• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Superfan JayzTwoCents: "Maybe a PS5 is more my flavor at the moment"

Chiggs

PC Superfan/Enthusiast/Influencer JayzTwoCents just released a new video called "Dear PC Industry" in which he laments the current state of the industry.

Topics covered:
  • How the pandemic has ruined things.
  • Asus being a shit-heel company.
  • Nvidia being a shit-heel company, plus market manipulation.
  • AMD and their motherboard partners not communicating effectively, leading to some AM5/X3D CPU issues.
    • AMD possibly not being involved enough in the manufacturing process.
    • AM5 will stabilize, but it's another reason why early adopting sucks.
  • None of the brands have their hands clean right now, with maybe Intel being the least controversial...at least at the moment.
    • They're not the most innovative, but they're trying...
    • Intel's toasty thermals can be overcome with manual voltage tuning.
  • Consumer sentiment toward the industry is a disaster.
Of course, for those of you out there who can assess information without being emotionally-triggered about "muh PC!", nothing in this video should surprise you. Things aren't great.

So, factor in historically-catastrophic sales last year and this year with a decline that started in mid-2021, absolutely abysmal PC ports that are nearly unplayable at the time of release, and you have to start wondering how threads like "Opinion: Pc gaming has never been as good as it is today" are made in earnest on this forum. 🤡

Have PC gamers truly become so conditioned and browbeaten that they cannot see what a dumpster fire their platform is right now? I mean, at least Xbox fans are starting to wise up (of course, that's what happens when your CEO goes on a podcast to seek pity and sympathy and it confirms many of our worst suspicions). Oh, and as good/convenient as Steam is, it sure as hell doesn't outweigh a thoroughly shitty port.

As a PC gamer since my adolescence, I don't think I've seen things this bad. I wouldn't dare recommend the platform to uninitiated friends or family, and you'd have to pay me to look the other way when there's something called the PS5 which checks all the right boxes and costs $500.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
ed3ae10703bcd783544b.jpg

Klosshufvud

PC is currently going through a sad phase. With that said, its benefits far outweigh consoles even considering that. Remember how MS just nuked emulation on Series consoles like that? My emulators are fine on PC. PC is freedom and so long as consoles remain locked down curated experiences, I will never prefer that to PC. Just the idea of having to pay some CEO $50 just to access online mode in a $70 game riddled with DLC/microtransactions is repulsive to me. So shamelessly monetized around every corner.

killatopak

PC is in a bad spot right now and yeah PS5 seems like the best product to tide the transition the PC space is going through but everything will pass eventually.

If you’re impatient or are enticed by what Sony is offering, it’s not a bad choice to do. It’s not an either or. You can enjoy both for what it is.

kevm3

I don't really see a reason for someone to rush out to pay a ton of money for a PC unless you are just an enthusiast. There was a time where pc gaming was awesome... when Steam sales blew away console sales and games on PC were significantly better looking than the ones on the consoles and graphics cards weren't priced to the moon.

You can still get better looking games, but pc ports are usually bad and the price for graphics cards are obscene now. Maybe if you're into emulation or modding then PC is worth it... but now with more sales on consoles, I just don't really want to be bothered with PC gaming aside from the stuff I can play on my laptop.

Chiggs

You can still get better looking games, but pc ports are usually bad and the price for graphics cards are obscene now. Maybe if you're into emulation or modding then PC is worth it... but now with more sales on consoles, I just don't really want to be bothered with PC gaming aside from the stuff I can play on my laptop.

I'm starting to feel the same way. Admittedly, I do have a couple of good rigs, one of which is used for 3d-rendering, but when I'm done working for the day, I don't want to sit behind another computer and fiddle with settings and compatibility. I just want the shit to work.

Astray

Gold Member
Jayztwocents is a drama queen but he's not wrong, PC market's growth is shrinking.

My brother came to me about 2 weeks ago wanting to build a PC and legit got shocked when I told him what it would take to make a machine that can be somewhat relied on for AAA gaming.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Eh, I find the narrative of singling out PC gaming very disingenuous. The problem of software releasing in poor and unfinished states is industry-wide.

Jedi Survivor is an absolute mess on consoles (or at least was) with horrid image quality, poor performance, and stutters as well.

The Witcher 3 next-gen edition took months to fix on consoles, even longer than on PC. It was always one step forward and two steps back.

