• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

This game is an absolute masterpiece. Just beat the Ginso Tree. I'm confident that I'm pretty decent at the game cause I've had a few drinks and it only took me around 10 tries. That cutscene man, my god this game is beautiful.

This game is an absolute masterpiece. Just beat the Ginso Tree. I'm confident that I'm pretty decent at the game cause I've had a few drinks and it only took me around 10 tries. That cutscene man, my god this game is beautiful.

And another joins the fold. Welcome, friend. This is a safe place. :)

That definitive edition. Normally I'm not a fan of those, but for Ori you better believe it. I hope it has a retail release with an Ori plushy!

Obscured

Just finished the game a little earlier today. I can't even...

I think it has to be about as close to perfect a gaming experience as I've had this year. Some of those areas you walk into and you just want to nope.gif and then (after dying and dying and dying) you figure it out and it comes together. Jump(s) + Bash + Feather + the world falling down around me was actually blissful. No controllers thrown but a few obscenities may have popped out now and again.

Not sure I'm up for another run through, but those orbs I left in the Ginso Tree and the Forlorn Ruins are kind of bugging me. Never ever even going to bother with trying to get that immortal achievement.

Really want a sequel (or DLC) where I get a
baby giant owl helper

I was thinking I probably wasn't going to get the definitive addition later this year, but I was wrong, I will be getting it as soon as it is out.

I think it has to be about as close to perfect a gaming experience as I've had this year.

Statements like this really need to be in the collective consciousness come GOTY awards/voting time.

It infuriates me that so many folks will automatically vote for the AAA releases like Witcher 3 and (this fall) Fallout 4. Fallout will probably net most of the GOTY just because it's a big open-world RPG release and it's going to be right around the time when people are thinking of that. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure it will be a great game. But given my past experience with the Fallout games (Fallout 3 and New Vegas), it will 'just' be a great game. It won't have that ineffable quality that Ori has, that thing that makes it unique and head and shoulders above other contemporary games. It will 'just' be another great AAA release. Ori is something that deserves all the praise possible for being such a fluid, tight, and thoroughly well-rounded experience. Games like it just don't come along that often, and when lightning is captured in a bottle like it has been here, it shouldn't be overlooked because it's 'just' a digital/smaller title.

I almost wish Ori had released early fall so it would be more fresh on people's hearts and minds. I only hope some of the bigger outlets are wise enough to recognize it in their awards for art direction, music composition, and of course overall 'game' awards.

It really is a feather in Microsoft's hat having had the foresight to back this game so early in its development.

Megatron

I just finished the game today. After the credits rolled I decided to fire up the game and go back in for some of the stuff I missed. Only... I can't? I see the save file sitting there. It says completed but when I select it nothing happens. I really just have to delete this off my xb1 now? It will never do me any good? Great game, but that's a really dumb design decision for a metroidvania-a game, the whole point of which, is to revisit sections of the game as you gain more abilities.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Megatron, have you played any game from Metroid series which allowed you to collect every missing and hidden items after you actually completed the game? No, of course you didn't cuz it doesn't exist and it doesn't work like this :)

Saikyo

Megatron, have you played any game from Metroid series which allowed you to collect every missing and hidden items after you actually completed the game? No, of course you didn't cuz it doesn't exist and it doesn't work like this :)

Iga's metroidvanias let players reload their saves before the final boss so they can still explore the game, this cant be defended and its one of the few stupid design choices for this otherwise great game

Shame that to fix that only paying for the definitive version...

AcAnchoa

I finished the game yesterday. As I expected, the game doesn’t reinvent the wheel but takes ideas from here and there and glues them with an incredible personality. Before starting the game I thought its main value was in its visuals and sound aspects but after playing for a few minutes I was in for the platforming, which thanks to the control and level design is simply outstanding.

My only complaints are the low difficulty (save from two or three spots), the simplicity of the puzzles and some areas closing forever, hope the definitive edition (which I’m totally getting) makes something about this.

Jobbs

Banned
how is this game so pretty? How is it even possible? It's inspiring and soul crushing (for me as a 2d game artist).

Holy carp! I just finished moving and wanted to make sure I emptied out the box completely that the Ori painting came in, and lo' and behold they sent 7 super high quality, high-gloss prints of the main Ori picture! I think they're 11x13", not really sure didn't break out the tape measure. Very nice though. I didn't see these the first time because I was so excited I barely slit the top open enough to get the painting out, then carefully slid it back in, knowing I had to move soon.

I'll be sending two of these to a couple friends that love Ori, and keeping two for myself. The other three will be going to a few carefully selected folks that have shown Ori the love since March.

I just wanted to say thank you AGAIN to the Thomas and the rest of the crew at Moon Studios for making such a wonderful game and for your generousity (that goes for the folks at Microsoft too for the generousity part!).

s20mXZ1.jpg

And the new home of the #3/13 framed one...

Fredrik

I just finished Ori and omg it's the best Metroidvania since Super Metroid (the best game of all times), I can barely find a single fault with it, simply put, it's a masterpiece!
5/5 10/10 100/100 etc

Now I need to know what these guys did before this. Are they ex-Nintendo guys? Rare? Factor 5? This can't be their first game.

Holy carp! I just finished moving and wanted to make sure I emptied out the box completely that the Ori painting came in, and lo' and behold they sent 7 super high quality, high-gloss prints of the main Ori picture! I think they're 11x13", not really sure didn't break out the tape measure. Very nice though. I didn't see these the first time because I was so excited I barely slit the top open enough to get the painting out, then carefully slid it back in, knowing I had to move soon.

I'll be sending two of these to a couple friends that love Ori, and keeping two for myself. The other three will be going to a few carefully selected folks that have shown Ori the love since March.

I just wanted to say thank you AGAIN to the Thomas and the rest of the crew at Moon Studios for making such a wonderful game and for your generousity (that goes for the folks at Microsoft too for the generousity part!).

And the new home of the #3/13 framed one...

That's awesome!

Still trying to decide to wait and play the enhanced edition in a couple months or just pick or restart my current playthrough I left to wait for patches. I have the same issue with movies where I always want to have the "best" experience be my first one and then go back to the original after the fact.

That's awesome!

Still trying to decide to wait and play the enhanced edition in a couple months or just pick or restart my current playthrough I left to wait for patches. I have the same issue with movies where I always want to have the "best" experience be my first one and then go back to the original after the fact.

Restart your current one. It's the only right choice. :)

Then replay it again when the definitive edition drops, also the only right choice. :)

RoKKeR

lifeexpectancy rolling in Ori loot!

Still bummed they never made that special edition controller more widely available. Would have jumped on it in a heartbeat.

For those that are still keeping an eye on this thread, I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm using twitter to give away the last couple 11x14" prints. I sent out a tweet on Fri or Sat. Just retweet it to enter. You don't even have to follow me, lol.

Twitter is @KorbeKGaming

I'll be sending a DM to the winners once they're chosen on Friday to arrange shipping at no cost to the winners.

Coreda

Just checked the menu after putting the game on hold for a couple months and there's no 'Continue' only 'Start Game'. Hesitated clicking the latter until I know if my saves are still recoverable.

Anyone know?

OMG, you guys, we've been fine-tuning the new abilities for the Definitive Edition and they're absolutely amazing now :)

They're too much fun - I wonder if people who thought the combat is too simple in Ori will still feel the same way after this.

OMG, you guys, we've been fine-tuning the new abilities for the Definitive Edition and they're absolutely amazing now :)

They're too much fun - I wonder if people who thought the combat is too simple in Ori will still feel the same way after this.

Any idea if this will be another digital only release like the original game?

My hopes are for a retail release, of course. I don't collect much in the way of gaming stuff, but this is a game I always want to be able to come back to!

That REACT video was literally (and I mean literally, literally) the first time I've liked one of their videos. But only because Ori was in it. Would've been more fun to watch them (try to) play Mt Huru. So many deaths would have ensued! lol

Exentryk

Will we see any new abilities?

Will we see any new abilities?

Um?

You even quoted him, how did you miss that? lol I mean I'm just razzing you man, this is a safe place, but I just couldn't help but ? that. :)

I just finished this game and I must say this has to be one of my favorite games of the year thus far and is a definite GOTY contender for me.
Not even the unwinnable save I somehow managed to get in the forlorn ruins was able to dampen my enthousiasm, though I'm pretty grateful that I've played it on PC so that I could use the save edit tool to salvage my save file.

I've also made a little tribute for the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5wTqEhC28

(fake)EDIT: Oh wow I didn't know more stuff was coming, this has me immensely hyped.

I just finished this game and I must say this has to be one of my favorite games of the year thus far and is a definite GOTY contender for me.
Not even the unwinnable save I somehow managed to get in the forlorn ruins was able to dampen my enthousiasm, though I'm pretty grateful that I've played it on PC so that I could use the save edit tool to salvage my save file.

I've also made a little tribute for the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5wTqEhC28

(fake)EDIT: Oh wow I didn't know more stuff was coming, this has me immensely hyped.

You say unwinnable, I say welcome challenge! ;p

wouwie

I hope we will get some info and a release date on the definite edition soon'ish. I've been holding off starting my 3rd playthrough but i don't know if i can wait much longer. It's still a strong GOTY contender (with a few others) so i'd like to be reminded how good it was :)

A question thomas: Is The Definitive Edition a separate app or does it replace the original Ori? Meaning, if I buy the new version, will I still have the original Ori as a separate game on my XB1 or is this basically DLC for the base game?

Not sure if it really even matters...just curious. Can't wait to play through this game again. : )

Can't wait to play again - any idea on a release date yet? And is this an add on for those who already own the game?

I need infos!

Release Date is still the Holiday Season. If you already own Blind Forest, you'll only play a very small upgrade fee to get the Definitive Edition with all its new content :)

Release Date is still the Holiday Season. If you already own Blind Forest, you'll only play a very small upgrade fee to get the Definitive Edition with all its new content :)

Oh joy.

Thomas - crazy question I know, but if you can do anything for me I'd be eternally grateful - I'm trying to find a really good Ori background for my triple display at a res of 5760x1080...halp?

:D (Cheeky ask, but worth a shot!)

Oh joy.

Thomas - crazy question I know, but if you can do anything for me I'd be eternally grateful - I'm trying to find a really good Ori background for my triple display at a res of 5760x1080...halp?

:D (Cheeky ask, but worth a shot!)

I don't think I can help you there, but there's a gazillion of Ori Fanart pieces of places like Deviantart, Artstation, etc. - Google around :)

Vertti

Incredible.

I'm huge huge huge metroidvania fan. If I'd made a top100 goat list it would probably have 10-15 metroidvanias. I just can't get enough of them.

But Ori... I'm speechless. Only Super Metroid surpasses it. It was so good! Better than SotN, Zero Mission, Guacamelee etc.

Such an emotional, beautiful, gorgeous game. The soundtrack alone is worth it. But then add everything else like the graphics, the gameplay, great powerups, smart saving system.

This is my GotY atm and it will be high on the GoAT list too.

And there's already definite edition coming? Can't wait. Really can't!

JimmyJones

Banned
I finished Axiom Verge and I'm looking for a new Metroidvania to play. I've decided this will be the one! I really want to buy it right now but if there's a definitive edition coming I might as well wait for that. :'(

Top Bottom