• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, so tell me about Alundra

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just ordered it off Ebay, $25 including shipping. Things that I know that made me compelled to purchase:

Zelda clone
2D goodness
Tough ass puzzles

Things I wanna know:

Playtime?
How's the script?
Music?
Replay value?
How does this compare to Saturn's "Legend Of Oasis" (my next Ebay purchase I think)?

Anyway, after I finish Zero Mission, this one is next on my list, between the sporadic Forza and 3rd Strike sessions.

Ranger X

bob_arctor said:
Just ordered it off Ebay, $25 including shipping. Things that I know that made me compelled to purchase:

Zelda clone
2D goodness
Tough ass puzzles

Things I wanna know:

Playtime?
How's the script?
Music?
Replay value?
How does this compare to Saturn's "Legend Of Oasis" (my next Ebay purchase I think)?

Anyway, after I finish Zero Mission, this one is next on my list, between the sporadic Forza and 3rd Strike sessions.

Zelda clone indeed but thougher to complete
2D goodness hell yeah!!
Tough puzzles

15-20 hours --- less extra stuff to do than in Zelda
Script --- well written but still not interesting as Zelda's ones (imo)
Replay Value --- pretty much the same as a Zelda
Shits all over Legend of Oasis

Take Forza.

Useff

Extremely difficult at times.

Memorable music.

I thought the story was very cool.

Better than LoA in almost every aspect.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wyzdom said:
Shits all over Legend of Oasis

Interesting. This is not implying Legend Of Oasis is trash, just that Alundra is that great, right? Also, in what way--overall atmosphere? Storyline? Puzzles? Visually? I've only played Oasis on my friend's Saturn and only briefly but what I did play of it I loved. Sadly, I purchased the Japanese version (Thor) for like $10 online a while back praying that I could actually deal with all the Japanese (which I did for PSX Castlevania:SOTN) but never found a good translation online.

callous

Great great game, and so much better than LoA. Look forward to it! I think the script is ten times more interesting than anything ever attempted in a Zelda game. Not that it takes a lot.

Nice choice with Alundra. One of my favorite early PSX titles.

Playtime?

Nice and meaty, IMO, but not so long that the game drags out. Pacing is pretty good, as I remember-no real "dull" points along the way.

How's the script?

Weak, with a bit of entertaining humor. The relationship stuff is pretty dry and the story itself is by no means memorable or inventive.

Standard fare. Certainly not the same caliber as some of the top shelf soundtrack fare, but not bad. Not memorable either.

Replay value?

Only after some time has passed-but that's the case for any RPGs, especially action ones.

Alundra's better. I think Alundra's a tad better in the story department and has a better puzzles, as well as superior core action mechanics.

Ranger X

bob_arctor said:
Interesting. This is not implying Legend Of Oasis is trash, just that Alundra is that great, right? Also, in what way--overall atmosphere? Storyline? Puzzles? Visually? I've only played Oasis on my friend's Saturn and only briefly but what I did play of it I loved. Sadly, I purchased the Japanese version (Thor) for like $10 online a while back praying that I could actually deal with all the Japanese (which I did for PSX Castlevania:SOTN) but never found a good translation online.

Well, Oasis series is still pretty good games but i prefer Zeldas and Alundra. Oasis feel a little bit empty. I remember the scenario and characters personnality being even more empty than Zelda and Alundra. I also prefer the way you battle in Zelda and Alundra. The "almost a brawler" feel of Oasis doesn't please me all that much.
My preference in overall is: Zelda series > Alundra > Oasis series.

If we start to talk about Alundra 2 though... LOL -- it's en entire different story

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Thanks for the info, guys. I will indeed be holed up late night in the apartment with a whole mess of weed when it comes in the mail. :) I am on this kick recently of "re-discovering" this kind of game. I started LTTP again but stopped since I really just want to track down a SNES and play it in it's original form (been playing it on emu) just to see it on the big screen again (and S-Video no less, which back then, I knew nothing of). Barring that insanity (read: wife will divorce me for Ebay addiction), I'll probably scoop the GBA one and pop into the GB Player. And of course, Minish Cap is always calling me.

Ranger X

bob_arctor said:
Thanks for the info, guys. I will indeed be holed up late night in the apartment with a whole mess of weed when it comes in the mail. :) I am on this kick recently of "re-discovering" this kind of game. I started LTTP again but stopped since I really just want to track down a SNES and play it in it's original form (been playing it on emu) just to see it on the big screen again (and S-Video no less, which back then, I knew nothing of). Barring that insanity (read: wife will divorce me for Ebay addiction), I'll probably scoop the GBA one and pop into the GB Player. And of course, Minish Cap is always calling me.

Enjoy dude! Action-RPG are so rare (fuck you all devellopers never risking one) and you just pre-ordered a great one!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Very good game. Loved it. I enjoyed it more than some of the Zelda games even. I prefer its control method as well. Alundra is a more nimble character who is capable of jumping.

It's rare to find good ARPGs in this day and age, and Alundra is one of the best out there. Enjoy and avoid the "sequel".

Shouta

Excellent game. I enjoyed Alundra quite a bit more than the Zelda games last gen (although I've never been a huge Zelda fan). Avoid the second game unless you want to play a Megaman Legends/Tron Bonne-ish spin on Alundra. As a successor to the first game, it sucks but it's a funny romp otherwise.

madara

Ah its no landstalker. Its been known as green pea soup. I tried it again after all these years and found stiff controls mixed with high difficulty made me quit after 1/3 of way thru again. There no way to get any real perception to the jumps and such needed. And rare occasion there was interesting plot point it got muddled by some stupid WD joke. "Come here you hunk of burning lovemeat" :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Eh, it's good, but overrated.

Prepare for LONGASS CUTSCENES! It'll be a good 30-40 minutes before you can even start playing, intro is supah longuu. All story events really drag on, but that intro was just a kick in the nuts especially when you are amped to just go out and slice shit up.

The dungeons are pretty great though, neat little braintwisters, but the combat is pretty weak. Collision detection is spotty, and WD really bloated the stats for enemies turning even the dumbest slimes into tank behemoths; the endboss(s) are just :grumble:. I spent 45 minutes whittling down the first form with same stupid pattern because of the millions of HP he has. That was not cool.). Oh and jumping flat out sucks.

Otherwise it's a pretty solid ARPG.

Unison

Yeah, jumping and the insane number of HPs that enemies have are the big defecits here... Landstalker's better, as are several Zelda games, but other than that you'd be hard pressed to find a better ARPG. It's certainly worth what you paid for it.

Gattsu25

Banned
great game but AVOID ALUNDRA 2 LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

Alundra and Terranigma stand as the few ARPGs that are serious contenders against the Zelda dynasty....but I admittedly have yet to *really* play any Ys or Oasis game

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Alundra is pretty cool, but it was a game where I kept playing and playing and felt there was no end in sight. I eventually just gave up. Maybe the dungeons were too long, maybe I just got bored. Dunno, but worth playing regardless.

jgkspsx

Playtime depends on whether you get all the Golden Falcons (to acquire advanced weapons and equipment).

I really liked the script and characters, but I was younger and less jaded then. Neat FMV anime bits as well.

I remember really liking the music, though not quite as much as Wild ARMs'.

This remains one of my top five favorite PSX titles. The sequel was such a pity.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
belgurdo said:
Zelda killer

It's an accolade that's never deserved if given before the release, but this far on it seems fair to me. I still think Alundra was the best Zelda game of its generation.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Alundra never grabbed me when I finally started playing it a few months ago (it was around the time I picked up a PSone w/ LCD screen).

Maybe it was the characters or the art style, or just the plodding pace, but nothing clicked with me at all.

Then again, I see Brandon F mentioned that the intro of the game is incredibly long, so maybe I was still stuck in that portion of the game. Maybe I'll throw myself back into it one more time to give it a better shot.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alundra is really one of the top games on the PSOne, IMHO, and just about the only thing on the system that really tries to be a Zelda-like game. Yet, despite the obvious aping of some of the best gameplay available imho (and quite successful aping, at that), it manages to be a highly playable, very unique title. Aping is perhaps the wrong word. Homage.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
G-d damn. That's right. Alundra 2 was absolutely atrocious. Not even a real sequel, in any sense of the word.

jett

D-Member
Overrated Zelda clone with a bad case of generic art design and repetetive gameplay.

Fun, but nowhere near Zelda.

jgkspsx

Alundra is sort of like Wind Waker in that it takes a long time to actually get started in the game. The difference is that it does get started, heh.

I dunno, I really liked the plot and the personality the town has. The town and its people actually change over the course of the game (and not in a good way). At the time it was very surprising.

Ranger X

Hellraizah said:
Didn't know you played Legend Of Oasis. I thought you only played Beyond Oasis.

Oh, and Legend Of Oasis rocks, hard.

I played your own copy of the game. I would lie if i say i played hours of it. I've been turned off by the same reason i've been turned off from Beyond Oasis too.

15-20 hours to beat Alundra? On what, the third time through? I remember playing 5-6 hours per night for a good week. I don't think the jumping is bad, I like the Working Designs translation (humor is good, especially since RPG stories are extremely weak anyway), and the puzzles kick serious ass. I don't know if it is my favorite "Zelda" game but it's up there to say the least.

jarrod

Banned
Mejilan said:
G-d damn. That's right. Alundra 2 was absolutely atrocious. Not even a real sequel, in any sense of the word.
Actually, you're right. Throughout production, "Alundra 2" was a different game entirely but last second Sony forced Matrix/Contrail to tack on the Alundra brand in hopes of it selling better (instead of selling though, it just hurt the brand). According to Matrix themselves, there is no real Alundra 2... though Dual Hearts can be seen as it's spiritual successor I think.

Wyzdom said:
My preference in overall is: Zelda series > Alundra > Oasis series.
I'd generally agree, but I do love both Oasis games. The first was just way too short though and the second just seemed to be missing something. Really, both games are too limited in scope to compare to Zelda or Alundra, even if they have much better combat mechanics.

jarrod

Banned
Wyzdom said:
Nope. Isn't it a game that didn't came out in America? I never import stuff.
It got a PAL release from Nintendo though. Great game, but tends to get overrated itself.... it's the 3rd in Quintet's creation/destruction trilogy.

01 Soul Blader (JP) Enix
01 Soul Blazer (NA/EU) Enix

02 Gaia Gensouki (JP) Enix
02 Illusion of Gaia (NA) Nintendo
02 Illusion of Time (EU) Nintendo

03 Tenchi Sozo (JP) Enix
03 Terranigma (EU) Nintendo

... Nintendo of America was planning on releasing it here titled interestingly as "Genesis" but ultimately passed. They were also planning on localizing Tactics Ogre and Dragon Quest VI, but those fell through as well... what could've been. :(

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Played it last night for the 1st time after grinning from ear to ear as I opened my mailbox.

Just briefly:
Great 2D, more detailed than I imagined it would be, especially the characters. Love the ominous beginning and the washing up on shore was totally LTTP but still awesome. Controls seem fine to me--easy to pick up and jumping hasn't been a problem for me just yet (I pretty much try to jump on everything so I can start getting used gauging depth). The script is good so far and I'm actually digging the WD humor/smart-assness. The palette is lacking overall--though everything has a noticeably "gritty" look as a result, it reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2 but in 2D. Greens and browns rule the day. Still, it could be that I'm using component and this was a game designed at most for S-Video, so maybe that isn't helping things (I notice everytime I boot up an old PS game, the PS logo's colors are completely wonky).

I stopped as soon as I got to town and saved at Jess's since Zero Mission was calling me, but I know this is one that will have me glued to the television for a long while.

To sum up, this is me with Alundra: :D :D :D

Edit: Holy Christ! Now that's a manual!!

Ranger X

bob_arctor said:
Played it last night for the 1st time after grinning from ear to ear as I opened my mailbox.

Just briefly:
Great 2D, more detailed than I imagined it would be, especially the characters. Love the ominous beginning and the washing up on shore was totally LTTP but still awesome. Controls seem fine to me--easy to pick up and jumping hasn't been a problem for me just yet (I pretty much try to jump on everything so I can start getting used gauging depth). The script is good so far and I'm actually digging the WD humor/smart-assness. The palette is lacking overall--though everything has a noticeably "gritty" look as a result, it reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2 but in 2D. Greens and browns rule the day. Still, it could be that I'm using component and this was a game designed at most for S-Video, so maybe that isn't helping things (I notice everytime I boot up an old PS game, the PS logo's colors are completely wonky).

I stopped as soon as I got to town and saved at Jess's since Zero Mission was calling me, but I know this is one that will have me glued to the television for a long while.

To sum up, this is me with Alundra: :D :D :D

Edit: Holy Christ! Now that's a manual!!

Yeah Working Design packaging is usually not cheap. And it's not your cables, the game is greenish.

Top Bottom