• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People need to calm down on the over reaction to the Halo demo

oldergamer oldergamer
jD3mog6.gif

DeaDPo0L84

It simply didn't look good and was nowhere near on par with how Microsoft has been hyping this up. If you think it looks amazing and is gonna be the best thing ever more power to you. We can only react or form opinions on what they choose to show us, and it wasn't good.

turtlepowa

Banned
They've been waiting for years.

And the build being months old is meaningless. Most footage you will ever see before release isn't current. Betas and Demos you play also.

And saying it was on PC not Xbox... wtf does that mean? The game is launching on PC yes?
Just wait and see, then bash.

Honestly the problems with it go beyond the technical. Like yeah it very distinctly doesn't look like a next-gen game but even from an artistic direction it's especially bland.

Here's a good question for you if it wasn't Halo would anyone be talking about it?

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Its sad to see honestly. It was MS defining game. Its a well known franchise and even if you never played it, you respected its brand.

I guess it can still be saved but its terrible what has happened. 343 murdered it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm sorry but that trailer looked like a remaster. The gameplay was ancient, like PS3 / 360 days gameplay. The acting was terrible. The graphics looked alright but nothing mind blowing. They still have months to work on it, but man, what we saw was not good.

Dr.Morris79

I'm guessing because they showed nothing about how the game will look and run. Also, that game will also be multi-platform.
But it is a launch title! So at least it's not three years off, I just hope it comes out..

I remember buying a Playstation 4 for Ace Combat, then it vanished for a long time.

the_master

Seriously, it was one game demo. No, the Xbox is not underpowered, no Phil spencer isn't lying, no this isn't proof that the old consoles are holding things back. The only thing the demo proved was that it wasn't polished enough to show. There's still time for the game to improve, and it has a huge team involved so it will move quickly. Pop-in, textures, clipping, lighting/particle fx will be fixed before launch. The only thing missing for launch is ray-tracing which would get them a number of visual improvements.

Despite the state it was in, we saw a few things we have never seen in a Halo game before:
- Open world exploration through the entire game ( you can explore the entire ring with it being bigger than the last two games combined)
- Targetting of enemy body parts that effects animations ( headshot kills )
- actual verticality in combat. using the grappler to get on top of objects is new and less linear than all previous halo games
- some new weapons are interesting

Other items we didn't see but were mentioned after:
- 2 - 4 player split-screen is back
- Upgrades to master chief throughout the game is also new

There were a number of things missing from that demo which seem pretty obvious, but 343 is probably already aware of. If anyone here has worked on a game before, every game hits the stage of "crunch time", and during that phase, it takes the biggest leaps forward in how it looks and plays. Halo 1 was in a similar state before it first launched the original Xbox months before release. Gameplay wise, that demo was pretty solid. They just need to clean up the visuals and polish.

Anyway, I wish they would have held off showing it until more was in there ( at the very least ray tracing to show off what it would look like. its a big miss), but it is what it is. What is isn't though is the end of the world. Most people don't care about the stuff others were complaining about in the forums yesterday. People here need to relax.
This is lalmost all wrong:
1- Phil Spencer Liedseveral times bragging about the power, the show itself and the quality he was going to show, he should step down after this.
2- Xbone is holding it back
3- They DO NOT have time to improve, it is 4 months away, you cant' polish the whole game in 3 months
4- They will need to be patching bugs after lunch for years to come, this game is not ready even to be shown in an E3 show, ray tracing will be another problem when performance starts going down.
5- NOBODY has claimed that there is the whole ring to explore, they don't even say it is an open world, they say that the world is open and expansive, but not have claimed that it is really an open world (They better come out soon with the truth before people gets the hopes up)
6- Shooting body parts has always affected the animation, (maybe Except in Halo 4/5) so this was a good improvement, certainly appreciate that in the demo. Especially, shooting at the legs and making the brute stumble. That is reeeally good for the game. kudos when deserved
7- We didn't see any verticality in combat cause the grappling hoojkll was moving the MC in a straight line usually forward.
8- Some new weapons where interesting indeed, can't wait to try them
9- Splitscreen is a great thing that came back. Kudos
10- Upgrades can be also very cool indeed.
11- No, not every game enters crunch time. And games risk it when they do, it can end well for the game, or it can end really bad. They are probably swimming in bugs and won't have time to do any major upgrade to the game if they don't postpone it. They would have to have fixed the open world tech (streaming, keeping character and item data alive on non visible terrains in different level of detail so they can be queried when not loaded, etc...) Months ago so they can build the gameplay and level design around it. What hapens now is that if they fix this tech, the level design is already done to work as best as possible with the current tech, meaning the game is already clamped by its own tech and they won't have to change all the levels layout.

Basically it seems that they fucked up their tech and art direction (bland colours, poor lighting...)
They can still come out with great gameplay feel and that is the most important and the only thing that I have hopes towards.

Vawn

Banned
But it is a launch title! So at least it's not three years off, I just hope it comes out..

I remember buying a Playstation 4 for Ace Combat, then it vanished for a long time.

Makes it even stranger that they didn't show anything.

Actually, on further inspection is this true? They said it's a "console launch exclusive". I take this mean when it comes out (who knows when), it will launch on PC and Xbox and then come to PS5 at a point later depending on how long the exclusivity deal is.

Last edited:

chilichote

I have the impression that the OP is emotionally involved^^

You should know that criticism is a good thing! This is the only way your beloved Microsoft can improve. If nobody says shit is what Microsoft does, the shit just gets bigger instead of smaller. In this respect you should really go inside yourself^^

Fake

Romulus

Just the way the demo person was panning the camera around like "look at this awesome scenery!" all the while shit is popping up like Far Cry Instincts in the background and the textures look like Forge in Halo 3.

That's worrisome. You're proud of that? Meanwhile, a pathetic base ps4 is pulling off far better backgrounds and character models. And the fact that they don't have raytracing at launch and rumors that multiplayer might be a patch? The AI looked awful the mission structure was like a 6th generation open world game. The story seems thrown together too. The whole project just seems like a sinking ship that they barely saved. Then you look at the MCC, they couldn't even do that before COVID.

It's way more than just visuals and November is right around the corner. 5 years, for this?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm still looking forward to checking out the game.

It's supposed to be massive; I'll judge it on it's merits as a game even if the graphics are mediocre.

hyperbertha

The lighting model was god awful by 2020 standards. It absolutely is proof that Xbox one is holding it back. A 12 teraflop game should look so much better. You need to realize there are aspects of visuals that can't be scaled up either, not just gameplay.

Riven326

Banned
Hey, OP. Here's Halo 4. Running on Xbox 360. A console released in 2005.

Halo-4-Campaign.jpg

Halo Infinite running on a pc in 2020:

EdokG9UU8AEniTv.jpg

What Halo Infinite was supposed to look like:

WCCFhaloinfinite-740x429.jpg

Shut the fuck up, OP. Let people vent their completely justified frustrations over this undeniable travesty of epic proportions.

Vawn

Banned
Just the way the demo person was panning the camera around like "look at this awesome scenery!" all the while shit is popping up like Far Cry Instincts in the background and the textures look like Forge in Halo 3.

The pop-in is especially concerning. How is that still a thing? That shouldn't even happen on current-gen.

oagboghi2

I guess you're right. Tis shame more fanfair wasnt made, it stole the show

I still beliece the Misery mod is still one of the most atmospheric games/mod to grace a computer.
No it didn't. We saw nothing.

Calm down everyone. Remember wallguy?
I mean everyone knows yesterday showings will be cross gen. Blame xbox one and don matrick if anything. :messenger_downcast_sweat:
Yes, I remember perfect dark zero being an underwhelming game that killed the franchise

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Can the mods close some of these? We have about 20 threads on the first page about halo, cant we just have one?

bargeparty

I just re-watched part of the demo and realized the enemies faces don't even animated. They say things and express pain, anger, etc, but there's ZERO expression.

Riven326

Banned
Can the mods close some of these? We have about 20 threads on the first page about halo, cant we just have one?
Well don't close this one. I worked my ass off posting those comparison picks for the OP. He probably hasn't even seen them yet.

killatopak

Well it has no raytracing, no MP and it was supposedly demoed on a high end PC.

Things does not bode well on release. I’ll expect them to support and update it regularly but by that time the damage is already done.

They need to vary the foliage as well... I live in north carolina and there are various types of trees along with pines. Seeing just a few of the same type of pine tree repeated over and over again looks so freaking weird. There also needs to be more dynamicism to the skybox... moving clouds, contrails, the ship should have had wind effects that disprupted the environment below. It's just baffling how stale and flat everything looked. If they wanted to call back to the original feels of a 20 year old game then mission accomplished in that regard?... I guess? :messenger_hushed:

Top Bottom