• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

EGM92

human5892 said:
I was going to start a new thread about this, but figured it'd be okay in here:

Shouldn't we be seeing more advertising now? The only TV ads I've seen even mentioning the 360 are the every10minutes commercials, and now they seem to have stopped. I just would've thought that with launch in less than a month the ads would've started up by now. As it is I'm not feeling that much hype among people who don't follow games that much, and I think some slick commercials would really help that.

The only commercials I've seen was the Bethefirsttoplay.ca commercial and that only plays on Much Music (Canada's MTV). A lot of the people I talked to didn't even know what the X360 was. If MS wants to sell a shitload of these and be competitve with sony they need massive advertising.

Finally got a chance to play the 360 today at Wal-mart. First off, the set up there does inded suck, and it took about five minutes before I started to get neck cramps. Played all three game demos. Thoughts on them:

Kameo: Nice, colorful graphics. Good detail, interesting premise. Not sure if it would hold my interest for too long. May make a good rental. Actions seemed kind of limited, but I may just not have been getting it all. The different chacter types in the demo were cool as was the environment you explored.

King Kong: Honestly, it seemed like an Xbox game that had only slightly better graphics. It did a good job of setting the mood, and the T-Rex chase sequence was more fun then the fight was, for me. Something about the controls seemed a little off to me, but it could have been the weird position you're in when you're playing at Wal-mart.

Call of Duty: For me, easily the most impressive demo. Nice graphics, lots of details, good effect (heat shimmer in the desert) fast action. Very nice. The guns handled well, there was a sense of urgency, the sound was good, even in a crowded busy store. Looks like it would be a lot of fun.

That said, none of these games are on my must buy list. Oblivion is at the top of that list, with Madden and Condemned coming up next. If I had to pick one of these three though, for me, CoD would be the one, and possibly Kameo.

Oh, and the controller was excellent. Very comfortable, felt just right in the hands. Everything is within easy reach. The Blades on the Xbox itself were nice too, well organized and simple to understand.

Looking forward to launch!

Mrbob

Looks like games and accessories will be shipping early.

EBgames and Gamestop both have Nov 9 as the ship date for Kameo and Nov 15 for a ton of other games.

Beyond that, all the first part accessories look like they are shipping Nov 7 or Nov 8 so we may be able to get them early.

Acosta

Well, give me a place in the hype train.

I have just preordered a region one ultimate bundle, a VGA cable and Kameo. Hope everything goes without problems. Even having bought all my systems this generation from outside (PS2, PSP and GC from Japan no less, Xbox came from my country) it´s always a little worring when you put so much money on an online shop, especially when is something as a console, that could break in the way, letting without you any warranty.

But I´m confident here and I never had a problem before so...

Exciting!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
SuperPac said:
In other news, preorders appear to be open again at ebgames.com.

They've also begun calling people and telling them they'll be in the 2nd shipment...people who were in the first. Two people I know were told they would receive theirs 1-2 weeks after launch.

VALIS

Musashi Wins! said:
They've also begun calling people and telling them they'll be in the 2nd shipment...people who were in the first. Two people I know were told they would receive theirs 1-2 weeks after launch.

And that is exactly why I didn't preoreder from EB or another game speciality store this time. They completely fucked up the PS2 and Xbox launches. Screwing up another one was just a matter of how, not if.

Gc-Freak

Banned
I hope we get enough stock. Actually we ordered arround 60 premium packs but i think we will only get 10 in stock on December 2nd

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Musashi Wins! said:
EBGames.com? As in, customer service reps from the website have been calling people? If so, that's crazy. I pre-ordered from Walmart like, the MINUTE they started accepting orders for the second time (they did three times in total). I really hope they deliver on this.

MS sucks for doing this. You don't give allocation numbers and then completely FAIL to deliver on them. It looks like they're literally shipping half of what everyone was expecting. It sucks that this is happening with another launch; it certainly isn't the route MS should go if they want to sell as many of these things as possible.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
vatstep said:
EBGames.com? As in, customer service reps from the website have been calling people? If so, that's crazy. I pre-ordered from Walmart like, the MINUTE they started accepting orders for the second time (they did three times in total). I really hope they deliver on this.

