• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Snake Voice David Hayter Has No Love For Hideo Kojima (Kotaku)

entremet

Link:

http://kotaku.com/original-snake-voice-actor-david-hayter-has-no-love-for-1767265986

“They tried to do that before and it never worked,” Hayter said. Along with soundalikes, Hayter heard that Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima wanted actor Kurt Russell to play Snake in Metal Gear Solid 3.

So the replacement wasn’t a total surprise, but Hayter was still pretty crushed. “It’s horrible. It’s humiliating.” Talking about fans asking if he’d played the latest game, Hayter said, “Yeah, that’d be 60 hours of humiliation I can’t wait to get to.”

As for the famed creator of Metal Gear, Hayter can’t see himself ever working with Hideo Kojima again.

“I think he handled it pretty badly. I’ve got no particular love for Kojima. I respect him and I think he’s a brilliant game maker. I don’t know him as a person and as a businessman I was not impressed. So no, I don’t feel any need to go back and work for him again.”

The original interview was found in the Game Informer podcast.

Link below.

David Hayter: Playing Metal Gear Solid V Would Have Been '60 Hours Of Humiliation'

Podcast Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ai1bh-D3K8

SystemBug

JAy5T6P.gif

"Hayter was a mistake. He is nothing but trash"

You can say he Haytes Kojima.
sorry
I'd be pretty pissed if I was replaced in such a key role for no reason and my replacement was a silent protagonist that probably got paid way more.

considering the entire saga around MGSV I agree with Hayter

looking forward to kojipros next game but nowhere near as much as I did previous projects

Judging by the comments so far, is it an unpopular opinion to like Hayter over Sutherland?

it's been an opinion that's grown smaller and smaller here the last year or three because a) his peace walker snake sucked and b) lots of people put stock in Sutherland because kojima chose him

Mediking

I feel sorry for the guy...and it's obvious Sutherland was charging for so much money every-time he spoke because Snake barely says anything in the game....

Yeah, I know that's a game design choice but still....

Sutherland did a good job even though he barely said anything.

I'm not a huge Metal gear guy, but is Hayter's work in the series regarded as good? I mean his voice is iconic but I don't really think his performance is stellar in really any of the games.

To be fair I don't think Kiefer Sutherland was anything spectacular, but the outrage from some over Hayter's replacement kind of surprises me. If I was directing that series I would have replaced him sooner. Maybe I'm off base, I've only really played through the games once each.

Faustek

Wait, Snake Plissken for Snake?
That would have been awesome. Yeah, yeah I twinged a lot in the beginning when I didn't hear Hayter but I got used to it. Probably better Plissken didn't get the part. Would have absolutely felt crushed if he got replaced. Never been rather than replaced for Plissken.

Boke1879

You can say he Haytes Kojima.
sorry
I'd be pretty pissed if I was replaced in such a key role for no reason and my replacement was a silent protagonist that probably got paid way more.

Or he could just move on instead of being immature about the whole thing. Ever since this started he's been immature about this. On twitter and he keeps harping on it. Sure the situation could have been handled better but at the end of the day they went a different direction. Something they should have done with MGS3.

entremet

Why Kotaku when the article/interview is from Game Informer?

Anyway, that's kinda sad. Hayter'll always be Snake in my heart <3

Added the Kotaku link. I forgot. I found out about the story from them, but I always want to give Game Informer direct attribution since it's from their podcast.

But. Replacing Hayter for MGS 3 would make sense. It was Big boss's story then. And after 3 his performances really took a nose dive.

I had no problem with the change. It should have been done with 3. Have Hayter for 4. Have MGS3 VO for 5 and PW

I got a lot of love for Kojima, but David Hayter was fantastic as Snake. Surprised to hear Kojima was looking to get a big name in the role as early as MGS 3.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'm not a huge Metal gear guy, but is Hayter's work in the series regarded as good? I mean his voice is iconic but I don't really think his performance is stellar in really any of the games.

To be fair I don't think Kiefer Sutherland was anything spectacular, but the outrage from some over Hayter's replacement kind of surprises me. If I was directing that series I would have replaced him sooner. Maybe I'm off base, I've only really played through the games once each.

If you look at the link you can see Kojima had already tried to find a new VA for Snake in MGS3.

Hayter is awful.

Wereroku

Dude is salty af, needs to get over it.

Ehhh if I was fired because my boss wanted to feell like he was in the big leagues I'd probably get a bit pissed as well. Also MGSV was a worse game because of Sutherland.

But. Replacing Hayter for MGS 3 would make sense. It was Big boss's story then. And after 3 his performances really took a nose dive.

Yeah but how much of that was his fault versus the voice direction he was being given. It's easy to blame the voice actor but a lot of times they are just doing what the director wants.

The good news for him is that Sutherland hardly speaks in MGSV, so Hayter may as well go and play it.

I'll be honest though, I never cared for Hayter's "12 packs a day" version of Snake, even back on the PS1, after hearing the authorative sounding Japanese voice first.

firelogic

Ehhh if I was fired because my boss wanted to fill like he was in the big leagues I'd probably get a bit pissed as well. Also MGSV was a worse game because of Sutherland.

Yeah but how much of that was his fault versus the voice direction he was being given. It's easy to blame the voice actor but a lot of times they are just doing what the director wants.

Like Hayter all you want but Sutherland was great in MGSV.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Ehhh if I was fired because my boss wanted to fill like he was in the big leagues I'd probably get a bit pissed as well. Also MGSV was a worse game because of Sutherland.

He wasn't fired, he assumed he would be reprising the role. He's been very immature about it and the way the internet consistently takes is side is strange to me.

I dont see how Sutherland made MGSV a worse game.

Where I absolutely agree with him that he was wronged was with Metal Gear Solid V specifically. It was basically Kojima's MG finale, and it could've just as easily been Hayter's as well. Snake says jack shit in the game. Why kick him out now of all times? Legitimately seems like a slap in the face.

Having played MGS1 and 3 though, I never really enjoyed Hayter's performance as something magically outstanding. I don't really blame Kojima for trying to replace him at MGS3 if he wanted to reach higher.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Dude is salty af, needs to get over it.
It's weird how salty he is, it always seemed like sarcasm and that the whole thing was elaborate.

Sutherland sucked and Hayter is the better Snake, but still, bro, get over it.

Wereroku

Like Hayter all you want but Sutherland was great in MGSV.

Naw it was a shitty performance and was basically worthless. The game would have been exactly the same if he was completely silent.

He wasn't fired, he assumed he would be reprising the role. He's been very immature about it and the way the internet consistently takes is side is strange to me.

I dont see how Sutherland made MGSV a worse game.

When you have had the same role for 5 games and get replaced I would consider that being fired. Sutherland was monotone for all the dialogue it was stupid and didn't add any value to the game.

Top Bottom