• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Glowsquid

In Doom 3 though, if it hasn't installed it's data you can't skip the attract/intro FMV for about 2 whole minutes. Get to the main menu, eject the disc and start again, and you'll be able to skip the attract instantly.

I noticed Doom 3's HDDD caching but I didn't know it could cache multiple games. Interesting!

I recently got a replacement fan and an 80 wire IDE cable, intending it to be the last of my hardware modifications to my Xbox. I install them, put everything back together....and the hard drive is bricked, error code 07. Fuck. Not receiving any power whatsoever, swapping the stock one in works fine.

Looks like I'll be ripping my library all over again once the replacement arrives lol. At least the old PATA hard drives are cheap nowadays, so theres that.

televator

I recently got a replacement fan and an 80 wire IDE cable, intending it to be the last of my hardware modifications to my Xbox. I install them, put everything back together....and the hard drive is bricked, error code 07. Fuck. Not receiving any power whatsoever, swapping the stock one in works fine.

Looks like I'll be ripping my library all over again once the replacement arrives lol. At least the old PATA hard drives are cheap nowadays, so theres that.

That's the beauty of those old drives.

Fam: I'm tired of my old computer/my computer is broken. I'm buying a new one and throwing the old one in the garbage.

Me: Bedore you do that... **pulls out screw driver.**

I haven't had to buy a backup drive in ages. lol

Apparently at E3 Hyperkin announced a massive wired Xbox One controller called the Brute specifically to appeal to fans of the Original Xbox Duke controller.

Glowsquid

Apparently at E3 Hyperkin announced a massive wired Xbox One controller called the Brute specifically to appeal to fans of the Original Xbox Duke controller.

hyperkin-interview.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMHx6Vvcy8

this doesn't look great

like, i defended the duke earlier in this thread but it wasn't because of the size

So, installing a new HDD again prompted me to make a few more modifications to my Xbox to improve its performance. So far, I've:

-removed the clock capacitor
-installed a new PATA hard drive
-swapped out the 40 wire IDE for an 80 wire
-replaced the fan with a new 70mm one
-cleaned off and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU with Arctic Silver 5 paste
-cut off some of the metal grates on the internal case to improve airflow
-cleaned out any dust in the case, especially near the fan
-updated to he latest version of XBMC

Is there anything else that I could do that would improve performance further, without installing a modchip?

televator

So, installing a new HDD again prompted me to make a few more modifications to my Xbox to improve its performance. So far, I've:

-removed the clock capacitor
-installed a new PATA hard drive
-swapped out the 40 wire IDE for an 80 wire
-replaced the fan with a new 70mm one
-cleaned off and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU with Arctic Silver 5 paste
-cut off some of the metal grates on the internal case to improve airflow
-cleaned out any dust in the case, especially near the fan
-updated to he latest version of XBMC

Is there anything else that I could do that would improve performance further, without installing a modchip?

Have you monitored the temps on your CPU? I replaced the thermal paste as well and turned up the fan to level 5. My CPU reaches ~55-58 degrees after heavy gameplay. I wonder if that's normal. I know that if I leave the fan at 1x games tend to crash.

Have you monitored the temps on your CPU? I replaced the thermal paste as well and turned up the fan to level 5. My CPU reaches ~55-58 degrees after heavy gameplay. I wonder if that's normal. I know that if I leave the fan at 1x games tend to crash.

55 Celsius? Yeah that sounds about right, mine is a little less. If you have a 1.0 it might be more prone to heat than the later revisions.

televator

55 Celsius? Yeah that sounds about right, mine is a little less. If you have a 1.0 it might be more prone to heat than the later revisions.

I have a 1.1, but I had a look at maximum operating temp for the Pentium III Coppermine. It's listed as 75 degrees C. So it seems I'm fine.

Also, it's not really a performance mod, but apparently grounding the negative wire enables the fan to operate in 12V mode.

televator

Just to be clear, a question: XBMC can be launched from UnleashX and it can then force 16:9 on original games? Is that really as easy at it sounds? It sounds too easy...

JLynn

I bought the things needed to softmod a 1.0 made in Hungary xbox using the flash drive/USB to Xbox method. Is there an updated listing of compatible flash drives? I bought two of them as I read it's real finicky to find one and the most reccomended ones are going for too much.

Cday

Banned
From what I understand, the older the better. I used some cheap 1gb "Dane-Elec" Walmart special from the late 2000s.

JLynn

I see. I bought a newer Chinese made 512MB and luckily found on ebay an old Memorex flash drive that was on the old working list. Also bought an Xbox memory card to transfer the files in case the flash drives stop working.

Anybody had any luck using a SATA drive on an original Xbox?

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeah, any old (like really) USB drive that's under 1GB or 2GB should work.

Not me. I just used IDE drives. I don't see it as a major obstacle though. Just gotta buy one of those SATA/IDE connectors, latch it on the end of your SATA drive, plug it into the xbox and that's about it I think.

Timu

I bought the things needed to softmod a 1.0 made in Hungary xbox using the flash drive/USB to Xbox method. Is there an updated listing of compatible flash drives? I bought two of them as I read it's real finicky to find one and the most reccomended ones are going for too much.
This works 100% perfectly!!!

2056-sandisk-cruzer-blade-product-1.jpg

I would know as I used it.

televator

I see. I bought a newer Chinese made 512MB and luckily found on ebay an old Memorex flash drive that was on the old working list. Also bought an Xbox memory card to transfer the files in case the flash drives stop working.

A SATA drive requires an adapter and they usually make load times slower from what I've read. Just get a cheap old PATA/IDE drive and swap out the 40 pin ribbon with an 80 pin one.

SKINNER!

Banned
Absolutely worth it! It makes load times significantly shorter.

Including bootup? If so then I'm definitely looking into that. Ever since installing Coinops my Xbox bootup feels a bit sluggish.

Also, for some strange reason I can't boot into MS dashboard anymore. Everytime I select the option it takes me to a black screen and freezes. It doesn't really bother me but will I ever need to access the MS dashboard in the near future?

televator

Including bootup? If so then I'm definitely looking into that. Ever since installing Coinops my Xbox bootup feels a bit sluggish.

Also, for some strange reason I can't boot into MS dashboard anymore. Everytime I select the option it takes me to a black screen and freezes. It doesn't really bother me but will I ever need to access the MS dashboard in the near future?

Never timed a boot up myself, but I assume if that was a problem before then it could help with that.

The stock dash shouldn't be a problem as long as all the options were enabled. I.e. 480p - 1080i, surround sound. Or if you just use a CRT and have no need for them.

SKINNER!

Banned
Never timed a boot up myself, but I assume if that was a problem before then it could help with that.

The stock dash shouldn't be a problem as long as all the options were enabled. I.e. 480p - 1080i, surround sound. Or if you just use a CRT and have no need for them.

Ah cheers!

Those options for surround sound and 1080i are available in Unleash X no? I'm sure I saw something like that when I was playing around with PAL/NTSC 50/60hz stuff.

televator

Ah cheers!

Those options for surround sound and 1080i are available in Unleash X no? I'm sure I saw something like that when I was playing around with PAL/NTSC 50/60hz stuff.

UnleashX does have those options, but sometimes there are conflicts that require that the stock dash be on the same page.

JLynn

A few items delivered today including an Xbox to USB cable. My flash drives are still in the mail. I figured for shits and giggles I try an old SD card and a no name USB SD card reader.

My mind lost its shit when it worked.

The SD card used is a pqi Hi-Speed 60 2GB I got in 2006.

televator

A few items delivered today including an Xbox to USB cable. My flash drives are still in the mail. I figured for shits and giggles I try an old SD card and a no name USB SD card reader.

"]

Nice! Welcome to the world of endless possibilities... Get yourself some component cables, if you haven't already. Does that CRT do 480p?

"]

Xbmc4xbox can read files off of USB drives using this method too, it's pretty cool. Tried it out for fun once (I have an Xbox to USB cable for my arcade stick)

Figments

I figure it's time to ask this question.

So I have my OG Xbox hooked up to my 720p 32" TV via component cable.

And every game I play on it has crazy ghosting issues.

I've tried messing with the settings of the TV to no effect.

And I really want to play Morrowind without having all this fucking ghosting everywhere.

What do.

televator

I figure it's time to ask this question.

So I have my OG Xbox hooked up to my 720p 32" TV via component cable.

And every game I play on it has crazy ghosting issues.

I've tried messing with the settings of the TV to no effect.

And I really want to play Morrowind without having all this fucking ghosting everywhere.

What do.

Did you set the Xbox to 480p and 720p in the dash?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

"]

Where did you buy this adapter? Im looking into modding my Xbox as well, and this seems like a pretty decent solution.

Xbmc4xbox can read files off of USB drives using this method too, it's pretty cool. Tried it out for fun once (I have an Xbox to USB cable for my arcade stick)

Where did you buy this adapter? Im looking into modding my Xbox as well, and this seems like a pretty decent solution.

This is how I transfer all my files. Using a flash drive, a program called Xplorer 360 (look it up, not sure if its gaf legal to link to iso sites; it lets you move files onto the usb, including SID installer/Emulators etc.) and this cable you can get for super cheap from china. Yes it works flawlessly.

shanafan

I used to have a USB to Xbox adapter because I wanted to use a keyboard during my Phantasy Star Online sessions. I sold it on eBay just a few years ago for $15 I think. It appears those have maintained their value for what I originally paid for it.

May have gone down in price now then.

JLynn

I got it at amazon. I have prime and I'd rather wait three days than three weeks

Nice! Welcome to the world of endless possibilities... Get yourself some component cables, if you haven't already. Does that CRT do 480p?

The brown box has component cables but I'll wait until I'm settled before I use them.

Figments

Hmm... What game(s) are you trying out? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to go down the list of possible problems.

The issue pops up most notably in Morrowind (non-GOTY edition) and Halo 1 & 2, though Ninja Gaiden seems to get a bit of it, too.

Dad

So I had the itch to play a bit of my original Xbox but was saddened to find the old Thomson drive completely shot. I decided to go ahead and bite on another console with a Samsung drive, but now I'm wondering if the Samsung ones are good as is, or would I be better off modding it and running games directly off the hard drive for the sake of longevity?

televator

The issue pops up most notably in Morrowind (non-GOTY edition) and Halo 1 & 2, though Ninja Gaiden seems to get a bit of it, too.

Hmm... They're a mixed bag as far as progressive scan support. The only thing I can think of is that it might be your TV or maybe you have bad cables. How exactly does the ghosting appear? Are you sure you are using component cables and not composite cables?

JLynn

So I had the itch to play a bit of my original Xbox but was saddened to find the old Thomson drive completely shot. I decided to go ahead and bite on another console with a Samsung drive, but now I'm wondering if the Samsung ones are good as is, or would I be better off modding it and running games directly off the hard drive for the sake of longevity?

Get the Samsung drive. I bought a Samsung drive about two months after I got my xbox. Still working, and it can play CD-R and DVD recordable media.

Glowsquid

So I had the itch to play a bit of my original Xbox but was saddened to find the old Thomson drive completely shot. I decided to go ahead and bite on another console with a Samsung drive, but now I'm wondering if the Samsung ones are good as is,?

I'm no expert, but I thought the Samsung drives were considered to be the best one?

Figments

Hmm... They're a mixed bag as far as progressive scan support. The only thing I can think of is that it might be your TV or maybe you have bad cables. How exactly does the ghosting appear? Are you sure you are using component cables and not composite cables?

It appears almost like an afterimage when turning the camera, especially in darker scenes--like in a house in Morrowind. And yes, I'm using component cables. Generic ones, from Amazon. But component cables nonetheless.

Tain

Oh man, I have some Xbox to USB cables. I can use a random SD card reader and make space that way? With UnleashX can I execute XBEs off of an SD card?

That'd be great.

Dad

I'm no expert, but I thought the Samsung drives were considered to be the best one?

Yeah, that's my understanding too. I was just wondering if it was still worth the hassle of soft modding the Xbox and running games directly off the hard drive even with the Samsung drive, or if the Samsung drives are stable enough to not even worry about it burning out any time soon. Soft modding it and swapping out the hard drive seems sort of daunting since I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'm leaning more towards just leaving it as is and hoping for the best

Top Bottom