• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Review Thread. 4 Player Cooking Game Xbox 1/PS4/PC ~76 OpenCritic

overcooked-review-790x444.jpg

Name: Overcooked
Publisher: Team 17 (Worms games)
Developer: Ghost Town Games
Platforms: PS4/Xbox One/PC
Features: Co-op/Competitive/Single Player (Drop in and Out) | LOCAL ONLY
Release: August 2nd. (Aug 3rd on Steam)
Price: $17.00, with a 20% discount on Steam if you pre-order

About: Overcooked! A 1-4 player game where you prepare, cook, and serve a bunch of meals across a variety of uniquely themed (and dynamically challenging) kitchens.

The Gameplay:

1) Customers request orders.
2) Players pull out ingredients from a pantry with a button press
3) Players prepare food at a designated spot (e.g. chopping onions)
4) Players cook food (e.g. putting chopped onions into a pot)
5) Players put together food, then serve it for a tip (e.g. onion soup)

The Challenges:

1) Dynamically changing kitchens, like a slippery iceberg, or a busy street corner where pedestrians walk right down your kitchen. Players can become trapped off, or slowed down. This is where teamwork and anticipation comes in.

2) Leaving food on pots too long can cause fires that need to be taken out

3) You can miss out on orders if you don't finish them on time

4) You need to wash dishes, or you wont have clean plates to serve customers

5) Chaos! 4 players running around in a kitchen, preparing ingredients, cooking, cleaning, and getting in each other's way is all part of the fun.

630x.jpg

Expectedly, the lack of online bums a lot of people out, but the co-op experience is considered fantastic.

OpenCritic: ~76

PC Gamer: 86/100
One of the most fun and challenging local co-op games ever made, but the single-player experience is less thrilling, making the lack of online play disappointing.

PlayStation Universe: 8.5/10
All told, Overcooked is a thoughtfully crafted love letter to the sort of titles that many of us forged our gaming mettle with; a body of games that have needlessly fallen by the wayside with the advent of online multiplayer. If you're looking for a quirky, fun indie title that'll have you hurling instructions and insults towards your friends with equal frequency, then look no further. But for those who can't handle the heat, it's best to stay out of the kitchen.

PushSquare: 8/10
Aside from a few minor presentation and performance niggles, Overcooked is a wonderfully executed game, and is one of the best co-operative experiences in recent years. The simplicity of the controls and gameplay make it extremely accessible, while there is still plenty of challenge in the later, crazier kitchens. Working together effectively with a few buddies feels fantastic, and even when things get a bit heated, it's all part of the fun. If you're looking for a light-hearted couch co-op game, Overcooked should definitely be on your menu.

630x.jpg

God Is A Geek: 8/10
Overcooked is great fun and I think anyone would have a top time playing it, the only real problem is that the fun is much greater and more sustained when played with friends, which might prove to be a problem to some. But with a simple mechanic that has been built upon to keep things fresh and interesting, Overcooked is worth playing regardless.

The Sixth Axis: 8/10
Crafting a game that feels like a true co-operative experience is something studios continue to struggle with even today. For a dev duo like Ghost Town Games to come along and nail it at their first attempt is a remarkable feat to say the least. As a result, Overcooked is easily the best co-op game of 2016 so far and will hopefully set living rooms afire with its accessible, often hilarious culinary hijinks. It’s certainly a game I’ll continue to revisit, roping in anyone willing to sit down and pick up a controller.

KNUPZUSpn5N3kRy7ACGn5g-650-80.jpg

NZGamer: 7.3/10
There’s an interesting mix of characters and environments to keep the gameplay fresh, and the soundtrack is a delight. It doesn’t hold up so well as a single-player experience because of the repetitive nature if you have to do everything yourself, but it’s a great party game with some friends.

Hardcore Gamer: 3/5
What it boils down to is that if you have two or more controllers and the appropriate amount of friends to play with, then you should check out Overcooked, but if you’re looking to dine alone, then you had best move on.

9yDdmhr9jasY82yFBYeB3g-650-80.jpg

Xbox Achievements: 7/10
A fun but frustrating cooking experience, Overcooked is a fantastic couch co-op party game that will put your friendships to the test. Expect to be shouting and swearing at one another a lot; it gets pretty damn hot in Overcooked's kitchen. If you can't stand the heat, get out! Otherwise, bon appetit.

Video Gamer: 7/10
With simple controls and an easy to understand premise, anyone can turn their hand to it with ease, then partake in some truly stressful yet fun multiplayer cooking action.

Pure PlayStation: 4.9/10

Overcooked could have been such a fun online game but that wasn't implemented. It could have been a party game for any occasion but tediousness and self-hampering prevent the title from being fun for more than a few hours if that. The cooking adventure lacks the fun of cooking when it constantly puts roadblocks in front of itself. Solving the singleplayer problem is as simple as reducing point thresholds and allowing the use of just one chef and the tediousness element can be fixed by removing mandatory star requirements to move the plot along. Experiencing what this game has to offer the first time is enjoyable but thanks to the way it's designed, everything will slowly turn to irritation.

Leunam

Wasn't so sure about this until I saw the kitchen split across two trucks, now I just have to convince my friends to come by and play.

N° 2048

Well, during solo, you can control multiple characters by switching through them. So it should be fun to try and maximize your score/efficiency as you try and cook, clean, serve, etc. all by yourself.

Ohhh ok I like that. So it's not just bots.

Appreciate the info :)

Natiko

Banned
It's 2016, games like this need online coop:(
Agreed. Me and my girlfriend make two, but it seems like getting through later stages would be extremely hard. If I'm going to get together with friends we're likely to do something more grand than just playing a single, random game, regardless of the quality.

BigBeauford

I wasn't even aware it was releasing on mobile. Can't see any suggestion that it is.

I've preordered on PS4 and I'm very much looking forward to it. It's a tremendously fun game.

Sorry I meant the mobile online store. Also looked on the store on my ps4, can't find it.

I feel like this is going to be the next Videoball: an excellent concept polished to perfection but killed by the lack of online gameplay.

Never heard about the game before but have been checking this out today and read a couple of reviews and this seems like a great game to play with the wife. Pleasantly surprised about the price as well and probably end up picking this up tomorrow.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Been repeating this way too much, but man they need online for this. It looks soooooo fun, seriously one of the most fun-looking games in a long time for me - but I need that online multiplayer.

Even if they can't do it themselves, at least do a Kickstarter or something to pay for someone to work on the online for them.

Really hope they work something out and patch it in, I know there are tons of others out there that would buy this in an instant if it had online multiplayer.

Ashtar

Been repeating this way too much, but man they need online for this. It looks soooooo fun, seriously one of the most fun-looking games in a long time for me - but I need that online multiplayer.

Even if they can't do it themselves, at least do a Kickstarter or something to pay for someone to work on the online for them.

Really hope they work something out and patch it in, I know there are tons of others out there that would buy this in an instant if it had online multiplayer.
Lol I read this as tens of others
But yeah unfortunately the server cost and technical know how is prohibitive or so it would seem, there are plenty of games I feel would benefit but just doesn't seem feasible unless there's a cash infusion
Anyway game looks good id like to know how 2 player is if you can't get all 4 people to play

I had no idea about this game,but it looks like loads of fun.With local play it's a must,shame not online though.But something me n the Wife could enjoy together

BSpot

Obviously Dev's prerogative, but in this day and age, a game like this being Local Co-op only essentially decapitates its sales and sets it up for financial mediocrity or worse.
It sounds like a solid title I know I wouldn't have hesitated to purchase had I been able to play with others (online.)

Hip Hop

Man, would have bought right away, but the lack of online is a huge detriment.

I'll consider it if they add that in the future.

Do you think it's possible?

By the way, the publisher is Team 17! You'd think they'd have the experience to support the game with online support.

I wonder if Shareplay will work?

Wonderful game. (Did the PSU review) -- highly recommended!

Ill add you to the list ;) I really like how so many reviewers couldnt resist the cooking puns >_>

Unkle

Do you think it's possible?

By the way, the publisher is Team 17! You'd think they'd have the experience to support the game with online support.

I wonder if Shareplay will work?

Ill add you to the list ;) I really like how so many reviewers couldnt resist the cooking puns >_>

Haha, I'm already on the list!

Had to do a pun, naturally. It was made more difficult, though, as every Team17 press release was written to contain as many as possible. There wasn't many more to choose from!

Haha, I'm already on the list!

Had to do a pun, naturally. It was made more difficult, though, as every Team17 press release was written to contain as many as possible. There wasn't many more to choose from!

Oops. I'm not too good at this thread making. I wanted to do an OT for this game, but I don't have the skills to make banners and all that. Maybe I'll just toss together some basic info and at least get a thread going for discussion when it comes out

Can I bother you for some details? How many levels are there, for example. How many competitive levels?

Unkle

Oops. I'm not too good at this thread making. I wanted to do an OT for this game, but I don't have the skills to make banners and all that. Maybe I'll just toss together some basic info and at least get a thread going for discussion when it comes out

Can I bother you for some details? How many levels are there, for example. How many competitive levels?

Sure! I'll just lift it from one of the emails:

Overcooked features:

· 28 standard campaign levels plus an additional introductory level and final boss to conquer!

· Local co-op play for 1 to 4 players across all campaign levels!

· 9 versus levels to go head to head locally with either 2 or 4 players

· A range of different and unusual kitchens to play across with different recipes to master, cook soup, burritos, burgers and fish and chips

· 14 different chefs to play as!

· 11 achievements/Trophies to cook up.

Available for £12.99 / $16.99 / 15,99 €.

Sure! I'll just lift it from one of the emails:

Overcooked features:

· 28 standard campaign levels plus an additional introductory level and final boss to conquer!

· Local co-op play for 1 to 4 players across all campaign levels!

· 9 versus levels to go head to head locally with either 2 or 4 players

· A range of different and unusual kitchens to play across with different recipes to master, cook soup, burritos, burgers and fish and chips

· 14 different chefs to play as!

· 11 achievements/Trophies to cook up.

Available for £12.99 / $16.99 / 15,99 €.

Thanks!

Add me to the list of those who would have insta-bought and convinced my friends too if there was online. Seems like such a missed opportunity. I guess I'll wait for a steam sale or humble bundle now.

I've been curious about this, I saw Playstation Access and Good Game playing it, and it was hysterical. It'd be fascinating to watch with a team really working together.

Tagyhag

It's 2016, games like this need online coop:(

It being 2016 didn't make adding online as an indie dev any easier.

Ask any dev here and they'll tell you how infinitely more complex making a game becomes as soon as you decide to add online.

Hopefully we get a patch eventually but people have to understand why not all indie games come out with online. All you see is stuff like "Aw what a missed opportunity!" Like adding online would just be a week's work and then it'll always work like a charm.

Heck, Gang Beasts was wildly popular and look how long it took for it to get online.

BigBeauford

I got my wife to play this with me; really great time. Also got in a remote play session with a friends, and we couldn't stop. Tommarow I will be playing 4 player. I highly recommend this for anyone who likes to frequently get together with friends..

Sloane

Banned
I guess this is the OT?

Anyway, played it for two hours yesterday and had a blast, feels like a game Nintendo could have made 15-20 years ago. The core mechanic is as simple as it looks but there's a lot of variety from level to level and it gets surprisingly difficult at times to reach more than one star.

The thing I love the most though is that you almost instantly start to communicate like you are in an actual kitchen, "I need tomatoes over here!", "Where are the plates?!", and so on. It's so rare for games to achieve this -- the last one I can think of is Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

If you are interested in local multiplayer, this one is a must.

Great game. Gf and I had a really fun time with it. When it actually starts clicking and you're coordinating it gets really good.

Montresor

This game is absolutely fantastic. I played it for about an hour last night with my brother on XB1. The local co-op is so fun! It's crazy running around with your partner trying to organize ingredients, chop vegetables, cook meat, make sure things don't get burned, send food out on time, wash dishes, etc...

I love the music + visuals too. Everything in this game has a relaxing, soothing, and cute vibe to it. From the nice textures and smoke effects on the overworld map to the light-hearted designs of each of the fat playable characters.

I agree with Sloane above. This feels like a Nintendo game.

It feels like a Nintendo game to me too!!

It's such a fun concept and I just love the gameplay loop

Im praying for dlc. Custom co op maps-- selecting time and recipes, etc

Expanding the 3 star system would be great, more modes like endless / a 3 strike system, etc would be so great

I wish they could even expand something like making burgers into adding ketchup, mustard, etc (some kind of directional input mini game, where you can screw up the condiments).

Im surprised at the depth too.

Im also enjoying this game solo, which is a huge surprise for me. Controlling two characters takes a lot of brain power/focus :p

Competitive is fun, but Im really hoping for more co op options/modes. I wish competitive had some modes without needing to control 2 characters

Love this game. Not sure why it's flying under the radar, but Team 17 has two great hits with worms and overcooked

Things really pick up in the second world. She just keeps throwing burgers at me. Chop some damn lettuce!

I started the final stages before the boss. I hope I learn some new recipes, I dont want this to end.

I wonder how many competitive levels there are. The ones Ive unlocked are a lot of fun and creative.

That's one other thing I really love-- the level designs feel totally like a Nintendo game. Very clever, with every level feeling different.

Montresor

It's disheartening to see how little attention this thread is getting. I hope this game sells really well.

Selfishly, I also particularly hope it sells well on XB1 since that's where I play and I'd love more games like this on the system. But a game this good just deserves good sales, especially when it has three audiences to draw from (XB1, PS4, and Steam).

I bet Wii U players would love this game too. Love the game and love the devs.

Top Bottom