• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark New Trailer Released | Xbox Showcase 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
GPphkYxXUAAFinJ

Today, we got a first look at gameplay from Perfect Dark, The Initiative’s highly anticipated reboot of the secret agent series featuring the iconic Joanna Dark.

In the near future, Earth is struck by a series of global disasters, bringing ecosystems around the world to the verge of collapse. In the all-new Perfect Dark game, you experience the journey of Joanna Dark, dataDyne’s elite agent, as she hunts down the world’s most wanted criminal, Daniel Carrington, to uncover the mysteries behind the technological breakthroughs that could threaten the lives of millions of people.

The new trailer showed us Joanna’s descent into the game’s Cairo setting, offered us a glimpse at the mysteries behind this near-future ecological sci-fi story, and introduced us to a game that blends fluid traversal, gadgets, close-quarters combat, gunplay, stealth, and more to create the ultimate secret agent experience.

GPphlrvWsAAD2th

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Game looks good enough.

But an absolute bastardisation of the IP. Absolutely nothing In this is perfect dark at all other than the name in the title.

Looks like they've just attached a random game to an ip because they were worried it wouldn't sell.

As been mentioned, calling this a deus ex sequel is more apt

There is also alot of cyberpunk style fake gameplay but most games do that with their vertical slice so I'm not gonna knock it for that

Edit: I see where the narrative is going with the game and Joanna. I just want it to be clear my gripes are with the game itself resembling nothing to what I consider perfect dark to be. It has nothing to do with the looks of the character

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Looks solid! Game pass is really looking tasty atm.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Game looks good enough.

But an absolute bastardisation of the IP. Absolutely nothing In this is perfect dark at all other than the name in the title.

Looks like they've just attached a random game to an ip because they were worried it wouldn't sell.

There is also alot of cyberpunk style fake gameplay but most games do that with their vertical slice so I'm not gonna knock it for that

Edit: I see where the narrative is going with the game and Joanna. I just want it to be clear my gripes are with the game itself resembling nothing to what I consider perfect dark to be. It has nothing to do with the looks of the character

I dunno, it's a first person action-espionage adventure starring a female protagonist that utilizes futuristic tech. Seems strong to say "Absolutely nothing In this is perfect dark at all other than the name in the title".

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game looks good enough.

Agreed. Joanna is attacking Carrington which in the original game she is supposed to be an Agent of. It's also being developed by Crystal Dynamics so there is that too. Expect lots of wishywashy monologue.

Seems like a Perfect Dark reboot(again?). Not too keen on it.

StueyDuck

Agreed. Joanna is attacking Carrington which in the original game she is supposed to be an Agent of. It's also being developed by Crystal Dynamics so there is that too. Expect lots of wishywashy monologue.

Seems like a Perfect Dark reboot(again?). Not too keen on it.
But even "plot" aside. Again they are just attaching names from the original to an arbitrary sequel.

Perfect dark was essentially female James bond in a fifth element/blade runner future.

It was suave and cheesy , I mean it had a gray alien you saved called Elvis and the ultimate enemy was a weird starship trooper tyrannid bug thing

This is just deus ex 🤷‍♂️

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not convinced at all, but I desire to know more.

StueyDuck

I played the original PD and well as PD Zero. Way to respond to a pretty reasonable comment like a dickhead.
Whatever floats your boat.

"It'S an AKsHun GamE witH cHaraCter and ThiNgS , eXAcTly tHe SaME"

We both know you weren't making a good faith argument and it's purely console driven, I am console agnostic and perfect dark was thee game I played most on N64 until I got timesplitters2 to take that spot and hey look at that, made by the same people...

Needless to say I know what the game is and the game I saw on screen now is absolutely nothing like perfect dark.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Game looks good enough.

I get it, the original PD was a straight up hardcore FPS game. Goldeneye 2. None of this Mirror's Edge stuff and the like.

But I think the franchise has the room to change and adapt. And maybe it should, because trying to be a straight up hardcore FPS in this market is a different beast than in the N64 days, which is the last time PD happened.

I'm not counting PD0 of course.

But even "plot" aside. Again they are just attaching names from the original to an arbitrary sequel.

Perfect dark was essentially female James bond in a fifth element/blade runner future.

It was suave and cheesy , I mean it had a gray alien you saved called Elvis and the ultimate enemy was a weird starship trooper tyrannid bug thing

I really don't think we've seen enough of the game to draw these conclusions. You didn't even know aliens were in PD until some time into the game, nevermind the first trailer.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Seems more like a rewrite of the first game but things seem to be flipped on their head. Joanna is indeed supposed to be a Bond archetype but there is just too much talking going on. Probably is a Deus Ex game at it's core but just using Perfect Dark name to generate more hype.

Top Bottom