• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

Hikami

+/- Only a wish on my side but I would've loved to have an explorable 3D town with NPC and all, when you're in your city in the "Invest" sub-screen you can see with the Square button how many people live in your city and what is their job but... this information didn't amount to much in itself.

This would've been great. Being able to explore your clan home would've been enough for me. Being able to talk to see/talk to other clan members around the house and such.

Have to agree with most of your points, loved the game. Wish I had more free time so I could replay it.

Playasia changed from Preorder to Pending in their status for a physical game version.

I guess there's no chance for it.

It's switched to '2-4 days' now. Which for Play-Asia could mean anywhere between now and 2016, but it seems likely they'll get another shipment in this week.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Here's the English retail version:

17032898846_5092599167_c.jpg

17032898856_23affbd1e3_c.jpg

Zareka

I've only played a little bit of the demo, but am I right in thinking that with "Connect", you can have children with other players clans? Or is "betrothal" different?

Also, is that English physical the same game we get from the store? I probably won't import since it'll lock me out of DLC but if I really start struggling with my memory card it would be a cool option.

Fisico

I've only played a little bit of the demo, but am I right in thinking that with "Connect", you can have children with other players clans? Or is "betrothal" different?

Also, is that English physical the same game we get from the store? I probably won't import since it'll lock me out of DLC but if I really start struggling with my memory card it would be a cool option.

- Yep, it's slightly different because it uses money instead of devotion and it's much easier to have better children this way (godlike parents cost around ~120k), and on top of that you get the child right away and doesn't need to spend a month for the betrothal.

- Same game

Arzehn

Any trick to getting keys?

Have to save Princess Tazu, but a purple keyhole is blocking my path. Is the only way to randomly search all of the dungeons for a purple key?

Trigger

You can buy keys from stores or find them in dungeons. I can't remember if I needed a key for that mission, but yeah that's the only way to get new keys that I know of.

Hikami

my bad, not the hotsprings. You need one of the wooden tags from the hotsprings ( い,ろ, は)
Can't remember which, but it opens the door in the Garden of Purrfection that has the key room.

To get the wooden tag you have to go to the part of the hotsprings where you have to go through different colored springs to get to an area. (the place with the signs)

The pattern is always
Blue -> Red -> Purple -> Green -> Water -> Yellow -> White

Fisico

my bad, not the hotsprings. You need one of the wooden tags from the hotsprings ( い,ろ, は)
Can't remember which, but it opens the door in the Garden of Purrfection that has the key room.
は
To get the wooden tag you have to go to the part of the hotsprings where you have to go through different colored springs to get to an area. (the place with the signs)

The pattern is always
Blue -> Red -> Purple -> Green -> Water -> Yellow -> White

Probably は, I didn't get it and it shows up in shops I'm visiting for the low price of 1.3M.

Ventara

So with Xenoblade releasing tomorrow, all of my time will be going to it, so I decided to finish up the story for this game and face the last boss.

Seimei was a complete pushover. The real final boss was tough, but not too bad, except he kept casting poison and paralyze on my team, which became super annoying as it would constantly break my joint combo. And he had a lot of health. I was basically casting Masking Mist, healing/curing and my strongest 4-man hit-all magic attack (Rain of Destruction). I had to use all 3 of my revives on Nueko since she kinda sucked stat-wise and kept getting killed. In the last phase of the final boss, it got particularly annoying as I couldn't get any joint attacks across. One of my guys died, and fearing it might be over, I started casting solo magic, using my strongest single target magic attack. That did the trick and I won.

But just to see what would happen, I refused to continue with Hiruko's dream. I now have to fight the last boss again, lol.

Anyways, really good game, and great value for $20. There's no time stamp for the game, but I know I put in at least 50 hours, very likely a lot more.

Tips for people heading to the last fight. Make sure to have all your fighters have at least 600 HP/Defence (more is better, Masking Mist, Healing Brilliance/Radiance, medium/large group heal (forgot the name), Cure All, and a strong 4-man magic attack. Bring all your revives, too, and your best Technique and Health replenishing potions.

Zareka

- Yep, it's slightly different because it uses money instead of devotion and it's much easier to have better children this way (godlike parents cost around ~120k), and on top of that you get the child right away and doesn't need to spend a month for the betrothal.

- Same game
Sweet, thanks for answering my questions! Now I just need to decide whether the price hike and being cut off from DLC is worth the physical box. Hmmmmm.

randomkid

Bumpin this cuz I finally managed to become 1 of the 3 people who beat this game and found myself with a lot to say, this one is a special little game! Here are some scattered thoughts and then sort of an essay I guess? First some specific minuses:

-The game’s first difficulty spike at the third boss is tough but fair, it’s Oreshika’s first demand that you really learn the ins and outs of its fusion system and breed some best in class warriors (with nicely balanced job classes!) for yourself. A late boss that prevents the use of skills (but not secret arts) was also a nice test for the player. But the very last boss of the game is a ludicrous joke of a difficulty spike compared to everything the game previously throws at you, and so, just like with Strange Journey’s jerk of a last boss, I in-game cheated my way to a win with cold hard cash by hiring a couple warriors/demons who could withstand multiple waves of status-debilitating high damage attacks. Previously tedium in dungeon exploration and breeding was avoided because you had so many ancillary short term goals along the way, but by the end of the game the prospect of straight up grinding for a year to ensure victory wasn’t really worth it. Not a good way to close things out.

-The main plot and virtually all of the game’s very repetitive pre-boss cutscenes unfortunately never really rose beyond the level of an anime TV show, but the background story elements of gods and demons traveling between the heavens and earth was pitched exactly at my sensibilities. It’s basically impossible for me to avoid being engrossed in any game with such a loving focus on yokai, japanese festivals, Megaten-ish god fusion and demon parades, which I’ve been fascinated by ever since I saw Pom Poko’s famous parade sequence on VHS as a teenager.

It’s interesting to see how people constantly try to compare this game to other games in various reviews and threads, because we’ve all forgotten the time period when experimental marquis RPGs were the norm, and the experience of the game is so fresh and one of a kind for those of us who never played the original that we don’t know how to talk about it without contextualizing in some way others will find familiar. So you get a lot of things like:

This game is Okami! With its ukiyo-e visuals, shamisen, taiko and bamboo flute filled music, oni enemies and folkloric story references. Or, this game is Persona 3! With its time and calendar management, tendency to guide party members rather than directly control them, the same kind of roguelike-like fatigue elements that prevent you from grinding endlessly in dungeons, and a traditional Megaten fusion system with mythologically inspired gods and goddesses. Or, this game is SaGa! With its secret arts learned suddenly in battle from under the hood stat gains, an HP/LP analogue with Stamina and Vigor, and a less awful version of Unlimited’s reels.

The truth is this game has a lot of games in it but it’s very much its own thing, with its uniqueness in the current RPG landscape mirrored funnily enough by efforts to ensure a good deal of uniqueness and special one-time content in each playthrough. There’s a lot of attention to detail in places you expect and places you don’t, from death quotes that are never repeated, to hidden pre-dungeon cutscenes for those that return to dungeons in odd order, to unique in-game heirloom weapon appearances, to dialogue from onigami that changes each time you beat them, to the weasel-girl familiar humming flower related songs in the spring when you leave the screen idle.

Reading through reviews and threads really made me appreciate the almost staggering number of special activities that can occur in the game. I’ve heard of people who never competed in festivals or tournaments or betrothed/adopted outsiders or visited unique online player dungeons and lands (which all change each season!), but you can also run into restless spirits of former clan members in dungeons, have weapons cursed by specific demons who you need to seek out and destroy, have Nueko offer to sacrifice herself to give your younger dying clan members some extra months of life, and have parts of your city demolished by plagues, famines and hurricanes, none of which happened in my playthrough.

What it comes down to is that despite the game’s flaws (occasional repetitiveness, the potential for very bad luck in feast of all demons or key placement, overblown but still valid Nueko complaints) there’s something kind of wonderful about a PSX-era game like this being revived with substantial production value and released into the current RPG market. It’s a game too many people will forget or overlook because it doesn’t check the right boxes for today’s RPG fan, but it’s something I’m really happy to have played and will hopefully be remembered by the dozen or so folks who experienced it.

Also the MUSIC you guys, seriously, it's no joke. Listen to all of it.

So I finally got my PSTV and an English copy of this game today. How would I go about downloading the DLC that came with it? I have an EU, HK and JP account in addition to my US one (which is currently tied to the system). I haven't received my 16gb memory card yet.

