• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 33% of Wo Long Xbox players have beaten the first boss

Did I talk or mention the quality of the shows?

'Good' shows get cancelled, all the fucking time cause they have shit ratings and the opposite is true.

We did go on a 90 degree tangent, didn't we?
You do yes. We can agree on that.

Literal quote: 1899 rated second among the Top 10 TV English titles on Netflix during the first week of its release, with 79.27 million hours watched

And this list is just a small selection of cancelled great shows. Cowboy bebop was a number 1 top 10 item for the week it released in, cancelled, and there are many more.

Last edited:

DrFigs

33% is a lot though. if it's like other souls games, it's just a really hard game.

edit: i'm dumb. it clearly says more people beat it on ps and pc.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You think an 8.4 IMDb score for example doesn’t count as quality? IMDb scores are pretty fair in general still and 8.4 describes something as very good to me.

I've never heard of Julie and the Phantoms, but it's gay characters and mixed race cast seem to be exactly the kind of thing that "woke" people *shudder* want to see getting represented in films and tv.

Are you woke and just don't realize it?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
But why did 85% of people on PS5 and PC beat the first boss?

Because 100% of that 85% were fans of the genre, and chose to buy it.

Game Pass is going to have plenty of people who had no intention of ever buying Wo Long. They don’t normally play the genre, but it caught their eye and they decided to give it a download.

Would we have a thread about PlayStation gamers if a small percentage beat the first section of a PS Plus game?

I've never heard of Julie and the Phantoms, but it's gay characters and mixed race cast seem to be exactly the kind of thing that "woke" people *shudder* want to see getting represented in films and tv.
Are you woke and just don't realize it?
girlboss is a series about about a girl starting an own company. Doesn’t seem very woke you me. Broke back mountain is a gay movie but it’s not a woke movie. Star Trek Discovery is super woke though.

There’s a difference between telling a story where some or all of the characters are gay and whatnot vs force feeding you how awesome it is to be gay and if you don’t accept it we’ll be coming for you.

For Star Trek discovery it was more important to have the first gay kiss, a them character and other stuff than to think about the actual storyline. And almost every episode they force feed you the wokeness in it.

The latest season of American Horror Story is about the gay community, because the story is about the gay community. And not because they force feed you woke ideas. Big differences there are.

I absolutely detest forced wokeness and telling people what words they can or can not use. But I support everyone in their journey to be and become whoever they want to be, whether it’s gay straight other things or whatever.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because 100% of that 85% were fans of the genre, and chose to buy it.

Game Pass is going to have plenty of people who had no intention of ever buying Wo Long. They don’t normally play the genre, but it caught their eye and they decided to give it a download.

Would we have a thread about PlayStation gamers if a small percentage beat the first section of a PS Plus game?

Probably not. But there's only one company that primarily pushes "Gaming minutes played" as a stat for their big releases. The other two just tell you how much their games sell.

I’ve beaten Sekiro several times, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, etc. and I‘m really looking forward to Wo Long. I’m in the middle of playing other stuff I wanna get through first, but I still downloaded it (via gamepass) and fired up the first level just to see how it is. I’ll get to it soon, but until then I’m skewing the stats like a lot of others. After a few months that achievement % will be more reflective of reality.

One out of the 10 shows in the linked article aka 'not of viewership stats'

It's like people don't read my post.
Oh god

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

You don’t look further than the length of your nose my man. It sounds like you just want to put someone down on a technicality than actual just want to understand the point being made. I gave you a second show as well, not referenced in the article but if you do some digging there are many many more.

Which shows do that?
It’s a figure of speech, but take Star Trek discovery as an example of Velma, or many others. Gay characters nowadays are casted because they have to be, by a commission and it’s super obvious and detrimental to the shows.

And after that they start talking about it in their making of shows, 30 minutes of banter about how gay everything is which has nothing, zero, absolutely nothing to do with the actual content and story there should be.

Unfortunately the woke group ruined it for themselves. Broke back mountain or some other movies are about how you do it right. It’s part of the story telling, not window dressing. With all this forced window dressing now they only reap negative reactions instead of positive, and for good reason.

Then try to mention anything about it on REE and you’re banned for life. They’re not even allowed to utter the word Harry Potter there or the name of that new video game. It’s a very sad state of affairs that actually literally equals fascism

Last edited:

reksveks

Oh god

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

You don’t look further than the length of your nose my man. It sounds like you just want to put someone down on a technicality than actual just want to understand the point being made. I gave you a second show as well, not referenced in the article but if you do some digging there are many many more.
I ain't doing your digging for you except for the one cowboy bepop had 74m hrs first week and then dropped off 60%.

Without context re where does that place in comparison to the rest of the shows and the cost, its rather pointless anyways.

I don't want to put you down but you assumed that I didn't read the article.

I ain't doing your digging for you except for the one cowboy bepop had 74m hrs first week and then dropped off 60%.

Without context re where does that place in comparison to the rest of the shows and the cost, its rather pointless anyways.

I don't want to put you down but you assumed that I didn't read the article.
Ok sorry for that assumption I made there. Good point 👍

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

Very grown up of you to post a wall of gifs without any context or about who it even is. I admitted I made a mistake and I think that’s a way better approach to solve issues as to be stubbornly disagreeing. But hey, you do you.
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

Bruv I didnt even read the thread, the gifs are for the people who quit at the first boss.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Does this indicate that people who buy the game (vs. those who play through a multi-game subscription service) have a higher engagement rate?
They are already engaged enough before playing it to fork over $70.

Plus anyone buying a game day one obviously has masochistic tendencies and this game sounds like it would play well with that audience.

Gambit2483

This just doesn't make sense. The more a game costs, the more likely it is to attract people who are already interested in that game, genre, or franchise and will be overlooked by most of the rest.

The last part I don't get either. They're all getting a GP deal. I doubt Sony is putting MLB The Show on GP charity.

And completely "free" games may give the sense they are disposable or not worth your time if you aren't immediately hooked. If someone bought Ninja Gaiden and put it down after the first boss battle they'd be missing out on an extremely good game...but since they bought it they might give it another chance ad it could end up being one of their favorite games/franchises

That's my point, they all got GP deals...but would they have even been on the platform if MS didn't pay for it? You can't realistically pay for every game to be on your platform. Does that mean your platform misses out on a game when a Publisher demands to be paid to support your console? It's not feasible.

Last edited:

TonyK

First boss is a too early difficulty wall for a player that tries the game in Gamepass and it's not committed with the game, so a 33% success is A LOT in my opinion.

ironmang

And completely "free" games may give the sense they are disposable or not worth your time if you aren't immediately hooked. If someone bought Ninja Gaiden and put it down after the first boss battle they'd be missing out on an extremely good game...but since they bought it they might give it another chance ad it could end up being one of their favorite games/franchises

That's my point, they all got GP deals...but would they have even been on the platform if MS didn't pay for it? You can't realistically pay for every game to be on your platform. Does that mean your platform misses out on a game when a Publisher demands to be paid to support your console? It's not feasible.
I don't see how it's any different than playing a demo or watching a gameplay video and deciding that game isn't for you. At least this way if you enjoy it you can just keep playing for free. If the person "gave another chance" to a game they bought, it's equally as likely they still won't like it but will keep playing only to extract value.

You mean would they have let MS put their game on GP without getting anything in return? Of course not lol. Not sure what you're getting at.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Isn't the game like Sekiro, where you can't even over level to beat the AI bullies?

Not really, but the game demands you show basic mastery of the parry system or you won't get out of the tutorial!

Past that the game opens out quite a bit and you can create quite tanky builds, magic based builds, and others with super powerful burst damage to destroy enemies in a few hits.

Its still basically Nioh. Just stripped back a bit on complexity and loot volume, and with an emphasis on countering power attacks.

Techies

Input queue on the attacks are messed up. That's what messes up the timing of deflecting.

If you see the enemy is about the do a power attack, and you press the attack button twice, followed by the deflect button, your character will go through both attack animations, before doing the deflect. It's not like other games where parry becomes the next action or cancels your current animation. This boss forces you to play aggressive, so in the start of the game if you use a weapon with slow animation and don't notice that there is an input qeue, it will feel like your timing is off, when in fact, your deflect never triggered when you thought it did, because another attack was qeued.

I blame the game design.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Input queue on the attacks are messed up. That's what messes up the timing of deflecting.

If you see the enemy is about the do a power attack, and you press the attack button twice, followed by the deflect button, your character will go through both attack animations, before doing the deflect. It's not like other games where parry becomes the next action or cancels your current animation. This boss forces you to play aggressive, so in the start of the game if you use a weapon with slow animation and don't notice that there is an input qeue, it will feel like your timing is off, when in fact, your deflect never triggered when you thought it did, because another attack was qeued.

I blame the game design.
Or you could just use the guard counter, like the game designed, to animation cancel. The design is fine, you just have to use the tools available.

Gambit2483

I don't see how it's any different than playing a demo or watching a gameplay video and deciding that game isn't for you. At least this way if you enjoy it you can just keep playing for free. If the person "gave another chance" to a game they bought, it's equally as likely they still won't like it but will keep playing only to extract value.

You mean would they have let MS put their game on GP without getting anything in return? Of course not lol. Not sure what you're getting at.

It's not "like a demo" when it's the full game release. I'm not sure how you don't understand the concept of "devaluing" a game ultimately hurts the developers and publishers that spend several years and millions of dollars just for people to put zero dollars, zero investment and 5 minutes into playing their game. Maybe that's OK for indie games or mobile games but not for multi-million dollar games.

I'm not saying their games should be put on Gamepass free, I'm saying Gamepass could potentially BLOCK MS from recieving certain games if a publisher refuses to release it at all because they instead demand MS pay them to release the game on their platform, i.e. Either pay us to support you (with this title) or we just won't support you (with this title) at all. Nintendo and Sony didn't need to pay ATLUS to release Persona on their respective platform. This line of thinking by publishers would ultimately hurt MS.

Does that make more sense?

Last edited:
wo-long-fallen-dynasty-blogroll-1677730789544.jpg

It's safe to say that a major factor here is Wo Long's availability in Xbox Game Pass, with any subscribers free to jump into Team Ninja's new adventure and try it out. There's a good chance that many players will simply bounce off the game and never come back after being knocked around by the challenging first boss, and some may not even have made it that far before deciding the game wasn't for them and giving up. Compare the Xbox numbers to other platforms where the game isn't available as part of a subscription service and there's a huge disparity that backs up this notion — Journey's Beginning sits at a 33% unlock rate on Xbox, compared to a whopping 85% on both PlayStation and Steam, where players have had to buy the game and are therefore naturally more committed to getting through it.

There then follows a pretty steep but steady drop-off in unlocks for the rest of the 17 story-based achievements, gradually falling to just 2% by the time we get to the final story pops — that lower tail end is to be expected when the game has barely been out a week and many will still be working their way through it. As you might expect from a dedicated achievement-hunting community, tracked TrueAchievements players are off to a considerably better start, with roughly half of those with Wo Long on their tags now past the first hurdle. Interestingly, though, TA player unlocks actually dip below the global Xbox level slightly in the mid-to-late-game, before evening out to the same 2% unlock rate as the wider Xbox pool on the last few achievements.

wo-long-xbox-first-boss-achievement.jpg

I’m breathing and getting life off of this information

But why did 85% of people on PS5 and PC beat the first boss?
Good question. Personally, I think there are more hardcore gamers on PlayStation. I feel that there is a much higher number of players playing Wo Long on PS5 and maybe even PC and they could possibly be more familiar with the mechanics of those Nioh/Souls-type of games leading to a higher completion percentage possibly?

Last edited:

ironmang

It's not "like a demo" when it's the full game release. I'm not sure how you don't understand the concept of "devaluing" a game ultimately hurts the developers and publishers that spend several years and millions of dollars just for people to put zero dollars, zero investment and 5 minutes into playing their game. Maybe that's OK for indie games or mobile games but not for multi-million dollar games.

I'm not saying their games should be put on Gamepass free, I'm saying Gamepass could potentially BLOCK MS from recieving certain games if a publisher refuses to release it at all because they instead demand MS pay them to release the game on their platform, i.e. Either pay us to support you (with this title) or we just won't support you (with this title) at all. Nintendo and Sony didn't need to pay ATLUS to release Persona on their respective platform. This line of thinking by publishers would ultimately hurt MS.

Does that make more sense?
I mean, games on GP are "like a demo" that you can keep playing for free. Wasn't the point I was making when I brought up the word "demo" but sure, that works too.

Is there any proof that GP is hurting devs? They're still being paid and now their games have much more reach. Does it hurt them less if that player beats it instead of giving up after "5 minutes"?

@ bold: when you say "platform" can you be specific. Do you mean GP or the Xbox itself? Because again, MS already pays them to release these games on GP. And if they don't put it on GP then they still make money through sales on Xbox. So either way they're getting paid. Is there any proof that devs are so anti-GP that they won't even release their games on MS because they run that service?

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is on the PSN holiday sale for like $35 and Im really tempted for some reason. I did beat OG Xbox Ninja Gaiden back in the day and have finished a few Souls and Bloodborne.

Sekiro kicked my ass though and I gave up real quick.

The whole thing about this first boss being some ultimate test and then the rest of the game being "not so bad" is really scratching my balls brain. Also, was not a fan of Nioh.

Help.

DaGwaphics

That's kind of the beauty of a subscription, you are free to try things that fall outside of your usual habits. Often times you will quickly realize that the game does in fact fall outside of what you like, but you do discover some games that you really like but would have never pulled the trigger on via traditional purchase.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
yeah its just averages. Since it's on game pass the number of people who can play is way higher to those who actually wanted to purchase it. On other platforms the only people who play it are the ones who wanted to purchase it.

Orbital2060

The first boss isnt too tough first time through, you only need to get it to 50 % or so to use an ability to end the encounter quickly.

But its not the toughest boss, there are at least one or two mid way and later that are tougher.

Its overall easier than Sekiro, but with some of the bosses you just have to have confidence and patience, and you will be rewarded. The boss halfway through (Lu Bu) gave me a headache for long time.

Last edited:

Gojiira

And the trend is the same across every Souls game too…
Sure people try the game but when theres a more active playerbase on PS or PC as well as higher completion rates it says a lot about the audience for the different platforms.

Crayon

Yah subs are like that.

Related -

When I first played the introductory boss in AC6, I was thinking "there are of people who bought this that are going to be pissed they are stuck here." I found it very difficult and thrers nowhere to go, nothing to get, and nothing to do from there. You just have to beat it.

cireza

Completed the game (bought the steelbook edition) and had a lot of fun. Game is a bit difficult in places, a few bosses are definitely tougher than the others, but it felt much more manageable and forgiving than Souls games. And Sekiro is my favorite Souls games, by the way. Wo Long is more action oriented, you dive in combat much more aggressively.

Inventory management was as uninteresting as it gets. Basically constantly upgrading to whatever new piece of equipment you find that is slightly better than the previous one, and having to recycle / upgrade / sell a ton of stuff constantly. Also trees for leveling, not super interesting honestly. Simply put everything in a single color and use equipment that scales with that color.

Sekiro remains the perfect game in that regard, as it got rid of all of this useless shit. So we got a great action game like Ninja Gaiden but with the feel of a Souls game.

Last edited:
Sekiro remains the perfect game in that regard, as it got rid of all of this useless shit. So we got a great action game like Ninja Gaiden but with the feel of a Souls game.
I would much rather have a high quality sequel or remake of Ninja Gaiden.

P.S. The first boss is a pain in the ass because the only way to beat the second phase is to wait for and parry the glowing attacks for the first half. Phase one can be speedrun by spamming staff with elemental enchantment.

I quit this game really early, but not due to difficulty. I actually found the game far too easy. It was also tedious and boring. I did beat the first boss though.

I loved Nioh and Nioh 2. Not sure what happened here.

Beechos

I'm one of those statistics lol. I tried it hoping it would get me into souls games but nope just doesn't click yet again. I've beaten the ninja gaiden games, cuphead, and made mincemeat of the marauders in doom but then again maybe those games are easy compared to souls games.

Top Bottom