• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Superfan JayzTwoCents: "Maybe a PS5 is more my flavor at the moment"

StereoVsn

DualSense is a fantastic controller, but I have no idea why keyboard/mouse support continues to evade consoles. Not like it's hard to implement.
Decent amount of games support it on the Xbox surprisingly. Then you could also use say Chronus Max / Zen to translate as well (doesn't work amazing but not too bad). Haven't really tried this on PS5.

I do wish support was much more consistent, at least for SP games and Co-op. I understand potential issues with MP.

Buggy Loop

And where is the consolegamingwiki with information about how to fix problems like deadzones, bad IQ, 900p/17fps???

I need the pcgamingwiki to know things like windows 32-bit or 64-bit, or that it uses royalty free audio, closed captions and mouse acceleration.

You know, the hard questions

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

On consoles, you don't have to think!

101231459-5515e700-36a3-11eb-9b82-1362a27a3fcc.png

Last edited:

A.Romero

No need to fall into propaganda.

PC games sometimes are a shitshow but lately crappy ports have become pretty common. I blame it on Unreal Engine. However, there is always a risk. A couple of examples (from Japanese devs):

- Tekken X Street Fighter. Couldn't even launch the game. I got it on a humble bundle so I just dropped it but it would have been pretty frustrating it I got it full price.
- Blaz Blue Cross Tag Tournament. I've been wanting to play but didn't want to pay what the publisher was asking on Steam. After years of waiting for a sale it came out on Gamepass last week. I installed it only to find that it does full screen at 720P only. If you switch to 1920 (the max rez offered) the game always runs on windowed mode. Uninstalled it after trying it for like 2 hours despite really liking the gameplay.
- Waited for YEARS for a Nier Automata patch but it was only released before it was added on gamepass. It was BS considering all the sales it got. That said, if you care enough to invest 20 minutes to mod it (Steam version) it ran way better than any console before the patch. Don't know what happened after the patch.

Those are not recent games but also they are not games that should be complex to run on a PC. However, devs simply didn't care enough to put out a competent port.

PC has many advantages and some of us already need a powerful PC for other stuff or simply we can afford it but let's not fool ourselves, it can also have many issues. That said, it is not every single release either. I have played like 95% of games I wanted on PC no issues including ones that were trashed by the press and over here like Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk on release. I'd say it's a gamble. A worthwhile gamble for some of us. There are also experiences that are still reserved to PC like VR with way more options than consoles and games like Total War. If that's enough to tilt someone over or not it's besides the point.

On the other side we have consoles which at least this gen are offering huge value. A PS5 for $500 is a steal in comparison to building a computer powerful enough to consistently push the same amount frames with the same resolution and smoothness. It has a nice simple interface and it covers like 99% of media entertainment needs. It runs the games pretty well for that price and the jump to the next (noticeable) step on PC comes with a pretty steep price tag.

So both platforms have good things and some drawbacks. They serve different purposes and are very good at their own thing but none of them are as bad as their respective detractors say.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I'm sure this is totally some made up issue I've concocted because I'm an insidious liar trying to destroy the PC game industry!
Nobody called you a liar, but maybe you're just not great at maintaining a gaming PC.

Optimus Lime

I suppose if I also just pretended the issues people have with the platform are imaginary, i'd think they were weird too.

I see the exact opposite - it's the biggest PC gamers who are shouting the loudest about it because it's painful to see the issues on the platform right now. Seems to be the more educated ones, too, if you've spent any amount of time in the other discussions on the forum regarding the issues.

Total strawman, either way.
I never said there were no problems when running PC games, doofus. I said they were massively overblown by the drama queens on the internet. Thanks for proving my point.

Chiggs

Nobody called you a liar, but maybe you're just not great at maintaining a gaming PC.

Of course, because PC gaming issues simply don't exist. And if they do exist, it's because of the end user. Always.

Let's face it: admitting some difficulty with a game is tantamount to treason...or non-belief...in the Cult of PC. And we just couldn't have that now, could we?

invisible face GIF by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

Of course, because PC gaming issues simply don't exist. And if they do exist, it's because of the end user. Always.

Let's face it: admitting some difficulty with a game is tantamount to treason...or non-belief...in the Cult of PC. And we just couldn't have that now, could we?
You're a really strange person.

Optimus Lime

And you've got nothing in terms of an argument, given your penchant for going for personal insults...which you've displayed routinely in this thread.
What are you talking about? How have I insulted you? By suggesting that people's claims are overblown, and that it might be a you problem?

I'm so sorry. I didn't realise you'd be mortally wounded by my words.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's not that easy.
The game crashes as soon as it reached 9700mb. There is no slowdown, hitching, nothing. It just crashes.
It's a badly designed game.
And if I disable RT and crank up everything else, the game warns me about using 14gb/10gb lol and it never crashes.
Dedicated memory is about 9gb then (not allocated)
While I agree that letting the game crash instead of lowering performance is a bad and junior-ish design or mistake, I see you constantly try to push your GPU far from it's boundaries.

I think we all know Nvidia GPUs are absurdly constrained by VRAM and that RT is an expensive stuttery gimmick that won't harm your experience if lacking, I shouldn't use it in your situation, I know that "pride" of having payed for an expensive toy that didn't validate its cost but you gotta learn to concede, Nvidia's fucked you all with VRAM, just deal with it and play under your limitations, games will still look and run better than on consoles, even most unoptimized ports should have not caused any noise if it wasn't for Nvidia users overestimating their cards... Which is sad because the best cards for RT are the ones demanding more VRAM and are the ones starved.

Puscifer

I never said there were no problems when running PC games, doofus. I said they were massively overblown by the drama queens on the internet. Thanks for proving my point.
I'm just going to add jay2centz literally went on vacation by his own admission and was telling on himself when he said that. He missed the boat on several big stories and that sweet YouTube revenue that would've come from it. Dude makes these crybaby videos every once in a while in addition to being a low quality channel, I honestly have no clue why people watch him or LTT most of the time.

I'm happy to be on the bleeding edge personally and could care less about a hump in the road. Sure console dudes will just laugh react but if I wanted that prescribed experience I'd buy a PS5, which I have, but guess what hasn't been turned on since I finished Ragnarok?

"It requires quite a lot of investigation
Lmao, just lower RT or turn it off completely. Boom, done.
"Hours spent in options", "investigation" you people are hysterical.
It's a stupid gimmick that kills performance and looks like shit half the time anyway.
RT is just bruteforcing something that dozens of lighting artists already put in there for you by hand, clean and tidy, instead of praying for denoiser to turn this crap into something servicable:
584556_42980.png

itshutton

Thing is, it is not far better on consoles. Sub 900p 30 FPS is unacceptable.
And FFS who cares on what hardware someone is playing? Just play THE GAMES and stop acting like a 12 years old.
What game are you specifically referring to? Sounds like a garbage fire! Gotham Knights?

HTK

Banned
What keeps me on PC is controller options. I can play with anything I want. Mouse, dualsense, and gyro aim. Consoles have garbage gyro implementation. So is a huge NO for me.
That’s what’s keeping you away from consoles bro….fucking gyro aim? Really?

You know what we don’t want your weird gyro aim ass on consoles anyway…what kinda shit is that.

Say something meaningful like I want 4k native at 120fps with Ultra Graphics but no this fool draws the line at gyro aim.

I’m done for the night, wtf.

DanEON

That’s what’s keeping you away from consoles bro….fucking gyro aim? Really?

You know what we don’t want your weird gyro aim ass on consoles anyway…what kinda shit is that.

Say something meaningful like I want 4k native at 120fps with Ultra Graphics but no this fool draws the line at gyro aim.

I’m done for the night, wtf.
lol
Console players dont know how good gyro aim is because on consoles it is complete garbage.

Top Bottom