Gotham Knights was awful, locked at 30fps, with plenty of drops and stutters on consoles.

Callisto Protocol was broken on Xbox with missing effects and substantial frame drops.

Resident Evil 4 Remake had or still has terrible image quality in performance mode. The deadzone on Xbox was fucked as well.

Almost all of those issues above could be sidestepped or powered through on PC at least which has its fair share of other problems as well. The major difference being that a substantial number of PC users have rigs far more powerful than the consoles so their standards are understandably considerably higher. But pretending that this is a PC problem and it's all sunshine and rainbows in console land is a blatant lie.

The hardware price gouging is absolutely awful though, no doubt about that.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
In sentiment, I agree...but at least the games run on the console. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Don't act like it is the norme. We had a few bad port but that's it. And if it is badly optimised on PC, it is the same on console.

Let's take the most recent release for example: Jedi Survivor. On console you have horrible input lag, very bad IQ and unstable framerate with drop into the low 20s.
Now let's put those console settings on PC, locked to 30 FPS. A 2070 is getting pretty much the same experience no in fact it's better than a PS5.

But if you are fine playing sub 900p game with framerate as low as 20, you do you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Chiggs

My brother came to me about 2 weeks ago wanting to build a PC and legit got shocked when I told him what it would take to make a machine that can be somewhat relied on for AAA gaming.

At least you were honest, there's no shortage of PC gaming die-hards that straight up lie when asked about the true cost and skill-level required to build a PC.

"Oh, sure...you can build one for $500 that will work just as good as a PS5."

"Oh, sure....these things are basically fool-proof when putting together. You'll be done in an hour or two, tops."

Chiggs

But if you are fine playing sub 900p game with framerate as low as 20, you do you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I agree, but I'd rather the game run than just crash to desktop. If it came down to that, of course.

In Jedi: Survivor's case, I ended up cancelling both Steam and console pre-order and won't buy it until it's $39.99 or less.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Honestly this all boils down to 'Early adoption sucks'. And these conversation always go as if these problems aren't affecting consoles too, with abysmal performance and IQ, ridiculous pricetags (not just hardware but also games and services), lackluster big releases* (*on the AAA space targeting normies), failed GAAS, delays, etc.

The big budget AAA industry is colapsing. The happy players are those who jumped ship, stopped being obsessed with buzzwords like "next-gen/cross-gen", and only focus on good games they care about. That goes for consoles and PCs.

Last edited:

Elios83

PC is not an appealing gaming platform at the moment because the nVidia monopoly has resulted in crazy prices, it's absurd to pay 1500$ just for a GPU with less than 16GB of VRAM.
Code optimization on PC is difficult because it's not a single platform but a myriad of platforms with different hardware and drivers.
That results in games that are poorly optimized.
We're also at the moment where developers are starting to take advantage of the new console hardware leaving cross gen behind so we'll see a jump in PC system requirements that will force people to upgrade.
With a console you don't have to care about all these issues.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Don't act like it is the norme. We had a few bad port but that's it. And if it is badly optimised on PC, it is the same on console.

Let's take the most recent release for example: Jedi Survivor. On console you have horrible input lag, very bad IQ and unstable framerate with drop into the low 20s.
Now let's put those console settings on PC, locked to 30 FPS. A 2070 is getting pretty much the same experience no in fact it's better than a PS5.

Says, "don't act like it's the norm" then proceeds to call out a game that isn't the norm. Nice!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ah yes, the good old PC has all of these problems that the PS5 fanboys like to pretend doesn’t exist on their console.

It’s hilarious. Maybe because negative PS5 threads get deleted, like the one about how shit Jedi Order was on PS5. You can’t even run a game without FSR implementation, let that sink in. PS5 is low level regardless of how “bad” you want to paint PC gaming. It must be because the only thing console gamers care about is AAA, but that’s not all PC gaming has going for it.

The constant PS5 cock guzzling around here is incredible. Checks all the boxes? Sure if you like walled gardens and subpar performance and variable resolutions with FSR running in everything for $70. Can’t forget the online paywalls, no refunds, no digital store competition, and paid cloud.
In the real world all games are having issues, and in the real world they’re almost always fixed in a timely matter. Which means the PC version becomes what it should’ve been, while the PS5 version is inferior in every way.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

My 3060 Ti is still doing the job and the Steam platform / insane library still has my preference over any other big guys. But honestly, it's hard to disagree with this sentiment. There's no way in hell I'm gonna upgrade my PC any time soon with these prices and if a 500$ Pro PS5 that is close to a 3080 ti/3090 comes out in 2024 then I'll start thinking about the clever thing to do to play them newer AAA games.

Nvidia and AMD both need to offer better value for their next gen cards but I have very little hope this will actually happen.

hlm666

Doesn't he only play like world of warships and spend the money he makes from his channel on his supra or something? His negative videos get more views than his proper tech videos and hardware in general is slowing down progress wise so I guess this is how he keeps the cash comin in, modifying cars aint cheap and his car channel doesn't cover it.

X-Wing

Agree 100%. I typically favor PC everytime, but currently I choose PS5 more and more.

It's like devs don't know how to make proper DX12 games. PC dominated when DX11 was the thing.
Yeah, DX12 seems to be on the base of a lot of these issues since if you switch to vulkan the games perform much betere.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, I don't think so on the contrary, just don't have old stuff in your PC, I guess.

Unknown?

My friend tried convincing me it was a good time to build but when you have one component that costs a lot more than a whole console, I don't think so. The 40 series cards not only suck, they're too expensive. Everything else isn't bad though like motherboards and CPUs. It's just GPUs that make it bad.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ah yes, the good old PC has all of these problems that the PS5 fanboys like to pretend doesn’t exist on their console.

It’s hilarious. Maybe because negative PS5 threads get deleted, like the one about how shit Jedi Order was on PS5. You can’t even run a game without FSR implementation, let that sink in. PS5 is low level regardless of how “bad” you want to paint PC gaming. It must be because the only thing console gamers care about is AAA, but that’s not all PC gaming has going for it.

The constant PS5 cock guzzling around here is incredible. Checks all the boxes? Sure if you like walled gardens and subpar performance and variable resolutions with FSR running in everything for $70. Can’t forget the online paywalls, no refunds, no digital store competition, and paid cloud.

If we wanted to play on a toy box, we’d buy the toy box. It’s that simple.

Also the Switch 2 would be the far better choice over a PS5, with its shrinking library of exclusives, and massive overlap.
Lol the ps5 is not perfect but it absolutely don't have the same problems pc has right now... and it's freaking 400$.
You would have to be a fool not to see that.

The biggest problem on ps5 right now is FSR 2.0 games. I really hate how it looks. It's grainy and just looks like shit. This we can agree on.
But it's still a plug and play device without a care in the world.

Pc does what pc always did. I don't see how the problems now are much worse than they always been. I've been a pc gamer myh whole life.
I don't think pc gaming got much worse honestly. It is simple to set up, crank games and just play. But there are so many annoyances that can occur with new releases that I just got no fucking time and patience for anymore.
Makes you feel like an idiot having to deal with problems for the amount of money and time spent on the pc.

Most recent game I've played on pc was Resident Evil 4 Remake. I finished that game 2 times. 4k with fsr quality, no rt, some tweaks to shadows and volumetrics and it ran fantastic. No issues.....
But to to get to that point with re4, I spent good 3 hours trying to figure out why the demo kept crashing. Then I spent another good 2 hours when full version released because it turns out, it was still crashing after longer time. My father comes over to see new big games like he always does and it's fucking crashing. on a 3080.
This is embarrassing as fuck. I called him "You can come in dad. Bring the gaming supplies (coke, chips), I fixed the game and it's ready". Then he comes over and it's crashing. Pizza gets cold, we are wasting our time... and I am 34 years old. Playing games on pc since I was 7.
Sure, the fixes were extremely simple. just disable some settings. But the game was new and nobody really knew yet.

So yeah, I will cock guzzle ps5 because it's just that good. if You can't see any of that, I have no idea what to say.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Tells people to, "just play the games" while also telling people he can't handle a certain graphical setting.
I said it is unacceptable, not unplayable. And for me on console yes, sub 900p 20/30 FPS IS unplayable.
Meanwhile I finished it yesterday on PC, maxed out. Not perfect on the technical side but far better than anything a PS5 could do.

Says, "don't act like it's the norm" then proceeds to call out a game that isn't the norm. Nice!
Do you not understand what I meant? We are talking about technical issues so of course I'm gonna take the most recent and broken release.

I agree, but I'd rather the game run than just crash to desktop. If it came down to that, of course.

