• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Hilton on the PSP

ManaByte

B0009KQOB0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also,
B0009KQOP6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
serious question, anyone have the total number for psp movies and games? released and announced. it seems like there's more movies than games...

mj1108

Wario64 said:
serious question, anyone have the total number for psp movies and games? released and announced. it seems like there's more movies than games...

I was just going to say.... It seems like retailers are stocking more movies than games nowadays.

ManaByte

Wario64 said:

Amazon lists 98 total UMD video discs.

Rhindle

Wario64 said:
it seems like there's more movies than games...
duh ... PSP's success will ultimately be driven more as a movie playback device than a game machine ... I will be proven correct, in time.

MetalAlien

Banned
I'm a sony whore and I just don't get the whole UMD thing... I can't bring myself to get excited about buying movies that can only be played on my PSP.

mj1108

Here's a list of movies that is out now (taken from Amazon & EB's lists):

Are We There Yet?
Boogeyman
Charlie's Angels
Hellboy
Hero
Hollow Man
House of Flying Dragons
Kill Bill Vol. 1
National Lampoon's Van Wilder
National Treasure
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Open Water
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Punisher
Reign of Fire
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Saw
Terminator 2
XXX

Any that are missing?

Jonnyram

Rhindle said:
duh ... PSP's success will ultimately be driven more as a movie playback device than a game machine ... I will be proven correct, in time.
And people will once again deny this in 5 years' time. "People never bought the PS2 for DVD playback, no, never!"

Flynn

demi said:
Need to put Shaun on PSP, I'd buy it

the movie, that is

Your devotion to Shaun of the Dead makes me feel snuggly and warm.

I just feel safer knowing that Demi is on duty.

/salute

EDIT:

Jonnyram said:
And people will once again deny this in 5 years' time. "People never bought the PS2 for DVD playback, no, never!"

Wrong. In five years time they'll say, "People never bought the PSP to play games."

Ceb

Jonnyram said:

I think what's always been debated is how many people bought a PS2 primarily for its DVD-playing capabilities.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
AB 101 said:
Well, at least there is something to do between game releases unlike with that dual screen thing.

Yeah, because DS owners can't just watch those same movies on a nice TV like intended...

Vince

Banned
ruby_onix said:
I'd like UMD a lot better if it was "mini-Blu-ray".

I'm hestitent to post, but something tells me that it is? I really don't know and could be very wrong... Does anyone know what format UMD is based off of? I vaguely remember a comment concerning it at E3 2003, but that was so long ago :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Vince, it's just red-laser optical media, I think. Should be higher capacity if it were blue laser based.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DarienA said:
I need Kung Pow on UMD... STAT!

Just put it on a memory stick like I did. :) Kung-Pow also has a permanent home on the SD card in my phone.

I don't know though...I'd rather just go spend another $100 for a second 1gb memory stick duo instead of buying 5 movies myself.

evil ways

Lyte Edge said:
Just put it on a memory stick like I did. :) Kung-Pow also has a permanent home on the SD card in my phone.

I don't know though...I'd rather just go spend another $100 for a second 1gb memory stick duo instead of buying 5 movies myself.

Same here, I have about 7 DVDs from my own collection ripped into my hard drive and formatted for the PSP. All I do is delete & save a new one to my memory stick from time to time.

aparisi2274

Doest anyone think its a little dissapointing to see more UMD movie on the PSP than actual games? I mean wasnt this the evolution of the handheld "GAME" machine? Now all it seems like is that its a mini movie player, which is dumb, who wants to watch Ghostbusters on a 3" screen... I think that if the movies were priced more like a DVD (ie. sales during first week, $12.99 or something) then I can tolerate purchasing movies for it...

I am really disappointed with the system...SO FAR!!

Come on Sony, give me some games.... :)

aparisi2274 said:
Doest anyone think its a little dissapointing to see more UMD movie on the PSP than actual games? I mean wasnt this the evolution of the handheld "GAME" machine? Now all it seems like is that its a mini movie player, which is dumb, who wants to watch Ghostbusters on a 3" screen... I think that if the movies were priced more like a DVD (ie. sales during first week, $12.99 or something) then I can tolerate purchasing movies for it...

I agree... I am going to buy a new handheld and right now it looks like the DS is my machine. Watching movies, specifically old ones, on my PSP makes no sense to me. What if I already have the movie on DVD, why would I buy it twice? Does a portable version of Labyrinth really need to find a place in my life? Furthermore, the games that are coming out are all very PS2ish. They are either direct ports or based on PS2/XBOX games that once again, I can play at home.

This is dissapointing, at least from my perspective, because I was initially very excited about the PSP, much more so than the DS. But as the line up of future games gets bigger, the amount of interesting, innovative, and exclusive content becomes more dissapointing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's an odd situation but, as dark10x pointed out earlier, it was an inevitable one if movie studios opted to come out with strong support for the UMD Video format, as they are. They don't have to spend a year or more coding a movie to work on the PSP and consumers are much more forgiving of movie studios constantly dipping into their back-catalog for product to quickly bring to market.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
aparisi2274 said:

Well, I don't think Sony are saying "hey game developers, stop making PSP games because we're gonna release a bunch of UMD movies now!". Games are still being made, I don't think UMD movies are affecting game development or sales much.
Actually, what's the tie ratio for PSP anyway? For games, I mean. ;)

Deku

Banned
The thing with the PS2 was that Sony successfully tapped into the DVD market. It had to do very little work, the movie studios were promoting their DVDs themselves and PS2 was well positioned to cash in.

With the PSP, Sony is supporting and pushing a new format, the pricing sucks, and the analogies don't work.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
LittleTokyo said:
Furthermore, the games that are coming out are all very PS2ish. They are either direct ports or based on PS2/XBOX games that once again, I can play at home.

You should expect to see "pS2ish" games on PSP, but there's also original stuff coming out like Coded Arms, Tenshi No Mon, and Pursuit Force. Games like Tenchu may be using the same engine from the PS2 versions, but it's still a new game and even has a level editor (that really should have been in WoH or Fatal Shadows. For shame K2!) that you can use to trade levels with other PSP users.

This is dissapointing, at least from my perspective, because I was initially very excited about the PSP, much more so than the DS. But as the line up of future games gets bigger, the amount of interesting, innovative, and exclusive content becomes more dissapointing.

Give it some time. I know, I know, "E3 was TEH DISSAPPOINTIN!!111" for PSP in most people's eyes, but there's still plenty of games coming out. Last time Jarrod posted a list of games out and in development, it was over 200 in number. This is a pretty dry period for new releases; summer usually is, and this also happens to be the game drought for the PSP (and DS for the most part) that will see a lot of new releases come fall. This happens with virtually every system that gets released: Launch games, then a few games here and there for months on end until the holiday season starts that first year. Happens every time, and everyone always seems to forget how it was when a new system is released. :)

Both handhelds are pretty slim on games right now; if you really want something with a large library to choose from, GBA is still the way to go.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm glad I'm not a betting man, I certainly never expected UMD movie releases would be so plentiful, and that interest would wane pretty quickly.

Deku

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Give it some time. I know, I know, "E3 was TEH DISSAPPOINTIN!!111" for PSP in most people's eyes, but there's still plenty of games coming out.

Both handhelds are pretty slim on games right now; if you really want something with a large library to choose from, GBA is still the way to go.

The DS is backwards compatible so...

Agent X

kaching said:
It's an odd situation but, as dark10x pointed out earlier, it was an inevitable one if movie studios opted to come out with strong support for the UMD Video format, as they are. They don't have to spend a year or more coding a movie to work on the PSP and consumers are much more forgiving of movie studios constantly dipping into their back-catalog for product to quickly bring to market.

I agree here. In fact, I consider it a good thing that so many UMD movies are being produced in such a short span of time. It's evidently very easy for studios to release their movies on UMD, and it looks like there's at least some portion of the market that appreciates the efforts. Besides, the availability of UMD movies isn't hurting game development at all.

I'd bet that if there was a lot less support for movies on UMD, the Sony detractors here would be licking their chops and boasting about how the format is a certain flop. But, it's obvious that the UMD format is gaining a lot of acceptance, and that's really making these people squirm knowing that it's exceeding most people's expectations.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys, I don't mean to come off as a troll, but I've been meaning to ask you this ever since the PSP came out....

In all honesty, how can you guys find satisfaction in watching movies on such a small screen? I mean, isn't that kind of ambiguous? The damn thing has a screen size of 4.3 inches! 4.3!!! I'm sorry but that's way too tiny to extract visual enjoyment out of a film, especially an action movie like Spiderman 2.

My laptop has a screensize of 17 inches. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and games look wonderful on it. But make no mistake I don't think I'll ever succumb to watching feature films on it like Spiderman 2, The Matrix, Star Wars, etc.... Those are the kind of movies that deserve to be watched on a big screen TV or front projector. Hell.....as crazy as this sounds, I've owned my 65" widescereen rear projection CRT TV for 5 years now, and even that's too small for me. I need at least 100" to watch a good action movie.

So that being said, why watch movies on a PSP when you can enjoy them on a much bigger screen at home? A screen that tiny should only be used to play games or watch something with little to action or suspence like say, The Chappelle Show or some other TV series.

Top Bottom