MS sucks for doing this. You don't give allocation numbers and then completely FAIL to deliver on them. It looks like they're literally shipping half of what everyone was expecting. It sucks that this is happening with another launch; it certainly isn't the route MS should go if they want to sell as many of these things as possible.

Brick and mortar. A lot of the stores are finding out they'll only have 10-20 units on launch day. They will sell every console they get during the "launch window". Prepare to see price gouging online, etc.

Mrbob

Musashi Wins! said:
Brick and mortar. A lot of the stores are finding out they'll only have 10-20 units on launch day. They will sell every console they get during the "launch window". Prepare to see price gouging online, etc.

Yup.

I've been talking a bunch of local stores around town and they tell me they are getting bout half of their initially allotted first order shipment. So those who said were on the first order are being bumped to the 2nd.

Hope this doesn't affect my Walmart purchasing plans.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ok, since it's pretty much definate about their allotments. Are they doing this for manufacturing or to put new units every week after launch? Microsoft said it'll be gradual, so it kinda seems like the latter. However, I'm not sure and I'd like clarification on that.

pestul

How will the games look on my 480i Toshiba? Will it be like.. when I hook up a pc and have the resolution set higher than the 480i on the screen (find it a little sharper, but I know it's lacking the pixels).?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
my wal-mart got their demo in!

first up, call of duty 2. i spent probably 15-20 minutes with this... absolutely incredible. all you pc gamers must be jaded as hell as far as fps games go if your not impressed with this game. so much shit going on, such nice detailed environments and textures. soilders and gun fire everywhere. awesome explosions and particles. the best smoke ever. the most impressive thing is all the sound effects. it really is like saving private ryan. i cannot waiit to play this at home in 5.1 cranked to 10. sold.

next, kameo. surprisingly, i didnt think it looked as good as blim's HD vids. probably due to how the set was poorly calibrated though. still looked nice, just some things looked "strange" (colors, alaising). played nice too (just like the xbox e3 game i played sooo long ago). i didnt play much, it was the same old thorns castle demo and i had to get back to work... i plan on going more in depth on this game later today.

i ran to walmart on my 15 min break from work, and needless to say, i came back quite late (i think i took about 50 mins :p).

i also saw someone playing king kong, and it looked like a high res xbox game (a pretty one though). not at all impressed with that, and even worse, the t-rex was stuck in the environment, just moonwalking in place. :(

My Walmart got their 360 kiosk, but apparently every time they turn it on it messes with the photo lab computers, so they leave it off. I did get to play with the controller, though. It seemed to me like I could use both the triggers and shoulder buttons with just my index fingers. Not sure how I feel about that. I do like the fact that they're close though, as it will make switching between the two very easy. The pad was much smaller than I imagined. Seemed to be about the same size as a cube controller, maybe SLIGHTLY larger. The system itself is very attractive. I didn't expect it to be nearly that cool looking in person, but I think it's definitely one of the best looking systems I've ever seen. The blank screen with a peice of notebook paper taped to it that read "please do not turn on the xbox 360" was not so attractive, though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
558523118a8bca134e4hg.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23890723

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
558523118a8bca134e4hg.jpg

wow, full game-boner right there

by the way, went back tonight and played an hour of cod2 and kameo. played through each demo at least once. i must say, kameos control doesnt seem so great on first impressions... moving the characters percisely can be a bit of a chore. at one point of the demo, you square off against trolls in armor. when you hit them, the fall into their armor and become metal spheres. there is a lava pit in the center with ramps leding up to it, so you have to knock the trolls into their armor, then roll them into the lava. sounds simple right? it should be, but i'll be damned if it was. lining up the punches with pummel weed was difficult, "dribbling" the balls towards the ramp was more so. this kind of shit shouldnt be so hard. i found it quite frustrating. maybe there was an easier way to knock them in the pit that i didnt discover. maybe i just suck. hopefully its just cause i'm not really used to how the characters move.

regardless, aside from this very frustrating part of the demo, the rest was quite cool IMO, especially the boss battle, where you have to switch among a couple forms to exploit his weakness

Here's the Accessories video.....I love that keychain idea....You can carry your memorycard with you, with your keys! :D

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/movies/2635/Xbox-360-Accesories/

But the question that boggles my mind, is WHAT in the blue fuck hell is that ipod looking (I mean look at the bottom, it looks like the ipod's charger) accessory that was in the line of the 360 list.

While you're at TXB-checkout the new 360 theme, and if you're a member of its vb forums.....you can put your gamertag in there, and it will show your gamercard. :)

Nintendo X said:
Here's the Accessories video.....I love that keychain idea....You can carry your memorycard with you, with your keys! :D

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/movies/2635/Xbox-360-Accesories/

But the question that boggles my mind, is WHAT in the blue fuck hell is that ipod looking (I mean look at the bottom, it looks like the ipod's charger) accessory that was in the line of the 360 list.

If its what I'm thinking its a quick charger that holds 2 battery packs.

Yusaku

Kabuki Waq said:
huh? there is an official switch?

He's talking about the official VGA cable. Just get a stereo audio to miniplug adapter and plug the 360 into the line-in on your PC.

krypt0nian said:
Go to this site and plug in famous numbers at certain times during the countdown :D
(hint,hint) :D :D :D
Edit: To clarify the number "666" plugged in at certain points during the countdown produced the result "360" and "playstation". I'm not a microsoft employee, or anything. Someone should plug in (in binary) certain xbox games during certain points of the count.
(To see about backwards compatibility, of course.)
EDIT: I don't think it's viral marketing; I just got it to say "fuck you"!!!!
EDIT 2: Electric Boogaloo: I just got it to say "november 22"!!!
EDIT 3: Just got it to say "hi"
EDIT 4: Got it to say "hi" again with a different colored blurb next to it.
EDIT 5: Got it to say "acces?"
(still have no idea about how it works.)
EDIT 6: Got it to say "666" "911"
(Note: I typed these earlier when fiddling with it.)
EDIT 7: What does "1011010000100101110101011101010" mean in binary?
EDIT 8: What does "0100101110101010111011" mean in binary?
EDIT 9: Just got it to say "hex".(possibly as in hexadecimal)
EDIT 10: Just got it to say "hey".
EDIT 11: Just got it to say "#1B199", any significance?
EDIT 12: Just got it to say "lol"
EDIT 13: Just got it to say "CFPFLB8nRG7JF"
EDIT 14: Just got it to say "lalala"
EDIT 15: Just got it to ask "what are you doing in italy?"
EDIT 16: Just got it to say "plystation"

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Damn dude, what did you google?

What Is Konfabulator?

Konfabulator is a JavaScript runtime engine for Windows and Mac OS X that lets you run little files called Widgets that can do pretty much whatever you want them to. Widgets can be alarm clocks, calculators, can tell you your WiFi signal strength, will fetch the latest stock quotes for your preferred symbols, and even give your current local weather.

What sets Konfabulator apart from other scripting applications is that it takes full advantage of today's advanced graphics. This allows Widgets to blend fluidly into your desktop without the constraints of traditional window borders. Toss in some sliding and fading, and these little guys are right at home in Windows XP and Mac OS X.

The format for these Widgets is completely open and easy to learn so creating your own Widgets is an extremely easy task.

For the "skinning" crowd, Konfabulator is a dream come true. You can easily change the look, feel, layout, even functionality of a Widget so that it matches your lifestyle, your desktop, or the pants or skirt you have on that day.

VALIS

Does anyone know yet what stores will be participating in a midnight first-come-first-serve launch? Best Buy? WalMart? Target? Others? Thanks.

Top Bottom