be able to watch. My heart!

If Jarome scores on Kiprusoff to win the tourney, will they not speak to each other in the Flames locker room this season? Enquiring minds want to know!

Malakhov

Banned
My dream final baby! Canada vs Finland! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And like I said, Lecavalier is god.

P.S. Canada didn't deserve the win at all tonight but I'm still glad they got it :)

Malakhov

Banned
Oh and what about cpt courageous? My Saku Koivu scored the winner for finland against u.s.a., woot! :D

SAKU! SAKU! SAKU!

IgeL said:
Hey Midway, welcome back or something. :)
Thanks! I was taking a vacation from internet,lol.

Congrats to Canada! I'm so happy that its CAN - FIN in finals. And you would think people have already stopped with this "team x will crush team finland" stuff. Finland can play with anyone, they have great centers, good young defensemen and awesome goaltender. Sure we dont have many superstars but that doesnt matter since this is a tournament where they play only one game... Most importantly we have Teppo, Saku and Kipper! :D

Cant wait till tuesday night!!

FightyF

Banned
I loved the "Gretzsky cam". I dunno why they felt it so important to catch his every reaction, but I found myself celebrating whenever he did. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom