• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Review Thread. 4 Player Cooking Game Xbox 1/PS4/PC ~76 OpenCritic

Does this game scale at all? Really tempted to buy as a predominantly 2 player game with my girlfriend (occasionally more when friends are over), but if you really need 4 to complete the campaign's later levels I might skip it?

KodiakGT

Does this game scale at all? Really tempted to buy as a predominantly 2 player game with my girlfriend (occasionally more when friends are over), but if you really need 4 to complete the campaign's later levels I might skip it?

I've played up through world 3-2 so far with my wife and it seems just about right difficulty wise. Sometimes we had to switch controllers to beat a level based on who was cooking/expediting/chopping etc, but they all felt fair.

datwr

I've played up through world 3-2 so far with my wife and it seems just about right difficulty wise. Sometimes we had to switch controllers to beat a level based on who was cooking/expediting/chopping etc, but they all felt fair.

Do you mean having all 4 characters in play, but only using two at the time or something?

Because I watched on youtube 3 people with just 3 characters having quite a hard time with specific levels. The whole thing seems to really be designed around 4 players.

I rarely have 3 other people over (I don't even have 4 controllers, 2 I think is enough though?), so even though I'm interested, I'm still not sure about a purchase.

Rokal

It seems like there is some scaling. Maybe the pace of new orders or something.

I played through 3/4 the game with a friend and it felt very fair, we were able to 3-star every level with some communication and a good plan. I played some earlier levels with him and two others later and had a tougher time.

It seems like there is some scaling. Maybe the pace of new orders or something.

I played through 3/4 the game with a friend and it felt very fair, we were able to 3-star every level with some communication and a good plan. I played some earlier levels with him and two others later and had a tougher time.

Thanks. I think I'll probably pick it up then.

KodiakGT

Do you mean having all 4 characters in play, but only using two at the time or something?

Because I watched on youtube 3 people with just 3 characters having quite a hard time with specific levels. The whole thing seems to really be designed around 4 players.

I rarely have 3 other people over (I don't even have 4 controllers, 2 I think is enough though?), so even though I'm interested, I'm still not sure about a purchase.

Sorry that did sound kind of confusing. No you play with 2 characters, all I was saying is that each of us is better at some things than others so depending on the level we might switch controllers (because one of you is forced to be cooking/dishwashing while the other could be forced to do prepwork and service).

RE the designed around 4 players, based on info provided earlier (28 campaign levels) I'm about half way through, and 2 players hasn't been an issue so far, but maybe that changes in the end game? Maybe some reviews would say.

datwr

There seems to be enough people playing as just 2 players, so probably end up getting this if my friends seems interested when everyone gets home from vacations.

On an other note I hope they release some kind of level editor or the possibility to mod levels in.
That I think would greatly increase the life length of game! Think of the weird and totally hellish designs people would think off!
Way more interesting then the versus levels in my opinion.

And finally, somebody know the amount of different foods?
I have seen all up to the burrito levels, anything else after that?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Lol I read this as tens of others
But yeah unfortunately the server cost and technical know how is prohibitive or so it would seem, there are plenty of games I feel would benefit but just doesn't seem feasible unless there's a cash infusion
Anyway game looks good id like to know how 2 player is if you can't get all 4 people to play

They did say a long time ago that they themselves wouldn't be capable of adding multiplayer, and if it's true that the team that did this is just two people, I can understand.

But boy do I want it to be online.

And yeah, it scales so it's great with 2 players.

Do you think it's possible?

By the way, the publisher is Team 17! You'd think they'd have the experience to support the game with online support.

I wonder if Shareplay will work?

Ill add you to the list ;) I really like how so many reviewers couldnt resist the cooking puns >_>

I'd love to see them have someone help them to add multiplayer, but I wouldn't hold out for that - it's best to buy and enjoy it for its awesome couch co-op.

You dont need more players to win

Im on the final boss-- does anyone know how to win it? The game just loops for me/restarts the boss fight

Im thinking im not fast enough in progressing through the fight

Anyways, these levels have been a total blast. So well designed

Ive enjoyed the competitive, but it feela like its be better at the full 4 players

Im really hoping for more co op modes. Levels are hard to do at first, but get super easy when u figure out a pattern, but I hope they can spice up the existing levels with an endless mode that ramps up in difficulty somehow

Like in arcade games where things get more and more overwhelming

Just_one

Amazing Amazing Co-op Game!!!

Only downfall is that there is only 26 levels...

my wife and i already finish it (trophies included) but damn it was a blast playing with her!!

Thanks Greg Miller for the heads up btw (heard it on the last PS I Love you episode)

HMD

This is so fun with 4 players, but I wish the levels were a tiny bit harder to clear. Don't get me wrong, getting 3 stars is not easy but we were clearing levels on the first try every single time.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Thought there would be more love for this, I think it needs a Rocket League style online mode with the D pad used for communication.

If I keep playing with my wife it's gonna end in divorce.

Tagg9

Thought there would be more love for this, I think it needs a Rocket League style online mode with the D pad used for communication.

If I keep playing with my wife it's gonna end in divorce.

Honestly I don't think online would work unless you have a bunch of people communicating with mics. It works so well as a local co-op game, for the same reason local multiplayer Nintendo games like Mario Party succeed.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Honestly I don't think online would work unless you have a bunch of people communicating with mics. It works so well as a local co-op game, for the same reason local multiplayer Nintendo games like Mario Party succeed.

Maybe but i'd like to try anyway. Even if it was just friends co-op with no randoms i'd take it. I really wanna play with four but I never have 4 people available.

Kremzeek

Wife wants this so bad, I'm just worried how difficult it will be with just two of us playing. Looks hard enough with 4.

I played 2-player co-op, and we were loving it and having lots of fun, but then after 6 levels or so it becomes way too difficult. It made it very not fun- so much so that I don't think we're going to play it anymore unless they reduce the difficulty with 2 players.

Is it the same difficulty as if 4 players are playing? Because if so that's totally not fair to expect 2 people to do the same work as 4....

From my experience, the difficulty is pretty off when it comes to 3 players. 2 players is seriously the easiest to triple star a stage. The point requirements are low, and if you have two reasonably decent gamers it's easily doable. 3 players is ridiculous. The point requirements are much higher and some maps are oddly unbalanced. In some maps, players are locked off from each other, forcing certain players to be in specific roles. But with three players two will be in one zone while the lone person gets overwhelmed. Four players has an even higher point requirement however it's not as extreme a jump from two to three as it is three to four. Plus you never run into the issue of a solo player trying to handle a specific zone on their own since it's split evenly with four players.

Unfortunately in my house hold three players has been the most common occurrence. When we have a fourth it's great, but when playing three we'll often drop somebody to triple star a stage with just two of us. And no our third person doesn't completely suck lol. I definitely feel it's imbalanced.

johnyqd

Im on the final boss-- does anyone know how to win it? The game just loops for me/restarts the boss fight

My wife and I beat all levels playing two player, 3 stars on each level. I agree with the previous poster who talking about switching roles at times - we had to do the same thing.

Regarding the final boss:
you need to finish all the recipes before time runs out or it automatically restarts the level. This can be a real pain in the neck and might be the only level that really requires luck to beat.

I think the amount of levels should have been increased significantly. Each area could have been given some more room to breath. Lots of mechanics are used a single time and then never revisited. We both wanted some opportunities to just get in a rhythm and shine, but the game really wants to focus on disruption. It's a shame because the game has all the mechanics and assets it needs to be great, it just didn't have enough content for us to come back to it.

Ashtar

I've been playing through with my wife up to world 3 now, and we have 1, 1 star performance but still having fun with it 7.5 seems like about the right score for it

linnu5

Can someone recommend any couch coop game like this?

My non-gamer sister loved it. But I can't seem to find any other coop game that doesn't involve fighting or shooting.

Intel_89

Digging this thread to say that there's going to be released a retail version of the game, it's listed at TGC and Amazon.es from the retailers I usually buy stuff from.

Ultimadrago

Does this game have an OT? I just finished completing the campaign with another person in Local Co-Op and we had a blast (between all of the cursing). Really fun title!

Glad to see this is reviewing well, it looked great from early footage. No online coop is a pity in general terms, but doesn't impact me as I was planning to play local with the missus anyway.

Dazza

Overcooked on PS4 is 30% off with PS plus discount at the moment if anyone is looking to pick it up

Oynox

Overcooked on PS4 is 30% off with PS plus discount at the moment if anyone is looking to pick it up

if you have somebody you can play with locally (best friends, significant other...) get it! it is absolutely great!

sn00zer

That Playstation Life review is horseshit if Im being totally honest. Easily the best couch coop Ive ever played and the game aesthetics and gameplay are incredibly solid. Literally every level begins asking how many players are playing. If you reviewed the game playing entirely by yourself, you did it wrong.

I've been looking forever for a PS4 game with couch coop to play with my gf and this game passed completely under my radar.

Greg Miller sold it to me singlehandedly on the PS I love you XOXO podcast. Bought it yesterday and we've been playing it for two nights having a ton of fun!

This game deserves more attention.

if you have somebody you can play with locally (best friends, significant other...) get it! it is absolutely great!

Agreed. I wouldn't recommend it for solo play but cooperation with somebody besides you is both hilarious and entertaining!

RowdyReverb

Does this game have an OT? I just finished completing the campaign with another person in Local Co-Op and we had a blast (between all of the cursing). Really fun title!
No OT that I can find, but I was thinking of making a thread gushing about its couch co-op. Wife and I are at the last level now after getting 3 stars on everything prior. Really fantastic game

My friend said to me that this game is the best and that its his most played PS4 game. I've never heard of this.

going to buy it today

How accessible is this for people who never play video games/suck with a controller?

Also, was it discounted during the holiday says? Did I snooze and lose there?

VICI0US

How accessible is this for people who never play video games/suck with a controller?

Also, was it discounted during the holiday says? Did I snooze and lose there?

it's a pretty simple game.

move, dash, action are pretty much your only button inputs.

not sure about the PS/XB stores but it's still on sale on steam for 33% off. I play it all the time through my steam link and it's a blast with a few friends.

It was on sale multiple times on both PSN/XBOX but right now only Xbox One has the Overcooked Holiday bundle on sale.

Shit. Was that during the 4 week holiday sale on PSN?

Also, is there any reason not to get the Holiday Bundle over the Gourmet Edition? It seems like the Holiday Bundle has everything the GE has, plus a little extra at the same price.

tanuki

This game might be the most overlooked games of 2016.

I've been playing this with my wife and we are completely addicted. One of the very few games where she actually asks to play the game after work. The coop is fantastic.

It's a perfect couple game, anyone who has an opportunity to play with someone should check it out.

This game might be the most overlooked games of 2016.

I've been playing this with my wife and we are completely addicted. One of the very few games where she actually asks to play the game after work. The coop is fantastic.

It's a perfect couple game, anyone who has an opportunity to play with someone should check it out.

Completely agree. Just picked it up this weekend. It absolutely would have made my 2016 top 10. It is probably in my top 5 local coop games of all time.

This game is incredibly good.

Top Bottom