• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore Spins Xbox 360 Bombing In Japan

yoopoo

Banned
GI: As far as your launch in Japan you sold less than half of the 360 consoles that you did the original Xbox at launch. Are you guys satisfied with that?

Moore: The numbers that anybody has given so far are speculation because we haven’t given any numbers, and I think Famitsu has maybe gone around and counted and then extrapolated. Because it’s a pretty unsophisticated market over there for recording. Yeah, I’m satisfied. It’s a solid if not spectacular start. But the way we’ve looked at Japan this time around is over a three-to-five year period developing deep role playing games. Clearly Sakaguchi with Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon being very important. Miziguchi with Ninety-Nine Nights coming up in the spring.

And as I’m fond of saying, it’s a marathon, not a sprint over there. While you would like to just walk it out of the gates, realistically, for an American company going in taking on Sony and Nintendo in their backyard coming off a disappointing first generation, and going in there and having to prove ourselves all over again. And the one thing, historically, you can bet on is you produce particularly a role playing game that is fresh, innovative, and from somebody the quality of Sakaguchi - that moves hardware. We’re still a ways away from delivering the first one, which will be Blue Dragon. Then it’s going to be great because probably less than six months later…

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200601/N06.0106.1235.53927.htm

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
yoopoo said:
Moore: The numbers that anybody has given so far are speculation because we haven’t given any numbers, and I think Famitsu has maybe gone around and counted and then extrapolated. Because it’s a pretty unsophisticated market over there for recording

WOW! He thinks the number may be inaccurate. Gotta hand it to Moore, no one thought he was going to spin it like this.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
yoopoo said:
Moore: The numbers that anybody has given so far are speculation because we haven’t given any numbers, and I think Famitsu has maybe gone around and counted and then extrapolated. Because it’s a pretty unsophisticated market over there for recording.
errr...what?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
pmre.gif
pmrext.gif
pmre.gif
pmrext.gif

pmrext.gif
pmre.gif
pmrext.gif
pmre.gif

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
"Yeah, I’m satisfied. It’s a solid if not spectacular start"

edit: yeah that shit aint work safe
ryudo edit: it wasnt a you know whater ! I swear !

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
numbers? yeah i dont even know if the japanese know how to read nevertheless count. There is no reason to trust these crazy "numbers".

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yamauchi said:
I just have to ask since I've seen it a lot. What was he responding to here?

johntv asked something like "In Japan, you guys are not releasing the, may I say this, the 'Retard Pack'"

Peter rolls his eyes immediately after he says the term

So the 360's success is riding on a few new original (read; unknown) RPGs? Surely MS has something better than that up their sleeve.

yoopoo said:
And as I’m fond of saying, it’s a marathon, not a sprint over there. While you would like to just walk it out of the gates, realistically, for an American company going in taking on Sony and Nintendo in their backyard coming off a disappointing first generation, and going in there and having to prove ourselves all over again.

I'd say he's being pretty honest, despite the bolded part.

Ark-AMN

Banned
ironichaos said:
What I'm curious is, why didn't GameInformer follow-up with a question asking him to cut it with the bullshit?

lol, in game journalism, the last thing you want to do is alienate someone as powerful as MS. Thats why no one asks tough questions, because most of these publishers/developers will just forget about you in the future and go someplace else to promote their wares.

I think their philosophy regarding game journalists are "you need us more than we need you", so thats how they expect to be dealt with.

Breaking News: Peter Ali-Moore Hails Strong Xbox 360 Preformance, Looks Forward to Easter

ministerofinfo1xp.jpg

In a passionate interview with Game Intelligence magazine, Peter Ali-Moore revealed that Microsoft's next gen system, the Xbox 360, has taken over Japan. "We felt it was only a matter of time before the units sold out," a lively Ali-Moore told GI. "The Japanese have always been very tech savvy, and they have uniformly chosen the 360 over the more inferior systems that riddle Japan's market."

Despite initial numbers which suggest the system's launch was somewhat unimpressive, Moore said "we truly cannot rely on the Japanese and their projection numbers, all of which have turned out to be false. We feel the metric system is to blame." Studies conducted by the various institutions clearly dispute the wacky jappy numbers. "The Japanese reported that the 360 sold around 12,000 units last week," said Dr. Major Nelson, Head Mathematician of the University of Xenon. "The problem is they mixed up their commas with zeros, meaning instead of putting a 0 after the 12, they put a comma, thus creating the number 12,000. In reality 120,000 units were sold in one day."

