• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peaky Blinders |OT| Learn to hate the accent - Tuesdays on BBC Two @ 9:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit just fucking finished watching the end of Season 2. Made my heart skip a beat. Can't wait for season 3 this might be my favorite show at the moment.

Binged this show over the weekend

Really really impressed
Cillian Murphy and San Neil for the win

Season 1 going onto season 2 was fantastic. The progression of S2 on the other hand is questionable. Weird moments and pacing in there

Lots of mixed remarks regarding the soundtrack. Oddly enough, I kind of like it. There are some lolmoments, but I don't think any other show could have pull it off the way this does.

Just wrapped up S2 on Netflix.

Gotta say, I found it to be a pretty big disappointment, and a considerable step down from the solid first season. I found it oddly paced, most notably Tommy's very rushed and unconvincing romance with May.

And speaking of female characters, I pretty much hated what they did with both Polly and Grace. Two strong, interesting, and intelligent female characters in Season 1, reduced largely to quivering idiots in Season 2. One of the show's big strengths turned into a weakness.

And Tommy's intricate, theatrical plots are starting to wear a bit thin, as are the cartoonish antagonists.

I dunno. I really, really liked Season 1, but Season 2 just wasn't that good.

I pretty much agree with this
Series 2 definitely faltered in comparison to 1

Just picked up this show! It has Cillian Murphy and that guy from Jurassic Park. That's already a win in my book, and I'm barely 10 minutes in!

I guess I'll post here than the Netflix episode
Is it me or Sam Neal's acting is not good here.
The speech have gave on episode one seems like he's exaggerating his expression

GreedZen

Banned
Just got done with series 2; talk about a great ending.

I was so caught up in what was going on that I seriously thought Tom was gonna die. If I'd been paying attention to how much time was left in the episode I'd have thought otherwise, but it was too good of an episode for my mind to wonder off on such things.
Series 2 wasn't told as neatly as I'd have liked, however
I'm really looking forward to the next, especially Tommy marrying May ;) I never really liked Grace that much.
Spoiler tagged because that last episode had me thinking there would be no more after Tom's death.

ps Although her role was small for the most part, I liked seeing the actress that plays Lizzie, she was great in Misfits.

pps lol The music is great and Arthur's actor is great, particularly when he's "high energy".

Good to know. Had a marathon of the series over the past week via netflix and really, really enjoyed it. Season two kinda faltered midway through but finished with a vengeance. Felt like the show was trying to do more than it could in 6 hours. Love the music selection and how cocky/badass everything is.

Campbell's "LIAR!" in s2e5 when Thomas told her he'd be going out with Grace was stellar. All that previous posturing over him having the upper hand destroyed in a twenty second phone call. The show's growing espionage angle has me hooked more than the gangster business honestly, though that's excellent as well.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
I feel like they purposely made Grace seem less exciting than May in the second series, that scene in the finale where
she tells Tommy shes pregnant with his child at the most annoying moment...

Anyway I love this show so much, cant believe theres only a 3 page thread here on GAF... Roll on series 3!

Owl

Neo Member
I really love this show and watched all of the episodes that are available on Netflix. Can't wait for more!

L1NETT

Bumpty bump for some season 3 deets

Spoilers the series starts:
We’ve now learned the debut episode will be set on Tommy’s wedding day. Today, Knight says, “I am genuinely thrilled at the prospect of Season Three. I think it will be the best yet. Lots of things familiar, but lots of things are new. It’s still a Birmingham story and it always will be. Now, it has international consequences. I can’t wait to see it myself.”

Synopsis:
Season 3 will see Tommy pulled into the glamorous and dangerous world of international intrigue in 1920s Britain, putting his entire organization and family at risk, and forcing him to question everything about his own ambitions and desires

Tom Hardy is back, new additions to the cast so far are Dina Korzun (Last Resort) and Jan Bijvoet (Cordon) and motherchuffing Paddy Considine as
the representative of a force beyond anything Tommy has previously encountered.

Will be directed by the chap who did Cordon (Belgian thriller) which was a load of old tosh (mainly due to a shocking script) was well put together, so he's a good replacement for Colm McCarthy.

Carbonox

Bumpty bump for some season 3 deets

Spoilers the series starts:
We’ve now learned the debut episode will be set on Tommy’s wedding day. Today, Knight says, “I am genuinely thrilled at the prospect of Season Three. I think it will be the best yet. Lots of things familiar, but lots of things are new. It’s still a Birmingham story and it always will be. Now, it has international consequences. I can’t wait to see it myself.”

