• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenAI engineer James Betker estimates 3 years until we have a generally intelligent embodied agent(his definition of AGI)

Spyxos

Gold Member

General Intelligence (2024)​

Folks in the field of AI like to make predictions for AGI. I have thoughts, and I’ve always wanted to write them down. Let’s do that.

Since this isn’t something I’ve touched on in the past, I’ll start by doing my best to define what I mean by “general intelligence”: a generally intelligent entity is one that achieves a special synthesis of three things:

• A way of interacting with and observing a complex environment. Typically this means embodiment: the ability to perceive and interact with the natural world.
  • A robust world model covering the environment. This is the mechanism which allows an entity to perform quick inference with a reasonable accuracy. World models in humans are generally referred to as “intuition”, “fast thinking” or “system 1 thinking”.
  • A mechanism for performing deep introspection on arbitrary topics. This is thought of in many different ways – it is “reasoning”, “slow thinking” or “system 2 thinking”.
If you have these three things, you can build a generally intelligent agent. Here’s how:

First, you seed your agent with one or more objectives. Have the agent use system 2 thinking in conjunction with its world model to start ideating ways to optimize for its objectives. It picks the best idea and builds a plan. It uses this plan to take an action on the world. It observes the result of this action and compares that result with the expectation it had based on its world model. It might update its world model here with the new knowledge gained. It uses system 2 thinking to make alterations to the plan (or idea). Rinse and repeat.

My definition for general intelligence is an agent that can coherently execute the above cycle repeatedly over long periods of time, thereby being able to attempt to optimize any objective.

The capacity to actually achieve arbitrary objectives is not a requirement. Some objectives are simply too hard. Adaptability and coherence are the key: can the agent use what it knows to synthesize a plan, and is it able to continuously act towards a single objective over long time periods.

So with that out of the way – where do I think we are on the path to building a general intelligence?

World Models​

We’re already building world models with autoregressive transformers, particularly of the “omnimodel” variety. How robust they are is up for debate. There’s good news, though: in my experience, scale improves robustness and humanity is currently pouring capital into scaling autoregressive models. So we can expect robustness to improve.

With that said, I suspect the world models we have right now are sufficient to build a generally intelligent agent.

Side note: I also suspect that robustness can be further improved via the interaction of system 2 thinking and observing the real world. This is a paradigm we haven’t really seen in AI yet, but happens all the time in living things. It’s a very important mechanism for improving robustness.

When LLM skeptics like Yann say we haven’t yet achieved the intelligence of a cat – this is the point that they are missing. Yes, LLMs still lack some basic knowledge that every cat has, but they could learn that knowledge – given the ability to self-improve in this way. And such self-improvement is doable with transformers and the right ingredients.

Reasoning​

There is not a well known way to achieve system 2 thinking, but I am quite confident that it is possible within the transformer paradigm with the technology and compute we have available to us right now. I estimate that we are 2-3 years away from building a mechanism for system 2 thinking which is sufficiently good for the cycle I described above.

Embodiment​

Embodiment is something we’re still figuring out with AI but which is something I am once again quite optimistic about near-term advancements. There is a convergence currently happening between the field of robotics and LLMs that is hard to ignore.

Robots are becoming extremely capable – able to respond to very abstract commands like “move forward”, “get up”, “kick ball”, “reach for object”, etc. For example, see what Figure is up to or the recently released Unitree H1.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, large Omnimodels give us a way to map arbitrary sensory inputs into commands which can be sent to these sophisticated robotics systems.

I’ve been spending a lot of time lately walking around outside talking to GPT-4o while letting it observe the world through my smartphone camera. I like asking it questions to test its knowledge of the physical world. It’s far from perfect, but it is surprisingly capable. We’re close to being able to deploy systems which can commit coherent strings of actions on the environment and observe (and understand) the results. I suspect we’re going to see some really impressive progress in the next 1-2 years here.

This is the field of AI I am personally most excited in, and I plan to spend most of my time working on this over the coming years.

StueyDuck

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

All things considered, we are kind of reaching our limits with technology and power. With diminishing returns in regards to chips and silicon etc.

"AI" is getting exponentially better but I just don't see sonny from I,robot walking around or some machine going all skynet in 3 years.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
in 3 years skynet will take over and the terminator movies will become prophecy.

Can't wait for a Robot wife that i can turn off her bitching and talking at a press of a button. I love my silence.

she will never age so ill be tapping that super model robotic ass 50 years from now.

Last edited:

Mr1999

I think it was on Lex Friedman I watched where he had on an AI scientist, can't remember exactly from where, maybe Meta, he was talking about how if we wanted to really experience the full potential of AI,, that we should move away from LLM, and that its limited, I did not fully read what was said in ops post, but If they are saying 3-5 years, I'd give them 10 for good measure, we all know somethings coming at this point.

AI is a very powerful tool, I'm more worried about privacy rather than cool stuff like AI art or using it to modify excel or whatever. Im sure at some point if you wanted, you could have it listen to you all day and make recommendations, or whatever niche that will come next, it will watch you at home, build a memory of your entire life, very private stuff, and once thats out, its like they've copied you lol. I really wish we had privacy laws like Europe does, don't want to go down that route but its not all good.

Last edited:
Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

All things considered, we are kind of reaching our limits with technology and power. With diminishing returns in regards to chips and silicon etc.

"AI" is getting exponentially better but I just don't see sonny from I,robot walking around or some machine going all skynet in 3 years.
Optical processing units (OPU) might be the future.

Top Bottom