• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Snake Voice David Hayter Has No Love For Hideo Kojima (Kotaku)

Who knows, could be equal parts. But how he can barely gets lines out under the grumbly VO of his in PW and walk out of the booth thinking, nailed it, is beyond my understanding.

Hayter had very little say during the recording process. I highly doubt he had the chance to do redo any scenes as this interview with the whole cast show that Konami and Kojima were rigid as hell when it came to the recording process. No opportunity to veer away from what Japan wanted.

Thabass

While I do feel that Hayter is indeed Snake and Big Boss, I don't see why is he in the least bit salty here.

The guy has been the main voice for Snake/Boss for over a decade and if it weren't for Hideo Kojima, I don't think he would have had the success he has had in the industry.

I get that he's upset about not playing a role he's so familiar with, but he really needs to let it go.

While I do feel that Hayter is indeed Snake and Big Boss, I don't see why is he in the least bit salty here.

The guy has been the main voice for Snake/Boss for over a decade and if it weren't for Hideo Kojima, I don't think he would have had the success he has had in the industry.

I get that he's upset about not playing a role he's so familiar with, but he really needs to let it go.

People are asking him a question directly related to the topic. I don't think he really wants to answer these questions but I personally find it commendable that he's giving honest answers.

Ishida

Banned
Solidus was the closest genetically so by this logic Naked Snake should've been voiced by John Cygan.

He should have. :(

He was a parody of himself. Peace Walker hayter was a new low. I'm glad we got something normal at least from Sutherland.

Metal Gear became a parody of itself, so Hayter's cartoony acting fits just perfectly. I guess you forget Peace Walker is the game where Snake believes in Santa Claus and is overexcited for a Cardboard Tank.

He's already over it, since a long time ago. It's the fans and journalists that keep pestering/asking him about it. Hayter is not the one that "needs to let it go".

komorebi

Wish Hayter would have been kept around for MGSV, Sutherland was a massive step down

Kiefer is really terrible in this game, every time he opens his mouth I just shake my head. I'll never get used to it and in my view the series really ended on the lowest note possible aside from the gameplay which is ironically the best its ever been. But too late now.

EDIT: I should add that I like Kiefer as an actor, I think he's great in movies. But he sounds like he was shoehorned into the cast, story, and MG universe. Maybe its just every other character (aside from Troy Baker's equally embarrassing Ocelot) acting like they know what game they're recording for and are familiar enough with the zaniness of the series. Kiefer sounds phoned in way more than Hayter's worst performances and I mean that literally. As in he phoned in his dialogue isolated from a true understanding of the MG universe. Hayter at least had that. He's Snake ffs.

Shining Lights, Even in Death alone justifies the Sutherland choice.

Yeah the one performance in the game that Sutherland didn't completely sleep through delivered in the one scene in the game that wasn't a complete fucking bore really justifies Kojima's dumbass decision to tap Sutherland for a role held by someone else for over a decade at what was presumably only a slightly drastic price increase.

All this for a nearly mute character whose literary function is as a player self-insert. Well done Kojima. Truly a master of your craft. Can't wait for your next bloated mess.

Mr. RHC

Yeah the one performance in the game that Sutherland didn't completely sleep through delivered in the one scene in the game that wasn't a complete fucking bore really justifies Kojima's dumbass decision to tap Sutherland for a role held by someone else for over a decade at what was presumably only a slightly drastic price increase.

All this for a nearly mute character whose literary function is as a player self-insert. Well done Kojima. Truly a master of your craft. Can't wait for your next bloated mess.

There's plenty of good Sutherland lines in MGSV.

I came in here specifically for a "Hayter's gonna hayte" joke

Hayters gonna hate.

hayters gonna hate

Hayter gonna hate.

Hayters gonna hayte.

Anyone said Hayter's gonna hate yet?

13 pages in, I'm sure someone has already said Hayter's gonna hate.

Hayters gonna hayte
:^)

Hayter gonna Hayte

I think this is plenty, guys. Stop.

Rymuth

Metal Gear became a parody of itself, so Hayter's cartoony acting fits just perfectly. I guess you forget Peace Walker is the game where Snake believes in Santa Claus and is overexcited for a Cardboard Tank.
Forgot about that...wow...

I'm aghast Kojima took us from that to vagina-bombs...what happened..

Pyrrhus

Forgot about that...wow...

I'm aghast Kojima took us from that to vagina-bombs...what happened..

Don't forget the military-enforced child rape. Dude climbed up his own ass shortly after MGS3 went gold and has been up their huffing butt juice for the last dozen or so years.

Chola

Banned
He should have. :(
Wow,Mgs is a parody now?. cardbox and silly jokes have been in mgs since the very beginning. The extent the mgs fans go to depend their egoistical opinion is mind bogling. I am glad MGS is dead, its fanbase is just full of shit

I would pay good money to have Hayter do a Venom Snake voice pack that could be modded into the PC version of MGS:V. Someone should kickstart that

Who knows, could be equal parts. But how he can barely gets lines out under the grumbly VO of his in PW and walk out of the booth thinking, nailed it, is beyond my understanding.

So I take it you've never done voice over work before? Because it doesn't matter if you personally think you 'nailed it'... The VO director is the guy who ultimately says "Yeah that line was perfect" and "Okay, that's all we need you for today".

He's the one that says "Hey I need you to sound gruffer" or "Could you ease up on the gravelyness". I think people often forget just how in general good direction can elevate a performance (ANY performance) or tank it to the ground.

Wow,Mgs is a parody now?. cardbox and silly jokes have been in mgs since the very beginning. The extent the mgs fans go to depend their egoistical opinion is mind bogling. I am glad MGS is dead, its fanbase is just full of shit

The cardboard boxes were silly, but at least had SOME basis in reality... You really can hide in a box.

Compare that to PW and it's cardboard tank....

Imagine Sutherland trying to do these lines...

I know where he's coming from. Playing MGS:V is like one 60 hour long douche chill.

sDz2KS5.jpg

Yea I don't think I'll ever play MGSV. I don't have the patience for it, and Kojima has clearly jumped the shark. Just looks awful.

Edzi

Wow, since when did everyone hate Hayter?

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of fans prefer Hayter, but the more vocal hatred seems to have started since they announced Sutherland. I'm sure there were people before, but man did it get over the top after that.

It started this stupid trend where people feel they have to either insult/hate on Hayter, or hate on Sutherland. I love Hayter and hate how they got rid of him as Snake, and I'll never really accept MGSV's Sutherland Snake, but with that being said none of this is Sutherland's fault. He did okay with what was given to him, and it's on Kojima for not understanding that changing a character's voice wouldn't sit well with fans.

Since about MGS4.

People definitely started pointing out that they didn't like his ultra gruff voice, especially with PW, but the vitriol didn't really start until after the voice change was announced from what I remember.

Pyrrhus

Since they announced Sutherland. I'm sure there were people before, but man did it get over the top after that.

It's started this stupid war where people feel they have to either insult/hate on Hayter, or hate on Sutherland. I love Hayter and hate how they got rid of him as Snake, and I'll never really accept MGSV's Sutherland Snake, but with that being said none of this is Sutherland's fault. He did okay with what was given to him, and it's on Kojima for not understanding that changing a character's voice wouldn't sit well with fans.

I'm in camp Hayter but I don't really hold any animus toward Sutherland. He's just working. As you say, it's all on Kojima. He said something along the lines of "It's my Metal Gear and I can destroy it if I want to," back in the MGS2 days. So, uh, good job, I guess.

Wow, since when did everyone hate Hayter?
It's a recent thing, and it's super weird for us that have been around since 1996 or so reading, watching, and listening to Metal Gear stuff. Regardless of how much you like Hayter's work, the cultural majority was in love with his work. He was always mentioned in "Top VAs in Gaming!" lists and stuff. People loved the character he created.

Perhaps his performances in 4 and PW soured things, but to me, the backlash has been just so over the top and reactionary and full of hyperbole.

Ishida

Banned

Huh... Metal Gear is a parody of itself ever since the first Metal Gear Solid, which is basically a remake/parody of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

The series just went crazier and crazier from there.

You are taking this franchise waaaay too seriously.

SkylineRKR

I like Hayter.

I mean, who wasn't amazed by MGS1 in 1998? His VA was top notch in that era. He was Snake, for the gamers in the west anyway. Original MGS has excellent VA overall, likely a franchise best. He doesn't deserve the shitting.

So Hayter in MGS2 still made sense, still Solid Snake and only a few years later. But by MGS3 things got weird. Because Naked Snake isn't Solid Snake. Naked Snake should have been more different, Solid Snake was his worst clone in fact. For MGS4 Hideo murdered Solid Snake by making him old which I didn't like at all. Hayter was the right choice as an old you shouldn't have gotten a completely different voice. But his limited range became apparent, he didn't pull off Old Snake well. Hayter would've worked for MGS:V, but it would've been weird to experience him with so little dialogue. If he ever plays the game, I'm sure he'll be like 'that was it? I got the boot for this? lol'.

Hayter alluded that that in a couple of interviews in the past but never out-rightly said anything about permanent damage.

It's not the first time I've heard David Hayter sounding quite disgruntled at the way he was ushered out the back door to give way to a Hollywood actor (who was barely fucking used). He's got every right to be. But given the tone of TPP, I really don't think his voice (which is truly iconic to me) would have fit the dialogue.

I still live in hope that someone takes the franchise from #FucKonami 's withered, dead hands and remake the MSX Metal Gear 1 and 2 with Hayter reprising his role as Solid Snake. It would be fucking brilliant.

Moronwind

Banned
So Hayter in MGS2 still made sense, still Solid Snake and only a few years later. But by MGS3 things got weird. Because Naked Snake isn't Solid Snake. Naked Snake should have been more different, Solid Snake was his worst clone in fact. For MGS4 Hideo murdered Solid Snake by making him old which I didn't like at all. Hayter was the right choice as an old you shouldn't have gotten a completely different voice. But his limited range became apparent, he didn't pull off Old Snake well. Hayter would've worked for MGS:V, but it would've been weird to experience him with so little dialogue. If he ever plays the game, I'm sure he'll be like 'that was it? I got the boot for this? lol'.

Naked and Solid Snake are basically the same character. The entire reason we got Snake Eater is because the whole clone story provided the perfect excuse to set the next game in an entirely different time period yet still allow you to play as the same dude. Who technically isn't the same dude. But he is the same dude.
Notice how Snake refers to Naked and Solid interchangeably.

Ishida

Banned
Naked and Solid Snake are basically the same character. The entire reason we got Snake Eater is because the whole clone story provided the perfect excuse to set the next game in an entirely different time period yet still allow you to play as the same dude. Who technically isn't the same dude. But he is the same dude.
Notice how Snake refers to Naked and Solid interchangeably.

Their personalities are entirely different, though.

Top Bottom