Where can I buy a physical English copy for a regular price...

You can ask user wilflare to ship you one. I sent ~$36 shipped and got it in about a week, which is amazing for international shipping. Brand new sealed copy w/launch DLC inside, no markup beyond shipping.

I was able to redeem the DLC on my HK account, but I'm still fuzzy on how to get it to my PSTV...is there a way to send it from a PS3 to the PSTV?

Takao

Banned
18169897691_c945a918c0_z.jpg

Oreshika_Dungeon_Bridge%20Gif.gif

Starting today, May 28th, and running until June 10th, there will be a newly named labyrinth called Wailers Way which is a special area with the goal to kill as many Oni as possible, and to reach a minimum specified score. Winners will receive a bundle of in-game prizes, so join in! All of the eligibility details for Wailers Way can be found on this forum post.

Not to be outdone by the in-game competition, beginning on May 28th and running until June 3rd, we are holding a sweepstakes for a chance to win one of these awesome signed Oreshika art books. The books are signed by the creator of Oreshika, Shoji Masuda and the character designer, Makoto Sajima. For all the details on this sweepstakes please go to this forum post.

We’re excited to leave you with one more exciting announcement before we sign off… We’ve been listening to our fans and we are pleased to launch an Oreshika theme for PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV, which will be available on the PlayStation Store on June 2nd!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/28/new-competition-begins-in-oreshika-tainted-bloodlines/

There's an interview with Oreshika creator Masuda at the PS Blog link.

EU already has a SCEE exclusive theme, but it sounds like this will be the Japanese one:

The JP theme launches in EU on the 11th of June. The in-game contest is available there too, though it looks like the artbook is limited to SCEA territories.

Very pleasantly surprised to see the game get any kind of post-launch support for them.

For those who haven't bought the game (and are reading this thread?), it's currently available for just $15 in SCEA's PlayStation Plus sale. If you want to try out the game, there's a demo available as well.

KTallguy

Banned
I read through the entire thread after playing the NA demo for a bit. I was worried about that NPC controversy but it seems fairly minimal. I have one question though, is there any difference between NA and JP versions other than localization? Balance changes? I kind of want the game in Japanese because it's so Japanese themed, but I also want to support the localization... I'm torn.

A bit lttp , but where on Earth is the princess ? I have every key and search everywhere in the dungeon for her and can't find her....

edit

oh i remember , i can't walk under the water path, it iis there and how do i get there?

This was on sale a few weeks ago from UK PSN for just a hair over £6. I finally got around to playing the demo and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The animated cutscenes in particular are excellent, and I do enjoy Japanese lore in general even if I don't know much about it. But unfortunately by the time I got around to buying it the offer had expired and I don't feel like paying £16 for it. Maybe I'll just hold off and pick it up next time it's on sale. I haven't even started Persona 4G, and I'm about half way through Ys: Celceta anyway.

Fisico

This was on sale a few weeks ago from UK PSN for just a hair over £6. I finally got around to playing the demo and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The animated cutscenes in particular are excellent, and I do enjoy Japanese lore in general even if I don't know much about it. But unfortunately by the time I got around to buying it the offer had expired and I don't feel like paying £16 for it. Maybe I'll just hold off and pick it up next time it's on sale. I haven't even started Persona 4G, and I'm about half way through Ys: Celceta anyway.

Considering the value offered by the game, I'd dare to say it's totally worth the 16£ you are reluctant to pay for it.
Feel free to read the opinions of users in this very thread (they are mostly the longer posts :p) if you want to know more details about it.

By the way I bought the Japanese collector's edition on a whim a few weeks ago (it was something like 1.500yens on Amazon.co.jp)

Nothing astounding inside, the Vita pouch is nice as I needed one but the design is rather tamed, same can be said for both Vita sticker faceplate (one for 1000 one for 2000), the cleaner cloth.. well it's a cleaner cloth so it's kinda useless, and the strap is okayish.
For a collector first press edition they really did the bare minimum, probably not really worth the extra price they asked for back at its release but it's still nice it exists regardless.

I started playing this again, since I finished Persona 4 Golden last week. It's really great and I love how streamlined everything is.

