• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore Spins Xbox 360 Bombing In Japan

This is ridiculous.

There is absolutely no defense for this response, I'm sorry. Blaming the tracking systems? I don't care if they sold twice as many, the launch was a complete failure in Japan. There's no escaping that.

That being said, I agree that it would be stupid for Microsoft to admit that, but his approach was 100 times worse. He should just have said that it's not as well as they hoped, but that the worldwide launch shows that they are committed to Japan, even when they passed up guaranteed sales in other regions and say something like the customer satisfaction of those with the 360 is far higher than the original Xbox. And then topped it off with a we will redouble or efforts and work with the publishers, retailers, and developers to give Japan the best system with the best games and the best service ever.

And, I seriously wouldn't hold this talking out of his ass against him that much, if the XFans weren't always harping on Sony's lies and excuses, when for the past year, Microsoft has gone (IMO) far beyond any spin or "deception" people have accused Sony of.

PR folks job is to put their system in the best light possible and bend the truth to their own favor and to make whatever promises are necessary to get asses in the seats, without outright lying or being completely disengenious.

Last Hope

Well, I sure didn't exepect Moore to spin it this way. I though he would say something like, we expected this to start out slow and pick up steam with the handful of RPGs we have planned over the next few years.

This is similar to people sayiing, wait til DOA4 hits. Now that we know it did not move any Xboxen, now they are saying, wait til N3 and eM hits. When those bomb, it will be wait for LO and BD.

I think the poor showing for the first big game [DOA4] is a showing that 360 will probably only sell 3m units in Japan over its lifetime. I expect sales per week to be higher than that of the Xbox at least and that is how it will catch up.

Dave Long

Banned
Wouldn't the Japanese public react better if Moore said something like, "We realize we haven't yet found the right mix of products for the Japanese consumer. We're going to continue working hard to achieve that goal. We're sorry to those consumers that haven't yet found the games they're looking for to make Xbox 360 attractive."

I mean, anything like an apology would probably be better than reiterating PR marketing speak.

Last Hope said:
Well, I sure didn't exepect Moore to spin it this way. I though he would say something like, we expected this to start out slow and pick up steam with the handful of RPGs we have planned over the next few years.

It's Moore, he also believes the Xbox wasn't a bigger success with casuals because the console is black. Don't expect much from the guy. In each interview you're bound to find atleast one gem of a comment.

Peter Moore said:
And as I’m fond of saying, it’s a marathon, not a sprint over there.
Well, if every week they can manage to "marathon" the 12,000 sold in a holiday week with an anticipated game within a month from launch, they could hit a million in mid-2007.

Of course we poke fun, but I wouldn't want to have to have an answer for such a question in his position.

McPhineas

It's a shame -- I'm sure if Peter Moore had realized that by putting a positive spin on the Xbox 360 launch he would be subjecting himself to mockery by the all-important "japanophile video game message board users" demographic he would have done things differently.

McPhineas said:
It's a shame -- I'm sure if Peter Moore had realized that by putting a positive spin on the Xbox 360 launch he would be subjecting himself to mockery by the all-important "japanophile video game message board users" demographic he would have done things differently.

You don't think he could have handled it better?There are far better ways of spinning the X360 into a positive light than questioning sales figures

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
DarkMage619 said:
I am just curious but how was Peter Moore supposed to respond?
Instead of questioning Famitsu's numbers - which may not be entirely accurate but most likely provide a reasonable indication of Xbox 360's performance in Japan - he could have just said that they're happy with the sales and see a great future for the system in the country. But he had to act like an ass.

Meier

PhoenixDark said:
Breaking News: Peter Ali-Moore Hails Strong Xbox 360 Preformance, Looks Forward to Easter

ministerofinfo1xp.jpg

In a passionate interview with Game Intelligence magazine, Peter Ali-Moore revealed that Microsoft's next gen system, the Xbox 360, has taken over Japan. "We felt it was only a matter of time before the units sold out," a lively Ali-Moore told GI. "The Japanese have always been very tech savvy, and they have uniformly chosen the 360 over the more inferior systems that riddle Japan's market."

Despite initial numbers which suggest the system's launch was somewhat unimpressive, Moore said "we truly cannot rely on the Japanese and their projection numbers, all of which have turned out to be false. We feel the metric system is to blame." Studies conducted by the various institutions clearly dispute the wacky jappy numbers. "The Japanese reported that the 360 sold around 12,000 units last week," said Dr. Major Nelson, Head Mathematician of the University of Xenon. "The problem is they mixed up their commas with zeros, meaning instead of putting a 0 after the 12, they put a comma, thus creating the number 12,000. In reality 120,000 units were sold in one day."

Although the Xbox 360 has been a hit amongst the younger, tech-savvy Japanese, it has also attracted many non gamers. According to Dr. Nelson's report, the number of Japanese women, handicaps, and Christians who have purchased the system is far more than that of any other console. "No other company speaks to the common Japanese man and woman more than the Xbox 360," said Ali-Moore. "The Japanese man says 'hey, I need a game that speaks to my fantasies.' What other game can speak to a Japanese man's fantasies better than King Kong? The Japanese woman says 'I need a game that can tell me that I'm just as tough as the guys.' Well, what better game for a Japanese woman than Perfect Dark 0?"

"Being number one is very important to Microsoft," said Ali-Moore in conclusion. "And we are glad Japan has secured our next gen win."
f911monks3na.jpg

Above: Two Japanese Christians in line for Xbox 360 units read signs that say the unit is sold out.

Absolutely golden. :lol :lol

hadareud

The Translator
cybamerc said:
But he had to act like an ass.

I fully understand that this annoys you.

Anyway, I just read the interview and apart from the questionable spin on the sales figures it's a good and informative interview.

cvxfreak

Wel, Peter Moore criticizing Famitsu has a tiny bit of bearing. Nintendo, they're competition, uses Media Create. :lol :lol :lol

GFord

360nosellout_screen001.jpg

I guess it's true when they say a picture is worth 1000 words...not to mention the fact that the saleclerk's facial expression is absolutely PRICELESS. :D

bigNman

Moore: The numbers that anybody has given so far are speculation because we haven’t given any numbers, and I think Famitsu has maybe gone around and counted and then extrapolated. Because it’s a pretty unsophisticated market over there for recording
lol that means they might be even lower!

Mooreberg

They should have just waited to get more games that appeal to the Japanese audience before launching. They're going to have to do much better in Europe if they're serious about becoming #1 worldwide.

M3wThr33

Banned
Alright. Here's my honest opinion. Moore can't be that stupid to suggest glaring inaccuracies in tracking (especially with NPD last month...) so he has to have another belief behind that comment.
I believe he wanted to give Xbots something to say when people mention Xbox and Japan. Some counter fodder, if you will.

Or he's just a fool.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'd go with option 2.

In all seriousness, having to resort to accusing others for your crappy results is just bad and desperate spinning. A true PR master would never resort to such tactics.

EGM92

History is repeating itself. I smell another Sega/Moore moment coming in the near future with MS in the place of sega and Moore "resigning" again.

sonycowboy said:
This is ridiculous.

There is absolutely no defense for this response, I'm sorry. Blaming the tracking systems? I don't care if they sold twice as many, the launch was a complete failure in Japan. There's no escaping that.

That being said, I agree that it would be stupid for Microsoft to admit that, but his approach was 100 times worse. He should just have said that it's not as well as they hoped, but that the worldwide launch shows that they are committed to Japan, even when they passed up guaranteed sales in other regions and say something like the customer satisfaction of those with the 360 is far higher than the original Xbox. And then topped it off with a we will redouble or efforts and work with the publishers, retailers, and developers to give Japan the best system with the best games and the best service ever.

Exactly.

Dave Long said:
Wouldn't the Japanese public react better if Moore said something like, "We realize we haven't yet found the right mix of products for the Japanese consumer. We're going to continue working hard to achieve that goal. We're sorry to those consumers that haven't yet found the games they're looking for to make Xbox 360 attractive."

I mean, anything like an apology would probably be better than reiterating PR marketing speak.

Exactly.q

hadareud

The Translator
EGM92 said:
History is repeating itself. I smell another Sega/Moore moment coming in the near future with MS in the place of sega and Moore "resigning" again.

too bad that most of the time dreams don't come true

Kon Tiki

Banned
The comment was obviously tounge in cheek. Peter knows how the Japanese tracking system works. Some of you people need to relax, and cut off your reproductive organs.

Amir0x

Banned
Kon Tiki said:
The comment was obviously tounge in cheek. Peter knows how the Japanese tracking system works. Some of you people need to relax, and cut off your reproductive organs.

Please highlight what indicated to you that it was obviously tounge in cheek. I hope the reason is better than "nobody can be that stupid."

Kon Tiki

Banned
Amir0x said:
Please highlight what indicated to you that it was obviously tounge in cheek. I hope the reason is better than "nobody can be that stupid."
I think someone who has worked for a Japanese company before and is Corporate Vice President of retail sales and marketing for a major company knows something about the job he is getting paid to do. I am even willing to bet he knows more than some lazyboy analysts on a gaming forum. Theindustry he works is is known to be very competitive with a lot of domineering PR comments dating back to the birth of the industry. Yet, you act suprised when a representive from Mircosoft says something we have all heard from Yamauchi/Kutargi a hundred times before.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kon Tiki said:
I think someone who has worked for a Japanese company before and is Corporate Vice President of retail sales and marketing for a major company knows something about the job he is getting paid to do. I am even willing to bet he knows more than some lazyboy analysts on a gaming forum

Just cause you might be in the business doesn't mean you're immune to doing stupid things.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Kon Tiki said:

I applaud this damage control!

Kon Tiki said:
I think someone who has worked for a Japanese company before and is Corporate Vice President of retail sales and marketing for a major company knows something about the job he is getting paid to do. I am even willing to bet he knows more than some lazyboy analysts on a gaming forum. Theindustry he works is is known to be very competitive with a lot of domineering PR comments dating back to the birth of the industry. Yet, you act suprised when a representive from Mircosoft says something we have all heard from Yamauchi/Kutargi a hundred times before.

Considering that Japan's retail tracking services are more sophisticated and numerous than what is available in North America, his comment comes off as particularly ridiculous and misguided. Here in America we get NPD's TRST service and that's it. If you think TRST is an accurate representation of the NA market, I've got some damn good shit to sell you.

Japan is the second largest economy in the world. Resorting to the sort of argument that Moore uses simply looks idiotic.

Amir0x

Banned
Kon Tiki said:

so your argument for this specific statement being tongue in cheek is that he works in this industry, knows more than me and that's what he is paid for?

well you convinced me

as an aside, link plz to Kutaragi/Yamauchi saying that NPD (or Famitsu) tracking services are unsophisticated

Kon Tiki

Banned
DarienA said:
I applaud this damage control!
Wouldn't that require me to be a fan of MS/Xbox?

MassiveAttack said:
Considering that Japan's retail tracking services are more sophisticated and numerous than what is available in North America, his comment comes off as particularly ridiculous and misguided. Here in America we get NPD's TRST service and that's it. If you think TRST is an accurate representation of the NA market, I've got some damn good shit to sell you.

Japan is the second largest economy in the world. Resorting to the sort of argument that Moore uses simply looks idiotic.
Protip: He KNOWS that. I bet my genitalia¹ on it.

as an aside, link plz to Kutaragi/Yamauchi saying that NPD (or Famitsu) tracking services are unsophisticated

I think your tumor maybe acting up. I did not say those two people said anything about sales tracking.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Kon Tiki said:
His job IS spinning.

Amir0x

Banned
Kon Tiki said:
I think your tumor maybe acting up. I did not say those two people said anything about sales tracking.

Kon Tiki said:
The industry he works is is known to be very competitive with a lot of domineering PR comments dating back to the birth of the industry. Yet, you act suprised when a representive from Microsoft says something we have all heard from Yamauchi/Kutargi a hundred times before.

so what have Yamauchi/Kutaragi said a hundred times before

Apenheul

The funny thing is that quotes like these get copied by newspapers and magazines and it'll be taken for truth by most of it's readers. Happens with Sony's "sales" numbers all the time.

maharg

idspispopd
DarkMage619 said:
I am just curious but how was Peter Moore supposed to respond?

