• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Well I just completed the game and all I can say it's up there with one of the best games I've ever played. The ending was absolutely perfect.

The music

The platforming

The meaningful upgrades

The story

The character design

The characters themselves

The graphics and art

All of it was flawless for me. Absolutely blown away!! Time to buy the soundtrack I think and just zone out to it for a few days. Let it all sink in haha.

Tizoc

When i suck at this game it makes me dislike it, but when looking at it in whole I end up liking it again.

I do feel like some parts could have been a little more lenient, then again it might be because I'm spoiled by check points :V

What an astonishingly well made game. The platforming feels great, boost makes the combat/movement supers fun, and the upgrade progression along with the puzzles is all really intuitive. It hits all the marks you want from a platformer/metrovania, however it really shines in the story it tells.

In a genre where I've never expected anything from the story the narrative it builds through the art, music, animation, and a few simple plot threads resonated more with me than the majority of titles out there. Hats off to the team, they really knocked it out of the park.

I don't think I want a direct sequel to it, though Gumo should clearly get his own spin-off.

I just want to quote all of these super positive comments and +1 them all. Incredible game.

While at the time the escape sequences infuriated me, I think probably my favorite part (in hindsight) was the water escape.

I think, if I wanted to really stretch the definition of criticism, I'd say the "butt stomp" mechanic was a bit over zealous in determining me pushing down on the stick. But whatever, this was a great game.

I'm only 50% of the way through and I can't stop listening to the music while working. It's just so soothing and incredibly emotional.

This game is genuinely incredible.

Spoilerish:
I just got to Misty Woods. My mind kinda freaked out when I saw the environment warping and moving in the mist. Thought something was wrong with me--was a very convincing effect! LOL

Tizoc

Holy shit fuck this
escape from Horu Mountain.
CHECKPOINTS DAMNIT WOULD IT MURDER YOU TO GIVE OUT AT LEAST 1 CHECK POINT?!

Holy shit fuck this
escape from Horu Mountain.
CHECKPOINTS DAMNIT WOULD IT MURDER YOU TO GIVE OUT AT LEAST 1 CHECK POINT?!

Git gud :p

Nah, I remember wanting checkpoints too but then when I finally did them I realised they weren't all that long anyway

Haha, just saw this:

11713670_499183046906273_4545555826865159961_o.png

A bit late to the party in responding, as I haven't gotten to play anywhere as much as I wanted to, but this game is absolutely wonderful on every level. Art, music, level design, sound. It really is the whole package.

It's a little more difficult than I was expecting. My daughter, while engaged and enjoying watching me, I think laughs more when I keep dying due to my poor platforming skills. Regardless, it's still great fun.

Wonderful game and I can't recommend it enough.

Haha, just saw this:

11713670_499183046906273_4545555826865159961_o.png

Ok, that is awesome.

Also this thread needs a bump b/c Ori is on the Xbox One ultimate games sale. A little something something from the UGS thread.
I stopped here after several pages of that thread. It's like every 3rd post or so is about Ori. Definitely shaping up to be the best-selling ultimate games sale game.

Of course Ori goes on sale just after I buy it. Whatever, they deserve all that money.

This guy. This guy gets it!!

50% off Ori for Gold members? I'm in

QFT. If you don't already own Ori and you don't buy it at this price point, you should just throw your Xbox One in the garbage right now.

Damn you Ori. You are a great game. Should have bought you when you were still 20 bucks. The devs deserve it.

I TRIED to tell folks this.

Well I got Ori, I only had to pay sales tax for it so I guess I'll see what the hypes about... when I can actually DL it.

It's not hype. It's factual information. Got-tier game.

Got Korra, ORI, and KI Complete. Good stuff.

Buying Ori and AC3 (anticipating BC)

Dang, probably in for ori as well as goat simulator.

Buying Ori and AC3 (anticipating BC)

Play Ori first.

Also, Ori has to be one of the most beautifully made games out there on the market. I'm not gonna rush this one :)

Savor it like the modern classic that it is. Good man!

Ori on sale? I'll take one! =)

Shame on you for waiting for a sale. :)

1. Ori and the Blind Forest (don't care for the current sale price but I do like action platformers and I've been told that if you backed the Bloodstained Kickstarter you'll probably like it)

Don't care for the price?! It's probably the best $$ you'll ever have spent on gaming.

Overall, I think this is kind of a weak sale. I can see myself buying some 360 games in hopes they become backwards compatible, but that is pretty much it. Most of the big discounted games (diablo and borderlands) I already have on PS4 and I swore to never double dip once I got my Xbox.

Getting Ori at a discount off makes this entire sale worthwhile.

Pretty excited to finally play Ori (backlog was holding me back). I heard there were a few issues at launch, have most of these been resolved now?

Yes, issues are largely resolved. Do yourself a favor and put the backlog back on backlog status and bump Ori to the front of the line.

I just bought ori last night for 20 bucks

Are you kidding me right now. Could I email their support our something when it goes up and get a discount? :(

Worst case scenario you don't get the partial refund and you're out $20 for a game that is easily worth far more than $20.

Ori ? Nice, I haven't bought it yet, but it's been on my list since it launched. Although I was fine with the idea of paying 20€ for it.

Nice, waiting for Ori has paid off :]

Personally I'm glad I didn't wait months to save a few bucks and miss out on playing it sooner, but glad you're finally joining the fold. :)

Ori it is then. Like I need more games... yeesh...

Put it at the top of that list.

If the price is right, I'll grab Ori for sure.

The price is wrong. Because any discounted price is wrong considering the game should've cost at least double what it did at launch based on quality. But I hope you pick it up regardless.

Ori will be mine.

You will be Ori's. It will own you. :)

Might bite on Ori.
Looking for sales to spend my credit by the end of the year.

Will grab Ori.

Will double dip for Ori

I think I may finally take the jump and grab Ori with a discount :p

Everyone buy Ori, especially now that it's on sale. Game is beautiful, but I think the challenge is great and has alot of areas that feel like it's a mix of Super Meta Boy with Metoridvania!

Nice, time to get Ori.

I had to buy Ori last week cuz all my credit is expiring. This deal is a week after majority of the credit from that promotion last year expires.

Do it. DO it. DO EEEEEEEEET!

Regginator

I just finished the second dungeon, forgot the name, and now I'm unable to revisit it again. Please tell me there's another way to it, because if not, that's a big gripe to an otherwise fantastic game so far.

Regginator

I just finished the second dungeon, forgot the name, and now I'm unable to revisit it again. Please tell me there's another way to it, because if not, that's a big gripe to an otherwise fantastic game so far.

Managed to get back to the locked areas with an external tool and got my 100% after all. Besides that questionable design choice, it has been a great adventure. Visually stunning, great music and gameplay is really op there. Glad I picked it up recently.

Hynad

Banned
Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark - Gareth Coker

All the tracks in this soundtrack are awesome.

But this one tops them all. It fits the action so well, the way it fits the tension of the moment, the exhiliration it provides, the actual melody... everything about it is simply perfect.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Bought this game at $5, after the flash discount the other day.

It's a great game, congratulations to the developers, sound, graphics and gameplay are incredible.

It's one of the best looking games ever, period. Music is amazing. And the gameplay feels a lot like Rayman Origins in Metroidvania form.

I do have some complaints about the game though. There is nothing after you have finished, no new game +, no option to revisit dungeons (more on this later) or to complete the game 100%.

My biggest complaint with the game though is that some areas are locked away, so if you didn't pick up all the upgrades, then fuck you.

It's worse than it sounds, I was in the second stage, and I had the choice to go up or go right; I chose going up; the game autosaved and overwrote my save, and there was the final part of the level, after finishing it, the level closed forever and I left a big part of it unexplored. Want 100%? Start a fucking new game.

I think not letting you replay stages in a game like this is criminal.

The other problem I have with the game is that at the end of the levels (the 3 of them), there is a scripted action sequence, like escaping from a flooding level, stuff like that; the camera will often be too slow, and jumping too high will make the level flood faster, and it's not well balanced, it's more annoying than fun; but it's short, so no big deal.

There's also not so much exploration here, since you have a huge marker for every secret there is in the game, on the map; so nothing really hidden here.

Oh, and the combat is bad, thankfully it's not important. And the game is 6 hours long, and there is not much point in replaying it, other than achievements (and to LOOK at it again and hear the AWESOME music).

Let's hope this guys do another game, because they can build directly from this one, and correct the mistakes; gorgeous game, I really liked it, and you guys really nailed the gameplay.

Bought this game at $5, after the flash discount the other day.

It's a great game, congratulations to the developers, sound, graphics and gameplay are incredible.

It's one of the best looking games ever, period. Music is amazing. And the gameplay feels a lot like Rayman Origins in Metroidvania form.

I do have some complaints about the game though. There is nothing after you have finished, no new game +, no option to revisit dungeons (more on this later) or to complete the game 100%.

My biggest complaint with the game though is that some areas are locked away, so if you didn't pick up all the upgrades, then fuck you.

It's worse than it sounds, I was in the second stage, and I had the choice to go up or go right; I chose going up; the game autosaved and overwrote my save, and there was the final part of the level, after finishing it, the level closed forever and I left a big part of it unexplored. Want 100%? Start a fucking new game.

I think not letting you replay stages in a game like this is criminal.

The other problem I have with the game is that at the end of the levels (the 3 of them), there is a scripted action sequence, like escaping from a flooding level, stuff like that; the camera will often be too slow, and jumping too high will make the level flood faster, and it's not well balanced, it's more annoying than fun; but it's short, so no big deal.

There's also not so much exploration here, since you have a huge marker for every secret there is in the game, on the map; so nothing really hidden here.

Oh, and the combat is bad, thankfully it's not important. And the game is 6 hours long, and there is not much point in replaying it, other than achievements (and to LOOK at it again and hear the AWESOME music).

Let's hope this guys do another game, because they can build directly from this one, and correct the mistakes; gorgeous game, I really liked it, and you guys really nailed the gameplay.

Respectfully, I disagree with the vast majority of what you've said aside from the minor compliments. Specifically, I want to point out that the combat in this game is quite the opposite of bad. If you think it's bad, it's likely you were just spamming your spirit flame and didn't use the tools at your disposal. Combining charge flame, bash, stomp, and spirit flame all in one fight against one of the large spikey enemies as it breaks up into smaller and smaller ones is a very fluid and exhilarating combat system. Most of the complaints about the combat that I have seen have been from people that didn't play with the various moves, and rather just stood still hammering spirit flame over and over.

Aside from that, the combat isn't even really the focus. This game is more of a platformer than a brawler. The enemies are really only there to provide you with obstacles to avoid and to serve as things to bash off of when platforming your way through the game. Watching speedruns demonstrates this quite nicely, as speedrunners kill very few enemies as they move through the game.

At any rate, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I think your take on the game is quite limited considering you only spent six hours with it. At least you appreciated the art and music though. :)

Just beat the game and wow. I'm blown away by how good this was, it exceeded my expectations by miles! It's so beautiful, packs a great challenge and a heartfelt story as well. Absolutely fantastic! And yes it's well deserving of the award, the credits music is my favourite of all the tracks!

Great job Thomas and the team at Moon Studios, I eagerly await what comes next from you guys! :D

BriGuy

Respectfully, I disagree with the vast majority of what you've said aside from the minor compliments. Specifically, I want to point out that the combat in this game is quite the opposite of bad. If you think it's bad, it's likely you were just spamming your spirit flame and didn't use the tools at your disposal. Combining charge flame, bash, stomp, and spirit flame all in one fight against one of the large spikey enemies as it breaks up into smaller and smaller ones is a very fluid and exhilarating combat system.

You have a very low threshold for exhilaration if you think that aptly describes the combat in Ori. It's one of the game's few weak spots. Sure, you can combine charge flames, bashes and stomps, but there's really no reason to bother. None of the enemies pose that much of a challenge, and their attack patterns are as basic as basic can be. Some more variety (or boss encounters) could have gone a long way here, but as you said, combat isn't the focus of the game.

At any rate, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I think your take on the game is quite limited considering you only spent six hours with it. At least you appreciated the art and music though. :)
Ori is a short game. I finished the game in roughly 7 hours with 98% completion and don't feel as though I'm really missing out on anything. I understand the systems in place and how to take advantage of them, and I imagine he does too. You're also entitled to your opinions, but you're kind of coming off as an apologist here.

Just finished it. 9 hours, about 315 deaths, 96% of things discovered in the world. Not quite a masterpiece, but an excellent game overall. Very pretty, with good music. It's decent as a Metroidvania, but outstanding as a challenging platformer. (I feel the same way about Guacamelee.) The bash move is probably my favorite...using enemies and their projectiles to propel Ori to higher ground was a great touch. This is one of the few Metroidvanias where the world itself is interesting to experience and explore. Misty Woods is probably my favorite area.

As for the combat...it's not bad...it's easy enough to learn, it's responsive, etc. But it is forgettable. Normally that would bother me, but not in this game since combat isn't important...it's just kinda "there" to spice things up a bit. With 98% of the enemies, there's no point in doing anything else other than spamming the basic attack (Spirit Flame).

No boss fights was a sensible decision by Moon Studios...they would feel out of place in this game.

I'm not anti-spikes, but I do think their usage was a bit overdone in this game. Game could have used a little more variety in the types of dangers that Ori faces.

I think the high 8s and low 9s that most sites gave this game are on the money.

I doubt I'll replay this game...one playthough is enough. Ori will not win my personal GOTY, but it will likely finish in my top 10.

What graphics setting on PC is the Xbox version comparable to? I'm buying this game later today and want to get the version that'll look the nicest. Not sure if my laptop (GTX 850M, i7 4700HQ, 8 GB RAM) will run it better than my Xbox.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Respectfully, I disagree with the vast majority of what you've said aside from the minor compliments. Specifically, I want to point out that the combat in this game is quite the opposite of bad. If you think it's bad, it's likely you were just spamming your spirit flame and didn't use the tools at your disposal. Combining charge flame, bash, stomp, and spirit flame all in one fight against one of the large spikey enemies as it breaks up into smaller and smaller ones is a very fluid and exhilarating combat system. Most of the complaints about the combat that I have seen have been from people that didn't play with the various moves, and rather just stood still hammering spirit flame over and over.

Aside from that, the combat isn't even really the focus. This game is more of a platformer than a brawler. The enemies are really only there to provide you with obstacles to avoid and to serve as things to bash off of when platforming your way through the game. Watching speedruns demonstrates this quite nicely, as speedrunners kill very few enemies as they move through the game.

I didn't spam the spirit flame, in fact, I used bash, and throwing enemies A LOT, and had to learn how to fight, since the fighting upgrades were the last I unlocked.

I also stated in my post that thankfully it wasn't the focus of the game. And yes, I only spent 6 hours with the game, because I finished it, I see no point to going back to it again, maybe in few years; it's not like the game let's you go back and recover the unlockables you missed, and there is nothing else to do.

I also said that it's a great game and I enjoyed it a lot; but not GOTY contender for me, the game has obvious design problems. Read my post again.

Zia

So I've absolutely loved the game but am really confused. I am heading to what looks to be the last part of the game so I'm trying to 100% the map and collect all of the upgrades because that's what you do in a Metroidvania, but there's a massive boulder blocking one portion of the map.

Um... is there something I'm missing? Who thought it a good idea to block off an entire area of the map in a Metroidvania that intentionally routes you through the old areas on your way to the last section? I hope I'm wrong and that there's an alternative route in, but if not that's way demoralizing and a terrible design decision...

I didn't spam the spirit flame, in fact, I used bash, and throwing enemies A LOT, and had to learn how to fight, since the fighting upgrades were the last I unlocked.

I also stated in my post that thankfully it wasn't the focus of the game. And yes, I only spent 6 hours with the game, because I finished it, I see no point to going back to it again, maybe in few years; it's not like the game let's you go back and recover the unlockables you missed, and there is nothing else to do.

I also said that it's a great game and I enjoyed it a lot; but not GOTY contender for me, the game has obvious design problems. Read my post again.

I did read it, but I just think it sells the game short to write it off as (paraphrasing) 'a great game for 6 hours that isn't worth going back to'.

The original Super Mario Bros can be 'beaten' in a matter of minutes (if you're talking any% runs, honestly not sure how fast the 100% clear is), yet people still keep going back to it and speedrunning it nearly 30 years later.

That, to me, is the category Ori falls in. It's a game that, while it can be 'beaten' very quickly (my personal any% no glitch PB sits at around 1hr 29minutes), it lends itself to repeat plays due to how tight and fluid the controls are and how much of a joy it is to play.

Sure it doesn't have 10,000 fetch quests like a Bethesda game, or 10,000 collectibles like an Assassin's Creed game. So in that sense maybe there isn't enough to keep you entertained for dozens of hours. But if taken for what it is and enjoyed as a well-crafted, thoroughly masterful platformer, it can provide dozens of hours of entertainment regardless. I think my running total is over 150 hours spent on Ori so far, and I periodically go back to it for a quick speed run just to unwind from playing more laborious/grindy games.

Sorry if I offended you with my response. It was just my opinion, as your post is your opinion, but I do still feel like the general wording of your post did sell this game seriously short.

Ori is a short game. I finished the game in roughly 7 hours with 98% completion and don't feel as though I'm really missing out on anything. I understand the systems in place and how to take advantage of them, and I imagine he does too. You're also entitled to your opinions, but you're kind of coming off as an apologist here.

If you've followed along with this thread from day one, you've seen that I've been shouting its praises from the beginning, long before any negative opinions were voiced (apart from the initial grips with the glitches at any rate). I'm not being an apologist. I'm just stating my genuine opinion that this game is the most enjoyable platformer that I've played in the past two decades. That title was previously held by Rayman Legends, and while that game has more content, it just isn't the sheer joy to play that Ori is. I wouldn't have logged the hours that I have on it if I were just trying to gloss over shortcomings. I genuinely don't believe there are any. The glitches have been patched as far as I know, unless there are some rarer ones I haven't heard about, and as far as boss battles and whatnot are concerned, I just genuinely don't believe it needs them. Not every game has to fit some checklist of must-haves in order to be considered a masterful work. Ori is a classic, right up there on par with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and other series that have withstood the test of time.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
So I've absolutely loved the game but am really confused. I am heading to what looks to be the last part of the game so I'm trying to 100% the map and collect all of the upgrades because that's what you do in a Metroidvania, but there's a massive boulder blocking one portion of the map.

Um... is there something I'm missing? Who thought it a good idea to block off an entire area of the map in a Metroidvania that intentionally routes you through the old areas on your way to the last section? I hope I'm wrong and that there's an alternative route in, but if not that's way demoralizing and a terrible design decision...
Want 100%? Start a new game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Er, that's not an actual solution to what is either poor design or a completely antithetical decision made to "encourage" a second play through.
Exactly, read my post about it; the thing that infuriated me most though was in the second level, when I chose a path, and it was the last, the game auto saved and overwrote my save; so I couldn't explore a part of a level. That's just poor game design.

saxman717

Banned
About 40% of the way through ---- what an amazing game. Such care taken with the artwork, animations, backgrounds etc. The metroidvania style is perfectly executed.

More games need to be made with this quality and care.

Any recommendations for games of similar quality? Metroidvania preferred, but anything that comes close to the level of care of this game (e.g. Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Okami etc.)

About 40% of the way through ---- what an amazing game. Such care taken with the artwork, animations, backgrounds etc. The metroidvania style is perfectly executed.

More games need to be made with this quality and care.

Any recommendations for games of similar quality? Metroidvania preferred, but anything that comes close to the level of care of this game (e.g. Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Okami etc.)

Strider was fun. It doesn't hold a candle next to Ori, but for a decent metroidvania romp it holds its weight.

Lumine

Loving the game. Most gorgeous Metroidvania I've played. Combat isn't great though and there's a few frustrating platform parts, but it looks so good it makes up for most of it.

Except one thing. It looks like I can't return to the
Forlorn Ruins
? There's a part left unexplored as I chose to go up first instead of to the right. If I can't return however that's really disappointing design in an otherwise so well crafted Metroidvania game. Or do I get to
warp between savepoints
later?

Loving the game. Most gorgeous Metroidvania I've played. Combat isn't great though and there's a few frustrating platform parts, but it looks so good it makes up for most of it.

Except one thing. It looks like I can't return to the
Forlorn Ruins
? There's a part left unexplored as I chose to go up first instead of to the right. If I can't return however that's really disappointing design in an otherwise so well crafted Metroidvania game. Or do I get to
warp between savepoints
later?

You can not return to the three dungeons that include Forlorn Ruins.

Lumine

You can not return to the three dungeons that include Forlorn Ruins.

Thanks. Shame though, it's a small thing but it still bothered me a little. I would've gone for the 100% had this not been the case. Finished the game in the meanwhile. Still liked it a lot despite a few minor faults like the previously mentioned. It looks so good.

Megatron

Just started the game. I'm having trouble understanding it. The explanations flew by without me telling them to close. I can save at any time by holding b? (Xb1 version) am I using consumable resources like the ink ribbons in resident evil to do this?

It keeps telling me to find an ability tree so I can spend my skill points? What. Why can't I just upgrade when I have them? How will I recognize ability trees?

Something flashed on screen about soul links. What are these, how do I use them, what do they do?

Press x to open an energy door? Is this for later in the game?

I just got the charge attack, do I only get to use so many of those? How do I replenish them and how can I tell when I can use them?

Any other tips for early in the game?

Just started the game. I'm having trouble understanding it. The explanations flew by without me telling them to close. I can save at any time by holding b? (Xb1 version) am I using consumable resources like the ink ribbons in resident evil to do this?

It keeps telling me to find an ability tree so I can spend my skill points? What. Why can't I just upgrade when I have them? How will I recognize ability trees?

Something flashed on screen about soul links. What are these, how do I use them, what do they do?

Press x to open an energy door? Is this for later in the game?

I just got the charge attack, do I only get to use so many of those? How do I replenish them and how can I tell when I can use them?

Any other tips for early in the game?

You can save at any time by pressing B to create a soul link, yes. But creating a soul link uses your Spirit Energy. These are the blue circles at the bottom of the screen (the green ones are your life/hit points). This also answers your other question about soul links. It takes one full circle of spirit energy to create a soul link initially, but you can get an upgrade later that allows you to create a soul link using only half a circle of energy, as well as other upgrades that regenerate your life when you create a soul link.

To access the ability tree to spend skill points, create a soul link and tap B again near it. This opens up the ability tree. You hold B to create it, then tap B at/near the soul link to spend your ability points. There is also an upgrade on the ability tree that lets you re-kindle a soul link, aka hold B next to it to save again without spending any spirit energy to create a new one.

Energy doors are the greyish blue doors with little empty circles in them. There can be up to 5 of these circles. You need Spirit Energy to open them, so if a door has 5 circles, then you would need 5 full circles of spirit energy to open it. You start the game with zero spirit energy, and you gain full circles of it by collecting the Energy Cells (large blue orbs spread throughout the game, of which there are like 12-15... can't remember the max total).

The charge attack (aka charge flame) is activated by holding X (the button you tap to use spirit flame) until it charges up (hence the name), then releasing it. You can use charge flame until you run out of spirit energy (once again the blue circles at the bottom of the screen).

So, spirit energy is used for Charge Flame, to open energy doors, and to create soul links. To replenish spirit energy, you can kill enemies and they will occasionally drop one, destroy certain parts of the environment such as the purple spikes and hanging globes which will sometimes drop spirit energy, by 'leveling up', by picking up the large blue Energy Cells around the map, and lastly by activating a Spirit Well (of which there are only 8 in the entire game). Leveling up or picking up an energy cell will fully replenish all of your spirit energy, as will using a Spirit Well.

I hope this answers all your questions. :)

Megatron

You can save at any time by pressing B to create a soul link, yes. But creating a soul link uses your Spirit Energy. These are the blue circles at the bottom of the screen (the green ones are your life/hit points). This also answers your other question about soul links. It takes one full circle of spirit energy to create a soul link initially, but you can get an upgrade later that allows you to create a soul link using only half a circle of energy, as well as other upgrades that regenerate your life when you create a soul link.

To access the ability tree to spend skill points, create a soul link and tap B again near it. This opens up the ability tree. You hold B to create it, then tap B at/near the soul link to spend your ability points. There is also an upgrade on the ability tree that lets you re-kindle a soul link, aka hold B next to it to save again without spending any spirit energy to create a new one.

Energy doors are the greyish blue doors with little empty circles in them. There can be up to 5 of these circles. You need Spirit Energy to open them, so if a door has 5 circles, then you would need 5 full circles of spirit energy to open it. You start the game with zero spirit energy, and you gain full circles of it by collecting the Energy Cells (large blue orbs spread throughout the game, of which there are like 12-15... can't remember the max total).

The charge attack (aka charge flame) is activated by holding X (the button you tap to use spirit flame) until it charges up (hence the name), then releasing it. You can use charge flame until you run out of spirit energy (once again the blue circles at the bottom of the screen).

So, spirit energy is used for Charge Flame, to open energy doors, and to create soul links. To replenish spirit energy, you can kill enemies and they will occasionally drop one, destroy certain parts of the environment such as the purple spikes and hanging globes which will sometimes drop spirit energy, by 'leveling up', by picking up the large blue Energy Cells around the map, and lastly by activating a Spirit Well (of which there are only 8 in the entire game). Leveling up or picking up an energy cell will fully replenish all of your spirit energy, as will using a Spirit Well.

I hope this answers all your questions. :)

Thank you for this!

This game went from frustrating the hell out of me to incredibly awesome in about an hour. Loving this game now!

Thank you for this!

This game went from frustrating the hell out of me to incredibly awesome in about an hour. Loving this game now!

It's funny how sometimes frustrating games turn out to be the ones we love the most. It has to have just the right balance of frustration and reward, though, because if the learning curve is TOO steep it just becomes off-putting and unenjoyable, and most folks will walk away.

Ori strikes that perfect balance where when you're a novice, you die.. a lot, and then you die more. But once you break through from that beginning skill level to a more thorough grasp of the game's mechanics, your deaths drop to less than 10% of what they were in the beginning, and you appreciate all the platforming the game has to offer, not to mention the jaw-dropping beauty of the artwork and music.

Glad you're liking it man. Enjoy it, and don't rush it. :)

Oh, and you haven't seen anything until you get the bash ability. ;)

Top Bottom