• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peaky Blinders |OT| Learn to hate the accent - Tuesdays on BBC Two @ 9:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikarian

LEWH3ZE.png

About:

A gangster family epic set in 1919 Birmingham, Peaky Blinders centres on a gang who sew razor blades in the peaks of their caps, and their fierce boss Tommy Shelby, who means to move up in the world.

Cast:

PUOMGWV.png

Cillian Murphy as Tommy Shelby

dmyydKT.png

Helen McCrory as Aunt Polly

iY57LuJ.png

Paul Anderson as Arthur Shelby

KdQX4TY.png

Joe Cole as John Shelby

ybkJ9QX.png

Sophie Rundle as Ada Shelby

PR60uRG.png

Sam Neil as Chief Inspector Campbell

Yd7iHqe.png

Annabelle Wallis as Grace Burgess

EpiJIcz.png

Charlie Creed-Miles as Billy Kimber

Links:

Trailer

Exclusive First Look

Really enjoying the show so far. Though I'm sure accents could be better, Sam Neil's Belfast accent actually makes me enjoy it more.

"THE FAINYEN AYE ARGH AIE!" has become my new favourite sound bite.

Vert boil

Caught up with this.

I really need to ring up Points of View and complain about the excessive slow-mo and the appalling music... and that the music is Too loud.

*shrug* It's okay. At least it isn't as dull as Boardwalk.

Senator Soufflé;82755833 said:
Really enjoying the show so far. Though I'm sure accents could be better, Sam Neil's Belfast accent actually makes me enjoy it more.

"THE FAINYEN AYE ARGH AIE!" has become my new favourite sound bite.

Sam Neil does a Belfast accent? Sold!

Kikarian

Caught up with this.

I really need to ring up Points of View and complain about the excessive slow-mo and the appalling music... and that the music is Too loud.

*shrug* It's okay. At least it isn't as dull as Boardwalk.
I really like the cinematography. I guess it's personal preference.

Just watched the first 20 mins of the first episode...nice seeing a decent budgeted BBC show. Will reserve full judgment till I've finished the episode.

As a resident of Birmingham, who hates the perceived Birmingham twang I was astounded how wrong they got accents in this.

Half the cast are channelling Dudley via Liverpool. Murphy is the worst offender along with his on-screen mum.

Fucking shocking.
I quite like the show however.

I recall some interview were they said they weren't doing a traditional Birmingham accent. Something to do with what the accent may have sounded like at the time. I know for you it might be odd but to an outsider their accents seem grand.

Sam Neil is meant to have got the Belfast accent from talking with James Nesbitt and Liam Neeson and is apparently toning it down for international markets. Which is hilarious as he sounds over the top as it is.

Though I love the show for it.

Well that kinda makes a bit more sense I guess, still grates on me though, ay it. Love Sam Neil's accent however.

Unlike some I think the music choice is superb. Really makes it stand out along with the cinematography.

Well that kinda makes a bit more sense I guess, still grates on me though, ay it. Love Sam Neil's accent however.

Unlike some I think the music choice is superb. Really makes it stand out along with the cinematography.

I love the music too. As far as the accents go, I can't work out why some of the characters sound more Birmingham than others. Great show though. Sam Neill is fantastic.

Meesh

It's a great show, Murphy is awesome, Sam Neil is pretty good. Overall some excellent writing and tension.

Vert boil

Wait, thought it was the reverse.

Enjoyed the first season. Murphy needs to be cast in more things.

It's been a long time since I watched it, just going off my memory here.
We didn't see who was shot, only Campbell pointing the gun. They set it up so either of them could have fired due to them both having guns. I choose to believe and hope that it was Grace that fired.

L1NETT

Humpty bumpy bump

Season 2 Teaser Trailer

Returns this Autumn

Cracking, loved the first series. Accents were a tad dodgy in places and the middling episodes did sag a bit but really good production values and very enjoyable indeed.

Also Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy in the same show together. Boo ya

PJ Harvey and music producer Flood will be doing the soundtrack for this series, reworking her back catalog to suit the period setting. (I always felt the White Stripes songs felt out of place in the first series)

Vert boil

PJ Harvey and music producer Flood will be doing the soundtrack for this series, reworking her back catalog to suit the period setting. (I always felt the White Stripes songs felt out of place in the first series)

That should be a vast improvement over season one. Just eight days until we can hear for ourselves.

Getting pretty excited now. Not as excited as my wife, for whom Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy appearing on screen together is straight up fantasy material, but pretty excited nonetheless.

I liked the first series soundtrack myself, but this is great news. Hope Nick Cave still gets a look in though.

TheOddOne

Season premiere today:
Season 2: episode 1

As the 1920s begin to roar, business is booming for the Peaky Blinders gang. Tommy Shelby starts to expand his legal and illegal operations, with an eye on the racetracks of the south. Meanwhile, an enemy from Tommy's past returns to Birmingham.

L1NETT

Nobody else watching this?

Thought it was a roight good opener

Damn stylish, still the dodgy accents but like where this season is headed. Plus this show has some cracking fight scenes

Loved the episode. Music was great again. The fight in the London club was awesone. For some reason I expect the youngest Shelby brother to be tested this series

I cannot believe they had the "Irish" policeman say "I know where you live". What a terrible line.

It was OK. Felt a little hammy at times. Looking forward to Hardy's introduction.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm gonna wait for the whole season to lay out before checking it, the first season was a great surprise. Never thought a show called "peaky blinders" would be great :p

Schrade

Whoever made the decision to have P.J. Harvey do the music for this is someone who knows what they're doing.

This last episode there were some great scenes/music matches. The scenes with Polly and Tommy were superbly acted as well.

Loving the show still.

AkuMifune

Banned
That episode was fucking great. Tom Hardy as Peaky Bronson.

EDIT: Now that I'm not so drunk I can articulate my thoughts a little better. The episode would have been good for the Hardy scene alone, but all of the major characters put in amazing performances, the writing and music were really well done and I couldn't pick a favorite scene if you beat me until my face was a hole. Even the Churchill bit was great. This is certainly the best show of the year and the fact the thread is so slow kills me. This should be much more popular.

L1NETT

Aye thought it was another great ep

Hardy was mint and Sam Niell is wonderfully cartoony evil. Kinda want his eyebrow to raise up menacingly once every so often

Also the show visually looks smashing

rexor0717

On Ep.5: It was a bit strange when
Detective Duder proposed to Operative Whatsherface.
I didn't pick up a hint of affection from the guy the entire time, but maybe I'll have to go back and rewatch their interactions.

L1NETT

Caught up with last nights, thought it was probably the best episode yet

Love every single Hardy scene

sign the paper, fack offfff

AkuMifune

Banned
I liked the previous one better, but this was still really solid. Still waiting for Hardy's explosion. He's like oil bubbling just underneath the boiling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom