• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming in the 90's - Retro Hardware & Software Analysis | Living in the Past

Kazza

Watching this video, it's hard not to get the impression that PC gaming has gotten much, much better relative to console gaming since the 90s. Back then, consoles really were trading blows with PCs (and other home computers) in terms of power, PC games really were a hassle to get running correctly (with all the different standards and graphics cards etc) and consoles really did have more unique gaming experiences not available elsewhere.

I had a Voodoo card myself, and don't remember it ever giving me too much trouble, but then my PC gaming revolved around strategy and adventure games at that time (action games were played on my console), so maybe others had less fortunate experiences. It was that damn Sounderblaster card which I remember giving me endless grief!

The 90s was a very influential time and I think a lot of the misgivings people have about PC gaming date back to that period. Both consoles and PC are in a completely different situation now.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I remember installing a Voodoo card into my Gateway computer - as I recall, that was a huge leap over console visuals at the time. I also remember the sheer volume of RTS games that were released back then - it seems like there was one or two released every month.

Top Bottom