• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino 2006 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojangles

I watched the USA-Sweden Women's curling last night.

Cassie Johnson for the fucking win. She is f.i.n.e.

CassieJohnson_h.jpg

Timbuktu

Jacobellis was unbelievable, but I doubt you would see that kind of stunt in any other Olympic event. Snowboarding should be about having fun after all so there is something to be said for pulling a trick and risking wipeout rather than a straightforward cruise to victory. Still, you know everyone around the world is going to be laughing about this. It's rotten, I know, but who outside the US doesn't take a certain pleasure in seeing arrogant yanks trip themselves up.

Piper Az

Timbuktu said:
Jacobellis was unbelievable, but I doubt you would see that kind of stunt in any other Olympic event. Snowboarding should be about having fun after all so there is something to be said for pulling a trick and risking wipeout rather than a straightforward cruise to victory. Still, you know everyone around the world is going to be laughing about this. It's rotten, I know, but who outside the US doesn't take a certain pleasure in seeing arrogant yanks trip themselves up.

Well, I think a lot of people here in the U.S. probably think that was a dumb-ass move as well. Boadercross is not half-pipe; if doing a trick may compromise your race, it shouldn't be done. Besides, I don't think she would have gone for a trick in the middle of the race if "snowboarding should be about having fun". It was near the end where she was a sole leader, and she tried to do a trick - it was a borderline mocking. Not unlike a NFL receiver high-stepping towards the endzone after a big catch. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow. This curling match (US vs. Russia) is actually exciting.

STUPID AMERICANS WHY DIDNT YOU GO FOR FOUR? lol

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Wow. This curling match (US vs. Russia) is actually exciting.

STUPID AMERICANS WHY DIDNT YOU GO FOR FOUR? lol

I'm thinking the same thing! Usually curling is relaxing, but this shit is intense. Came back for the tie, even though they had an opportunity for four? I have to imagine it was because they were rushing against the clock and didn't focus there. But it's a critical mistake, 'cause Russians have the hammer. They need some smart playing or the game is gonna fall away from them. But boy, they got some momentum going in now... gotta be revitalized here.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
WTF! The US women's curling team gets a huge break and ties up the match with Russia in the 10th end and USA Network decides this is the best time to break away and cover the women's ice hockey game? Fucking show the conclusion you asshats! :mad

Amir0x

Banned
Laguna X said:
WTF! The US women's curling team gets a huge break and ties up the match with Russia in the 10th end and USA Network decides this is the best time to break away and cover the women's ice hockey game? Fucking show the conclusion you asshats! :mad

WTF YOU'RE RIGHT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Y2Kev

Piper Az said:
Well, I think a lot of people here in the U.S. probably think that was a dumb-ass move as well. Boadercross is not half-pipe; if doing a trick may compromise your race, it shouldn't be done. Besides, I don't think she would have gone for a trick in the middle of the race if "snowboarding should be about having fun". It was near the end where she was a sole leader, and she tried to do a trick - it was a borderline mocking. Not unlike a NFL receiver high-stepping towards the endzone after a big catch. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

She insists it wasn't a trick, but I don't really buy it.

SantaC

Timbuktu said:

dude she has herself to blame, and no one else. And it's not a conspiciry just because it was an american who did this. If it came from my country it would be as stupid. In the last jump before the goalline, you shouldn't show off with a trick in an event that doesn't have tricks.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Amir0x said:
WTF YOU'RE RIGHT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
I doesn't make any sense. First of all, the ice hockey match hasn't started yet. They are wasting time talking about how the women's team can win a medal (ORLY? duurrrr). Second of all, the curling match is fucking great. Not only did the US team perform a miracle entering the 10th end down by 3 and tying the score with time running out. It also featured some really nice bitches like the Johnson sisters and that really hot Russian skipper.

Oh and the ice hockey finally starts now. They could've stuck with Curling til the fucking conclusion! :mad

Y2Kev

The russian was good looking, which was jarring when you consider the short-haired redhead on her team looked like a man.

Amir0x

Banned
Laguna X said:
I doesn't make any sense. First of all, the ice hockey match hasn't started yet. They are wasting time talking about how the women's team can win a medal (ORLY? duurrrr). Second of all, the curling match is fucking great. Not only did the US team perform a miracle entering the 10th end down by 3 and tying the score with time running out. It also featured some really nice bitches like the Johnson sisters and that really hot Russian skipper.

Oh and the ice hockey finally starts now. They could've stuck with Curling til the fucking conclusion! :mad

Doesn't matter, we lost. There goes any sliver of hope US females had at a curling medal.

They were hot too, those sisters...

Anyone know the name of the third hot chick on the USA curling team.? She had the bandana on her head today and is one of the sweepers. The 3 of them are so fucking hot, as one that one russian player as well.

calder

Holy crap Sweden almost got an OT winner against the US womens team here in the semis. :-0 US has had plenty of chances too, the Swedes are playing tight D and Martin has been great in goal for Sweden.

distantmantra said:
Do you people have jobs? I wish I could sit at home and watch the live coverage of the Olympics... seriously, I do.

Same here. What do you guys do? Are you all college students taking zero classes every semester? :)

dem

lol

sweden got the americans to a shootout?
and is leading??

god i wish i wasnt at work..

LOL
Sweden WINS :lol

huuuuuuuuge choke

calder

STUNNER.

US women lose in shootout to Sweden! Unreal! I guess the womens's game isn't the 2-team tourney I thought it was early. :lol
Kim Martin outstanding in the SO, even having an extra try given to Ruggeiro Martin was unbeatable (although she was fooled on a move by Ruggeiro but Ruggero lost the puck and couldn't get a shot on the empty net - she's going to be dreaming about that for a while lol).

Hayley Wickenheiser predicted Sweden winning this game the other day... damn. I guess Ruggeiro should have worried about her team's lackluster finishing this week more than how many goals Canada was getting. ;)

Glad I took today off after working OT yesterday and wednesday. :D

Gold and Silver in Men's Skeleton for Canada, also had the 4th position as well

Canada now has 11 medals, tied for 2nd place overall :D

w00t!

SantaC

wow I wish I gambled on sweden. what a win :D

I heard that Kim Martin is going to play college hockey in the US!

dem said:
Canada has caught fire

it was lookin bleak there for a bit

Just think of Beckie Scott medalled in her best event, if Wotherspoon medalled in his best event, if Jasey-Jay Anderson wasn't DQed, if the Canadian favourite in Mens Snowboard Cross hadn't wiped out early, had the other Canadian in the Women's snowboard cross final medalled as well etc...

We could be way ahead lol but this still rocks

Amir0x

Banned
Timbuktu said:
What? You're on top in the medals table.

Technically we're in 5th, even though we have the most Gold medals. Obviously we're gonna win a lot of medals. But we're missing so many opportunities to really push the team forward this year in a lot of critical ways. Curling crash out for US Females, Women's Hockey, no sweep in snowboarding thanks to the US Women's Snowboarding Cross... etc etc

lots of bad, bad luck

Solo

Nice to see us (Canada) finally doing something this Olympics (and beating the US)! For a nation that should own the winter Olympics, we usually suck pretty hardcore. This is great so far!

pestul

Solo said:
Nice to see us (Canada) finally doing something this Olympics (and beating the US)! For a nation that should own the winter Olympics, we usually suck pretty hardcore. This is great so far!
One of the issues the program hopes to address is the dismal record of top Canadians failing to perform at the Olympics. Just 27 per cent of medal hopefuls - athletes that had two top-five World Cup finishes- at the 2002 Games actually won medals. That compares to 92 per cent for the Germans and 65 per cent for the Americans.
This is what Canada has to work on..

Boogie

Solo said:

We finished 4th in the medal count in 2002, and finished ahead of the Americans in 1998.

edit: interesting stat, pestul. Kinda confirms our choke status :-/

Solo

Still, I cant see how anyone could spin our average Olympic performance as anything other than disappointing. Thats why the 2006 games are so refreshing 1/2 way through. Canada is finally bringing it.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
jamesinclair said:
Snowboarding cross is awsome.

Whats Skeleton ?
Skeleton is similar to Luge, except you're going head-first instead of feet-first. You lie on your tummy instead of your back.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Y2Kevbug11 said:
OMG STUPID AMERICAN LOSES GOLD IN SBX ON A TRICK.

STUPID STUPID STUPID

Just saw this on NBC. What a cocky, spoiled little shit. She deserved to lose it for that.

When she gained a commanding lead, I was saying, "Please don't showboat, please don't showboat, please don't showboat," knowing exactly what could happen.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
"I tried to grab to stabilize myself, but it didn't really work :lol"

You liar! That woulda been like 1000 points in Amped 2 if you landed it

Goreomedy said:
Just saw this on NBC. What a cocky, spoiled little shit. She deserved to lose it for that.

When she gained a commanding lead, I was saying, "Please don't showboat, please don't showboat, please don't showboat," knowing exactly what could happen.

Anyone have an online link?

Everytime I hear someone use the main theme from Requiem for a Dream, as NBC just did for a piece an ice dancing pair, it baffles me... It's not an uplifting piece of music, stupid mainstream media...

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
at least she admitted that she fucked up. better than these other spoiled, overrated little bitches like bode miller, michelle kwan whining her way in and that one skater kid who had a bad 'aura'.

any talk about how hot these ice dancing chicks are? my god.

whytemyke said:
at least she admitted that she fucked up. better than these other spoiled, overrated little bitches like bode miller, michelle kwan whining her way in and that one skater kid who had a bad 'aura'.

Yah but none of them were leading and then decided to try to show everyone up and in the process busted their ass. But on the bright side for her, she'll always be remembered for htis. Most people that win medals will be forgotten once this is over. She'll be on goof reels for years to come.

whytemyke said:

any talk about how hot these ice dancing chicks are? my god.

Ice dancing is sooo boring, but damn, the women are fine.

USA's own Tanith Belbin
5114604.jpg

5114612.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom