• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch World Cup 2017 Thread: Kimchi vs Baguettes [Group Stages]

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff Kaplan said(on reddit) that him and his team think Dive comp is fine as one of the main comps that exist in the game. However, what if that is all we see during this event? Would it still be fine if this world cup turns into a series of mirror matches?

I remember last EVO when the SFV top bracket was full of Charlie and Chun Li mirror match players and people got bored of it, so some people started cheering on the R. Mika player just because it was something different.

I just hope we get to see that 'something different' this Overwatch tournament or else I might not tune in as much this year, which is unfortunate because I really enjoy watching tourneys of this game, but I am just tired of seeing this comp.

it was mostly mirror matches in regards to healers/tanks at the last overwatch world cup. with mostly DPS variation. Only teams that really did something "unique" from what I remember were USA and S.K.

with that said, theres been a little diversity in today's matches....couple triple dps comps. as oppossed to just normal dive comp.....Denmark went Old school Bastion Rein Comp for a second. lol. (sombra made that irrelevant)

I remember how hyped the crowd became last year when (I believe it was denmark) pulled out the surprise Bastion play on Nepal. I'm alright with healers and tanks because they are a necessary quantity in a high profile match. Like you said, at least last year there was some variation in dps, as that is something. Also, even though there was a tank and healer in every team, some of them were varied from Zarya to Winston to Dva instead of just all Rein. I'm just hoping next year isn't as stale as this year's cup has seemed so far.

I really feel like the Overwatch team is looking at this tournament with full intent to break up dive comp somehow in the future, because if I were in their shoes I'd realize how stale this makes the game look to the public. As far as newcomers and new watchers go, there are only 6-9 characters who are in this game and the rest don't exist, in a 25 character roster.

I remember how hyped the crowd became last year when (I believe it was denmark) pulled out the surprise Bastion play on Nepal. I'm alright with healers and tanks because they are a necessary quantity in a high profile match. Like you said, at least last year there was some variation in dps, as that is something. Also, even though there was a tank and healer in every team, some of them were varied from Zarya to Winston to Dva instead of just all Rein. I'm just hoping next year isn't as stale as this year's cup has seemed so far.

I really feel like the Overwatch team is looking at this tournament with full intent to break up dive comp somehow in the future, because if I were in their shoes I'd realize how stale this makes the game look to the public. As far as newcomers and new watchers go, there are only 6-9 characters who are in this game and the rest don't exist, in a 25 character roster.

only one going WInston was Miro last year from what I remember. I don't recall seeing alot of Dva. I remember Roadhog more than Dva....Zarya was 100% pickrate tho. Mostly Rein Zarya about 90% of the time except for Miro on Winston.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
only one going WInston was Miro last year from what I remember. I don't recall seeing alot of Dva. I remember Roadhog more than Dva....Zarya was 100% pickrate tho. Mostly Rein Zarya about 90% of the time except for Miro on Winston.

I understand what you're trying to say but those alternate picks still count(and just because they weren't picked as often as rein doesn't invalidate them), especially since one of the biggest contenders used Winston, which back then was essentially going against the grain.

Edit: My main point is that this year the little variation there was, has become worse, if even the DPS are locked to the usual Tracer/Soldier/Genji.

I said this in last year's thread because I was upset about it and I still don't like it this year... when your team is running the same comp as the other team and your ass is being handed to you, maybe you should mix up your picks. I understand these guys have trained for months under their characters but if the writing is on the wall I'd start making some odd picks: Sombra, Zarya, Reaper, Orisa, McCree, Bastion, Hanzo, Widow, etc to throw the team off and possibly get an advantage. Dive is not invincible and it can be manageable with things other than Dive. Too many teams being followers and chasing that meta instead of creating their own odd secondary niche team that works.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The koreans seem to believe doomfist is meant to counter dive, so we'll see.

I understand what you're trying to say but those alternate picks still count(and just because they weren't picked as often as rein doesn't invalidate them), especially since one of the biggest contenders used Winston, which back then was essentially going against the grain.

Edit: My main point is that this year the little variation there was, has become worse, if even the DPS are locked to the usual Tracer/Soldier/Genji.

I said this in last year's thread because I was upset about it and I still don't like it this year... when your team is running the same comp as the other team and your ass is being handed to you, maybe you should mix up your picks. I understand these guys have trained for months under their characters but if the writing is on the wall I'd start making some odd picks: Sombra, Zarya, Reaper, Orisa, McCree, Bastion, Hanzo, Widow, etc to throw the team off and possibly get an advantage. Dive is not invincible and it can be manageable with things other than Dive. Too many teams being followers and chasing that meta instead of creating their own odd secondary niche team that works.

eh, it's Blizzard's balancing. Roadhog use to help Counter Dive. Sometimes you could pick Roadhog to counter Winston/Dva, etc. Not anymore. this discussion has been hashed out already in the official Overwatch thread tho.. Doomfist will prob change the meta up.

We've seen some variety in DPS in the current meta. We've seen Sombra, tracer, soldier, genji, pharah, and mcree played at high level in the DPS pool. With the newest patch, I think we will see more Reaper. The last Apex quarter and semi finals was not working off the newest patch.

Tracer is 100% tho, primarily because I think Tracer atm is the Strongest. I have a feeling blizz might nerf her.

This koth match is why pros dont play Zarya against dive.

Apart from a quick bubble higher level coordinated teams just wont let you survive or let you build enough energy or just do enough damage to get a graviton up

Blues1990

What did you expect, they're in China lol

I know, but it's still hilarious.

EDIT: Norway has a good chance to take the point. Love how they were prepared for China's Widowmaker's shenanigans.

Nevermind. Norway is boned, and China is invincible. AS USUAL!

Also i added a tournament highlights section to the op. I dunno how much ill add since i cant watch everygame im mostly going off r/cow

Mickie carry

<edit> nope....Oputo carry lol.

Im glad Thailand is making this competitive. I thought this was going to be a snowball map for them. It would be cool to see Thailand Upset Frogue.

LMFAO....what is going on RIGHT now...

1Envyus > 6 Frogue is real life.

also, the "Pannys" name is hilarious cause of how it sounds. "Pannys falls" Kinda like Conbox spirit when the announcers made it sound like Cumbox Spirit.

TrueBlue

Is anyone elses stream constantly repeating things that happened a couple of seconds previously? And then randomly jumping ahead?

It's really annoying, and particularly noticeable with the commentary.

Angel_DvA

What the fuck is France doing...

Horizon is such a bad map, it looks like Eichenwald is the only great map Blizzard come with...

What the fuck is France doing...

Horizon is such a bad map, it looks like Eichenwald is the only great map Blizzard come with...

its not really bad, just very offensive friendly. people hate 2 cp maps that are very defensive friendly which is why this map was designed the way it was I think.

Angel_DvA

its not really bad, just very offensive friendly. people hate 2 cp maps that are very defensive friendly which is why this map was designed the way it was I think.

the problem is the first point is too easy to take and the second point is too difficult...

Looks like France wake the fuck up too.

kami_sama

How the hell do you disconnect from a LAN tournament lol.

Get it together blizz.

Looks like it ended on the otherside of the bridge but the angles hide it.

I didn't word that well. More like "What the fuck did happen with the bomb?".
We can see it stick to AKM at first, and then it appears on the bridge.

Antiwhippy

No that's pure bullshit. The DC forced their ana to have to reset and walk back from spawn just when the engage is about to happen.

Angel_DvA

No that's pure bullshit. The DC forced their ana to have to reset and walk back from spawn just when the engage is about to happen.

Bro it would have been the same if it was in the opposite team, I know people loves underdog story and everyone wants to see Frogue lose but it's not happening today.

edit: AKM said the team wasn't happy with their performance and promise to play better in the next games

edb9a37b2856201e4354ca5de1439cf2.png

Why is everyone picking Horizon?

New map means less people have practiced on it so more chances of winning.

People are seeing it as kind of the upset map cause the only other 2cp map in the pool is Volskaya and teams especially those like rogue and Sweden are more practiced on it.

Minamu

I'm pretty new to ow so what's wrong with muselk? I found him randomly on youtube and most videos are a lot of fun to watch. He was mentioned in OP but I don't get the context.

Antiwhippy

He's fine, he's just going to be slaughtered by the players in this tournament who are much better than him.

Top Bottom