• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

Wait, is Saitama a lefty? Because I noticed he punched Sea King with his left arm. I mean if the shockwaves from a punch from his non dominant hand can clear the sky, he cannot be stopped

Kain

I frikking love this show, wow. It's the perfect anime for people like us who had lost faith in good shonens. I mean, it's a great shonen and at the same time it's pissing on all the conventions and tropes of the genre.

Did the animation take a hit, or is that just me. I'm talking about the drawings more so than the motion.

I think so too, but it wasn't too bad either.

Skrams

Wait, is Saitama a lefty? Because I noticed he punched Sea King with his left arm. I mean if the shockwaves from a punch from his non dominant hand can clear the sky, he cannot be stopped

Righty

I'm doing some guessing based off certain punches and the OP opening with his right fist.

I frikking love this show, wow. It's the perfect anime for people like us who had lost faith in good shonens. I mean, it's a great shonen and at the same time it's pissing on all the conventions and tropes of the genre.

Man there have a been a shitload of good shonen adaptations lately. Haikyuu, One Punch Man, Soma, Hunter x Hunter 2011, Ushio and Tora, I think even AssClass might have been good but I don't know anything about that.

JDSN

Banned
I love those small quiet moments in the show, weird how a gag anime features such a surprisingly neat deception of depression. Genos's beating and the acid stuff was one of the most brutal things ive seen recently. This stuff is so anticlimatic, we dont even the pleasure of seeing the Sea King comment on Saitama's power hahah.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Saitama is such an interesting character, especially in this ep. What does he care about? He doesn't care for glory or recognition, but the hero association rankings do matter, even beyond just avoiding the quota

somedevil

Saitama is such an interesting character, especially in this ep. What does he care about? He doesn't care for glory or recognition, but the hero association rankings do matter, even beyond just avoiding the quota

To him being a hero is a hobby. So him ranking up is just part of it. The real thing is he is looking for is a battle with someone who can actually do damage to him. He lacks that thrill he had in his early days when he had hair before he became bald and extremely strong.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I hope they never pull a "oh shit this villain didn't go down in one punch, the tension is reeeeeal now" turn. That would be a cheap way to get a bunch of reactions from people but I like that this show is entirely about finding other ways to tell an interesting story when you know the conclusion to every fight is going to be anticlimactic, at least in a traditional action sense

Two tiny changes I noticed:

-In the manga, the mail is dropped off by a parachute from a plane, not a drone.

-Sweet Mask isn't shown the video of the punch on a tablet when he's briefed. Instead, the guys in the room above watching Saitama watch the video, and it's shown from a different angle and less detail that makes it more ambiguous for people who don't know Saitama and more impressive for readers: one frame, the Sea King is tilted back as he's punched, the very next he's on the ground, as if Saitama's punch was so fast that nobody could really see just how powerful it was from the shelter.

Ezalc

I hope they never pull a "oh shit this villain didn't go down in one punch, the tension is reeeeeal now" turn. That would be a cheap way to get a bunch of reactions from people but I like that this show is entirely about finding other ways to tell an interesting story when you know the conclusion to every fight is going to be anticlimactic, at least in a traditional action sense

The easiest way to circumvent this is to have the villain dodge CAPED BALDY's punches, the problem is that if he gets serious then they can't even do that, and also that Sonic is just a gag villain within other gag villains in a gag anime.

Also: ONE has said that if Sonic had actually had his weapons, he'd have beaten the Sea King.

Interestingly, he also said that Sonic and Genos (at the time he wrote that) would tie in a fight, which given this episode is confirmation that Genos gets stronger every time his parts get replaced.

Dereck

Are we talking Sea King without water or regardless? I can buy that Sonic could have killed dry Sea King with a weapon.

Well he definitely gets stronger with better parts, but an issue of Genos is that he keeps underestimating/turning his back on his opponents. He even says so in this episode. He's probably already at or close to a Sonic level but keeps getting cocky.

Also: ONE has said that if Sonic had actually had his weapons, he'd have beaten the Sea King.

Interestingly, he also said that Sonic and Genos (at the time he wrote that) would tie in a fight, which given this episode is confirmation that Genos gets stronger every time his parts get replaced.
He would have beaten Sea King's dry form.

Still, Sonic is ridiculously strong even if his constant jobbing to Saitama overshadows the fact. Easily on level with lower-tier S class Heroes like Puri and Genos.

somedevil

Is there a link to the one interview?

Tripon

Ep 9 teaser.

CU5BYSVUkAAuVz7.jpg

https://twitter.com/opm_anime/status/670545281029701632

Dahbomb

Hot damn this episode god the manly blood flowing!

Genos manly, Rider manly, Saitama manly.

One Punch Man gonna one punch. Everyone got legit shook.

Loved that Saitama played the heel so that the other heroes got some respect. He really IS the hero that the city deserves.

The season ends at episode 12 right?

In that case it seems like the three episode would be the s rank hero vs the alien invasion, ending with Saitama beating one eyed alien overlord guy and blowing up the spaceship. Seems a fittng end to a season.

Dereck

Not surprising but I'm kind of miffed on how Genos is still kind of underestimating his opponents when he seems to be very level-headed and calculated when it comes down to tracking down and analyzing his opponents.

Like, I thought that maybe he would know that a punch to the face of The Sea King didn't actually kill the guy.

somedevil

Yes, there's stuff in here that Murata hasn't even gotten to yet in the redraw, so read very carefully.

Here's a collection of different interviews with ONE, Murata and the anime crew/cast. The one in question is the Niconico interview w/ONE.

There is a ton of interesting info about the series in these interviews but also a lot of manga and webcomic spoilers, so be careful.

Edit: Quack, you should probably label what type of spoiler that is so people don't acci-click on it thinking it's current episode stuff.

Thanks but don't worry I've read all 104 chapters of One version. The thing is after the anime is over they better wait a year or two to do the next season based on what Murata is doing right now.

sonicmj1

I was hoping his punch knocked the rain away, but didn't stop it, so we'd get that cool effect where it briefly clears and then continues.

Anyway, this episode totally delivered. Genos's fight was excellent, as was the care given to Mumen Rider's attacks. It's great seeing Saitama connect with him through their shared heroism.

Any fight that Saitama is involved in isn't going to be particularly interesting, but the cast around him is strong enough that they can carry the stakes themselves.

Limit

Out of all the villains so far my favorite has been that ultimate creature from the mad scientist's lab who in his first attack attempt realized how strong Saitama is and immediately jumped away. I wouldn't at all mind that gag repeated a few more times with future villains where the stronger the villain is the more she/he is able to realize the depths of Saitama's true power and gets legit shook by it.

I love how the villains don't show up in ascending power level, Carnage and Vaccine Man seemed a lot stronger than Sea King but none of that matters cause ONE PUNCH.

JDSN

Banned
Not surprising but I'm kind of miffed on how Genos is still kind of underestimating his opponents when he seems to be very level-headed and calculated when it comes down to tracking down and analyzing his opponents.

Like, I thought that maybe he would know that a punch to the face of The Sea King didn't actually kill the guy.

As stoic as he likes to think he is it seems to me that Genos is cocky, arrogant and a show off, he likes the attention he gets and takes way too much pride in his battle analysis. In contrast Saitama presents himself as aloof and dumb when in reality he has a very understanding of the situations he is placed in.

I love how the villains don't show up in ascending power level, Carnage and Vaccine Man seemed a lot stronger than Sea King but none of that matters cause ONE PUNCH.

Beefcake probably could've given some S ranks a run for their money had Saitama not been around in the area, shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom