• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peaky Blinders |OT| Learn to hate the accent - Tuesdays on BBC Two @ 9:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Tom Hardy's missus

ay dios mio

nWsUuLe.png

Never a dull moment when Hardy himself is on screen.

L1NETT

Not quite as good as last week's but still damn good stuff

Predictions

Arthur won't last the season. Not a chance.

Michael to become the right hand man, or potential something more.

Grace surely is part of the plan Tommy mentioned to Campbell at the end there, didn't he write her a letter earlier in the series

AkuMifune

Banned
Arthurs oration made the episode. He's my favorite character in the show now. Doomed, but favorite.

Well now that I think of it, they're all doomed.

AkuMifune

Banned
Ey. drunk posting a week after myself in the thread of the best show of the year. I'd cry if I could make myself.

Great episode. Maybe a little too much of Sam Neill's terrible accent.

AkuMifune

Banned
Great episode. Was only disappointed that Tom Hardy
didn't have to get his hands dirty
and that Tom Shelby
didn't die. Not that I wanted him to, but felt like a cop out moment they had set it up so well.

Maybe that was the point though. Still, my favorite show of the year for sure. Really going to miss it!

Amir0x

Banned
This show is some captivating shit.

Episode 6 was really some tense showmanship. Every second of that episode I was on the edge of my seat. That conversation with Tom Hardy about the grenade was a true classic.

Yeah this is a great show. Wait for Season 3 will be painful

Top show, did that rare thing of actually being better than the first series, definitely seemed to have a bigger budget this time.

L1NETT

What a super finale

Far preferred series 2 to series 1, Defib is bang on. That tis a rare thing.

Some many great threads left hanging. Really hope we see more of Hardy/Noah Taylor if there is a series 3

You don't fuck with the peaky blinders

yes Polly

Amir0x

Banned
I also liked the contrast with the first season and second season at the betting grounds. In the first season, he used Grace for his plan until the very last moment when he changed his mind and took her away. But he was willing to put her in very real danger of violence, sexual or otherwise.

In this season, he tried it again with Lizzy, but this time he was unable to make it there in time... she really was just Tommy's chess piece, and although he tried it showed that there are consequences when you show that blatant disregard for people. His plans might not always work out right; being the smartest guy in the room sometimes can't change the simple fact of a police man guarding a door.

The callousness of Tommy's behavior toward women and the way the show demonstrates the consequences of it is quite the compelling dynamic.

AkuMifune

Banned
Yeah, I thought that point was highlighted quite well by having both his flames waiting for him after the race at the same place while he no-shows. He figured he'd be dead, so just left them to dangle.

Do we even know which girl he was referring to? I assume it was meant to be the cliffhanger, but I like the May much better than Grace surprisingly. Grace seems to have been neutered as a character, from sneaky double-agent to confused simple married woman. Also, finally recognized May as being the rough chick from Edge of Tomorrow. Funny.

EDIT: Holy shit May is Tom Hardy's wife! No wonder he did the show.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, I thought that point was highlighted quite well by having both his flames waiting for him after the race at the same place while he no-shows. He figured he'd be dead, so just left them to dangle.

I liked how quick witted May was about Grace too. No bullshit. For such a male dominated gangster type epic, I love how strong the women are in this show, even when they're facing horrible acts of male-driven violence.

Like I did not expect it was Grace that fucking shot Inspector Campbell in the end of the first; and was it any coincidence it was Polly that finished the deed at the end of the second season? Additionally, the younger Shelby brothers Gypsy wife is constantly shown to be a strong willed individual who will speak her damn mind, rules be damned.

Do we even know which girl he was referring to? I assume it was meant to be the cliffhanger, but I like the May much better than Grace surprisingly. Grace seems to have been neutered as a character, from sneaky double-agent to confused simple married woman. Also, finally recognized May as being the rough chick from Edge of Tomorrow. Funny.

EDIT: Holy shit May is Tom Hardy's wife! No wonder he did the show.

It's definitely supposed to make us think "who is he going to choose?" But Shelby is so ambitious, I have to imagine May - the one who has the chance to further his business strategy - will be who he marries. But it'll be Grace who he loves, cheating on May all the while. And with a baby in the mix... more trouble.

Finished. Holy Crap. What a great show.

Season 3 has lots it can work with. That scene with Grace and May was pretty amazing. I did feel Grace's character was less compelling this season but it was still well-done overall.

RIP Dr. Grant. You were a great villain

Damn, that field scene was so intense.
Thomas Shelby is such a badass character.
And Polly!

I really hope he was referring to May at the end, let Grace go, her character isn't nearly as interesting.

Also, Red Right Hand is the perfect song for this show

Amir0x

Banned
Damn, that field scene was so intense.
Thomas Shelby is such a badass character.
And Polly!

I really hope he was referring to May at the end, let Grace go, her character isn't nearly as interesting.

Also, Red Right Hand is the perfect song for this show

Ain't no stopping the Grace train in the show now, she's pregnant :p

I found Grace quite interesting in Season 1, but I must admit that was my one major issue with the second season. In it she basically just swooped in late in season to be used by Tommy as a convenient chip to get over on Inspector Campbell, then she's pregnant and important again. Her character didn't really have much to say about herself this time, which was unfortunate in a show with so many powerful female characters.

I wonder if sam neil's character will survive and be using a walker next year instead of a cane. Also wonder which woman will try to kill him at the end of the season.

Ain't no stopping the Grace train in the show now, she's pregnant :p

I found Grace quite interesting in Season 1, but I must admit that was my one major issue with the second season. In it she basically just swooped in late in season to be used by Tommy as a convenient chip to get over on Inspector Campbell, then she's pregnant and important again. Her character didn't really have much to say about herself this time, which was unfortunate in a show with so many powerful female characters.

Yeah, she did seem kinda shoe-horned in. At first I thought it was part of a plan her and Tommy were setting up since the first season kinda showed them to be equals in terms of cleverness and deception. Also her being pregnant seemed like a similar thing, I understand there's a desperation that played there, and it's not like she had lots of screen-time to show us anything else, but it did feel awkward when compared to May. We'll probably see lots of both next season, so we'll see where that goes.

Carbonox

dat finale

Can't wait for season 3. Tom Hardy best return though his character doesn't really need to be appearing anymore.

he needs to appear cos he's comedy gold

Field scene was amazing.

Gray Matter

Every episode continues to blow my mind. I've just watched the first episode of season 2 but tommy sure got fucked up by
sabinj

torontoml

Just blazed through season 2 on Netflix. Love this show, and I get pumped every time I hear the theme music. Shitty part is I have to wait a year I assume for season 3?

Gray Matter

3 episodes into season 2 and I don't wanna stop watching but I have to. Otherwise it will end too soon and I'll have to wait months for season 3.

It's just so good.

Gray Matter

Just finished S2 E04.

I might be getting ahead of myself but
tommy is getting into a world of trouble. Sabini and Alfie seems like they made a truce. Campbell has a hold of him, I wonder what the end game is for this season

Also
Michaels behavior seems forced to me, I know he's just living life, but it looks forced. And I didn't like how Arthur and John burned down that pub, I actually felt bad.

And last thing
GRACE IS BACK!

Just wrapped up S2 on Netflix.

Gotta say, I found it to be a pretty big disappointment, and a considerable step down from the solid first season. I found it oddly paced, most notably Tommy's very rushed and unconvincing romance with May.

And speaking of female characters, I pretty much hated what they did with both Polly and Grace. Two strong, interesting, and intelligent female characters in Season 1, reduced largely to quivering idiots in Season 2. One of the show's big strengths turned into a weakness.

And Tommy's intricate, theatrical plots are starting to wear a bit thin, as are the cartoonish antagonists.

I dunno. I really, really liked Season 1, but Season 2 just wasn't that good.

AkuMifune

Banned
2ef71204eb2f6d35a18c5c1007b237da.jpg

I agree that Grace took a turn from enigmatic to simpleton, but I thought Polly's arc was well done. Her children being taken away was the scab that made her strong and it was violently ripped off, leaving her kind of fragile and at the mercy of the system again. She handled it well though. And May was not only a strong female presence, but saw right through Tommy's machinations.

And I can see how Santini was more cartoonish than Billy Kimber , but I thought he was a much better character overall. I never felt threatened by Kimber or his men, they were just goofballs with guns, while Santini was insane without crossing the line into silly. Well, almost. Season 1 felt like a really clever show that was content to just be a clever show, where I felt Season 2 was shooting for something much bigger, just seeing how far they could take it without becoming ridiculous, which I appreciated a hell of a lot more.

Saying it's just not good deserves 5 minutes alone with Arthur though. ;)

I agree that Grace took a turn from enigmatic to simpleton, but I thought Polly's arc was well done. Her children being taken away was the scab that made her strong and it was violently ripped off, leaving her kind of fragile and at the mercy of the system again. She handled it well though. And May was not only a strong female presence, but saw right through Tommy's machinations.

My biggest problem is that's pretty much all she had to do the entire season. I appreciate the fact that losing her children had a devastating impact on her life, and getting her son back was a profound experience for her, but I found it irksome how it turned her into such a powerless figure, singularly obsessed with her son and no longer capable of playing an instrumental role in the family enterprise the way she was in the first season.

On a related note, I can't help but find it odd how quickly Tommy was able to track down her son. Makes me wonder how hard they were looking for him all these years.

While I generally like the British format of small seasons of about six episodes, I feel this show could benefit from a few more. A lot of the storylines this season really needed some room to breathe.

rexor0717

S2Ep4: Damn, this was the first time where it was like, "These guys don't fuck around." You'd seen them be brutal, but this was the first time they did some heinous gangster shit.

Akahige

I've been watching this for the past few days, finished Series One and watched Episode One of Series Two.

Enjoying it a lot, not a fan of when the guitar heavy music tracks start playing but that's a pretty minor complaint.

Cardon

Just started watching this on Netflix as well and I love it so far. Brilliant acting, writing, and directing (at least in S1, only on ep3 of S2), and it totally took me by surprise when I first watched it.

I also like how Sam Neill's character goes
full heel
by the end of S1.

Gray Matter

Well, now we play the wating game for season 3.

My thoughts:

To the poster who said the he/she thought the characters of Polly and Grace were water down a bit, I sorta agree. I liked Polly's story arc, any mother would want the best her children and she acted accordingly. But Grace's characters wasn't what I hoped. She was just... There.

As to the business side, it was a rollercoaster ride, and it genuinely had me worried that tommy was losing the many battles. I liked all the side story arcs, none were boring.

Now the end, man, I really thought tommy
was going to die.

I liked season one better but this season was phenomenal. The waiting is going to drag.

Curufinwe

I watched the last four episodes of S2 yesterday. Holy shit, that was good TV.

Campbell was a great character but a total scumbag, so it was great that they killed him for real this time. Although how did no one hear Polly's gun going off? Was it silenced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom