• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario 2, Donkey Konga, and Metroid Prime 2 NA boxarts

DMczaf

These deserve their own thread! Paper Mario!

220446b.jpg
220431b.jpg
220432b.jpg

I'm hoping the Echoes box is a place holder because it's incredibly bland. Then again, the original game didn't have amazing boxart either.

I like the Paper Mario 2 one... the Donkey Konga one would be sufficient if I didn't know how much better the Japanese art was heh.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
MP2 art is almost SURELY a placeholder. I'll eat my hat if the final art doesn't play up the duality featured in the game. Half black, half white background, or something.

Socreges

Banned
DK Jungle Beat looks like so much fun. But I don't think I want to buy Donkey Konga. Can I get the drums independently?

Socreges said:
DK Jungle Beat looks like so much fun. But I don't think I want to buy Donkey Konga. Can I get the drums independently?

Yeah, considering that the Donkey Konga is multiplayer. They can't expect you to go out and buy four copies of the game heh.

I think it was said somewhere that it was $50 for the game and a konga or $30 for each konga on its own. I could be mistaken.

The Paper Mario 2 box is awesome. And if that Metroid box has is real, it looks like that new Rainbow Six box is going to have a little company.

the dk one can't be final. it looks too bland and empty right under the word konga. surely they will but a starburst bubble there promoting the use of congas.

Meier

Oh please SSX, it's not on that level. It's just very bland.. whereas the Rainbow Six one is eye-poppingly ugly. I doubt it'll be the final version though.. it's too much of a departure from the previous box art. The Paper Mario 2 box looks great.

I'm still pissed at the Konga change. :*(

Doogdogg

The Japanese Metroid Prime box was pretty sweet. The guys at NCL always do much jobs than the NOA guys at box arts.

Meier said:
Oh please SSX, it's not on that level. It's just very bland.. whereas the Rainbow Six one is eye-poppingly ugly. (

It's bad because it looks cheap. It looks very much like you'd see with a budget game where they just throw a piece of art over blank backgrounds with the games logo and that's it.

Alcibiades

I like the Echoes box the way it is...

any change and they could end up going Banjo-Kazooie and doing TOO MUCH...

better simple and easy for the customer to find than getting too fancy...

Simplicity is one thing. Blandness and ineffective use of negative space is another. I don't think the MP2 art is really a good box from just a pure design perspective. I agree that it'd make sense to have the box show some sort of light vs. dark dynamic like the game itself. Adding some style to it doesn't necessarily have to take everything over to the point that it's an overwhelming mess of images.

The PM2 and DK box arts are pure sex.

For the MP2E box art... they should have a close up with Samus's visor and Evil Samus reflected in it. That would reflect the echo bit and make it more intense.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
That MP2 boxart is really bad. They've just taken two images from Nintendo's media page and pasted one on top of the other :/

edit: Oh yeah, and this really is sex in boxart form.

220431b.jpg

Rhindle

Scrow said:
That MP2 boxart is really bad. They've just taken two images from Nintendo's media page and pasted one on top of the other :/
That's true of the DK boxart as well. These are probably all placeholders.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Rhindle said:
That's true of the DK boxart as well. These are probably all placeholders.
Well at least for the DK boxart they've added a beach in the background and shadows for DK and Diddy.

I wish Nintendo would put a little more effort into its box art. The 1080 Japanese boxart is a prime example of how it should be done in the states. Stylish and functional. Those are just...blah. Metroid (while obviously not final) should really jump out and grab you. And Konga is a joke. I much prefer the J-box art and logo.

CrisKre

That is not the final MP2 boxart. At E3 in nintendo's merchandising area they had what they told us was the final boxart and it was much cooler, simple but really well done. That is tough the PM2 box and BTW the Starfox box displayed there was amazing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Donkey Konga box is TERRIBLE, and there is no way that is the final Metroid Prime 2 box. It's not that it's "bad" per se, but it's just got placeholder written all over it.

Paper Mario 2, however, looks delightful as always.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
CrisKre said:
That is not the final MP2 boxart. At E3 in nintendo's merchandising area they had what they told us was the final boxart and it was much cooler, simple but really well done. That is tough the PM2 box and BTW the Starfox box displayed there was amazing.

And you didnt take pics?

Firest0rm

Scrow said:

edit: Oh yeah, and this really is sex in boxart form.

220431b.jpg

Yes sex... look at what toad's doing to peach.

ge-man

It would be so easy to make a better box for MP2. They got some damn good artists at Retro--why aren't they using some their concept art.

Paper Mario is excellent, no complaints there.

CrisKre

I wonder how a pic taken with my digital camara from my tv would look like...

If I remember tonight Ill get to it.

FoneBone

Paper Mario 2 box looks awesome.

Donkey Konga: Terrible. If they kept the JP logo and just had that against a plain background, it would look fine.

MP2 art will look OK, if they put an actual background on there.

Kudie

The PM2 boxart is awesome.

BTW, what is the difference between Donkey Konga and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Kudie said:
The PM2 boxart is awesome.

BTW, what is the difference between Donkey Konga and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat?
Donkey Konga is a rhythm game based on Namco's Tiako drum game.
Jungle Beat is a platform game that uses the same congas.

Kudie

JJConrad said:
Donkey Konga is a rhythm game based on Namco's Tiako drum game.
Jungle Beat is a platform game that uses the same congas.

Thanks JJConrad. I was looking forward to the Drum game by Namco and am glad that Nintendo is deciding to make more use of the drum peripheral by releasing another game which uses them.

Top Bottom