• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore Spins Xbox 360 Bombing In Japan

ParkPace

xbox360japanlaugh1sd.jpg

Above: Japanese gamers aren't laughing at Microsoft. They're laughing with Microsoft. Really.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I wonder how before the Xbox 360 is selling 360 units per week?

Raven.

Banned
East Clintwood said:
So it's not only "solid" it's even "spectacular"? Half of what was considered a brutal flop? Is it because they expected to sell nothing at all? Or is this the art of spinning, making it out more successful the more you talk about it?
:lol

Hero

Unsophisticated? What the hell? We can probably count a good percentage of hardware sales off of the launch event pictures we've been getting. Yeah, it's really hard to count less than 100,000 units. Must be a stupid decimal point error. I guess that software reports we also get on a weekly basis that don't have any Xbox 360 titles in the top 10 are wrong too.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
PhoenixDark said:
Breaking News: Peter Ali-Moore Hails Strong Xbox 360 Preformance, Looks Forward to Easter

ministerofinfo1xp.jpg

In a passionate interview with Game Intelligence magazine, Peter Ali-Moore revealed that Microsoft's next gen system, the Xbox 360, has taken over Japan. "We felt it was only a matter of time before the units sold out," a lively Ali-Moore told GI. "The Japanese have always been very tech savvy, and they have uniformly chosen the 360 over the more inferior systems that riddle Japan's market."

Despite initial numbers which suggest the system's launch was somewhat unimpressive, Moore said "we truly cannot rely on the Japanese and their projection numbers, all of which have turned out to be false. We feel the metric system is to blame." Studies conducted by the various institutions clearly dispute the wacky jappy numbers. "The Japanese reported that the 360 sold around 12,000 units last week," said Dr. Major Nelson, Head Mathematician of the University of Xenon. "The problem is they mixed up their commas with zeros, meaning instead of putting a 0 after the 12, they put a comma, thus creating the number 12,000. In reality 120,000 units were sold in one day."

Although the Xbox 360 has been a hit amongst the younger, tech-savvy Japanese, it has also attracted many non gamers. According to Dr. Nelson's report, the number of Japanese women, handicaps, and Christians who have purchased the system is far more than that of any other console. "No other company speaks to the common Japanese man and woman more than the Xbox 360," said Ali-Moore. "The Japanese man says 'hey, I need a game that speaks to my fantasies.' What other game can speak to a Japanese man's fantasies better than King Kong? The Japanese woman says 'I need a game that can tell me that I'm just as tough as the guys.' Well, what better game for a Japanese woman than Perfect Dark 0?"

"Being number one is very important to Microsoft," said Ali-Moore in conclusion. "And we are glad Japan has secured our next gen win."
f911monks3na.jpg

Above: Two Japanese Christians in line for Xbox 360 units read signs that say the unit is sold out.

sidesplittingmario.jpg

PhoenixDark said:
Breaking News: Peter Ali-Moore Hails Strong Xbox 360 Preformance, Looks Forward to Easter

ministerofinfo1xp.jpg

In a passionate interview with Game Intelligence magazine, Peter Ali-Moore revealed that Microsoft's next gen system, the Xbox 360, has taken over Japan. "We felt it was only a matter of time before the units sold out," a lively Ali-Moore told GI. "The Japanese have always been very tech savvy, and they have uniformly chosen the 360 over the more inferior systems that riddle Japan's market."

Despite initial numbers which suggest the system's launch was somewhat unimpressive, Moore said "we truly cannot rely on the Japanese and their projection numbers, all of which have turned out to be false. We feel the metric system is to blame." Studies conducted by the various institutions clearly dispute the wacky jappy numbers. "The Japanese reported that the 360 sold around 12,000 units last week," said Dr. Major Nelson, Head Mathematician of the University of Xenon. "The problem is they mixed up their commas with zeros, meaning instead of putting a 0 after the 12, they put a comma, thus creating the number 12,000. In reality 120,000 units were sold in one day."

Although the Xbox 360 has been a hit amongst the younger, tech-savvy Japanese, it has also attracted many non gamers. According to Dr. Nelson's report, the number of Japanese women, handicaps, and Christians who have purchased the system is far more than that of any other console. "No other company speaks to the common Japanese man and woman more than the Xbox 360," said Ali-Moore. "The Japanese man says 'hey, I need a game that speaks to my fantasies.' What other game can speak to a Japanese man's fantasies better than King Kong? The Japanese woman says 'I need a game that can tell me that I'm just as tough as the guys.' Well, what better game for a Japanese woman than Perfect Dark 0?"

"Being number one is very important to Microsoft," said Ali-Moore in conclusion. "And we are glad Japan has secured our next gen win."
f911monks3na.jpg

Above: Two Japanese Christians in line for Xbox 360 units read signs that say the unit is sold out.

That is the funniest shit ever. The last line seals it.

They needed to launch with more japanese content. MS is counting too much on hype from japanese games that wont even release for a long while.

Joico

After reading that I'm utterly speechless at the superior bullshitting/spin technique Peter Moore has bestowed upon us in that interview....

Mihyaeru

Hm, I wouldn't be so quick to laugh just because of the launch. They didn't have much great stuff at launch for 360 geared towards Japanese gamers and being the predecessor to Xbox 1... Honestly, deep down, I don't think even MS is surprised. But they do have some great Japanese type titles down the pipeline, and I agree with him when he says "it’s a marathon, not a sprint over there" And it looks like there working at it. It's an uphill thing for them obviously. They are giving effort and looking in a way that I hope will be progressive for them. Also if they would have looked at it as a sprint instead of a marathon they probably would have rushed the games, they would have received little/no acclaim and everyone in here would still be laughing. Only in that case 360 would probably have been written off in Japanese gamers minds and considered a failure or worse as bad as Xbox 1 was over there. But right now I think a lot of Japanese gamers are looking forward to some games that are coming to 360 and may pick up a 360 if these games get nice reviews and word of mouth, it could really pick up for 360 if they do things generously (IE. keep at it), effectively (marketing, art direction,) and correctly (quality, fun, innovative & creative games..).

yoopoo said:
Moore: The numbers that anybody has given so far are speculation because we haven’t given any numbers, and I think Famitsu has maybe gone around and counted and then extrapolated. Because it’s a pretty unsophisticated market over there for recording.

haha that is just great. This man really is a master. I think he is trying to say that the Japanese can't count and we shoulda tricked em with the Retard pack. If anybody can save the Dreamc...XBox 360 it's him!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
It's a marathon where the guy that runs faster from the start doesn't lose steam (on the contrary). So it is really more of a very long sprint.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Hero said:
Unsophisticated? What the hell? We can probably count a good percentage of hardware sales off of the launch event pictures we've been getting. Yeah, it's really hard to count less than 100,000 units. Must be a stupid decimal point error. I guess that software reports we also get on a weekly basis that don't have any Xbox 360 titles in the top 10 are wrong too.
It's because Japanese people count in 10K units. When they say 1.2 ten thousand consoles for the week it confuses MS.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mihyaeru said:
Hm, I wouldn't be so quick to laugh just because of the launch. They didn't have much great stuff at launch for 360 geared towards Japanese gamers and being the predecessor to Xbox 1... Honestly, deep down, I don't think even MS is surprised. But they do have some great Japanese type titles down the pipeline, and I agree with him when he says "it’s a marathon, not a sprint over there" And it looks like there working at it. It's an uphill thing for them obviously. They are giving effort and looking in a way that I hope will be progressive for them. Also if they would have looked at it as a sprint instead of a marathon they probably would have rushed the games, they would have received little/no acclaim and everyone in here would still be laughing. Only in that case 360 would probably have been written off in Japanese gamers minds and considered a failure or worse as bad as Xbox 1 was over there. But right now I think a lot of Japanese gamers are looking forward to some games that are coming to 360 and may pick up a 360 if these games get nice reviews and word of mouth, it could really pick up for 360 if they do things generously (IE. keep at it), effectively (marketing, art direction,) and correctly (quality, fun, innovative & creative games..).

Your PR is much less pathetic than Peter Moore's. Good job!

Zaphod

sp0rsk said:
numbers? yeah i dont even know if the japanese know how to read nevertheless count. There is no reason to trust these crazy "numbers".

They read bakards out there so I doubt they can count straight.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Nintendo's next press release will read "X units out there in consumer's hands, precisely counted by the very trustworthy, fine people at media create".

Fuzzy

elostyle said:
Nintendo's next press release will read "X units out there in consumer's hands, precisely counted by the very trustworthy, fine people at media create".
Taking shots at both Sony and MS in one statement, that takes talent. :lol

sangreal

We all know the 360 is not selling well in Japan and Moore didn't claim otherwise. If the Japanese numbers are as accurate as you all believe, however, why did Famitsu report 50% more sales than Media Create for the first week? They can't both be accurate.

PhoenixDark said:

ministerofinfo1xp.jpg

f911monks3na.jpg

:lol MG

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
sangreal said:
We all know the 360 is not selling well in Japan and Moore didn't claim otherwise. If the Japanese numbers are as accurate as you all believe, however, why did Famitsu report 50% more sales than Media Create for the first week? They can't both be accurate.

what

Yamauchi

Banned
sangreal said:
What?

Famitsu: 62,135
Media Create: 43,970
His criticism of Famitsu is valid. What he fails to address are that there are at least 3 major groups tracking Japanese sales, and all have indicated it is a bomb.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
sangreal said:
What?

Famitsu: 62,135
Media Create: 43,970

That's still a shitty launch. It failed to compete with the FIRST X-box.

And Peter apparantly DOES think it was great.

It’s a solid if not spectacular start.

heidern

sangreal said:
If the Japanese numbers are as accurate as you all believe, however, why did Famitsu report 50% more sales than Media Create for the first week? They can't both be accurate.
But dont you see? Peter Moore is telling the truth. The kind of backwards Famitsu people who hurt the industry by proxy with their inflated Nintendogs scores are the kind of people to make similar errors with their sales counts. I applaud Peter Moore for his honesty in denouncing misinformation and acknowledging the spectacularly bad sales of the x360 in Japan. I think all you fanboys in this thread(you know who you are) should be ashamed of yourselves for twisting his words to try and make him look bad.

sangreal

elostyle said:
This must clearly mean that sales are way higher than 60k..... or maybe not?

I'm not defending the xbox launch, I'm defending Moore's attack on the accuracy of the publically released Japanese numbers.

Oblivion said:
That's still a shitty launch. It failed to compete with the FIRST X-box.

I certainly didn't claim otherwise. My first sentence said its not selling well. I guess I should've used GAF terms like BOMBA.

Yamauchi said:
His criticism of Famitsu is valid. What he fails to address are that there are at least 3 major groups tracking Japanese sales, and all have indicated it is a bomb.

And Peter apparantly DOES think it was great.

When taken in-context all that he was indicating is that it was in-line with his expectations, not that they are moving a lot of units.

Who cares about Famitsu? Media Create's numbers are not impressive at all either. The fact that he would even credit Famitsu's numbers over MC's shows he had a clear agenda to spin this. People see through.

It is our duty to laugh. Back to the laughing. :lol

Yamauchi

Banned
sangreal said:
When taken in-context all that he was indicating is that it was in-line with his expectations, not that they are moving a lot of units.

sangreal

Yamauchi said:

and? "a solid, if not spectacular start" is completely relative to one's expectations. If I expected it to move 5,000 units then selling 15,000 would be a spectacular start. That statement is meaningless.

Key points:
a) He never says they sold more units than publically reported -- only that the publically reported numbers may not be accurate
b) He never said they sold a lot of units
c) He never said the launch was better than the original xbox

Fuzzy

sangreal said:
Because selling less than half of their intial shipment in the first four weeks (which are the busiest weeks of the year) are in-line with his expectations.
pmre.gif

sangreal

Yamauchi said:
No, it's not. Especially not relative to the interviewer's question.

Yes, it is. Especially relative to the interviewer's question which was "Are you satisfied?."

Satisfaction is, again, completely relative to one's expectations.

Is he being honest about his expecations? Who knows, but that is the only real question that arises from his comments.

Fuzzy said:
Because selling less than half of their intial shipment in the first four weeks (which are the busiest weeks of the year) are in-line with his expectations.

Probably not, but noone here has any evidence of what his expectations were, other than what he talks about in the interview (his comments on shipments are probably a good place to start). I'm not trying to argue that he is being honest about his expectations and satisfaction. That isn't what most of the bashing in this thread is about.

wow some hardcore damage control in here.

If that isn't spinning I don't know what is. Instead of trying to explain why it wasn't spectacular he starts pointing fingers at the people who are counting. WTF, that is just bullshit.

Go back a few pages and you will see that Nintendo issued an official apology for their recent shipping problems. Actually admitting problems takes class.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
:lol Well Famitsu's "inaccurate" numbers are lower than MediaCreate's "lies"

PhoenixDark said:

:lol :lol :lol . Fucking awesome

But the way we’ve looked at Japan this time around is over a three-to-five year period developing deep role playing games

Wow I'd find that quite offensive if I lived in Japan. You'd think that's all the Japanese buy going off that comment.

It's almost like saying... "But the way we’ve looked at the UK this time around is over a three-to-five year period developing deep car modding games".

or

"But the way we’ve looked at the US this time around is over a three-to-five year period developing deep sports games".

You'll need more than that MS.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
sangreal:

> We all know the 360 is not selling well in Japan and Moore didn't claim otherwise.

But he implied that the numbers are false and that Xbox 360 performs better in Japan than people may think - knowing full well that it's a huge flop.

> If the Japanese numbers are as accurate as you all believe, however, why did Famitsu
> report 50% more sales than Media Create for the first week? They can't both be accurate.

I'm sure if NPD had some competition you'd see similar inconsistencies in US numbers. Anyway, is it really a good point to raise considering that Famitsu reported the highest numbers? Xbox 360 bombed in Japan and PR scum like Peter Moore makes me all the more happy that it did.

callous

Best laugh I've had all day. Thanks, GAF!

I can't believe he's pretty much saying straight out that the Japanese can't count.

cybamerc said:
I'm sure if NPD had some competition you'd see similar inconsistencies in US numbers. Anyway, is it really a good point to raise considering that Famitsu reported the highest numbers? Xbox 360 bombed in Japan and PR scum like Peter Moore makes me all the more happy that it did.

I am just curious but how was Peter Moore supposed to respond? Announce XBOX 360 is a complete and utter failure despite launching less than a month ago? Declare that they shall be pulling out of Japan, N. America, and European territories? I'm sure a few board members here would LOVE to get that announcement but its not going to happen. He only stated that there might be some inconsistancies in the way sales are tallied in Japan. He didn't say that the XBOX 360 was a HUGE success or that it is blowing away the competition. He only mentioned that he was personally satisfied.

But I suppose that makes him scum and he should be banished from the earth. I am just so glad that the success of the 360 does not hinge on Japan and that the system will get great games no matter how much message board hate is spread. :)

Peter Moore said:
And as I’m fond of saying, it’s a marathon, not a sprint over there. While you would like to just walk it out of the gates, realistically, for an American company going in taking on Sony and Nintendo in their backyard coming off a disappointing first generation, and going in there and having to prove ourselves all over again. And the one thing, historically, you can bet on is you produce particularly a role playing game that is fresh, innovative, and from somebody the quality of Sakaguchi - that moves hardware. We’re still a ways away from delivering the first one, which will be Blue Dragon. Then it’s going to be great because probably less than six months later…

OH YOU ARE SCUM!!! ADMIT DEFEAT ALREADY!!!!! XBOX 360 BOMBA!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom