• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

Hikami

I hardly used Nueko. Only brought her for the required boss fights, which is not the entire game..
Didn't even bother leveling her up because I didn't need to. Other 3 party members were enough while she healed/buffed us or something.

lupin23rd

Curious what the deal is with the different lands you can visit...

The choices seem to change over time, is there a trigger that causes new ones to appear (or old ones to reappear)?

If there is a dungeon available in multiple lands, is it the same layout, or always different?

The most recent land I visited had Lancers and Dancers in the members I can adopt / betroth. Does this trigger when I start seeing those trade manuals appearing on enemies? Feels like when I found Marital Artists and Wreckers was the time I saw those manuals pop up.

Uthred

It's not an exaggeration, you need to use Nueko for every boss fight. And you're going to need to her on a bunch of raids before each boss to level her. That ends up being the majority of the game, or at least it was for me.

There's what, one boss fight a year? (Leaving aside you dont need to use her for all of them) So you "need" to use her for 1/12 of a year, maybe two or three other raids depending on how much you want to level her (sometimes I didnt bother because her starting stats are solid and my other party members made up for it)/how buff your other guys are. Im playing on the slowest speed but even on the fastest having to use her for ~1/4 of each year hardly constitues the majority. So I think for most people saying you have to use her for the majority of your playtime is an exaggeration/flat out incorrect

LX_Theo

Banned
It's pretty much every boss fight, there's what one or maybe two exceptions? I'm not even sure what we are arguing here. I said you have to use Nueko much of the game, and you do. It was a statement of fact, not a complaint.
Throughout the game, maybe. Most of the game? Certainly no requirement

I kinda want to recommend this game to my friends but I'm not sure really how to describe it.
If you guys had to describe this game using 3 other JRPGs for comparison, which ones would you use?

Sera O

Banned
I kinda want to recommend this game to my friends but I'm not sure really how to describe it.
If you guys had to describe this game using 3 other JRPGs for comparison, which ones would you use?

The time-cost of clan-maintenance and dungeon-diving is a bit like Atelier games. There may be something Persona-ish in the pre-battle slots, and needing to "fuse" party members before they die. The stylized presentation, music, and focus on gods/myths reminds me somewhat of Okami - every time I hear the Frenzy music it makes me think of the digging minigames.

Overall this game seems really fresh to me though, and those similarities are a stretch. It's more like the various systems working together in Oreshika make it feel really different from any of those games.

Ventara

Just wanted to chime in that betrothals are a great alternative to doing a divine union. Some of the clan members from different clans have affinities equivalent to a god with a 20K devotion price tag.

Curious what the deal is with the different lands you can visit...

The choices seem to change over time, is there a trigger that causes new ones to appear (or old ones to reappear)?

If there is a dungeon available in multiple lands, is it the same layout, or always different?

The most recent land I visited had Lancers and Dancers in the members I can adopt / betroth. Does this trigger when I start seeing those trade manuals appearing on enemies? Feels like when I found Marital Artists and Wreckers was the time I saw those manuals pop up.

I think (really not sure) they change when you find an Instrument of Festivity or when you do a bethrotal. Not sure when the different trades for other clans show up, but you may be right.

Persona 4 (creating better monsters through your previous monsters + TB dungeon crawling combat) would be a pretty close comparison. Just no VN elements, and the dungeons are more randomized.

Ventara

Are there any parallel's with the row based combat?

The only one that comes to mind that I've played is Radiant Historia, but it's implementation in that game was awesome, whereas in this game it's just there. Doesn't really feel like it makes too big a difference.

Shouta

I just finished the 4th Feast of All Demons and I'm on my 5th Generation of chars. Heirloom weapons aren't growing as fast as I'd like but I think that might be because I haven't used them to beat up enemies. Instead, I've been casting spells. Gonna try and do that to see if they get some more attack power. My Armor Heirlooms far out strip the ones I buy/found though, lol. My Martial Artist has one at 300 defense now or so.

I need to finish the game soon though to move on. I'll post up my last set of chars for folks to use when I get near the end though.

Ventara

I just finished the 4th Feast of All Demons and I'm on my 5th Generation of chars. Heirloom weapons aren't growing as fast as I'd like but I think that might be because I haven't used them to beat up enemies. Instead, I've been casting spells. Gonna try and do that to see if they get some more attack power. My Armor Heirlooms far out strip the ones I buy/found though, lol. My Martial Artist has one at 300 defense now or so.

I need to finish the game soon though to move on. I'll post up my last set of chars for folks to use when I get near the end though.

Damn, that's pretty high. I've been using my martial artist's armour since the moment heirlooms became available to me, and it's still under 150. And I'm in my 6th gen.

Gu4n

Reached the final boss, which
utterly slaughtered me in its final final form, while I was doing OK until that form.

Guess I'll just have to spend some years hoarding devotion and rituals with Hiruko again.

utterly slaughtered me in its final final form, while I was doing OK until that form.

Guess I'll just have to spend some years hoarding devotion and rituals with Hiruko again.

I barely managed to get through that last stage.
If don't trigger the the final form until you are healed and ready to throw up a bunch of burst damage immediately, you might be able to get through it without grinding. Though that depends on your party and what kind of secret arts you have.

i think i've finished the 3rd feast last time. also met that catgirl. beat her once in a very interesting fight. 2nd time she smoked my following generation. that was pretty amazing.

Akuosa

I got there and the boss killed my whole party but one in the very first turn. That must be the craziest difficulty spike of the game, because I was cruising like nothing the previous couple of dungeons.

I'll have to spend a couple generations grinding at least, from the look of things.
He has another form and everything? No way I'll be able to get through abusing secret arts or spells, time to play with genetics.

Shouta

Damn, that's pretty high. I've been using my martial artist's armour since the moment heirlooms became available to me, and it's still under 150. And I'm in my 6th gen.

My defense is high but my Weapon heirlooms are booty. My claws just got 120 Attack though.

For my 6th (or is it 7th gen) of chars, I did two betrothals and used all my devotion for Hiruko on one of my chars. I got all girls and the betrothal for my clan leader ended up giving me twins, lol. All of the clan. I didn't get to level them up much but their stats are looking super promising. That should take me to the last boss, I think.

Ahhhhh! Resource limited eugenics is hard. Do you use high quality stock to improve your clan or do you maintain an acceptable baseline so you aren't forced to use genetically inferior dregs and pollute the bloodline.

autoduelist

some beginner questions:

1) can i accidentally grind too much or take too long to do things? for example, the very first time i entered a dungeon i stayed for 3 months. or, if i see green/gold items i like to keep entering/leaving til i get them. does any of this matter? i don't mind if it just means my game will last a couple extra generations.

2) does the game eventually explain things like training? i have my first kid, and month 1 i entered a dungeon since there was a bounty that month so it was frenzyville, but i'm setting up month two, and having her dad train her, while another is having a mating ritual. is training essential?

3) i bought a heirloom weapon (bracers) the second i could. cost me 18.5k or so. i assume this is a sound strat?

basically, i'm not concerned at all if everything eventually works itself out. i just hear people mention stuff like 'losing secret arts' and i have no idea what that means since i don't even think i have any secret arts yet. i enjoy clearing each dungeon of rare items, but if that means i'm spending too long in starter dungeons and will eventually bite me in the ass, i'd like to know now.

Slathe

I got through final boswithss without maxed guys or heirlooms. The fight took like forty minutes though. Was fun. Everyone was our of vigor but nobody died coming home.

How is the post game? Anything worth doing?

Shouta

some beginner questions:

1) can i accidentally grind too much or take too long to do things? for example, the very first time i entered a dungeon i stayed for 3 months. or, if i see green/gold items i like to keep entering/leaving til i get them. does any of this matter? i don't mind if it just means my game will last a couple extra generations.

2) does the game eventually explain things like training? i have my first kid, and month 1 i entered a dungeon since there was a bounty that month so it was frenzyville, but i'm setting up month two, and having her dad train her, while another is having a mating ritual. is training essential?

3) i bought a heirloom weapon (bracers) the second i could. cost me 18.5k or so. i assume this is a sound strat?

basically, i'm not concerned at all if everything eventually works itself out. i just hear people mention stuff like 'losing secret arts' and i have no idea what that means since i don't even think i have any secret arts yet. i enjoy clearing each dungeon of rare items, but if that means i'm spending too long in starter dungeons and will eventually bite me in the ass, i'd like to know now.

1. You can't really over grind in the game. Eventually, XP gained starts to dry up and your characters only have a limited life span, negating extra grinding. It does help that generation against bosses and does provide a bit of a benefit when creating children.

2. Training is mostly to gain additional stats before the kids are mature enough to go into the battlefield for you. These stat gains are generally related to how powerful the teacher is, I believe. They're outside of the normal XP gain as well. The biggest factor though is that it allows a parent to pass on secret arts to their children later in the game . Secret Arts are powerful attacks that use Vigor and usually have a stat requirement like Fire Mind 500/Water boy 200 or something similar.

3. Yes, buying heirlooms when your kid is brand new and it's early in the game helps a lot because those heirlooms grow with their owners as they level up and gain special abilities as they're passed from one generation to the next.

Have to say, I really regret this purchase even at $20. Not sure what it is, but haven't enjoyed anything about it, really. Maybe 5 or 6 hours in. Oh well.

Ventara

some beginner questions:

1.) No. You're fine.

2.) No, it doesn't. At least, not in detail. Training gives them better stats than if they were studying on their own, so yes, do training when you can.

3.) Yes. Buy cheap and raise them by leveling your character who has it equipped.

Don't worry about "losing" anything or missing whatever. This game is pretty loose when it comes to that. Though if you want to know what it means to lose a secret art, basically, when one of your clan members reaches certain stats, they may gain a special ability (aka secret art) after a battle. They can pass this on by traing one of their children who is the same trade as them. If they die, the secret skill they gained is "lost." But of course, you can get it again with another character. It's just easier to pass it down to your children, is all.

Ahhhhh! Resource limited eugenics is hard. Do you use high quality stock to improve your clan or do you maintain an acceptable baseline so you aren't forced to use genetically inferior dregs and pollute the bloodline.

I was sticking to the baseline, though now that I'm betrothing my members, I can save up my devotion.

Have to say, I really regret this purchase even at $20. Not sure what it is, but haven't enjoyed anything about it, really. Maybe 5 or 6 hours in. Oh well.

Try to stick with it a bit more. I was regretting my purchase, too, at first. Felt like I was going through the motions, that I was just grinding. But once you start making your own decisions and have a more focused goal of how you want to develop your clan, things become a lot more fun.

Slathe

Definitely stop listening to kochin after the first festival. She won't ever guide you to tournaments or expeditions in non-story lands. And those are both really important.

Seda

Definitely stop listening to kochin after the first festival. She won't ever guide you to tournaments or expeditions in non-story lands. And those are both really important.

I cleared the game and never did a tournament and still don't know what they do, haha. I definitely agree that you should stop listening to her once you understand what needs to be done.

Ventara

Btw, guys, is there any point to doing festivals, other than getting the prizes (they don't look like they're worth anything)? I just found out last night you can actually attend them (you have to select "take the field" during the festival and then select "attend festival"), and I'm at the last dungeon, lol.

Shouta

I cleared the game and never did a tournament and still don't know what they do, haha. I definitely agree that you should stop listening to her once you understand what needs to be done.

It's just nice loot and solid XP lol

Btw, guys, is there any point to doing festivals, other than getting the prizes (they don't look like they're worth anything)? I just found out last night you can actually attend them (you have to select "take the field" during the festival and then select "attend festival"), and I'm at the last dungeon, lol.

mind blown.

autoduelist

1.) No. You're fine.

2.) No, it doesn't. At least, not in detail. Training gives them better stats than if they were studying on their own, so yes, do training when you can.

3.) Yes. Buy cheap and raise them by leveling your character who has it equipped.

Don't worry about "losing" anything or missing whatever. This game is pretty loose when it comes to that. Though if you want to know what it means to lose a secret art, basically, when one of your clan members reaches certain stats, they may gain a special ability (aka secret art) after a battle. They can pass this on by traing one of their children who is the same trade as them. If they die, the secret skill they gained is "lost." But of course, you can get it again with another character. It's just easier to pass it down to your children, is all.

ok. sounds good. i actually lost my game today. my son booted another game by accident (he's little, wasn't on purpose) and i had not saved since character creation... so I am forced to start over.

i had karate, lancer, bow, think i'm switching to karate, gunner, bow so that i have better AOE attacks for quicker battles.

It sounds like i can take it as slow or as quickly as i want, which is nice. wish i still had my game going, i liked where it was headed.

Shouta

Those Festivals are super good for Devotion if you can defeat all of the opposing team before their captain. you also get a small amount of gold for it too.

I fought the last boss but he beat me twice. Decided to go another generation to really power my chars up and get some skills I'm still sitting on hopefully put some more stats on my heirlooms. If not, I'll prboably try and get some rep weapons.

Sera O

Banned
Those Festivals are super good for Devotion if you can defeat all of the opposing team before their captain. you also get a small amount of gold for it too.

I had no idea they were a good source for devotion. I only noticed the treasures being a decent source of gold. That is good info. I usually go to lands with red magatama ratings when I am levelling chars so I can find good betrothal candidates, so onigami battles are risky and I don't get much devotion. I got my gear cursed last time I had to flee in shame.. .

lupin23rd

Anyone happen to have a Feast in the Fuji Viewing Glade dungeon?

I've beaten an Ujigami and gotten to the first switch that opens up a waterway, but haven't had much luck finding the Feast entrance. Got a couple months, and probably going to just keep going in and restarting until I find it, but was hoping someone might have come across one.

Hm, never heard of this game, but it actually seems pretty interesting. Sounds like people are overall having a good time with it? Is there a strong narrative, or is it more of a dungeon crawler?

LX_Theo

Banned
Hm, never heard of this game, but it actually seems pretty interesting. Sounds like people are overall having a good time with it? Is there a strong narrative, or is it more of a dungeon crawler?
Well it certainly more gameplay focused than narrative focused. At the same time I wouldn't even say the dungeon crawling is the focus either.

