• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online gamer plays for 50 hours, dies

This happens like every month in Korea. Also, if these people are playing 50 hours straight in some internet cafe, wouldn't it be more convenient to buy the fucking game for themselves?

SKluck said:
I bet I could to that and not die. Weak Korean boys.

I probably would die though from 50 hours like that, heck maybe even less. I don't have that good of a health. First thing I would probably do is start shaking and sweating from lack of food even if it's hot outside, before I completely lose consiousness and lapse into a coma.

_Angelus_

Banned
Theres addiction and theres insanity. I can't imagine playing a game for that long. I play a game for an hour or two and then I'm done with it for the day,heh.

SantaC

Gold Member
wtf I lanned 48 hours straight a couple of years ago. I felt exhausted, but nowhere close of dying.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
SantaCruZer said:
wtf I lanned 48 hours straight a couple of years ago. I felt exhausted, but nowhere close of dying.
Whoa! Saved by two hours! :) It's sad though, I can't imagine not sleeping that long. Heck, I almost can't imagine not sleeping right now!

opkal

The body starts to tell the brain that it needs certain things after a while, I can't imagine how addicted someone must be to physically resist the need for food, water, activity etc.

Unless, of course, this guy was on such an adrenaline rush that his body couldn't feel a thing and eventually just keeled over, like that one James Bond villain in The World is Not Enough.

Pimpbaa

opkal said:
The body starts to tell the brain that it needs certain things after a while, I can't imagine how addicted someone must be to physically resist the need for food, water, activity etc.

Unless, of course, this guy was on such an adrenaline rush that his body couldn't feel a thing and eventually just keeled over, like that one James Bond villain in The World is Not Enough.

Yeah, never could understand how people can ignore the basic needs for so long. sleep + food + poon > gaming.

Ranger X

Unbelievable AGAIN.
Let's try to find something positive in all this like err... maybe the guy didn't had any childs yet and his stupid genes are dead with him.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
And here we are calling ourselves hardcore gamers. All of our tags should be changed to weaksauce by default in honor of the guy who gave his life, for gaming.

Miburou

Propagandhim said:
This happens like every month in Korea. Also, if these people are playing 50 hours straight in some internet cafe, wouldn't it be more convenient to buy the fucking game for themselves?

His PC and internet connection are probably not as powerful/fast as the ones in the internet cafe.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Miburou said:
His PC and internet connection are probably not as powerful/fast as the ones in the internet cafe.
oh yeah, that makes sense, considering the whole damn country is wired to a broadband network.

Most likely he was lanning at the internet cafe with other people who came in, and when other people left, he continued playing online.

Datrio

keeblerdrow said:
i told u i was hardcore
Shit, I was about to post that.

Anyway, this isn't new in Asia. A quick search for "gamer dies" on Google brings us this:

A 24 year old jobless South Korean man has been found dead after a marathon-and-a-half 86 hour gaming session in an internet cafe.

9th Oct 2002
The 27 year-old Taiwanese man collapsed after playing computer games for 32 hours non-stop.

22 Oct 2002
A teenager died in the Russian city of Ekaterinburg after 12 hours of playing computer games.

June 23, 2005

But I'm sure there were more. This isn't the fourth death - the doctors just don't care that their patients were playing a video game for gazillion of hours. They know he had a heart condition, weak organism, or what-the-hell - it's his fault he played a game without stopping, eating normally, sleeping, etc. If they'd been watching horror movies, or something like that, they'd probably die too.

aoi tsuki

Funny you don't hear many stories about Japanese dying while playing games. Given the suicide rate in Japan, you'd think death by video game overdose would be more popular.

Datrio

aoi tsuki said:
Funny you don't hear many stories about Japanese dying while playing games. Given the suicide rate in Japan, you'd think death by video game overdose would be more popular.
Simple - video games are like oxygen for them. You can't overdose air.

...Well, you can, but you know what I mean.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can't imagine doing ANYTHING for 50 straight hours.

If this was such a big problem in South Korea all they would need to do is legislate to make it illegal for Internet Cafes and establishments with publicly accessible Internet points to open for more than 24 consecutive hours.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
...so what killed him? It says he took naps and had bathroom breaks, so he must have drank too. I dispute that exhaustion could be the only cause.

Maybe the radiation from the screen can do it. It fucks with my eyes if I'm staring at any kind of screen for more than a couple of hours. I get really disoriented.

Anyway, this guy is an idiot and same goes for all the other morons who died from playing games.

FightyF

Banned
One reason that could explain why you hear this coming from there more than anywhere else is because of the fact that NK has a lot of these types of Internet Cafes, whereas they aren't that big in other countries.

Top Bottom