• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 Season 4 Trailer

Spyxos

Gold Member

Blossom onto the battlefield with our newest Support Hero Lifeweaver, progress through the Battle Pass to earn rewards including Mythic Galactic Emperor Sigma, and fight for your faction when The Watchers and The Infinite Empire clash in the Starwatch event! Explore Talantis, the first-ever map made in collaboration with the community. Enjoy major quality-of-life updates with a revamped Competitive experience.

Moochi

The only really positive thing I have to say about Overwatch 2 is that at least the engine is free from the microstutters that plague Fortnite and many other PC games. The frames are smooth as silk. Too bad there's nothing innovative or exciting going on.

YukiOnna

I think Lifeweaver's design is trash. They could have done better there, man... Whatever, I really hope the new ranked match revamps are an improvement over what we have right now, at least decay is gone and seeing some of your progression is back, but OW1's simple SR progression display did not need to be changed.

I saw a new victory pose for D.Va though, nice.

wipeout364

Looks bad, who thought that was a good looking design for a character. I can’t speak to how he plays as it’s hard to tell what’s going on in the trailer. Knowing Blizzard they probably made him so dumb looking to push people to buy skins.

Microsoft needs to get some real Japanese artists to start doing the art for Overwatch instead of what Blizzard are up to with trying to rip off the Manga/Anime aesthetic.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The new character looks horrible and I'm tired of the wokeness in the game.
As others have said I've moved on from OW. It was a great game and to be fair there's still plenty of fun to be had but I'm over it at this point. My main FPS is COD now.

nikos

As much as I love this game, I'm over its bullshit today.

There's nothing natural about having dozens/hundreds of hours on several characters (who all play very differently) across various game modes (in ranks ranging from Silver to Diamond) and having them all right around a 50% win rate. The game is definitely doing something to keep you there, be it matching you with better opponents, giving you low skill teammates, or both.

The only way I can see getting around this is always playing with a full team of people you know, so the variable of getting horrible teammates is eliminated. At that point, the only variable is your opponents.

I've been recording my results and the pattern of winning X games in a row, then losing about the same amount in a row is incredibly obvious and tiring.

I want to get back into it. I was having fun at launch but the battle pass system is ass. Usually I don't mind them because they are rewarding enough to buy the next pass by just playing. I didn't feel Overwatch 2 was rewarding enough. I'm not paying for a Battle Pass all the time. In Rocket League/Fortnite I can buy the pass once and with the amount of time I put into them I level up enough to get the next one.

Maybe it's improved?

YukiOnna

Season 4 has been just as miserable. I had vietnam flashbacks to double shield meta from OW1 seeing Brig's new Rally. Worst part is, her change is going to lead her to back to being massively nerfed, so it's poor. Also, there's absolutely nothing you can do as a Support sometimes no matter how much you heal or manage some kills here and there of opponents when your teammates are bots. The variance is too huge.

Also, they really just won't give us a simple progress bar for competitive tiers. Just a weird percentile of how many players you are higher than. You're still stuck there more or less accepting defeat over you losing your rank when you see 6-7 losses or staying the same after 5 games.

Filben

Apart from nuances it's the same as Overwatch 1 but with a bad battle pass, still industry-typical shit match making and now you're start to shoot flowers or blossoms or whatever it is this new character does instead of projectiles.

I still like the art and many many characters but that carries the game only so far. After roughly 500 hours into OW1 there's simply not enough incentive for me to invest more of time into the same game.

As much as I love this game, I'm over its bullshit today.

There's nothing natural about having dozens/hundreds of hours on several characters (who all play very differently) across various game modes (in ranks ranging from Silver to Diamond) and having them all right around a 50% win rate. The game is definitely doing something to keep you there, be it matching you with better opponents, giving you low skill teammates, or both.

The only way I can see getting around this is always playing with a full team of people you know, so the variable of getting horrible teammates is eliminated. At that point, the only variable is your opponents.

I've been recording my results and the pattern of winning X games in a row, then losing about the same amount in a row is incredibly obvious and tiring.
I've had the same experience. If you're on PC and like older COD games, try Shatterline. Console version will be released later this year. Or wait for XDefiant on console or PC when it releases. Or if you like Halo, try Splitgate on console or PC right now. No SBMM in any of them.

Modern developers with their "retention based matchmaking" have actually turned "no SBMM in casual" into a feature list bullet point for some of these smaller titles.

Last edited:

nikos

I've had the same experience. If you're on PC and like older COD games, try Shatterline. Console version will be released later this year. Or wait for XDefiant on console or PC when it releases. Or if you like Halo, try Splitgate on console or PC right now. No SBMM in any of them.

Modern developers with their "retention based matchmaking" have actually turned "no SBMM in casual" into a feature list bullet point for some of these smaller titles.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've played them all at some point and think I will revisit them now that they're further along in development.

I think I'm also going to try OW2 competitive since I haven't given it a fair chance yet. I'd imagine matchmaking for teammates there is a bit tighter.

I thought this would be the PvE season.

I will wait for Season 5.

Edit: Actually I see what is happening here. Diablo 4’s release would be too close to Overwatch PvE. So it will be their fall/winter highlight instead.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I thought this would be the PvE season.

I will wait for Season 5.

Edit: Actually I see what is happening here. Diablo 4’s release would be too close to Overwatch PvE. So it will be their fall/winter highlight instead.
At the same time they've been really quiet about it so who knows.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

I like lifeweaver, but I'll wait for his buff and controller changes before going back to him, hoping by then he is in ranked.

Just made it to masters dps

Top Bottom