• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, just watched the pairs figure skating.

That chinese chick is the story of the olympics.

I dont know if any of you guys have ever landed on ice with bare knees before.... but OUCH. And then she slid across it...

Amazing performance.

I had no idea they could continue though. I like that rule. :)

I told you guys that was an amazing performance :). Landing on your knees on ice hurts... but the way she fell was what had me cringing. If I ever fell like that, one of my legs would ripped off. Flexibility +1

empanada

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I told you guys that was an amazing performance :). Landing on your knees on ice hurts... but the way she fell was what had me cringing. If I ever fell like that, one of my legs would ripped off. Flexibility +1
Yeah, that fall was bad. It seemed like she couldn't even stand when her partner helped her up. You could also see the Russian pair worried cuz they went through something like that (only worse...guy dropped girl...girl was unconsious) back in 2004.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A fantastic performance, but a second place performance? Really?

I was more impressed by Pang/Tong, who were TOTALLY in harmony. They were the best PAIR I saw. And the Americans just have no artistic flair at all.

krzy123

empanada said:
Yeah, that fall was bad. It seemed like she couldn't even stand when her partner helped her up. You could also see the Russian pair worried cuz they went through something like that (only worse...guy dropped girl...girl was unconsious) back in 2004.

They replayed that before the russians performance, that was nasty :( ... it was one of those twirling lifts and basically she face planted :(

The quality of compitetion seemed pretty sad, I mean the bronze medalist the chinese guy had a torn ACL and just started skating in Jan. and the silver med. had that fall...

It was nice to see Sweden beat Canada in curling. Both teams missed some easy looking shots, especially Canada towards the end.

Teddman

Y2Kevbug11 said:

I was more impressed by Pang/Tong, who were TOTALLY in harmony. They were the best PAIR I saw. And the Americans just have no artistic flair at all.
Yeah, as heart-warming as it was to see them soldier on, having a huge fall and taking minutes to regroup and continue your routine with only a one point deduction is pretty generous. Don't you get a one point deduction just for putting a hand on the ice?

Anyhow, it's pairs figure skating... The judging is f'ed up to begin with.

As for the Americans, at least they did make history with that triple axel... For which they only got like one bonus point.

methodman

Banned
Yeah a lot of stupid ass refs. How can you give chances like that to a pair, while not giving more points for another pair that tries one of the hardest moves possible?

Y2Kev

Teddman said:
Yeah, as heart-warming as it was to see them soldier on, having a huge fall and taking minutes to regroup and continue your routine with only a one point deduction is pretty generous. Don't you get a one point deduction just for putting a hand on the ice?

Anyhow, it's pairs figure skating... The judging is f'ed up to begin with.

As for the Americans, at least they did make history with that triple axel... For which they only got like one bonus point.

The new system sucks. I really dislike it.

What fun is it if you can't yell at the TV cause the French judge ranked the American lower than everyone else? And wtf is "technical score" unless we can somehow see the rationale behind each specific element.

In addition, each routine is looking almost identical except for almost non-skating choreography (again I point to Pang/Tong). Look at the death spiral. This is the first competition I've ever seen where every pair has done two (practically compulsory) death spirals. They might as well put the compulsories back into the competition.

The new system aims to remove subjectivity, but all it does it lessen the direct subjectivity of the sport and instead sprinkle bits of it all around. It's still a sport judged by humans. All the old system needed was the randomness element added. I hate this new one.

I also dislike how it devalues the short program. While the free program is certainly more important, the short was still essential for setting up the old leaderboard. It was important to do well. Seeing Sarah Hughes jump from 4th to 1st and THEN rely on her free program was riveting and exciting. This new thing is like...well everybody did all the required elements so nobody knows what is going on! Tune in at 11 to see some incomprehensible numbers flash across the screen....and a Chinese chick totally faceplants!

Y2Kevbug11 said:
The new system sucks. I really dislike it.

What fun is it if you can't yell at the TV cause the French judge ranked the American lower than everyone else? And wtf is "technical score" unless we can somehow see the rationale behind each specific element.

In addition, each routine is looking almost identical except for almost non-skating choreography (again I point to Pang/Tong). Look at the death spiral. This is the first competition I've ever seen where every pair has done two (practically compulsory) death spirals. They might as well put the compulsories back into the competition.

The new system aims to remove subjectivity, but all it does it lessen the direct subjectivity of the sport and instead sprinkle bits of it all around. It's still a sport judged by humans. All the old system needed was the randomness element added. I hate this new one.

I also dislike how it devalues the short program. While the free program is certainly more important, the short was still essential for setting up the old leaderboard. It was important to do well. Seeing Sarah Hughes jump from 4th to 1st and THEN rely on her free program was riveting and exciting. This new thing is like...well everybody did all the required elements so nobody knows what is going on! Tune in at 11 to see some incomprehensible numbers flash across the screen....and a Chinese chick totally faceplants!

NBC was showing how it works.

They have their computer, and when a trick is performed, they enter it. Each trick ahs an assigned point value. Then, the ref can chose to leave the point value, or add or subtract from it, up to +-3. So a trick worth 7 would get 4 if not performed well, and a 10 if done perfectly.

Y2Kev

I understand exactly how it works, but it is garbage. The attempt, I think, is to at least have some type of proof to back up the judge's opinion by using the video tape. It does this for someone matching the tape with the scores, but we don't get to see that-- we get an averaged number with no other explanation.

At least with the old system you could compare a judge and their score to the performance in your own mind. If someone got a 5.8, you knew it was an awesome performance. Now somebody gets a...60 in technical and I can't tell if that's good or bad...who liked what...and now, since program components is composed of five or six categories, I can't get the impression the judge basically had of the performance.

If you got a 5.0 in artistic impression, I can pretty much match up exactly what that means with the score. If you get a 50, I have no idea because all I see is one particular average.

And the deduction system is stupid. A 1.0 mandatory deduction for what the Chinese did last night?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I understand exactly how it works, but it is garbage. The attempt, I think, is to at least have some type of proof to back up the judge's opinion by using the video tape. It does this for someone matching the tape with the scores, but we don't get to see that-- we get an averaged number with no other explanation.

At least with the old system you could compare a judge and their score to the performance in your own mind. If someone got a 5.8, you knew it was an awesome performance. Now somebody gets a...60 in technical and I can't tell if that's good or bad...who liked what...and now, since program components is composed of five or six categories, I can't get the impression the judge basically had of the performance.

If you got a 5.0 in artistic impression, I can pretty much match up exactly what that means with the score. If you get a 50, I have no idea because all I see is one particular average.

And the deduction system is stupid. A 1.0 mandatory deduction for what the Chinese did last night?

68 > 64

Thats all you need to know. :)

Got home early today and caught the majority of the men's figure skating short performance on the CBC, I'll catch it tonight on NBC to see what I missed. I don't think anyone will be catching Plushenko, he's got the gold locked in.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

You have to look at the degree of difficulty and not just the execution. The chinese pair who came in second definitely had more readily apparent errors than the bronze medalists, but they also did -- in addition to their quadrupe salchow attempt -- record-setting tricks, which made their potential for points way higher than most other competitors. Also keep in mind that the bronze medalists were 5th after the short program while the silver medalists were second. Even though the short program counts for less than it used to, the difference does help explain where the pairs ended up.

Y2Kev

OpinionatedCyborg said:
You have to look at the degree of difficulty and not just the execution. The chinese pair who came in second definitely had more readily apparent errors than the bronze medalists, but they also did -- in addition to their quadrupe salchow attempt -- record-setting tricks, which made their potential for points way higher than most other competitors. Also keep in mind that the bronze medalists were 5th after the short program while the silver medalists were second. Even though the short program counts for less than it used to, the difference does help explain where the pairs ended up.

Pang/Tong were not the bronze medalists. They ended up in 4th. I was not impressed by the bronze pair, but I did love their musical selection (Madama Butterfly).

I again attribute this to the new system balogna. ;) Skaters getting points for completing the revolutions in a throw triple axel, for example, that they completely botched the landing of, seems sophistic.

aceface

I was watching Japan vs USA women's curling today, definately some cute girls on both teams, then I hear them talking about a nude women's curling calendar that I can't find anywhere on the web...help me GAF!! :lol

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
aceface said:
I was watching Japan vs USA women's curling today, definately some cute girls on both teams, then I hear them talking about a nude women's curling calendar that I can't find anywhere on the web...help me GAF!! :lol
small36_372800494266.gif

http://www.thecurlingnews.com/calendar.html

Y2Kev

Weir was really great.

Edit: NBCOlympics has a copy of Sarah Hughes in 2002-- the free skate that won her the gold medal. When I saw it the first time, I knew it was something special, but this time I watched it I realized just how freaking spectacular the routine actually was.

7 triples including 2 triple-triple combinations all hit flawlessly.

calder

WTF is up with this pro-war commercials I keep seeing on NBC? I bet in the next ad in this series they show a reenactment of Sadam personally planning and executing 9/11 all by his lonesome.

More on topic, I L-O-V-E it when something happens that's important and yet somehow slightly nuanced so Bob Costas has to take a few seconds to explain it slowly and carefully to the audience and then tell us how we should feel about it. "Shani Davis decided to skip the men's pursuit... this is why the Americans lost. Now look deep into my eyes and I will calmly explain what this means, personally, to you."

Peru said:
Mens curling, Canada - Norway now. Exciting match, offense in focus, risky plays.
Yeah, aww, Trulsen missed the shot. :[

Germany lost vs England and even when they had no chance to win, they didn't give up but had to place another stone to make it 6-7 no 5-7. Shame :[ I like our other team more.

Well at least I found the music video of Hammerfall featuring the Swedish Girls Curling team :>>>

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4598147228689285645&q=curling+team

edit: better quality: http://www.httphost1.com/curlingtjejerna/Acuvue_Hearts_on_Fire_S.mov

Alucard

Banned
Man, these Olympics are awesome. I love all of the new sports like the snowboard cross. And the skeleton is intense! (note the jiggly female ass in the replays!)

Anyways, thumbs up to the Olympics.

Timbuktu

Yay! First British medals with the skeleton. And Snowboard cross is such a great addition to the winter olympics. so intense and brutal with 4 boarders going down at the same time and the pushing by dirty Canadians, better than playing 1080 or Amped.

Y2Kev

Goddamn Weir. Should have spent less time interviewing about his fashion dreams. Needs to spend more time in the gym! No freaking stamina.

Y2Kev

That was total bullshit.

Technically Pluschenko's performance was great, but he had no artistic component at all and yet AGAIN his program component score was ridiculously high.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Goddamn Weir. Should have spent less time interviewing about his fashion dreams. Needs to spend more time in the gym! No freaking stamina.

Haha on PTI yesterday they were laughing at him cause he's such a diva and decorated his room in the athletes villiage :s

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Weir was really great.

Edit: NBCOlympics has a copy of Sarah Hughes in 2002-- the free skate that won her the gold medal. When I saw it the first time, I knew it was something special, but this time I watched it I realized just how freaking spectacular the routine actually was.

7 triples including 2 triple-triple combinations all hit flawlessly.

actually, she under rotated both combos by 1/4 to 1/2 turn each :D

You sound like you really like skating..Come join the GAF of figure skating, there's lots of girls and gay men there depending on what you like ;)

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/

eek, it may be closed to non-members, I used to be an admin there, I'll see if I can help you out.

Y2Kev

onion_pixy said:
actually, she under rotated both combos by 1/4 to 1/2 turn each :D

You sound like you really like skating..Come join the GAF of figure skating, there's lots of girls and gay men there depending on what you like ;)

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/

eek, it may be closed to non-members, I used to be an admin there, I'll see if I can help you out.

...don't let the avatar through you off...lol....just really liked the movie.

Okay, I'll check it out.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

I was :lol when the CBC chick said something like: "He is so flamboyant. He carries around a Luis Vuitton handbag." :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom