• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People need to calm down on the over reaction to the Halo demo

oldergamer

Seriously, it was one game demo. No, the Xbox is not underpowered, no Phil spencer isn't lying, no this isn't proof that the old consoles are holding things back. The only thing the demo proved was that it wasn't polished enough to show. There's still time for the game to improve, and it has a huge team involved so it will move quickly. Pop-in, textures, clipping, lighting/particle fx will be fixed before launch. The only thing missing for launch is ray-tracing which would get them a number of visual improvements.

Despite the state it was in, we saw a few things we have never seen in a Halo game before:
- Open world exploration through the entire game ( you can explore the entire ring with it being bigger than the last two games combined)
- Targetting of enemy body parts that effects animations ( headshot kills )
- actual verticality in combat. using the grappler to get on top of objects is new and less linear than all previous halo games
- some new weapons are interesting

Other items we didn't see but were mentioned after:
- 2 - 4 player split-screen is back
- Upgrades to master chief throughout the game is also new

There were a number of things missing from that demo which seem pretty obvious, but 343 is probably already aware of. If anyone here has worked on a game before, every game hits the stage of "crunch time", and during that phase, it takes the biggest leaps forward in how it looks and plays. Halo 1 was in a similar state before it first launched the original Xbox months before release. Gameplay wise, that demo was pretty solid. They just need to clean up the visuals and polish.

Anyway, I wish they would have held off showing it until more was in there ( at the very least ray tracing to show off what it would look like. its a big miss), but it is what it is. What is isn't though is the end of the world. Most people don't care about the stuff others were complaining about in the forums yesterday. People here need to relax.

ManaByte

luke.gif

Seriously, it was one game demo. No, the Xbox is not underpowered, no Phil spencer isn't lying, no this isn't proof that the old consoles are holding things back. The only thing the demo proved was that it wasn't polished enough to show. There's still time for the game to improve, and it has a huge team involved so it will move quickly. Pop-in, textures, clipping, lighting/particle fx will be fixed before launch. The only thing missing for launch is ray-tracing which would get them a number of visual improvements.

Despite the state it was in, we saw a few things we have never seen in a Halo game before:
- Open world exploration through the entire game ( you can explore the entire ring with it being bigger than the last two games combined)
- actual verticality in combat. using the grappler to get on top of objects is new and less linear than all previous halo games

There were a number of things missing from that demo which seem pretty obvious, but 343 is probably already aware of. If anyone here has worked on a game before, every game hits the stage of "crunch time", and during that phase, it takes the biggest leaps forward in how it looks and plays. Halo 1 was in a similar state before it first launched the original Xbox months before release. Gameplay wise, that demo was pretty solid. They just need to clean up the visuals and polish.

Anyway, I wish they would have held off showing it until more was in there ( at the very least ray tracing to show off what it would look like. its a big miss), but it is what it is. What is isn't though is the end of the world. Most people don't care about the stuff others were complaining about in the forums yesterday. People here need to relax.

I think they simply ran out of time and COVID wasn't helping. The more and more I rewatch the demo in 4K60 on my 4K display the more it grows on me and the more I love the gameplay. I am still excited to play it but there is no denying it still needs a lot of polish.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Regardless I'm buying it, but I fear we are going to have another MCC on our hands. The fact they wont have raytracing ready for release shows this game is behind schedule and they are racing to the finish line because of that system launch. As far as the visuals go I've resigned myself to the fact that it is a current gen game and the Series X version besides raytracing is just a better port no different than when Assassin's Creed Black Flag was ported to the PS4 early this generation.

Last edited:

Flintty

I agree OP. I get that some people are disappointed but it’s hard to pick them out from people who are just causing a storm over it because of console wars.

I like what I saw. It needs more work, for sure, but there’s some good stuff being overshadowed by people losing their shit.

The proof will be in the pudding. If the story is no better than Halo 5 then I’m probably done with Halo. Fingers crossed they get it right and deliver on a potentially excellent plan for a 10 year Halo experience.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
You don't get to dictate how people feel about a beloved franchise.

You are the one who needs to calm down. People are allowed to be upset. Despite the points you make, the game is very disappointing visually. Is that the way it will launch? Probably not (crossed fingers), but we only know what we've been shown. The fact of the matter is this is what Microsoft decided to open their biggest game showcase with on the eve of a new generation. Consumers should take it at face value.

TwistedSyn

Weren't you the guy saying you were going to laugh at people when Halo looked better than anything Sony showed ?
jAXrViM.jpg

Yes. Yes he is.

Its a marketing blunder of baffling proportions.

The senior executives were moving with a self-satisfied, smugness which their flagship property isn't even close to being capable of backing. Posting a picture of the box-art with an contented irreverence before the showcase as though we should expect to be blown away. What they showed was awful from a presentation point of view. Grass and fog that very visibly pops in and out. The actual foliage is totally static and standing perfectly vertically with no sense of mass.
Okay, maybe the demo was an early build. But then if that's the case you preface the demonstration with <Early build: Not final>. And once you've done that you don't go and shit out a bunch of trash quality screenshots of an early, pre-production build that looks no better than an early PS4 game. These are stupid marketing mistakes.

The wave of disappointment surrounding this episode is nought but Microsoft's own creation. They talked the talk as they always seem to do. Their foreplay implied they were going to blow our goddamn minds, but in the end they couldn't even get it up.

Downplaying people's concerns is missing the point. The point is that they made huge promises and delivered a mess. That is endemic of much bigger problems in their approach to marketing and their leadership.

Underpromise and overdeliver is always the way to go. And yet Microsoft consistently seem to overpromise and underdeliver. Every goddamn time.

Drewpee

Banned

You will never get a fair Xbox response on NeoGaf, if you come here for that you sill be EXTREMELY disappointed.

With that said, there is plenty of fair criticism to throw at 343 and Xbox. No, it is not nearly as bad as some on Gaf want it to be, but there are issues and they should be discussed.

For example, if that was open world gameplay they did a terrible job of showing it. If the world is huge (which I hope is the case) they did a terrible job of showing it. Leaving out RayTracing goes against one of the biggest selling points of buying an XsX and it legitimately has me concerned that the old consoles will hold back the XsX. That was not a concern before yesterday.

I still enjoyed what I saw overall but the show has led to a few concerns that I hope do not come to be true.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Halo Halo Fucking Halo..

Stalker 2? There should be fifty threads on this game!

The fuck is wrong with people.

Its because Stalker is a PC series. When Stalker 2 releases to critical acclaim they will realize how big of an exclusive that is for Microsoft.

mejin

Folks here wanna see the SX maxed out on performance when the damn thing hasn't been out yet to the public.. What's even more dumb is people comparing the event to the 2013 X1 reveal.

FunkMiller

Yes. Yes he is.

Yeah. A good lesson to learn here, is don’t start crowing and boasting until you’ve actual seen something to boast about.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
bagdad-bob.gif

I would worry more.
  • The game is coming out soon, not 2021.
  • The graphics look like a launch XB1 game despite being touted as being 'designed from the ground up for series X', which is a lie. This game was designed for the XB1 and all they are doing for series X is adding pixels.
  • They got to hand pick any part of the game to show off and they choose some random guy yelling at MC and some boring alien fights?
  • This is there #1 IP and carries the XB name.

Last edited:

Xellos

I can understand people being disappointed that Halo wasn't a next gen showcase, but taken on its own I thought it looked good enough. I'm more interested in the open world aspect than I was about anything in Halo 4 (I skipped 5).

REE Machine

Banned
Has it been confirmed its open world or is it open hub areas like god of war, witcher 3 etc

also you're right its a game demo....
Their first game demo for a game that goes gold in probably 10 weeks and thats what they have to show...? Thats their first viewing? That does not install faith.

Last edited:

Zathalus

No, the Xbox is not underpowered,
Correct.
no Phil spencer isn't lying,
Depends on what you are referring to exactly. He has a strong tendency to exaggerate.
no this isn't proof that the old consoles are holding things back.
No, this is exactly what this is proof of. This game would have looked significantly better if Series X was the only target. Look at Forza, that's proper next-gen because it's not targeting the older consoles.

That being said, the visuals have little impact on if the game is going to be good or not, but as the first exclusive look it was quite disappointing graphically.

Delt31

I was really disappointed in the graphics for Halo. It was embarrassing and i was surprised none of the giantbomb guys commented on it. I thought I was watching halo on xbox one.

turtlepowa

Banned
Much of the Halo community is panicking
Not a Halo fan myself, but why should they? Gameplay looks good as usual and graphics, well let's wait for the final game. Never expected an open world multiplayer/splitscree/coop game with native 4k@60fps to be eyecandy, but i think they can do better than what i saw yesterday.

REE Machine

Banned
Its because Stalker is a PC series. When Stalker 2 releases to critical acclaim they will realize how big of an exclusive that is for Microsoft.
Timed my man, also funny how phil says he hates money hats but then he money hats, dude is a walking contradiction. No hate though, you gotta finesse who you can but he been finessing himself most of the time

Vawn

Banned
You switch from offensive to defensive better than an NBA all-pro.

All the haters are gonna look stupid next week when a cross gen game looks better then anything shown on ps5

Screenshot-2020-07-24-at-11.41.45.jpg

halo.png

Last edited:
Not a Halo fan myself, but why should they? Gameplay looks good as usual and graphics, well let's wait for the final game. Never expected an open world multiplayer/splitscree/coop game with native 4k@60fps to be eyecandy, but i think they can do better than what i saw yesterday.
From what I read, the state of the game according to what they were shown so close to launch.

Fans had already been worried as to why they haven't been shown anything so close to launch

turtlepowa

Banned
From what I read, the state of the game according to what they were shown so close to launch.

Fans had already been worried as to why they haven't been shown anything so close to launch
From what i read the gameplay material is months old, from pc and without raytracing. People should just wait. There is enough time to bash the game when it's done.

Dr.Morris79

I guess you're right. Tis shame more fanfair wasnt made, it stole the show

I still beliece the Misery mod is still one of the most atmospheric games/mod to grace a computer.

nush

Seriously, it was one game demo. No, the Xbox 360 is not underpowered, no Yujii Naka isn't lying, no this isn't proof that the old consoles are holding things back. The only thing the demo proved was that it wasn't polished enough to show. There's still time for the game to improve, and it has a huge team involved so it will move quickly. Pop-in, textures, clipping, lighting/particle fx will be fixed before launch. The only thing missing for launch is frame-rate which would get them a number of visual improvements.
25204-70842.jpg

JTCx

These sort of meltdowns are great. Lenghty posts to telling people not to be disappointed. After the fact that this was 5 years in development, massive budget, 12 tf hardware, new engine, not being held back, better looking than any PS5 game, and their flagship title. Even ignoring all that, the gameplay shown looked boring. The world is barren and static. Oh and those pop ins after the map screen, velocity architecture looking good right there! LMAO

From what i read the gameplay material is months old, from pc and without raytracing. People should just wait. There is enough time to bash the game when it's done.
They've been waiting for years.

And the build being months old is meaningless. Most footage you will ever see before release isn't current. Betas and Demos you play also.

And saying it was on PC not Xbox... wtf does that mean? The game is launching on PC yes?

Kuranghi

But seriously, there could be many reasons why it looked subpar and how all that could be ironed out by release but at the end of the day they showed gameplay that looked worse than the first proper level of Halo CE, how the actual fudge do you do that?

They should've shown something with way more scope if its in the game, how can there not be at least one part of the supposedly huge map that is a semi-polished vertical slice, where they are testing all the game systems to make sure its coming together well?

I don't understand how that can't exist when its supposedly 2.5 months from going gold.

Halo fans get to release their frustration which is fine. Whats hilarious is that most of those threads are by people that doesn’t give a damn about Halo. Here’s that for you

tenor.gif
Perhaps we will get a cave dedicated to Brute Face Craig when the game releases

Good can come from this!

longdi

Banned
Calm down everyone. Remember wallguy?
I mean everyone knows yesterday showings will be cross gen. Blame xbox one and don matrick if anything. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Top Bottom