• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

munroe

I've had my xbox one for about 2 weeks now and I've absolutely enjoyed playing through ori now about 5 times! My first 1000/1000 X1 game

First playthrough - normal playthrough, managed to get 100% map but missed a few health and energy upgrades.

Second playthrough - first attempt at speed run completed it in about 3 1/2 hours

Third playthrough - second attempt at speed rub, completed in about 2 1/2 hours.

Fourth playthrough - no deaths, managed to find all of the upgrades as well

Fifth playthrough - no abilities, hardest playthrough but all done!

Well done for a great game!

I have a request for anyone far better at photoshop than me. I wanted to create a massive Ori desktop background for my PC (as I love the art that much!) but as I have a triple display, it would need to be @5760x1080.

Can anyone hook me up? :)

I bought the game in the Steam sales, and I'm loving it so far. The art is really amazing and the platforming feels almost perfect. I didn't expect it to be so hard, but I love a good challenge so I'm OK with that. My hands really hurt after the water escape tho :p

I'm not sure if this game needs a sequel. I hope Moon Studios makes a fresh new game, just as good as Ori.

I don't want a direct sequel, but I do want another game in Nibel. I think Moon Studios could make an awesome action/adventure game set in Nibel... maybe top-down like Zelda. Gareth Coker would be able to score another epic soundtrack too. I think his music is perfect for this type of game.

The Hermit

I am almost finishing it, I am on the last zone, and I am loving it.Its a gorgeous game and very fair, all my deaths were my fault.

I just wish there were some bosses and that the gsme warned about missable collectables.

Beside those two nitpicks, its pretty much perfect. Bash mechanism is genius.

Finally finished this one last night, holy shit is it a phenomenal game. The art style is amazing, the platforming is solid, and thank god there's actually some challenge to playing it. Really rewarding, and the soundtrack is awesome.

M3z_

Yeah finished the game last weekend. Game is so good. So many things in this game are done at an elite level it's crazy. I hope it sells like gangbusters, game deserves any positivity it receives.

Yeah finished the game last weekend. Game is so good. So many things in this game are done at an elite level it's crazy. I hope it sells like gangbusters, game deserves any positivity it receives.

I just hope it isn't out of people's minds come GOTY award time. It needs to be on that list.

BusterJol

Bested this last night. What a wonderful game. I kind of wish though that there was a huge finale where every power comes into play.

The last escape was cool it was just the same length of the other ones. Still GOTY currently.

I just finished my play through and wow... I felt like I wanted to give a standing ovation at the end (can't remember the last time I felt that way about a game). My wife watching me play got teary eyed at the ending, too lol.

Bought this last week during the sale and started it today putting about 2 hours in. Jumping takes a bit of getting used to with it's forward momentum, it's kind of tricky at first when you gotta jump on small platforms.

edit: I got cramps in my right hand after that tree
water chase sequence
geeze that was intense...

Loving what I am playing so far. The prologue made me well up a little that's for sure!

However having a few issues with controls. I'm using DS4windows to play the game on my PS4 controller. However using the default control profile (i've tried my other profiles too) I seem to have several buttons doing the same thing. R2 seems to open up the menu, and if I hold down A, which should be to do a longer jump, it uses one of my save point thingies! But B also does exactly that if I hold that down too. I've tried messing around with DS4windows to see if I can get it to work but doesn't seem to be the case.

Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong? DS4windows works fine with any other game I've played

Ghost23

Loving what I am playing so far. The prologue made me well up a little that's for sure!

However having a few issues with controls. I'm using DS4windows to play the game on my PS4 controller. However using the default control profile (i've tried my other profiles too) I seem to have several buttons doing the same thing. R2 seems to open up the menu, and if I hold down A, which should be to do a longer jump, it uses one of my save point thingies! But B also does exactly that if I hold that down too. I've tried messing around with DS4windows to see if I can get it to work but doesn't seem to be the case.

Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong? DS4windows works fine with any other game I've played

I had a similar problem at first. Did you make sure "Hide DS4 controller" is on? If the program is recognizing your controller as a DS4, it will mess up the button mappings. Go to your control panel and make sure your controller is being recognized as a 360 controller.

Also, make sure you plug in the DS4 before you open steam and start the game. Hope this helps!

Kolx

Finished it yesterday and it was a really great experience. The platforming was solid, the art was gorgeous & the upgrades were actually adding to the experience!

I had a similar problem at first. Did you make sure "Hide DS4 controller" is on? If the program is recognizing your controller as a DS4, it will mess up the button mappings. Go to your control panel and make sure your controller is being recognized as a 360 controller.

Also, make sure you plug in the DS4 before you open steam and start the game. Hope this helps!

Thanks did just this and it works. However i've just purchased the "Rekindle Soul Links" ability and it doesn't seem to work. My ds4 is acting completely like a plugged in Xbox controller now and for some reason if I hold down "B" it just resaves my game. I thought this ability lets you pick up the soul link to place your save at a different area, correct?!

munroe

Thanks did just this and it works. However i've just purchased the "Rekindle Soul Links" ability and it doesn't seem to work. My ds4 is acting completely like a plugged in Xbox controller now and for some reason if I hold down "B" it just resaves my game. I thought this ability lets you pick up the soul link to place your save at a different area, correct?!

Nope it means you can use a single save point multiple times

AngryMoth

Started yesterday and now a few hours in on pc. Really liking the game so far; the controls feel great and it's probably the best looking 2D game I've ever played. The platforming difficulty feels like it's ramping up now which I'm pleased about. My only complaint so far is that the enemies seem to respawn too quickly sometimes.

Started yesterday and now a few hours in on pc. Really liking the game so far; the controls feel great and it's probably the best looking 2D game I've ever played. The platforming difficulty feels like it's ramping up now which I'm pleased about. My only complaint so far is that the enemies seem to respawn too quickly sometimes.

Yeah agreed. Controls feel great and it looks absolutely stunning. Keep having to reach to my keyboard to press F10 for a screenshot!

Had a crash to the desktop just though :/

I really liked this game. My only complaint is how wide the screen is zoomed out. With such amazing artwork it seems like a shame to only be able to see your character (and most enemies) as about 5 percent of the screen real estate. I didn't love this about DKCR either. It makes sense for games like Super Meat Boy or N+ where the art work is an after thought, but in Ori it just feels like a wasted opportunity where we could luxuriate in all the cool visual elements.

Still, it's a fantastic game.

I really liked this game. My only complaint is how wide the screen is zoomed out. With such amazing artwork it seems like a shame to only be able to see your character (and most enemies) as about 5 percent of the screen real estate. I didn't love this about DKCR either. It makes sense for games like Super Meat Boy or N+ where the art work is an after thought, but in Ori it just feels like a wasted opportunity where we could luxuriate in all the cool visual elements.

Still, it's a fantastic game.

Yeah, sometimes when I'm using soul flame on an enemy I find it difficult to see enemy projectiles at times.

Holy crap just found out a crazy bug about the game. If you minimise the game and go to desktop, your GPU ramps up to full usage. Well mine was on 99%. Tried doing the same thing with other games to make sure it wasn't my PC or card and it only happens on Ori. I looked online and there are quite a few people with the same issue.

To be honest it's not too bad of a bug as long as you just carry on playing the game and not minimise every now and then to check Gaf and the sort haha.

The soundtrack in this game man. THIS SOUNDTRACK. I'm in love. Probably my favourite game I've played this year so far.

Ok, thanks, tomorrow I'll give it a try.
EDIT: Well, I didn't understand the mechanic related to gravity in first place. When I discovered it, I passed easily the section, thanks guys.

It took me a while to figure it out as well. Glad you passed the section, sorry if I was vague with my explanation. Btw if you're going for all collectables and secret locations on the map, make sure to get all of those before leaving the Wind Temple. Just like the Ginzo Tree, you won't be able to return if you miss anything.

Being a completionist, I found this aspect of the game very frustrating.

Ge0force

Banned
I finished Ori and the Blind Forest yesterday. I know the devs are reading here sometimes, so I came here to say that the game is really, really amazing! I love the beautiful graphics and music, the almost perfect controls and the challenging gameplay. Thankx for making such a wonderful games guys, I'm looking forward to your next project!

I finished Ori and the Blind Forest yesterday. I know the devs are reading here sometimes, so I came here to say that the game is really, really amazing! I love the beautiful graphics and music, the almost perfect controls and the challenging gameplay. Thankx for making such a wonderful games guys, I'm looking forward to your next project!

Yup, reading everything here and always listening to what you guys think we should be doing better.

I think we're all super excited about 'the new stuff', even though we'll have to be silent about it for a bit longer :)

Ge0force

Banned
Yup, reading everything here and always listening to what you guys think we should be doing better.

I think we're all super excited about 'the new stuff', even though we'll have to be silent about it for a bit longer :)

Even knowing you guys are working on a new game is good news! As long as it's also coming to Steam, I'm happy :)

Interesting that Aaron Greenberg mentioned on Major Nelson's podcast that "the Moon Studios guys" walked past his office on Friday or whenever it was recorded.

Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned!

Izuna

Banned
Finally finished this, got 50% way through then life got in the way.

