• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 33% of Wo Long Xbox players have beaten the first boss

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
wo-long-fallen-dynasty-blogroll-1677730789544.jpg

It's safe to say that a major factor here is Wo Long's availability in Xbox Game Pass, with any subscribers free to jump into Team Ninja's new adventure and try it out. There's a good chance that many players will simply bounce off the game and never come back after being knocked around by the challenging first boss, and some may not even have made it that far before deciding the game wasn't for them and giving up. Compare the Xbox numbers to other platforms where the game isn't available as part of a subscription service and there's a huge disparity that backs up this notion — Journey's Beginning sits at a 33% unlock rate on Xbox, compared to a whopping 85% on both PlayStation and Steam, where players have had to buy the game and are therefore naturally more committed to getting through it.

There then follows a pretty steep but steady drop-off in unlocks for the rest of the 17 story-based achievements, gradually falling to just 2% by the time we get to the final story pops — that lower tail end is to be expected when the game has barely been out a week and many will still be working their way through it. As you might expect from a dedicated achievement-hunting community, tracked TrueAchievements players are off to a considerably better start, with roughly half of those with Wo Long on their tags now past the first hurdle. Interestingly, though, TA player unlocks actually dip below the global Xbox level slightly in the mid-to-late-game, before evening out to the same 2% unlock rate as the wider Xbox pool on the last few achievements.

wo-long-xbox-first-boss-achievement.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
These fools are the same fools who say they’ve beaten every Souls game including Sekiro.

I swear Gamepass is a curse. If this game had the title ”Dark Souls 4”, people would have give a damn and actually started parrying his unblockable attacks instead of taking the beaten like it’s their highschool bully irl.

wo-long-fallen-dynasty-blogroll-1677730789544.jpg

It's safe to say that a major factor here is Wo Long's availability in Xbox Game Pass, with any subscribers free to jump into Team Ninja's new adventure and try it out. There's a good chance that many players will simply bounce off the game and never come back after being knocked around by the challenging first boss, and some may not even have made it that far before deciding the game wasn't for them and giving up. Compare the Xbox numbers to other platforms where the game isn't available as part of a subscription service and there's a huge disparity that backs up this notion — Journey's Beginning sits at a 33% unlock rate on Xbox, compared to a whopping 85% on both PlayStation and Steam, where players have had to buy the game and are therefore naturally more committed to getting through it.

There then follows a pretty steep but steady drop-off in unlocks for the rest of the 17 story-based achievements, gradually falling to just 2% by the time we get to the final story pops — that lower tail end is to be expected when the game has barely been out a week and many will still be working their way through it. As you might expect from a dedicated achievement-hunting community, tracked TrueAchievements players are off to a considerably better start, with roughly half of those with Wo Long on their tags now past the first hurdle. Interestingly, though, TA player unlocks actually dip below the global Xbox level slightly in the mid-to-late-game, before evening out to the same 2% unlock rate as the wider Xbox pool on the last few achievements.

wo-long-xbox-first-boss-achievement.jpg

I love souls games and somehow I couldn’t play this for more than 10 minutes. It just felt off to me.

xrnzaaas

I’ve got Gamepass on my pc and I definitely don’t put as much effort into a game when I didn’t “pay” for it.
That was how my first contact with Game Pass looked like - I treated the games more like free trials and I was dropping them rather quickly. When I buy something I try to persevere even when there's a more difficult moment or when I get stuck in something like a metroidvania or adventure game.

Freeman76

These fools are the same fools who say they’ve beaten every Souls game including Sekiro.

I swear Gamepass is a curse. If this game had the title ”Dark Souls 4”, people would have give a damn and actually started parrying his unblockable attacks instead of taking the beaten like it’s their highschool bully irl.

What a dickish comment.

Ive smashed every From game and that first boss on Wo Long took me over an hour to beat.

Part of the problem is muscle memory from Souls games when this is very different.

anthony2690

Banned
Here we go again.

Game pass makes games accessible to to everyone.

33% is higher than expected, as there is a lot of 1 star reviews complaining that the first boss is too hard.

So millions of people will install the game and then move on if they get stuck or don't like the game.

& People on playstation and PC most likely know what they are getting into, as they've most likely just went out there way to drop £50 on the game.

Look at something like Hogwarts Legacy on Xbox, it's 40+ hour game & 41% off Xbox owners have beat it already. (What I personally think is really high for a large game)

& 31+% have done all the friend side quests.

& 7% for every side quest (I bet people are struggling to find well well well, I had to Google my last quest)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Here we go again.

Game pass makes games accessible to to everyone.

33% is higher than expected, as there is a lot of 1 star reviews complaining that the first boss is too hard.

So millions of people will install the game and then move on if they get stuck or don't like the game.

& People on playstation and PC most likely know what they are getting into, as they've most likely just went out there way to drop £50 on the game.

Look at something like Hogwarts Legacy on Xbox, it's 40+ hour game & 41% off Xbox owners have beat it already. (What I personally is really high for a large game)

& 31+% have done all the friend side quests.

& 7% for every side quest (I bet people are struggling to find well well well, I had to Google my last quest)
Why are you here not feeding the negative xbox threads?
Are you new here or something?

Really though, thanks for the level headed and reasonable posts...all facts.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
What's the problem with this stat? I have taken a quick look at loads of games and decided that I didn't feel like persevering after a few minutes. You should see my Forza record. About 5 races in all of them. I'm not a racing game fan, but I like to have a look at the visuals.

It's nice to be able to check out games that people are talking about without having to buy all of them.

Edit: beaten to it by anthony2690 anthony2690 :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
That's what Game Pass is for. People can try genres and games they usually wouldn't have bought. So of course many people will just delete it quickly if they don't like it, because they didn't pay for it. On other systems people paid 70 Euros, know what they bought and don't want to throw that money away. So they try harder.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
Wo Long is my first souls-like game and I’m loving it. Just beat the 3rd boss (the massive wild boar thing). Never bought any of them previously because of all the comments on how impossibly hard these games are so I didn’t want to waste my money on a game I was going to drop after 2h.

Now I’m looking forward to trying Sekiro after Wo Long - Anybody know how the the difficulty compares between these 2 games?

Though it’s been just one week, it’s just your average Ni-oh game so kind of expected.

I played just for one hour on PC and I got bored, while I’ve spent hundreds of hours on DS titles and Elden Ring

mxbison

Wo Long is my first souls-like game and I’m loving it. Just beat the 3rd boss (the massive wild boar thing). Never bought any of them previously because of all the comments on how impossibly hard these games are so I didn’t want to waste my money on a game I was going to drop after 2h.

Now I’m looking forward to trying Sekiro after Wo Long - Anybody know how the the difficulty compares between these 2 games?

Sekiro is much harder.

Great game though, you should definitely try it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro is my favourite FROM game of all time but keep in mind, Sekiro is an action game not RPG so you can’t grind and its SP only, that means you can’t summon someone to help you out.

Last edited:

Alx

What's the problem with this stat? I have taken a quick look at loads of games and decided that I didn't feel like persevering after a few minutes. You should see my Forza record. About 5 races in all of them. I'm not a racing game fan, but I like to have a look at the visuals.

It's nice to be able to check out games that people are talking about without having to buy all of them.

Edit: beaten to it by anthony2690 anthony2690 :messenger_grinning:
Yeah 33% seems like a lot actually, considering many gamepass users will try it to see what the game is about, and a large majority will probably decide it's not for them (I'm pretty sure I'll be in that category actually). Even for games with regular distribution one can see through achievements that many gamers don't go very far into them. It's all the more true when there's no additional cost to try the game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Journey's Beginning sits at a 33% unlock rate on Xbox, compared to a whopping 85% on both PlayStation and Steam, where players have had to buy the game and are therefore naturally more committed to getting through it.
Does this indicate that people who buy the game (vs. those who play through a multi-game subscription service) have a higher engagement rate?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This is how i came to find out what Ni-Oh is.

My cousin bought the game cuz it was Team Ninja and had a cool boxart....so obviously it was going to Ninja Gaiden 3-ish (forgive him it was his first forway into Ninja Gaiden).
He failed so hard he came over to my apartment with his profile to see if I could deck the first boss.....took me a second to understand the Ki-Pulse stuff especially if you hadnt actually played the tower.....but got past the fucker.
My cousin just left the game with me and has never mentioned it again.

Not surprised people are trying the game out for free.....getting raped and deciding....nope not for me.

Yeah 33% seems like a lot actually, considering many gamepass users will try it to see what the game is about, and a large majority will probably decide it's not for them (I'm pretty sure I'll be in that category actually). Even for games with regular distribution one can see through achievements that many gamers don't go very far into them. It's all the more true when there's no additional cost to try the game.
Gamepass has issues with player retention since it sort of renders the games available worthless. So it’s very common to just download, play a game for a few minutes and then remove them again.

Which is why MS player numbers are very misleading because they’re based on number of downloads and not if people are actually playing them. Unfortunately when they say a game is being super successful because it has been downloaded 12 million times it means very much nothing.

It’s not just gamepass having this issue. Netflix said before that viewer numbers were the number of people watching at least a large percentage of a video, now they changed it to: you are a viewer if you watch longer than 30 seconds or something like that, so it’s impossible to measure quality of programming and actual engagement (which explains partly why all the woke stuff is just being smashed on that service since it doesn’t have to be qualitative programming).

RCU005

This happened to me with Kena. I bought the game, but I haven’t liked it as much due to many weird design choices (I already want a remake with better gameplay design, lol). But since I spent money on it, I’m “forcing” myself to finish it and complete all of it (except the trophy for playing it on the hardest difficult, to hell with that).

I guess that GamePass allows to “try” the game and since you have so many options to choose, it’s easy just to drop a game and go to the next one.

Netflix decided that a “watched” movie would count of it passes like just 2 minutes. That it’s ridiculous! They can say X TV show is the most watched on Netflix, when the majority didn’t even watch past the opening credits. So I believe they did that, because they noticed the same behavior: People just pressing play and dropping it so fast because they can try other things quickly. When you go to the movies or buy a DVD, you watch the entire movie. It would have to be so bad for you to leave or stop watching it.

FUBARx89

What is this parrying you speak of? I know only the ancient arts of unga bunga and the roly poly. Not these heathen arts of parrying.

Ozriel

M$FT
Gamepass has issues with player retention since it sort of renders the games available worthless. So it’s very common to just download, play a game for a few minutes and then remove them again.

Which is why MS player numbers are very misleading because they’re based on number of downloads and not if people are actually playing them. Unfortunately when they say a game is being super successful because it has been downloaded 12 million times it means very much nothing.

It’s not just gamepass having this issue. Netflix said before that viewer numbers were the number of people watching at least a large percentage of a video, now they changed it to: you are a viewer if you watch longer than 30 seconds or something like that, so it’s impossible to measure quality of programming and actual engagement (which explains partly why all the woke stuff is just being smashed on that service since it doesn’t have to be qualitative programming).

Anyone with brains knows that high player count isn’t ‘meaningless’ since a LOT of Gamepass games don’t get past a few million players at best.

For 10 - 25 million people to play a game, it means it’s really resonating with the market.

Anyone with brains knows that high player count isn’t ‘meaningless’ since a LOT of Gamepass games don’t get past a few million players at best.

For 10 - 25 million people to play a game, it means it’s really resonating with the market.
Yes if you define playing as actually playing the game, and not downloading, starting it and turning it off after 10 minutes. That’s exactly the point I’m making. It is a meaningless number in the way MS handles this, as in you downloaded and started the game up once, it’s not a meaningless number if you say 10-25 million people played the game for at least 60%.

hemo memo

Gold Member
That’s good. With the lack of demos, if people actually bought this they would force themselves to at least get their money worth.

Better this way. Play.. game not for you.. drop it. Better than getting stuck at 3rd or 4th boss and come in here complaining that the game sucks.

Garibaldi

I love the Nioh games. Didn't even realise this was on GP. Spot on. I nearly bought it on Steam. If it's anything like Sekiro I'm in for a treat this weekend....

(Will no doubt be part of the 67%ers club come Monday)

I m on chapter 3-1 but i stopped playing as i m waiting for a patch. The achievement you should get at the end of 3-2 might not pop atm. Its definetely bugged when you play coop but i ve read some people didnt get it even when playing solo. Patch should be released soon according to trueachievements.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Only thing this proves is that the ‘XX million people have played this game’ stats are utterly meaningless.

feynoob

Banned
How many Xbox players does wolong has?

If there is 2m userbase of gamepass users, that is 600k people finishing the boss. The number will be high depending on how many people played on gamepass.

As for not beating the first boss that is normal.

I have yet to beat the first boss of sekiro. Died too many times and just gave up.

Last edited:
That’s actually much higher than I expected especially for a game like Wo Long which is very untraditional game in a sense on the XBOX. Not going to lie. The first boss for a casual is probably torture.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

"Well, 5m people watched every single second of 'war man: the story of saving America from the libs' but 7m people watched "my big gay wedding: Caribbean edition" for an average of 32 seconds before turning it off" what do you want to fund next, Mr Netflix?

"The numbers make it obvious. Cancel war man. Green light for 10 series of MBGW. Let's see if we can film in North Korea for the next one" (glitter and rainbows appear).

Is that what you're saying is happening?

Bojji

Dark souls games are much better than anything team ninja had made. I have beaten every souls style title but i quit Nioh and based on the demo Wo Long is not that great either.

No one is close to FS in terms of quality of their games (not technical quality, lol).

Top Bottom