• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount Is Scaling Back On Blockbusters To Focus On Streaming

TIMSTER_777

Yeah, the ole' "good, I hate theaters" basement dwellers are going to love it when these services start cracking down on password sharing and the like. Hope you like spending money every month on shitty ass action movies, regardless of whether or not you watch them.

With this and moving back the dates on their theatrical movies, yeah fuck em. I aint paying for their shitty service. I can live without their theater releases, too.

Who said anything about spending money?

waWyKoA.png

sol_bad

Despite what is perceived as a severe pivot for the studio under ViacomCBS from motion picture to streaming, we heard earlier this week that Paramount will remain on course with theatrical releases in the future; just not as many; and believe it or not, they’ll respect a window.

Susurrus

Theaters don't exist for anything but superhero movies now anyway.

Was going to disagree with you, but then realized I'm part of the problem and only go to the Marvel flicks in theaters anymore.

Well, we did go see Demon Slayer, so that's something.

Then again, COVID has been a tough time for that so hard to say if it'd have been different otherwise.

Honestly, I stopped going to theaters as much once I had kids. Getting a babysitter every time to go to a movie is not pleasant. We've done it, but it isn't common. I did want to take my son to see the Paw Patrol movie as his first theater experience, but decided not to as he can't be vaccinated due to his age, and I don't trust the potential cesspool of kids going to the theater to wear their masks, as they certainly don't anywhere else. It boggles my mind they didn't wait until kids could get vaccinated before releasing it in theaters, I totally would have taken him. Ended up getting a couple months of Paramount+ w/ a bunch of discounts for significantly cheaper than a single movie ticket, much less one for each of us so he could watch it all he wants (he certainly has...) and I'll probably just get the Bluray/Digital combo when it comes out and cancel my Paramount+.

Cyberpunkd

Honestly, I stopped going to theaters as much once I had kids. Getting a babysitter every time to go to a movie is not pleasant.
So much this. Movie is 2h30, 30 minutes for ads, go there and back 30 minutes assuming perfect timing = 3h30 and that’s rushing it, fuck this.

TonyK

More shitty movies with pointless dialogs and TV show pacing to cheaply fill the movie, like Netflix.

Instead of doing a good but cheap movie, they try to do what would have being an expensive movie, in the cheapest way possible.

oagboghi2

Oh sure, you're right. They need to keep that vault full of unspent scrooge mcduck money they have no intention of spending.

Says a person who has a 5th grader's understanding of how corporations work.

But, honestly, I don't care any more. The theaters let the government steamroll over them with their bullshit COVID regulations and then they just let the movie studios walk away with all their profits without putting up a fight. So, fuck all of em. But, above fuck pirates. Still have to be a lowlife cheapskate piece of shit that thinks they have the moral high ground by not paying for shit normal people don't seem to mind paying for.
Who said anything about Scrooge McDuck?

And I'm sorry, but anyone who says something as retarded as this

Screw the ripple effect it would have in funding future movies!
should not be mentioning anyone's intelligence. None of these studios are in a financial position where they have to cut budgets

These companies were making record profits before covid, and they will soon be making insane profits again. Don't bother with this "woe is hollywood" crap.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Who said anything about Scrooge McDuck?

And I'm sorry, but anyone who says something as retarded as this

should not be mentioning anyone's intelligence. None of these studios are in a financial position where they have to cut budgets

These companies were making record profits before covid, and they will soon be making insane profits again. Don't bother with this "woe is hollywood" crap.

Yeah so insane profits are evil therefore give me stuff for free now. Right? Is that how it works?

The vast majority of movies in streaming services are hot garbage. I’d rather the theaters make their obscene profits so they can deliver the quality movies that at least I look forward to.

But, hey, you know, fuck you for calling me unintelligent.

sol_bad

Yeah so insane profits are evil therefore give me stuff for free now. Right? Is that how it works?

The vast majority of movies in streaming services are hot garbage. I’d rather the theaters make their obscene profits so they can deliver the quality movies that at least I look forward to.

I don't think O oagboghi2 understands how businesses work, he thinks everything should be free. Anyone that hates the MCU for example, most likely has themselves to blame as they generally don't go to the cinemas and support new ideas. Theatrical movies that don't make good theatrical box office don't get sequels and studios are hesitant to spend similar money on similar films if the risk of losing money is high.

Why do these people think westerns basically died and there are barely any comedies anymore? Most comedies are released on streaming platforms and are generally crappies as there is lesser talent attached.

Why do they think Hollywood is so reliant on sequels, remakes and reboots? They are certainly not out of ideas, thats for sure. Most studios probably get 50 or so scripts a month with fresh new ideas, they just don't get greenlighted as the risk is too high.

oagboghi2

I don't think O oagboghi2 understands how businesses work, he thinks everything should be free. Anyone that hates the MCU for example, most likely has themselves to blame as they generally don't go to the cinemas and support new ideas. Theatrical movies that don't make good theatrical box office don't get sequels and studios are hesitant to spend similar money on similar films if the risk of losing money is high.

Why do these people think westerns basically died and there are barely any comedies anymore? Most comedies are released on streaming platforms and are generally crappies as there is lesser talent attached.

Why do they think Hollywood is so reliant on sequels, remakes and reboots? They are certainly not out of ideas, thats for sure. Most studios probably get 50 or so scripts a month with fresh new ideas, they just don't get greenlighted as the risk is too high.
As usual sol_bad sol_bad invents a strawman because he is too stupid to understand anything anyone says. When did I say "everything should be free" you corporate sycophant? Please, quote me in this thread.

Who said anything about profits being evil? Are you and sol_bad sol_bad lacking the ability to read, so you just make up shit?

Top Bottom