Ending spoilers:
After an ending sequence like that, with the music included... I was not in the mood and was really into the moment. I couldn't predict that we would get any kind of happy ending... And we didn't really, but I teared up and was speechless.

The way the story is told is masterful. These characters, with very little dialogue and even cutscenes, you feel how the game wants to you feel.

Ori and the Blind Forest is the most complete gaming experience ever.

Past patch of course, and it has very small issues, but these are very small nitpicks that don't harm the game in any way. Games such as BioShock, SotC, or whichever, tend to have a small part that ruins its replay value or whatever.

Ori isn't a great game because it has a great story, great gameplay, art, music, whatever. It hits EVERY category with perfect execution and they all compliment each other.

Just got to Kuro's Nest playing on PC, and I'm really enjoying the game a lot. Astoundingly gorgeous art and animation, great control, beautiful audio, just the right difficulty... generally: the few escape sequences so far have left me completely fucking infuriated. Some of the annoying gameplay I've experienced in a while (I just got through one, obviously - annoyance talking). I keep coming back, of course, because everything else is so phenomenal.

Fireblend

Banned
Oh wow. The devs post here?

In that case, I feel the need to thank you for the amazing experience that Ori was and attempt to express at least partially how much I enjoyed it. I beat it in like 3 days; literally couldn't keep away from the game. In my mind it's up there with Cave Story, Yoshi's Island, Metroid Fusion... games that I couldn't possibly imagine could be improved in any way. Not in terms of controls, design, story, music... this game really floored me, from the beautiful art to the exhilarating escape sequences. I highly doubt something will bump it from its current first place in my 2015 GotY list, and for that, I thank you truly. This is one of those games that keep my love for gaming going. Keep up the brilliant work.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
A brilliant game with a touching story. My only issue might be the trial-and-error parts, especially since the final one kept me from finishing the game after a long, engaging session with it. Though, at the same time, I appreciate the lack of boss fights.

I read all the credits, for some reason. I don't usually do that.

Just started this after picking it up on the Steam sale. Really liking it so far. Of course it's an amazing looking game. Feel like it's the perfect game to follow up Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight. Need something that isn't so grim dark after those two.

Fireblend

Banned
I just started the game but I'm bored with it. Does it get better?

Depends on what bores you about it. The prologue is very slow paced and not representative at all of the actual gameplay, but as soon as the game starts it speeds up pretty quickly IMO. There's always some new mechanic/ability to master and the game can get pretty fast paced to the point where a single mistake can screw you over. It took me around 7 hours to pretty much 100% the game so I couldn't possibly say it ever gets repetitive or boring since it's a pretty tight experience.

Are you usually bored with Metroidvanias/exploration-rich games? If so, this might just not be for you.

Just finished it up. Hey, devs: beautiful job! I mentioned what I liked in my previous post, and all of that continued to impress throughout. I'd go so far as to say that this is the most solid platformer I've played in a long time, maybe ever.

I'd also go so far as to say that it's the closest thing to my ideal platformer - if not for the escape sequences. Nothing about these scenarios felt fun or rewarding to me, only frustrating. I thought maybe it was to do with being distracted by the amount of effects happening at once and around Ori, plus screen-shake, plus the camera being pretty far out - but I don't think so, as the path is always pretty clearly denoted through the environment. After watching back through these sections on a let's play, I think what really got to me was just the trial-and-error nature in conjunction with the scattered insta-kill situations, the having to start all the way over. The game has a bit of a reputation for its difficulty, and I'm curious now as to whether most of that comes from these escape sections, since nothing else in the game came close to being as off-puttingly difficult. In fact, everything else felt amazingly well-balanced. I realize they're a solution to various problems (gameplay variety, area transition, pacing, tension) and I hate to belabor this but it was essentially the only thing I found to be wrong with an otherwise perfect game. Glancing through the thread it doesn't seem like most people had the same trouble, though, so... maybe I should get good.

Aside from that, everything was pretty incredible. Like some folks, I didn't realize that a couple of sections weren't backtrack-able and missed some things, but I'm going to replay it anyway, so no biggie. Certainly one of the best games this year, and I feel like that's saying a lot given the year so far. I could definitely do with another game in this world, but I'm eagerly awaiting whatever it is you guys do next.

Finally, the only real (not really) question about story stuff: why the fuck didn't Naru just take Ori out and point at the fruit, or throw him at the fruit, or something. I'm assuming the point is the non-sustainability of their situation, but come on dude.

Congrats! Ori's soundtrack is really the best so far this gen (and by far) and among the best in all of gaming's history as well!

Gareth Coker deserves all the praise!

Can't wait to hear what he does next! :)

Agreed, we tip our hats to Gareth!

And without giving away too much, I think you'll hear more of his work very, very soon ;)

Top Bottom