In Jedi: Survivor's case, I ended up cancelling both Steam and console pre-order and won't buy it until it's $39.99 or less.
So you should use your energy to call out the dev, not doing another console war thread. But you know exactly what you are doing.

Astray

Gold Member
At least you were honest, there's no shortage of PC gaming die-hards that straight up lie when asked about the true cost and skill-level required to build a PC.

"Oh, sure...you can build one for $500 that will work just as good as a PS5."

"Oh, sure....these things are basically fool-proof when putting together. You'll be done in an hour or two, tops."
This happens every console transition. People bring up the infamous Arkham Knight port a lot, but they forget that was a then-next gen PS4/XBone game similar to what Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor etc are now.

What I deeply dislike about the PC gaming community is the downplaying of how common the issues are and how annoying they can be to fix, I spent a ton of time trying to troubleshoot Death Stranding to no avail, eventually just dropping the issue and moving on to the next game. Just yesterday I spent an hour and half of my weekend trying to figure out why Discord won't start on my PC, issue was solved but at the expense of my weekend enjoyment.

Playing the expensive spec game should reduce those issues, not exacerbate them!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

In the real world all games are having issues, and in the real world they’re almost always fixed in a timely matter. Which means the PC version becomes what it should’ve been, while the PS5 version is inferior in every way.
Jayz is not a ps5 fanboy.

Ev1L AuRoN

That was exactly my sentiment. If you go back to the beginning of this generation I said time and time again that I would go with PC only this gen, the scalping of the PS5 kept me away from getting one. And the PC getting support from both Sony and Microsoft, the future looks bright for PC, but everything went downhill from there.

Games running poorly became the norm, shader compilation issues, stutters, hitches, expensive parts, NVIDIA and that F*ckin VRAM situation, I bought a PS5 two months ago, and man let me tell you. It has been a gaming nirvana, not that PS5 don't have its fair share of bad ports, but that is the exception, not the norm.

90% of everything I play on my PS5 runs beautifully at 60fps, in some cases 120, with great IQ and fast load and boot time. Playing online is also a breeze, no anti-cheat apps and DRM tanking my performance, smooth online gameplay and I even kept the ability to play competitive games on KB and mouse.

I end up giving my gaming PC to my daughter to play Roblox, Minecraft and other lightweight games. When things get better, I'll build a new gaming PC for myself, for the time being I'm okay playing on PS5 and Switch.

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
It truly does suck. I recently built my pc and and it sparked a hella interest in the latest and greatest PC components. Its sad to see the state its in right now.

Chiggs

But you know exactly what you are doing.

Making a thread on NeoGAF discussing a video someone else made?

What is it about this thread that's triggering you:
  • The critique of the PC?
  • The praise of the PS5?
Either answer is problematic. Who the fuck cares? I've long been a PC gamer on this forum and if I want to trash the platform because it's objectively a mess right now, then what does it matter to you?

Go outside and take a walk, see a movie?

What I deeply dislike about the PC gaming community is the downplaying of how common the issues are and how annoying they can be to fix, I spent a ton of time trying to troubleshoot Death Stranding to no avail, eventually just dropping the issue and moving on to the next game. Just yesterday I spent an hour and half of my weekend trying to figure out why Discord won't start on my PC, issue was solved but at the expense of my weekend enjoyment.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Recently sold my PS5. Barely used it and it was collecting dust. Didn't like the closed off way consoles work. I like tinkering.

Everything becoming multiplatform (accept Nintendo, but praise emulation) has been great for PC gaming. Apart from the optimization/shader caching issues and hardware being expensive, I'm having a great time on PC. The optimization issues will sort themselves out eventually and i'm not that big of a stickler when it comes to jank.

But get why people feel like PC gaming is at a low point. But people forget how WORSE it was in the 00's (a lot of titles not getting PC ports, weird games for windows live garbage, etc). Compared to that era, it's fine.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
More and more broken PC ports, expensive PC parts, high inflation, and the hassle of making a game run because of Windows and driver updates.

Considering the above, PS5 offers an excellent alternative at just $399.

Chiggs

Of course we can see the issues. But what can we do about it? I’m not buying any bad port so I’m already paying with my wallet.

Well, that's definitely a start. And then I think the hardware follows suit. The gouging is a mess and there's no reason to keep upgrading your PC every year or so, when the games themselves can be unoptimized messes.

Top Bottom