Synopsis:
Season 3 will see Tommy pulled into the glamorous and dangerous world of international intrigue in 1920s Britain, putting his entire organization and family at risk, and forcing him to question everything about his own ambitions and desires

Tom Hardy is back, new additions to the cast so far are Dina Korzun (Last Resort) and Jan Bijvoet (Cordon) and motherchuffing Paddy Considine as
the representative of a force beyond anything Tommy has previously encountered.

Will be directed by the chap who did Cordon (Belgian thriller) which was a load of old tosh (mainly due to a shocking script) was well put together, so he's a good replacement for Colm McCarthy.

yes lad

Can't fucking wait for this to return.

yes lad

Can't fucking wait for this to return.

Was just thinking of this show today, it's so good. Can't wait for season 3.

On 4th October 2015 Deadline announced Paddy Considine was added to the cast members of series 3.

Awww yeah.

6533-animated_gif-hot_fuzz-tagme.gif

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just started watching this show and I'm enjoying it.

Are the amount of posts indicative of GAF's opinion of it?

I was LTTP myself but fucking loved it right off the bat. Anything WW1 is an automatic yes for me, and unlike some gaffers, I really dig the music. I've also developed a huge man crush on Cillian Murphy.

And it's pretty visually stunning for a tv show.

Ultimadrago

How is this show? My boss just recommended it to me and I've never heard of it.

Of course, my first reaction was "Go to GAF!"

JonnyKong

Does this mean you guys are going to get all the episodes on Netflix at once, before we get to see them all in the uk? No fair. I think we have two (?) still left to go.

Amazing show, cant believe I only recently stumbled on it. Kinda glad I didn't have to wait for some of the cliffhangers to be resolved though hah.

No love for the theme in this thread? Absolutely great. Listened to it while driving the other day, only problem is that every time there is a 'DONG' my foot goes through the fucking floor

Finished up Boardwalk Empire a few weeks ago, was looking for other period shows, and discovered this today. Sounds fantastic, and that's one hell of a cast. I know what I'm watching tonight

torontoml

Really enjoying season 3 personally, feels just as good to me as the first 2. Blasted through 5/6 episodes today. Will probably finish ep 6 later tonight.

Finished the season last night. I liked it but overall I don't think it was quite as good as season 1 or 2. Mostly I really missed Tommy having a primary antagonist like the Inspector and watching their battle of wits/one-upmanship play out.
Paddy Considine's
character didn't have the same effect; just a pure "this asshole needs to die" scumbag without any shades. Also didn't really care for the espionage element this time. It felt like too much for only six episodes.

I'm definitely excited for the next seasons though. S3's main goal looked like it wanted to drag everyone down to rock bottom.

Episode 5:
Return of Bane voice! "Arthur. Arthur!"

Man Hardy stole the show in only maybe 12 minutes of total screen time. I felt like his character was a lot more hilarious this season too. Still intimidating, but much more jovial.

Great song choice for the end of episode 1.

I think the show's song selection was amazing this season. Honestly didn't expect that much Radiohead but it definitely worked.

Enthus

Episode 5:
Lazarus was the perfect choice for the opening. Is this the first Blackstar song to be used in other media?

Primus

I think the show's song selection was amazing this season. Honestly didn't expect that much Radiohead but it definitely worked.

Peaky's music has always been on point but this season? Phwoar, ratcheted it up about six more levels. PJ Harvey's version of the theme opening Episode 3? You knew immediately how Episode 2's cliffhanger played out. And then we top off that episode with Tom Waits's "Soldier's Things" while Tommy was playing with Johnny, and I almost died right there.

Highlight of the season was that bit of unreleased Leonard Cohen during that scene of Episode 5. Jesus, not only do you get David Bowie requesting right before he died that some of his music from Blackstar would be in S3, but you also have enough pull to get unreleased Leonard Cohen music? From a forthcoming album? Insane.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
"Shalom"

I crack up every time Tom Hardy is on the show.

This was my favorite part of season 3, I just burst out laughing for a solid five minutes.

Same here.

Episode 5

Tommy never got mad at Polly for her big, drunk mouth almost getting him killed?

I was kind of surprised by that too.

Finished the season last night, it was pretty good overall, but also felt like they could have used an extra episode or two just to make some of the plot points land a bit better.
Personally found Grace's death to be really abrupt, among other things, and it didn't really work for me too well.
Just felt a little stretched. The ending really caught me by surprise, in a good way. It'll be interesting to see where things go from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom