• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR3 edge cover!

dorio

Banned
morbidaza said:
Perhaps it's just me but that looks a tad better than what we saw in the realtime trailer. Could just be cuz it's sharper, though.
Yep, no video compression artififacts.

This is exactly the type of thing MS needs right now for the 360 to get to the mainstream public. No one who loves games will be able to pass by the magazine rack without at least picking the mag up to get a closer look. Very nice.

AB 101

Banned
Love Edges covers for the most part.

Are there any "in game" shots in the issue.

Guess I am asking for alot. <rolleyes>

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
AB 101 said:
Love Edges covers for the most part.

Are there any "in game" shots in the issue.

Guess I am asking for alot. <rolleyes>

how many racing games (hell, any genre) release real "in-game" pics? i'm not talking about actual hands-on either, in which the magazine/site takes there own pics whilel playing.

*hint, the answer is almost none

there are guys driving... look for a white helmet just off to the left (as you look at it) and up from the steering wheel in the tvr. It just isn't immediatel;y apparent because of how shiney the windscreen is, but the drivers are there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks extremely good. Clearly not going for realism, but I really like the appearance.

SHOCKIE said:
Looks ok.

By saying this looks ok, it implies there are some -if not many- games out there that look better. How about you bring some up? Spare me the "not nextgen enough" line too, since there really is no "nextgen" standard. That's what is currently being established.

IJoel

Damn, took long enough before the usual trolls showed up.

Anyway, the game looks fantastic and I can't wait for it.

olimario

Banned
I have no reason to baselessly hate this game. I've signed on for the XBOX360 and I'm really looking forward to it. That said, I'm not finding PGR3 to be as impressive as I thought it would be. Maybe it's the lack of actual gameplay footage or maybe that it's the game they're showing now isn't nearly as impressive as the teaser screen and the first screenshot. Regardless, I'm let down.

IJoel

SHOCKIE said:
I'm from the UK but i can't see the driver in the front car.

glasses.jpg

SHOCKIE

Sal Paradise Jr said:
By saying this looks ok, it implies there are some -if not many- games out there that look better. How about you bring some up? Spare me the "not nextgen enough" line too, since there really is no "nextgen" standard. That's what is currently being established.

Well the other consoles won't be out for a while and i'm sure PGR4 will look better,it just seem to me going by this picture PGR3 been downgraded.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
That is a hot cover, I really like it. The graphics are incredible, I love how detailed the exteriors of the cars are.

TigerKnee

olimario said:
I have no reason to baselessly hate this game. I've signed on for the XBOX360 and I'm really looking forward to it. That said, I'm not finding PGR3 to be as impressive as I thought it would be. Maybe it's the lack of actual gameplay footage or maybe that it's the game they're showing now isn't nearly as impressive as the teaser screen and the first screenshot. Regardless, I'm let down.

Ok

SHOCKIE said:
Well the other consoles won't be out for a while and i'm sure PGR4 will look better,it just seem to me going by this picture PGR3 been downgraded.
What ever dude. Anyone disapointed by this game graphicaly needs to be immediately institutionalised. What system have you been playing on the past 4 years?

Gek54

So the lighting is not as realistic as previous racing games. How many times has this been discussed? PD are the masters of lighting while others have yet to nail it as well as they have. Enjoy it for what it is.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
olimario said:
Where is THIS pgr3?
project-gotham-racing-3-screenshots-20050516072736396.jpg

And THIS pgr3?
pgr3teaser5iq.jpg
The first one is a concept render of what the devs thought they would do, from a city that won't even be in a game (because of some sucky law in France) ever again, at least if the devs aim for total visual realism.
The second has never ever been a realtime shot.
Gek: Bizarre has always had a problem with the cars lighting. I hoped that with PGR3 they'd final get it right, but I don't think they will manage to do it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Blim, can you elaborate on that "sucky law"? no france in pgr3? :(

olimario

Banned
Blimblim said:
The first one is a concept render of what the devs thought they would do, from a city that won't even be in a game (because of some sucky law in France) ever again, at least if the devs aim for total visual realism.
The second has never ever been a realtime shot.
Gek: Bizarre has always had a problem with the cars lighting. I hoped that with PGR3 they'd final get it right, but I don't think they will manage to do it.

They sure didn't attempt to make it known that those weren't real time shots. They look absolutely amazing and lead everyone to believe that they WERE the PGR3 we were getting. It's a horrible bait and switch and nobody calls them on it. I thought media was there to hold devs accountable.

AB 101

Banned
GDJustin said:
This issue at Barnes & Noble yet?

Barnes is kind of slow getting the new issues in. I currently have the issue with the PS3 on the cover.

I have picked up every issue since B&N started to carry it. :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
op_ivy said:
Blim, can you elaborate on that "sucky law"? no france in pgr3? :(
No France in a "real looking" racer again, unless you have months and months of time.
There is a law in France called "droit à l'image" that forces people to ask for the authorization for ever using someone's or a shop/commercial building likeness before you can use it for whatever you want to do (be it TV, a game or whatever).
It means that Bizarre/MS or any other dev has to ask every shop/building owner about the being in the game. That in itself is not that much of a problem, but if this person refuses (and it happens all the time) then the law says that they can't even use something that looks like the shop/building AT ALL. You can't just swap a few letters in the name like you see so often elsewhere, you have to change the whole architecture completely.
Needless to say this is way too much work, not even mentioning it kills the realistic look you wanted in the first place.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
olimario said:
They sure didn't attempt to make it known that those weren't real time shots. They look absolutely amazing and lead everyone to believe that they WERE the PGR3 we were getting. It's a horrible bait and switch and nobody calls them on it. I thought media was there to hold devs accountable.
The first shot was never meant to be shown to the public (xboxyde is more or less guilty about releasing this one), the second one was for a magazine cover.
But whatever fits your agenda.

Blimblim said:
No France in a "real looking" racer again, unless you have months and months of time.
There is a law in France called "droit à l'image" that forces people to ask for the authorization for ever using someone's or a shop/commercial building likeness before you can use it for whatever you want to do (be it TV, a game or whatever).
It means that Bizarre/MS or any other dev has to ask every shop/building owner about the being in the game. That in itself is not that much of a problem, but if this person refuses (and it happens all the time) then the law says that they can't even use something that looks like the shop/building AT ALL. You can't just swap a few letters in the name like you see so often elsewhere, you have to change the whole architecture completely.
Needless to say this is way too much work, not even mentioning it kills the realistic look you wanted in the first place.

man that's crazy...

oh well, here's hoping to a beautiful rendition of London!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's a horrible bait and switch and nobody calls them on it. I thought media was there to hold devs accountable.

That's going to be a familiar refrain this generation.

Gek54

olimario said:
Where is THIS pgr3?
project-gotham-racing-3-screenshots-20050516072736396.jpg

And THIS pgr3?
pgr3teaser5iq.jpg

Yeah I am nut seeing much if a descprency. Two different cars under different lighting, one is a close up and the other is further away. What is issue???

that sounds crazy...

so in every french film where its shot on a exterior location, regardless of how small a place of establishment is on the screen, permission has to be sought from each individual?? how about if it is completely out of focus 100s of metres away but if you know the place you'd know what it is?? i'm not doubting such a law, but it's just really crazy.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jerrymaguire said:
that sounds crazy...

so in every french film where its shot on a exterior location, regardless of how small a place of establishment is on the screen, permission has to be sought from each individual?? how about if it is completely out of focus 100s of metres away but if you know the place you'd know what it is?? i'm not doubting such a law, but it's just really crazy.
In theory, yes they have to get the authorization. And if you wanted to follow the law to the letter you'd have to ask every people whose face will be seen too.
If it's just a few seconds in a camera shot I guess it should not be that much of a problem, but in a game everything is modeled and will be seen for as much time as the player wants to, and the law has to be followed.
It's not a completely bad law, as it FORCES everyone to ask for permission before they can use footage where you appear (imagine being somewhere you are not supposed to be, and being seen on national TV for whatever reason), but it's still annoying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gek54 said:
Yeah I am nut seeing much if a descprency. Two different cars under different lighting, one is a close up and the other is further away. What is issue???
Err, the second render there is quite a bit more detailed than the actual cars used in the game.

COCKLES

being watched
dark10x said:
Err, the second render there is quite a bit more detailed than the actual cars used in the game.

Yeah but at least there are shots of the cars 'in the game' as opposed to Hollywood CGI productions on....certain....other.....platforms... PS3 cough....

Top Bottom