I'd say the focus is more planning and time management, and that the narrative and dungeon crawling both serve this focus effectively.

Trigger

I fought the last boss but he beat me twice. Decided to go another generation to really power my chars up and get some skills I'm still sitting on hopefully put some more stats on my heirlooms. If not, I'll prboably try and get some rep weapons.

I'm in roughly the same situation now. I'm just gearing up to take on the final boss. Most of party's stats are looking good so I'm just grinding to increase the strength of my heirlooms. It's crazy how much of a difference they make in the end game.

Ventara

Met my first exorcism in a dungeon earlier. Got my ass kicked as he one-shotted my team.

mind blown.

That was my same reaction when I found out, lol.

I did not know they gave out devotion. I guess I'll participate the next time it comes around.

On a side note, does anyone have a recommended stat level when tackling the final dungeon? I'm trying to get all my clan members to have their physical traits past the third line.

Shouta

Anyone happen to have a Feast in the Fuji Viewing Glade dungeon?

I've beaten an Ujigami and gotten to the first switch that opens up a waterway, but haven't had much luck finding the Feast entrance. Got a couple months, and probably going to just keep going in and restarting until I find it, but was hoping someone might have come across one.

Fuji Viewing Glade is like the most annoying one to find it in. You definitely need to map it out over a few months unless you have maps and know which version you're running into.

Festival Tournaments are good for XP too, they can give you quite a bit and get you full levels even when you're older by taking out the full team. Devotion is super good as a result. I went from 70k Deovtion to like 140k Devotion after a Grand Tourney, the one that has like 16 teams instead of 8.

Ventara

Fuji Viewing Glade is like the most annoying one to find it in. You definitely need to map it out over a few months unless you have maps and know which version you're running into.

Festival Tournaments are good for XP too, they can give you quite a bit and get you full levels even when you're older by taking out the full team. Devotion is super good as a result. I went from 70k Deovtion to like 140k Devotion after a Grand Tourney, the one that has like 16 teams instead of 8.

Holy crap, I've been missing out on this kind of Devotion? And here I am grinding it out in the dungeons like a chump.

Sera O

Banned
Holy crap, I've been missing out on this kind of Devotion? And here I am grinding it out in the dungeons like a chump.

I feel so stupid now. There was a point in time where I almost always had enough devotion for Hiruko or similar, and I never twigged that it was because I was doing the tourneys. Then I got all confused about why I've been so busted lately even running dungeons every month.

Facepalm.

Akuosa

kochin you're useless
... she tells you, though. I literally went to my first tournament because she told me I should select "take the field" and attend, because the one in autumn is the big one and it only happens once a year and we shouldn't miss it blahblahlore. I know I tune her out like crazy (every month the same lines, god, I know I can ask you if I don't know what to do, really, stop reminding me), but I see there are people far worse than me in that... :p

Also, Kochin's compiled wisdom or whatever the name was? Really helpfull. read it, people. Everything it's explained there, you'll feel like idiots wondering for so long how whatever works when it has its own section there. I know I did.

Seda

... she tells you, though. I literally went to my first tournament because she told me I should select "take the field" and attend, because the one in autumn is the big one and it only happens once a year and we shouldn't miss it blahblahlore. I know I tune her out like crazy (every month the same lines, god, I know I can ask you if I don't know what to do, really, stop reminding me), but I see there are people far worse than me in that... :p

I was only joking anyway, but when you have her plan things the only method of devotion gathering she'll bring up is dungeon grinding.

LX_Theo

Banned
I was only joking anyway, but when you have her plan things the only method of devotion gathering she'll bring up is dungeon grinding.
So there's dungeon grinding, festivals, and trapped gods (bosses primarily) as methods.

Anything else people could be overlooking?

Shouta

Festivals only unlock after you get instruments and only happen like twice a year. It's not very often which is why Kochin doesn't bring them up during Recommendations.

autoduelist

so my new game is martial artist (leader) / gunner (omg aoe) / archer.

i am at the point in the beginning where i need to pick my first craftsman for an heirloom.

should i choose it for my leader? or go with my gunner?

also, is it worth not buying one until i have a kid so it's cheaper / levels faster?

Ventara

i am at the point in the beginning where i need to pick my first craftsman for an heirloom.

also, is it worth not buying one until i have a kid so it's cheaper / levels faster?

I'd go with the gunner (shotgun for aoe). The shotgun has a normally low attack, so getting an heirloom for it might prove a good move. A weapon for a kid would cost around 25K. It's up to you if you want to buy it now.

Trigger

It is cheaper to buy an heirloom for a weaker clan member. That's what I did.

Top Bottom