How about:
Yeah, I’m satisfied. It’s a solid, even if not spectacular, start. But the way we’ve looked at Japan this time around is over a three-to-five year period developing deep role playing games. Clearly Sakaguchi with Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon being very important. Miziguchi with Ninety-Nine Nights coming up in the spring.

Btw, I do think he meant it the way I put it above wrt the spectacular thing. But clearly the answer could have been much better without going off into the fanboyish deep end you dived into.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"And, I seriously wouldn't hold this talking out of his ass against him that much, if the XFans weren't always harping on Sony's lies and excuses, when for the past year, Microsoft has gone (IMO) far beyond any spin or "deception" people have accused Sony of."

oh come now, lets not use Moore's bullshit on this as a handwashing exercise for all the shit Sony have gotten up to in the past 12 months.

Both suck . Sony suck with the 'vague "oh but we never said it was realtime"', Sales figues, underhanded nintendo bitching etc crap" and MS are laughable with their damage control, the whole "i want Kutaragi's resignation", 1 billion users" horse shit.

PR and spin on both sides sucks balls, the fact that people try to defend some of this utter wank makes me want to spew up.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God this is just GOLD! Both the official damage control and the fanboy brand make this a comedy classic. Man, what's with the great threads on GAF lately?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
this picture seems more suitable in this thread

mooreshit1lp.jpg

"Japanese gamers return the favour"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Kon Tiki said:

GAF Damage control at its best.

I love it. :lol :lol :lol

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Kon Tiki said:

Thats the stupidest thing I ever heard. You are the stupidest person ever. I HATE YOU!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ironichaos said:
What I'm curious is, why didn't GameInformer follow-up with a question asking him to cut it with the bullshit?
I know I'm pretty late on the response, but it's becasue American journalism is VERY easy on interviewees. You can see this in any news conference with the President. For some reason the american press REFUSES to ask the tough questions.

It's something that REALLY annoys me.

Yamauchi said:
His criticism of Famitsu is valid. What he fails to address are that there are at least 3 major groups tracking Japanese sales, and all have indicated it is a bomb.

Mr. Moore thinks you're supposed to add all 3 of them together...which would indicate they sold out completely.

DCharlie said:
oh come now, lets not use Moore's bullshit on this as a handwashing exercise for all the shit Sony have gotten up to in the past 12 months.

Both suck . Sony suck with the 'vague "oh but we never said it was realtime"', Sales figues, underhanded nintendo bitching etc crap" and MS are laughable with their damage control, the whole "i want Kutaragi's resignation", 1 billion users" horse shit.

PR and spin on both sides sucks balls, the fact that people try to defend some of this utter wank makes me want to spew up.

Amen.

xaosslug

DCharlie said:

and let's not hark back to that old chestnut "we must not forget Sony does it too, never forget, but both Sony and [insert company name here] need to cut the crap, y'know!"

i think it's valid to bring up the fact that Sony gets strung up whenever thay pull crap like this, but when MS does it's that whole "Sony do it too, Sony do it too!" tagline.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Last Hope said:
I think the poor showing for the first big game [DOA4] is a showing that 360 will probably only sell 3m units in Japan over its lifetime. I expect sales per week to be higher than that of the Xbox at least and that is how it will catch up.
I think even that is being way optimistic at this point. The original Xbox didn't even hit 500k in Japan, and it had a much better start. Even with better weekly sales, 3 million seems like a lofty goal.

Ronok

It's this same kind of spin that has people thinking Microsoft could be the market leaders this generation... I mean what is there to support this? The fact that they slightly outsold GameCube by a comparitvely small amount? I mean seriously, there isn't really anything to support the claims that Microsoft could take Sony's place as market leaders.... :-/

But yeah that's another story.......... ^^;

These comments really weren't needed, he could have just said "We are reasonably satisfied with our launch in Japan, but of course we still have lot of work to do in this region.. [insert euro/us launch succes information here].... And we have already started by building on our spectacular lineup with games such as Blue Dragon which are targeted more at this Japanese audience and will be released in the near future."

I really don't understand why he would have gone the route he went.... I mean when it comes the time for Microsoft to actually announce how many 360's they sold in Japan what the hell are they going to say? "Yeah errmmm....... We managed to outsell the GameCube in our first week on sale in Japan!" o_O

Top Bottom