• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and You

quin

I fired up my Dreamcast the other day and started to play PSO again. Instant crack. I can't quit playing it now. Part of it is remembering the blast i had playing online and trying to get the heart of pian (still trying!!). But how does the online community stack up on the Gamecube and Xbox? I kinda don't want to start a character over and all if it aint fun and i know there is an unofficial server up for the DC version but whats your peoples take on the best one?

neptunes

there's a free phantasy star server out there, you can even play with pc players.

It's a bit laggy at times but yeah.

retardboy

Actually, I started playing it again after about like 2 years of not playing. Playing on the free servers. Fun still.

explodet

I had to suspend my hunter's license for a month or two because I got so damn busy with stuff so I haven't been able to play. :(

I've got a 100 lvl FO. And a pretty kickin' Arkz deck.

bjork

when I start playing again, I'll resume my hunt for a Spread Needle in the Ultimate Ruins. Then I'm taking at least one character to level 200, and I will never have to play PSO again...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The PSO DC days (without cheating) was one of the best gaming experiences I've had. The game was just so damn addicting. I still remember the first time I fought that area 2 boss with 3 other under-leveled players. It was our first time playing against the boss and we got owned. Went back to the boss with a strategy and we owned the boss...it was great stuff

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
bjork said:
when I start playing again, I'll resume my hunt for a Spread Needle in the Ultimate Ruins. Then I'm taking at least one character to level 200, and I will never have to play PSO again...

In PSO v 2 or ep1/2? In the latter, Spread Needles aren't very hard to come by at all. I never gave any time to V2 though, so I can't speak on that.

Laurent

I was quite disappointed when I bought that game for GameCube. I had never played it before, and I wasn't expecting so much repetition. It bore the hell out of me...

robot

PSO for the DC was the last game I played for like 14 hours straight. The keyboard made that game like 100 times better too. And the first time I fought Darkfalzs' final form was just crazy, we had no idea what the hell was goin on.

I was hoping the Xbox version would be as exciting but for some reason it wasn't. The voice chat was sooooo laggy. And the version 2 stuff just wasn't as good as version 1. How many times did everyone play those version 1 levels? I remember playing them like 100 times over and they never got boring.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Wario64 said:
The PSO DC days (without cheating) was one of the best gaming experiences I've had. The game was just so damn addicting. I still remember the first time I fought that area 2 boss with 3 other under-leveled players. It was our first time playing against the boss and we got owned. Went back to the boss with a strategy and we owned the boss...it was great stuff

Wario, I totally agree with you. I will always remember PSO on DC as highlight of my gaming years. Once cheaters destroyed the game, I never went back. I hoping another company tries to make a PSO clone with a better anti-cheat program. Better yet, maybe Sega will make a new PSO and this time learn from their mistakes. One can only dream.

Where are these free servers? Are there any free servers for the GC and Xbox versions? My DC has been out of commission for sometime now :(

bjork

Archaix said:
In PSO v 2 or ep1/2? In the latter, Spread Needles aren't very hard to come by at all. I never gave any time to V2 though, so I can't speak on that.

PSOX.

It's a Merlan drop in Ult Ruins for my Greenill ID. Unfortunately, there's only one or two Merlans for every five to eight Arlans... supposedly the drop rate is 1/900, but I've only done like three runs of Ruins 1 to try and find it so far. Been too busy to play lately.

quin

I only quit playing because i lost everything except for my HP/TP and my techniques :( so i'm lvl 85 and lvl 0 mag and its kind of difficult again.

so its best to stick with the DC version I guess? thats cool tho cause there is nothing wrong with keeping the Dreamcast in Circulation!

and how/where did you guys find your mag upgrade? do u need super many hours into it, I'm at 318 roughly and i can't find anything good. Does being a pinkal have some say in that?

bjork

Check PSO World and see your ID's item drop chart. It's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close. Then do runs that have the highest number of that monster, and keep at it.

I played online a little bit with the Dreamcast version on SegaNet.

And I had the Xbox version and played online for a while, but never got into it too much.

the gamecube and xboxen versions both have big communities, I think the xboxen version is the main PSO community now for alot of people, but not sure.

It's a decent way to throw time away with friends, but I really find myself wishing the controls were more responsive. The movement and fighting feels too stiff to me.

The first two months of the original PSO were fantastic! Then, the duping and hacking happened... It was great while it lasted, though. PSU had better be good, god damn it!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Once cheaters destroyed the game, I never went back. <<<

I didn't care about the cheaters. What killed it for me were the PKers, especially the ones who would kill you over and over and not even let you leave without turning your system off, even after they'd stolen your stuff. Then there were the people who were damaging peoples' character files...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
PSO on the DC was also one of my best gaming experiences ever. I have never been so addicted to a game as I was to PSO when it was free on the DC. When it went P2P I kicked the habit. Now I play the PC version on the free servers every once and awhile, but to be honest I now find Diablo II a much more satisfying online experience.

If I could play the Xbox version without having to buy Live then I'd get it for me and the wife to play together offline.

AniHawk

I picked the game up in 2002 (v1 brand new). Had a blast with it the small times I played. Ran into a couple of cheaters, but they weren't PKs or anything. Beat the game twice until I was NOL'd at level 20. I just stopped playing then.

Top Bottom