• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark New Trailer Released | Xbox Showcase 2024

I think development for both Perfect Dark and Redfall began before Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda, so they were both already in production.

I'm sure Arkane would have preferred to have cancelled Redfall and been moved over to PD though.

Initiative was formed in 2018 , Bethesda was purchased in 2021.

Ozriel

M$FT
Lots of assumptions in there. It is a game. And traditionally, games and movies have good looking lead characters to increase the appeal of the game/movie. In recent history, female leads have been made to be intentionally ugly for ideological reasons. You are perfectly aware of this, but seem to be ok with it. That is fine for you. I am tired of it and I vote with my wallet. What is worse, is when this is done to a previously good looking character, such as Joanna Dark or MJ from Spiderman. These developers can't leave existing characters alone. This uglification of female game characters, in particular, existing ones which previously were good looking, is what is sick.

Movies, yes.
Games, not really.

The main character isn’t even ‘ugly’ in the sense of it. And your complaints are weird since it’s being played 99% in first person.

FunkMiller FunkMiller covered it perfectly. She looks perfectly fine

Edit: it makes you wonder, though, if this is the game they wanted to make, why didn't they put Arkane Austin on this instead of contracting it out to an external dev? Arkane was on the payroll and knows how to make games like this, but no, give them one they don't know how to make and then shut them down.

The same Arkane that was tied up making Redfall?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
My honest opinion is that she looks like almost a direct reference to Olivia Wilde. We just saw one shot of her shot from underneath her. People should just wait a bit until they see a few more shots. We haven't even seen her emote or talk yet. If she has a huge man jaw, everyone will know. I don't think you can really tell at this point that anything is wrong.

I don't mind people bringing it up though I guess. Maybe it'll make the devs take note. At most it would just need very minor adjustments. She looks like 90% like Olivia Wilde.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think development for both Perfect Dark and Redfall began before Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda, so they were both already in production.

I'm sure Arkane would have preferred to have cancelled Redfall and been moved over to PD though.
Based on the timelines, Arkane was hoping Redfall would be cancelled after the 2020 acquisition, and the AAAA dev said they were partnering with CD in 2021. I assume not much was done before then considering they had to go external and in all likelihood this is a 2026 game.

So yea it was possible but probably didn’t happen because MS didn’t want to meddle much in the way Bethesda was operating (although they should have, clearly).

Not a huge deal but interesting.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes, the game they didn’t want to make and was hoping would be canceled. Maybe it should have been canceled and the devs moved to this considering it’s a perfect fit for them.

In what way is it a ‘better fit’ for Arkane compared to Crystal Dynamics? it has immersive sim elements but it isn’t an immersive sim.

Either way, if Redfall were scrapped, the sensible thing would have been to pivot the staff to making yet another first party title. Having Crystal Dynamics available helped MS make Perfect Dark without drawing from first party teams.

PS: the Bethesda acquisition was in 2021, not 2020.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
In what way is it a ‘better fit’ for Arkane compared to Crystal Dynamics? it has immersive sim elements but it isn’t an immersive sim.

Either way, if Redfall were scrapped, the sensible thing would have been to pivot the staff to making yet another first party title. Having Crystal Dynamics available helped MS make Perfect Dark without drawing from first party teams.
Crystal Dynamics is literally the perfect pick because The Initiative is literally led by ex-CD staff. They know the workflow, the culture. This was likely critical in not only saving PD, but helping even establish the studio itself.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Can you elaborate on that comment?
In that trailer they are using a Playstation dpad. Xbox has their own dpad image that the entire industry has to use. I have had multiple managers look at that video and they all agree that the dpad is a Playstation dpad. This would be a huge V1 violation which would require an immediate fix. V1's are the most severe bugs.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
The weapons, bots, and music was spectacular in Perfect Dark. How dare you.
How Dare You Greta GIF

clarky

Gold Member
In that trailer they are using a Playstation dpad. Xbox has their own dpad image that the entire industry has to use. I have had multiple managers look at that video and they all agree that the dpad is a Playstation dpad. This would be a huge V1 violation which would require an immediate fix. V1's are the most severe bugs.

Playstation version confirmed.

miklonus

Too much of what I saw in the gameplay made me think of other games, and less of Perfect Dark. Too much parkour, being an agent when she was more of just a shooter. I guess that's what happens when you haven't released a game in 20 years. "Being an agent" meant the spy shit that they showed. I'm old and I have/had Perfect Dark all the way back in 2000, expansion pak and all, but this trailer seemed...somewhat not like Joanna.

miklonus

Pretty much the way I feel about it too. Looks good but nothing like PD. I guess I don't mind though because the original game is 25 years old so I don't expect it to be much like the original, although I wish it was.

For the people complaining about her looks, I agree that she's not attractive and kind of manly but she was like that in the original game too.
Sub. Sub Sub Sub. She wasn't manly or unattractive in 2000. I know you saw the commercial where she's getting out of the shower to put her suit on. No one behind that commercial was trying to put across a manly image in people's minds. Come on now.

After a few more days this trailer has grown on me.

I just hope they lean into the gadgets…I also hope we get wide linear hub based stuff…lots of character progression…

And it wouldn’t be perfect dark without a good portion of the game being set at night in a futuristic city….

I also hope we get an interesting cast of characters like a true “bond” inspired title

DavJay

50+ devs, each making at least 6 figures times 6 years not including other stuff like maintenance, partners, marketing and studio expenses. They need a winner here.

clarky

Gold Member
50+ devs, each making at least 6 figures times 6 years not including other stuff like maintenance, partners, marketing and studio expenses. They need a winner here.
You just described pretty much any studio on the planet.

Ozriel

M$FT

50+ employees in The Initiative. You also forgot the Crystal Dynamics devs.

But none of this is out of the ordinary for AAA game development.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My honest opinion is that she looks like almost a direct reference to Olivia Wilde. We just saw one shot of her shot from underneath her. People should just wait a bit until they see a few more shots. We haven't even seen her emote or talk yet. If she has a huge man jaw, everyone will know. I don't think you can really tell at this point that anything is wrong.

I don't mind people bringing it up though I guess. Maybe it'll make the devs take note. At most it would just need very minor adjustments. She looks like 90% like Olivia Wilde.
Tm4F6Ir.jpeg

Here's another.

The Olivia Wilde comparison is warranted. I'd certainly drill the fuck out of this chick. take her out to dinner and treat her respectfully.

PnCIa

I played the original religiously back then. To this day, I believe I can identify every weapon by its sound. Best sounding gun: K7 Avenger. That shit was so good.
Anyway, we are not going to get a game in that style anymore. But this looked actually interesting, kinda like a Mirrors Edge/Deus Ex/Perfect Dark/Cyberpunk Mashup. I want to see how the whole game flows, but it was interesting.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
To me, it looks like it's trying to do too much. It also doesn't look much like Perfect Dark to me. I'll probably give it a shot. I played zero after all and this can only be better.

Ozriel

M$FT
Mildly interesting how The Cockatrice The Cockatrice dropped the Xbox wire article that gave some more detail about the Perfect Dark trailer that confirms it’s a reboot, gives some background about the setting, the character and some of the inspirations behind the game…and none of the self-professed ‘Perfect Dark super fans’ engaged with the post or referenced the article.

Anyways, reposted

Mildly interesting how The Cockatrice The Cockatrice dropped the Xbox wire article that gave some more detail about the Perfect Dark trailer that confirms it’s a reboot, gives some background about the setting, the character and some of the inspirations behind the game…and none of the self-professed ‘Perfect Dark super fans’ engaged with the post or referenced the article.

Anyways, reposted

Gaf and most people would rather focus on the negative these days.

Js562

Anyways, reposted

Damn I wanted some multiplayer at least. Still it's sounding good

Top Bottom