• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
A full charge does 75% of your HP as Pharah and you're slow in the air. She needs two shots to take you out of the air. The websites aren't lying.

I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm a big slow target in midair, so it would make sense that Widowmakers should pick me off without much effort. But like I said, just in my experience, I worry much more about Soldiers and turrets than about Widowmakers. Think a lot of the problem too is that most Widowmakers are happy to just sit in the same sniping point and not move around. So even if they manage to nail me once, the next time I'll be launching shots in their general direction before they can even get their crosshairs on me.

A Widowmaker running away from Winston is a Widowmaker not looking through her scope. Even if another player or two decide to head back to pursue you, if you planned it well you'll be able to survive until you can jetpack back to safety. They you find the Widowmaker again after you let your abilities come back and are healthy. Try again and again until she's dead.

Either the Widowmaker is too pressured to pull off head shots or she dies. Either way she is shut out from being as effective as she could be.

Exactly. If Widowmaker isn't looking down the scope at your teammates like fish in a barrel it's a win.

ExVicis

I just vote for whoever I think did a the best job. Sometimes that's no one, sometimes that's me, sometimes that's another person entirely. Sometimes though I'll vote for someone if they had PotG and I really really liked it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
If I show up, and I'm playing by myself I'll vote for myself. Usually because I'm playing Reinhardt and damage blocked is underrated.

Shockingly, in a GAF group the other night someone got all 10 votes. The other team saw who we voted for and then voted them as well.

I just vote for whoever I think did a the best job. Sometimes that's no one, sometimes that's me, sometimes that's another person entirely. Sometimes though I'll vote for someone if they had PotG and I really really liked it.

Same here. I vote for who I think had the best game. Sometimes I feel like it was me, sometimes I feel like it was someone else. Only time I won't vote for the player with the best game is if they were an asshole.

Baliis

If I show up, and I'm playing by myself I'll vote for myself. Usually because I'm playing Reinhardt and damage blocked is underrated.

Shockingly, in a GAF group the other night someone got all 10 votes. The other team saw who we voted for and then voted them as well.

Happened to us in a match the other night.

We couldn't seem to break their bastion Reinhardt mercy set up and they pity voted for Genji reflect damage lmao.

What does the voting at the end of the round do anyway? I've played for dozens of hours and still don't know.

It's just for fun, no rewards or anything. I think it's tracked as a stat on your profile too though, so there's that.

DrArchon

When one person votes for you and it looks like you selfishly voted for yourself @.@

Hey man, when I get a card I ALWAYS vote for myself unless someone on my team just really dominated the match. I mean, I had to do well enough to get that card and usually its for some support or tank related activity so I'm never the only one.

That's awesome. I've only seen one person get a Legendary, and I don't think he deserved it.

Sometimes as Mercy I'll have what I feel is a terrible game and I'll get a card, and other times I'll do fantastic and not get one.

saskuatch

Hey man, when I get a card I ALWAYS vote for myself unless someone on my team just really dominated the match. I mean, I had to do well enough to get that card and usually its for some support or tank related activity so I'm never the only one.

Does getting votes on cards actually do anything? Like give extra XP?

I still do the thing where if my team was utter shit, I'll vote for the enemy player that fucked us the most (assuming they got a card, which usually yes) and downvote the match itself. I do it partially because the person who shut us down generally does deserve it, but I admit there's a bit of "F U TEAM" behind it as well.

ACE 1991

Solo queuing really sucks. I can only play Lucio or Mercy in 9/10 games, and no one works together. Losing steam pretty quickly, I need to find people to play with.

I like that it does nothing. And I feel like it shouldn't. The cards are fairly random as far as I can tell. I get top damage and elims often without a card to show for it. I'm okay with that. Once it means something, the card system is less fun and more... potential for salt.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I don't think damage blocked is underrated, but I do think that it's not always a relevant stat. I mean, you can just stand out in the open, put your shield up and block damage, right? I think it's hard for numbers to capture what a good Rein does.

I'm really liking the random pick brawl mode this week. Played with 2 other friends and we ended up winning all our matches all night, some being really close. It's actually nice not to see the same few heroes in every match. Will probably keep playing this mode the rest of the week.

I like that it does nothing. And I feel like it shouldn't. The cards are fairly random as far as I can tell. I get top damage and elims often without a card to show for it. I'm okay with that. Once it means something, the card system is less fun and more... potential for salt.

Yeah I think everyone tends to be the best at something so it really could put anyone up there but you are more likely to get on there if you do something very impressive, so if you get a 20 or so killstreak then it always puts that up there.

I still do the thing where if my team was utter shit, I'll vote for the enemy player that fucked us the most (assuming they got a card, which usually yes) and downvote the match itself. I do it partially because the person who shut us down generally does deserve it, but I admit there's a bit of "F U TEAM" behind it as well.

Yeah, if my team sucks, I'll usually vote for the enemy healer rather than give any of my team the satisfaction of an upvote.

I've always wondered: I know the voting for individual players is nothing but for bragging rights, but does the rating you give the match itself mean anything? I used to do it a little at the start for especially good or especially bad matches, but now I don't even bother because there doesn't appear to be any tangible effects.

Ketch

My favorite card is the McCree fan the hammer card, like LOL you're proud of that? It's like being proud of your bumper bowling score.

As for overall match rating I always go 2 stars unless it was an extremely close most epic game ever or if there was a troll or major shit talker.

cr0w

Old Member
I play solo and don't find it too bad at all. Sure there are occasional rough games, but I find I'm fairly evenly on both sides of that. The only thing I find is that there will times when for example you don't want to play the healer again and nobody else does of course and you just have to roll with it and play what you want.

I suppose. I may have just been in a shit mood last night and it was only amplified by the horrendous match against the 6 Tracers. I couldn't stay alive for more than 30 seconds at a time.

I try to main Reinhardt, but it's hard to tank effectively when everyone else is running around on their own.

SuperPac

I agree. It's more about a chance to give a player in the game a pat on the back. I regularly give it to someone on the enemy team if they gave me a particularly hard time. I like that it's all in good fun and isn't a system that can be gamed. It's for good feels all 'round.

DrArchon

My favorite card is the McCree fan the hammer card, like LOL you're proud of that? It's like being proud of your bumper bowling score.

Yeah, that and "Souls Collected" for Reaper, which is just "Number of dead bodies you ran into while not at full health". I get that it must be hard to come up for unique and interesting post-game cards for every character, but some really don't seem like they're worthy of praising.

jacobs34

I don't understand how people can't figure out to get behind me when I play Reinhardt to take out turrets. Losing a match on Anubis because no one wants to get behind me and shoot down the turrets is crazy infuriating. I know we are still early in the game but I would think this would be an easy concept.

matmanx1

I'm not a Bastion player. Yesterday, I had the chance to play with him. 21-0. Play of the game. I unlocked his two achievements and the 20 killstreak one in the same game.

If you use it as a moving turret, instead of waiting in the same place all the round, the character is fun. The enemies didn't expect being attacked by a Bastion with assault rifle.

I agree with this. Bastion is actually very similar to Solider 76 in his recon form, just without the rockets and with a heal that has no cool down. In that regard, he's a little bit more tanky. If you aren't using his recon form at least some of the time to re-position and harass the enemy team then you aren't using Bastion to his full potential.

It seems like every time I play, Support characters barely gets any votes. Unless they get a POTG.

I dunno, I seem to get a lot of love as Mercy. People remember when they were on the brink of death and Mercy comes swooping in to save their ass. Do that to enough people in a game and they'll vote for you.

DrArchon

I don't understand how people can't figure out to get behind me when I play Reinhardt to take out turrets. Losing a match on Anubis because no one wants to get behind me and shoot down the turrets is crazy infuriating. I know we are still early in the game but I would think this would be an easy concept.

It's astounding how many people seem to ignore the big fuck-off Reinhardt shield that's right there in front of them. So many people just run through it and die or sit behind it doing nothing while you inch forward until it breaks.

It's the worst with Bastions because they shred the shield so fast that every second counts, but no one seems to get that they can fire through it to force the Bastion to move.

ExVicis

What does the voting at the end of the round do anyway? I've played for dozens of hours and still don't know.

Makes whoever had the most votes at the end feel good.

Same here. I vote for who I think had the best game. Sometimes I feel like it was me, sometimes I feel like it was someone else. Only time I won't vote for the player with the best game is if they were an asshole.
Oh yeah, if there's an abusive player yelling at everyone and he's on the commend screen I just don't even bother voting for him. He already has enough problems, not going to make a bigger ego one of them.

I don't think damage blocked is underrated, but I do think that it's not always a relevant stat. I mean, you can just stand out in the open, put your shield up and block damage, right? I think it's hard for numbers to capture what a good Rein does.

It would be super neat if the game could keep track of how much allied damage went through the shield--that is, how much damage was done by people using your shield as cover? That might be more relevant, since that stat basically describes one of Reinhardt's jobs.

Yeah, that and "Souls Collected" for Reaper, which is just "Number of dead bodies you ran into while not at full health". I get that it must be hard to come up for unique and interesting post-game cards for every character, but some really don't seem like they're worthy of praising.

I kind of don't like the character-specific cards because even though they're not actually intended to be compared against other people playing the same character, there's still that feel to it. So if you're a McCree earning a fan the hammer card, but you were the only McCree on both teams, it's a bit like "well duh." Or if you were the only healer on the team and you got a card for healing. No shit Sherlock, I should hope you get a card for it. It's actually a bad sign if I DON'T earn a card for healing as a Mercy or Lucio.

6 Eliminations

6 Fan the Hammer Kills

I've mentioned this before, but it's blatantly obvious when playing as Pharah which McCree players actually know how to use their guns, and which ones only know how to flashbang-fan the hammer. The latter are the ones scurrying for cover as I casually hover above them launching flaming death down on their stupid little hats.

Nugg

I always vote for myself and if I can't, I downvote the whole game.

Actually I vote objective time or objective kills. Or support. They need more love.

It seems like every time I play, Support characters barely gets any votes. Unless they get a POTG.

I usually play support and get lots of votes. Lucio doesn't quite as much but then I guess his support isn't quite as 'obvious' as Mercy (healing beam that makes screen glow), Zenyatta (healing orb that makes screen glow) or Symmetra (constant 'you have been given 25 shield' messages and teleporter).

kromeo

Being forced to use roadhog in brawl I see why I get hooked so much, you don't even have to be slightly accurate with it...

I think I'm around level 11 now, been mostly playing games vs. AI to get a feel for the different heroes on PS4.

Went online last night and joined a pub game, immediately was matched against a team of 6 Tracers. It was all downhill from there.

I feel like actually playing this game against others unless I have a full group is a losing fucking battle. It's too bad because I really like it, but damn is it rough if you have to run with pubs.

Like others have said this doesn't happen very often, but when it does to me it feels like a fun change of pace. For me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom