• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer addresses the rumored Xbox handheld

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It'll just be another portable PC if it happens.

You'd have to be seven shades of stupid to buy a handheld locked down to Xbox games when something like the ROG Ally already exists.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I like you man, but please read my posts before you respond to me. He has not specifically stated that they are making a handheld Xbox device. He also has not specifically stated that the [unconfirmed] handheld Xbox device will support local play. That is my point. Nothing should be treated as fact until it is specifically stated.
I like you too, no offense was intended. I did read your post. I just personally think it's confirmed. If you don't want to think that, no problem. I just didn't know if you've seen that article I linked.

It's not subtle. He basically spells out what they're doing. And we have other corroborating info like all their new ARM developments. And I watched his interview yesterday. I can see his face and I didn't think he's lying about it.

Anyway, we'll see. He even said who will be the one confirming it. Sarah Bond, in a hardware focused announcement at some point in the future.

Topher

Gold Member
I like you too, no offense was intended. I did read your post. I just personally think it's confirmed. If you don't want to think that, no problem. I just didn't know if you've seen that article I linked.

It's not subtle. He basically spells out what they're doing. And we have other corroborating info like all their new ARM developments. And I watched his interview yesterday. I can see his face and I didn't think he's lying about it.

Anyway, we'll see. He even said who will be the one confirming it. Sarah Bond, in a hardware focused announcement at some point in the future.

Not fully confirmed, but at this point I think anyone can make a logical assumption that it is real. I don't think Phil Spencer would have entertained the question as much as he did if there were no handheld on the way. He would have stated the common response: "We have no plans for an Xbox handheld at this time".

Why not it’s an Xbox device.

Phil Spencer has already hinted that he wants a handheld that is more than that and incorporate other stores which implies some sort of PC handheld, possibly a hybrid Xbox/PC, which is what many of us are hoping for.

SNG32

Not fully confirmed, but at this point I think anyone can make a logical assumption that it is real. I don't think Phil Spencer would have entertained the question as much as he did if there were no handheld on the way. He would have stated the common response: "We have no plans for an Xbox handheld at this time".

Phil Spencer has already hinted that he wants a handheld that is more than that and incorporate other stores which implies some sort of PC handheld, possibly a hybrid Xbox/PC, which is what many of us are hoping for.
I’ll believe it when I see it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a gamepass machine that’s cheaper than a steam deck.

Topher

Gold Member
I’ll believe it when I see it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a gamepass machine that’s cheaper than a steam deck.

Until we see the thing.....anything is possible. Phil Spencer has already set the stage with some expectations wtih his musings on the subject. Scaling back on his stated vision of what he would want in a handheld would be problematic at this point, imo.

SNG32

Until we see the thing.....anything is possible. Phil Spencer has already set the stage with some expectations wtih his musings on the subject. Scaling back on his stated vision of what he would want in a handheld would be problematic at this point, imo.
A lot of things Phil has said and done have been problematic. Some might say he’s a snake oil salesman.

Topher

Gold Member
A lot of things Phil has said and done have been problematic. Some might say he’s a snake oil salesman.

I'm not a Phil Spencer defender by any stretch so don't get me wrong here. If he comes out with a locked down Xbox handheld, I'll have cabbage in hand ready to throw.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

I did see the article you linked, but even that article says this:

As we wrapped our conversation, Spencer wouldn’t outright announce an official Xbox handheld, but he did say he sees a similar level of creativity coming to hardware that Xbox has brought to software.

That is my whole point. People are acting like Phil Spencer has confirmed things. He hasn't confirmed anything surrounding the handheld. He has implied much, but people shouldn't be touting implied statements as explicit confirmation. But people are doing that constantly in this thread.

I'm not a Phil Spencer defender by any stretch so don't get me wrong here. If he comes out with a locked down Xbox handheld, I'll have cabbage in hand ready to throw.

I'm hoping that he's not misleading anyone. I'm just telling people to be cautiously optimistic. Acting like this is all certainty is going to result in some major disappointment if Phil pulls a Phil.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I did see the article you linked, but even that article says this:

That is my whole point. People are acting like Phil Spencer has confirmed things. He hasn't confirmed anything surrounding the handheld. He has implied much, but people shouldn't be touting implied statements as explicit confirmation. But people are doing that constantly in this thread.
Push comes to shove, sure I will admit it's not literally confirmed. That's fair.

But I like to try and guess which way the wind is blowing and call it early when I personally think it's heading that direction. I think it's fun to try and see if I can call it correctly or not.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm hoping that he's not misleading anyone. I'm just telling people to be cautiously optimistic. Acting like this is all certainty is going to result in some major disappointment if Phil pulls a Phil.

That's just being wise. Things can change. Remember the streaming box? That never materialized for whatever reason. Best we can say really is that a handheld looks likely. Beyond that.....

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Push comes to shove, sure I will admit it's not literally confirmed. That's fair.

That's all I was originally saying. My original comment wasn't towards you, but rather towards others who are saying, "This is already confirmed." That's how false rumors abound, and that's how people wind up looking like idiots down the road when something turns out to be different than what they claimed. For the record, I'm not calling you (or anyone else in this thread) an idiot.

There is a difference between, "It is almost certainly going to happen," and, "It is certainly going to happen." People should be doing the former instead of the latter in a case like this where all we have are implied statements.

But I like to try and guess which way the wind is blowing and call it early when I personally think it's heading that direction. I think it's fun to try and see if I can call it correctly or not.

Agreed. :)

That's just being wise. Things can change. Remember the streaming box? That never materialized for whatever reason. Best we can say really is that a handheld looks likely. Beyond that.....

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

For what it's worth, I hope they make something awesome. I have a shelf with a PlayStation Portable, a PlayStation Vita, a Nintendo Switch, a Steam Deck, and an ASUS ROG Ally. I'd love to add a new handheld to that lineup. Especially considering I would have a handheld from all four major players in the gaming industry if that happens.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

Last edited:
I could see it being a big deal to people with big Xbox and Steam libraries. I still don’t think any expensive pc handheld will sell more than ~5 million units.

The issues I see is that these handhelds require tinkering at times which the general public won’t do. Also Xbox cloud is pretty bad and behind PSN and GeForce. All the streaming services can have their hiccups where you need to pause and give it a few seconds to buffer or clear up the blur, but my experience on Xbox cloud is that it almost never recovers. I’d have to close the game and Xbox cloud app and open it all again.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Even phill knows streaming is a far off distant dream.
It’s not a dream it’s reality. GeForce now has Twitch shooters, online games, and MMO’s now and they play in 4k. The technology is there and doable. Scale and infrastructure is the only limiting factor ATM. That’s and ISP’s refusing to roll out faster internet since they already milking us with outdated speeds

lachesis

Maybe they will partner with Valve? Like MS version of Steam Deck (not sure of OS - whether it would be customized Windows Kernel dedicated to gaming, or Steam OS) - and sharing profit off from the sales and all?

Just some wild thoughts.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Those are not rumours. Those are paid controlled leaks to test the waters and prepare their fans and medias.
They need to keep Xbox fans engaged. When your games suck and you are shutting down studios, then hinting at vaporware hardware and rolling out trailers for 2026 games seems to be the way to go.

graywolf323

I’d definitely pick up an Xbox Deck/Ally since it’d likely be the best way to play my BC library (Lost Odyssey on the go? yes please)

though as long as they actually ran BC off the X profile and didn’t lock it down to the S profile…

For what it's worth, I hope they make something awesome. I have a shelf with a PlayStation Portable, a PlayStation Vita, a Nintendo Switch, a Steam Deck, and an ASUS ROG Ally. I'd love to add a new handheld to that lineup. Especially considering I would have a handheld from all four major players in the gaming industry if that happens.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

same + a 2DS XL and a DS Lite 🫣

Last edited:
I’d definitely pick up an Xbox Deck/Ally since it’d likely be the best way to play my BC library (Lost Odyssey on the go? yes please)

though as long as they actually ran BC off the X profile and didn’t lock it down to the S profile…

Fucking Ninja Gaiden 2 + DLC missions on the go man, no need for other games really 😉

PS: IF this thing is indeed real, I don't think that BC titles will be able to run on XSX's profile and instead it will be the S's.

PS : I had a XONE X for a couple of months but I can't remember if BC games like Panzer dragoon Orta and NG2 ran better on it or the Series S...

graywolf323

Series S runs the standard One version for BC games (not X enhanced), however for older games (360/OG) I think you get the same experience simply in 1440p instead of 4k.
IIRC some games have better frame rates with the X profile because under the S profile they’re limited to 30?

cireza

IIRC some games have better frame rates with the X profile because under the S profile they’re limited to 30?
Sonic Generations is not 60fps on Series S then ? That would suck lol.

I think Series S provides the "FPS Boost" feature. It won't provide the "One X enhanced" feature though.

Sonic Generations probably has both "FPS Boost" and "One X enhanced".

Last edited:
I really was a skeptic about even the concept of an Xbox handheld before really letting the idea marinate. They can clearly do hardware well enough to make some ergonomic enough to feel good to hold, have a good screen, and a nice battery life. And god knows we have a ton of examples already on what can be done.

If they can really nail that, make a scaled down proper Xbox UI with a no fuss easy experience playing owned Xbox games, GP, backcompat games AND throw in being able to use at least Steam (more launchers would be better) without it being a pita would be a massive win. This is their chance to recreate what everyone loves about the Steam Deck for Xbox with an even smoother user experience. This would also have the benefit of setting them up as a nice portable for streaming as we keep drifting in that direction.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't get this. Will this play Nintendo games? Will parents buy for their kids so they can also play Mario? They are not competing for the same customers.

Beyond silly, there is a huge chunk of people who bought a switch that would have considered a an xbox or playstation portable hybrid, had it actually been available. Don't mistake a monopoly with demand.

Three

Man, can’t believe we’re witnessing the renaissance period of handheld gaming. Nintendo, Microsoft, Valve and various 3rd party PC manufacturers.

Except Sony of course after the Vita bomb.
"Vita bomb" sold more in a month than steamdeck in a year. Valve makes little to no first party games for it either. Not sure why you have it in for Playstation though.

rm082e

I think the streaming box could still be on the radar its just getting is small enough at the price point they want

Will it ever happen though?

Did you see those emails that came out in court last year? He was saying about the streaming box something like "I don't know how to turn this into a product people want. Seems like people don't care about streaming."

I don't have a link on hand, but I remember reading that thinking it's good he's being honest about the response from players instead of plowing ahead with a "If you build it, they will come" mindset.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Did you see those emails that came out in court last year? He was saying about the streaming box something like "I don't know how to turn this into a product people want. Seems like people don't care about streaming."

I don't have a link on hand, but I remember reading that thinking it's good he's being honest about the response from players instead of plowing ahead with a "If you build it, they will come" mindset.
I do remember that

rm082e

"Vita bomb" sold more in a month than steamdeck in a year. Valve makes little to no first party games for it either. Not sure why you have it in for Playstation though.

True, but it's a different sales pitch. Vita was unique games developed for that platform. Steam Deck is hardware that let's you play your existing library.

We aren't clear on what the Xbox handheld might be yet. People are talking here about it like it's obviously just a machine for playing existing Xbox games. I can't imagine MS is dumb enough to build a new custom thing that has to have unique games developed for it. That would be a disaster.

Audiophile

You know, can you imagine if a CEO was really blunt, forward and open...it'd be a revelation and the community would be largely in support. They go round the houses trying not to answer things -- quite often when the writing is on the wall -- it's like we're playing some weird game and it's got to the point where I don't understand why they do it. I legitimately think someone who just spoke like a human being and followed through would garner significant respect and support. It's just endless bullshit and caginess at this point; they must know we know. Why keep it up?

Imagine a humble and honest human being; and it's quite clear this is not it, whether it be from the powers above or them themselves. Why are we keeping up this pretence as if it is "professional"...?

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
It's gonna be like the Surface approach. MS will produce its own reference devices and then allow 3rd parties to create their own.

I don't get this. Will this play Nintendo games? Will parents buy for their kids so they can also play Mario? They are not competing for the same customers.
Yes they are. If MS wasn't competing with Nintendo, they wouldn't be introducing a device in a market segment dominated by them.

You're right that they aren't competing for Nintendo-only or Nintendo-first gamers. But there are a healthy number of players who spend their time primarily on non-Nintendo games (Minecraft, Fortnite, Rocket League, Terraria, Stardew Valley, etc.) that MS can capture and remove from the Nintendo ecosystem. But it's far harder to do that when they've already paid the entrance fee.

Kumomeme

another PC handheld like Steamdeck/ROG Ally with Xbox brand? sure

but if this end up as another actual Xbox console, then clearly mean that Microsoft didnt learn anything from Series S

Rockman33

Honestly, hoping this is the new series S for the next generation that launches in 2026. Think at that point it could be quite powerful.

Deerock71

So...the final showdown might be between Nintendo, Microsoft, and Steam? Is ANYONE ELSE noticing the one eternal strand in the gaming strategem? I DO.
Happy I Do GIF by Mashed

Top Bottom