Although the Xbox 360 has been a hit amongst the younger, tech-savvy Japanese, it has also attracted many non gamers. According to Dr. Nelson's report, the number of Japanese women, handicaps, and Christians who have purchased the system is far more than that of any other console. "No other company speaks to the common Japanese man and woman more than the Xbox 360," said Ali-Moore. "The Japanese man says 'hey, I need a game that speaks to my fantasies.' What other game can speak to a Japanese man's fantasies better than King Kong? The Japanese woman says 'I need a game that can tell me that I'm just as tough as the guys.' Well, what better game for a Japanese woman than Perfect Dark 0?"

"Being number one is very important to Microsoft," said Ali-Moore in conclusion. "And we are glad Japan has secured our next gen win."
f911monks3na.jpg

Above: Two Japanese Christians in line for Xbox 360 units read signs that say the unit is sold out.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
PhoenixDark said:
Breaking News: Peter Ali-Moore Hails Strong Xbox 360 Preformance, Looks Forward to Easter

ministerofinfo1xp.jpg

In a passionate interview with Game Intelligence magazine, Peter Ali-Moore revealed that Microsoft's next gen system, the Xbox 360, has taken over Japan. "We felt it was only a matter of time before the units sold out," a lively Ali-Moore told GI. "The Japanese have always been very tech savvy, and they have uniformly chosen the 360 over the more inferior systems that riddle Japan's market."

Despite initial numbers which suggest the system's launch was somewhat unimpressive, Moore said "we truly cannot rely on the Japanese and their projection numbers, all of which have turned out to be false. We feel the metric system is to blame." Studies conducted by the various institutions clearly dispute the wacky jappy numbers. "The Japanese reported that the 360 sold around 12,000 units last week," said Dr. Major Nelson, Head Mathematician of the University of Xenon. "The problem is they mixed up their commas with zeros, meaning instead of putting a 0 after the 12, they put a comma, thus creating the number 12,000. In reality 120,000 units were sold in one day."

Although the Xbox 360 has been a hit amongst the younger, tech-savvy Japanese, it has also attracted many non gamers. According to Dr. Nelson's report, the number of Japanese women, handicaps, and Christians who have purchased the system is far more than that of any other console. "No other company speaks to the common Japanese man and woman more than the Xbox 360," said Ali-Moore. "The Japanese man says 'hey, I need a game that speaks to my fantasies.' What other game can speak to a Japanese man's fantasies better than King Kong? The Japanese woman says 'I need a game that can tell me that I'm just as tough as the guys.' Well, what better game for a Japanese woman than Perfect Dark 0?"

"Being number one is very important to Microsoft," said Ali-Moore in conclusion. "And we are glad Japan has secured our next gen win."
f911monks3na.jpg

Above: Two Japanese Christians in line for Xbox 360 units read signs that say the unit is sold out.

:lol :lol :lol

Yamauchi

Banned
Wario64 said:
johntv asked something like "In Japan, you guys are not releasing the, may I say this, the 'Retard Pack'"

Peter rolls his eyes immediately after he says the term
Is there a video of this?

Amir0x

Banned
i think he's right, we should definitely wait for numbers from MICROSOFT CORP™ to find out the truth behind the situation in Japan. Famitsu, those types of magazines, they traditionally find out numbers by determining if the system is a.) american and b.) Xbox, and then they extrapolate numbers from the number of people that exchanged money for the 360 unit. MICROSOFT CORP™ numbers are calculated in a far more elegant and accurate manner.

Fusebox

Banned
What I would have liked to seen him say:

"Yeah well we should never have released there anyway until the US and EU markets had full 360 penetration, but what Gatesy wants Gatesy gets."

So it's not only "solid" it's even "spectacular"? Half of what was considered a brutal flop? Is it because they expected to sell nothing at all? Or is this the art of spinning, making it out more successful the more you talk about it?

GhaleonEB

In a few weeks they will have sold all 100k or so of the initial shipment, and can then announce "XBox 360 sells out in Japan!!" Watch for it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GhaleonEB said:
In a few weeks they will have sold all 100k or so of the initial shipment, and can then announce "XBox 360 sells out in Japan!!" Watch for it.

i thought they shipped around 150,000

Top Bottom