I've been wondering about special physical traits, though. I got a child with a third eye a while back, but unfortunately I didn't think of taking his QR code before he died. I haven't seen a lot of people online mentioning that particular trait, has anyone else got it (assuming everyone hasn't moved on and no longer checks the thread :D).

I started playing this again, since I finished Persona 4 Golden last week. It's really great and I love how streamlined everything is.

I've been wondering about special physical traits, though. I got a child with a third eye a while back, but unfortunately I didn't think of taking his QR code before he died. I haven't seen a lot of people online mentioning that particular trait, has anyone else got it (assuming everyone hasn't moved on and no longer checks the thread :D).

I've seen people talking of cat ears and fox tails, but not third eyes.

Hikami

Shame that I still haven't had time to replay this yet. I never got a third eye. From what I remember, I had gotten fox ears, a tail, and some red stripes on the face for physical traits.

So it does seem to be quite rare, or perhaps people aren't considering it as a third eye? It's less a full fledged one than a forehead decoration.
jbdbiq6Z1kCt2B.jpg

His father was this guy, obviously:
jbtm6WvuNzDgAL.jpg

Soulhouf

I heard there is another ending. How do I get it?
I've already beaten the 2 super bosses that appeared in the 2 last dungeons in the post game.

I started playing oreshika when it got released but for some reason (lot's of other great games) I stopped playing.

Yesterday I returned to my clan and I, once again, feel invested in the world of Oreshika

Some questions to the people of knowledge:

Today I got my first secret art and I was really happy for my clan. Something that scares me through is that the person that got the SA died when she returned from the mission. Have I just lost that SA or will it somehow resurface later?

Does the "compare might" (when I visit other countries) have any effect in the game and how/can I raise it?

Uthred

I heard there is another ending. How do I get it?
I've already beaten the 2 super bosses that appeared in the 2 last dungeons in the post game.

As far as I know you need to complete the post ending quest to transmigrate 35 sealed gods

I started playing oreshika when it got released but for some reason (lot's of other great games) I stopped playing.

Yesterday I returned to my clan and I, once again, feel invested in the world of Oreshika

Some questions to the people of knowledge:

Today I got my first secret art and I was really happy for my clan. Something that scares me through is that the person that got the SA died when she returned from the mission. Have I just lost that SA or will it somehow resurface later?

Does the "compare might" (when I visit other countries) have any effect in the game and how/can I raise it?

Oddly enough I did the same, played it at launch, stalled (or got distracted by Bloodborne) and jumped back in a few days ago.

Regarding SA, you can get the same one again if you dont have a chance to pass it down. Not sure about the compare might thing.

Hikami

Anyone know if the Asia retail ver. is being sold anywhere online for cheap?

It was out of stock everywhere last time I checked, and that was months ago.. Even asked wilflare if he could find me one but nothing turned up.
Would love to be proven wrong though since I'd still like to get a retail copy.

Soulhouf

As far as I know you need to complete the post ending quest to transmigrate 35 sealed gods

I continued playing normally and eventually I got it.
I'm probably one of the 3 people here who got the platinum in this game but it was worth it!
Also the way every trophies are linked to one another is nice.

CR37YO_VEAAPq0x.jpg

Hikami

I continued playing normally and eventually I got it.
I'm probably one of the 3 people here who got the platinum in this game but it was worth it!
Also the way every trophies are linked to one another is nice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR37YO_VEAAPq0x.jpg
Woah.

I've been wanting to attempt the Platinum for this, but I just have no idea how to get these two trophies and there weren't any trophy guides last time I checked.

Happy, Happy Hiruko
Make Taishoten Hiruko's dream come true by having her transmigrate.
Unhappy Ending
Attempt Nueko's End for the first time.

What did you do for those?

Soulhouf

Woah.

I've been wanting to attempt the Platinum for this, but I just have no idea how to get these two trophies and there weren't any trophy guides last time I checked.

Happy, Happy Hiruko
Make Taishoten Hiruko's dream come true by having her transmigrate.
Unhappy Ending
Attempt Nueko's End for the first time.

What did you do for those?

Get all the sealed gods to transmigrate and fight the super post game boss.

Weebos

Banned
Got back into this game recently and finally reached the final boss.

Yikes. It doesn't help that I think my clan is getting weaker.

Top Bottom