• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

rofif

Banned
Yeah my first console of the PS2 generation was the Xbox, basically because of Halo. Then I got the 360 a couple of years ahead of the PS3.

I don't like Microsoft really but I definitely would get an Xbox if they produced one worth buying. They've just completely and utterly failed to do that for two generations now.
Same lol. Here is mine:

zU864WD.jpg

People call us Sony fanboys or what, but we just followed the games. PS4 and PS5 offer better games, so we went there. 360 offered better games at one point, so I had that. If Xbox offers me better games again, I'll buy that.

Brand loyalty is stupid if you're not getting the very thing you need from it.
Dude. 360 with the blades was incredible. That console was straight up magic in 2006.
Gears of war looked fucking unreal. Played so too. The whole trilogy! Dead Rising, Mass Effect, Lost Plnet, Crackdown, EDF, Perfect Dark and many many more. Then multiplats ran and looked better. Like gta 4 or the darkness lacking msaa on ps3. I am really interested to play gta 4 on ps3 btw :p 360 is my fav version.

it is disconnected because huge power brick but I still have it! I still plug it once every year or two.
o9xqohl.jpg

DragonNCM

Contrary to what Phil says, releasing great games actually does make you competitive as one of the big players. They can do it again if they so want to. The original Xbox and 360 were very successful and not trailing other consoles by much at all, and why was that? Because of great games!

Agreed, it will take years to a decade to fix what Phil has done to the brand in the last decade, but if they would want to, they can start releasing a constant stream of great games again and once more become a big player.

Problem seems to be, no one has the ambition or drive at MS to do so, and the problem is not that they make more money than ever before, because maybe they do, but would you buy the next Xbox with this reputation for MS? Probably not, and that is why this console is a failure. You can make a lot of money now, but next gen no one will buy your console anymore.

You can actually see it already now, with console sales going down more than 30% already. It seems that the patience and good will of people is finally finished. Even MS shills admit that the situation is dire now and MS has to fix things. Then you know the brand is in serious trouble.
I agree with you on this point, MS was in very good position on start of 360 era, then red rings happened & after that Xbox one happened & no major games happened. Only thing that drived Xbox brand last 5 years is third party publishers or GP. Next year or two is a last chance for Xbox brand.Will they deliver big AAA games in good shape like Starfield, Avowed, Fable, Forza, Hell blade ?
One thing is surly, for Xbox it is a moment of "do or die"

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is such a good point!

It almost feels like Phil has absolutely no interest in selling Xbox consoles... even though he's the head of Xbox.

Then just... STOP.

Go third party like Sega. Lean into the PC space even more, and just let the console that you so clearly don't seem to give a fuck about die, and cede the whole console space to Sony and Nintendo.
It is possible that some of these Bethesda exclusive games end up coming to PlayStation years later -- depending on the future of the Xbox console, or lack therefore.

Mayar

Neo Member
I'm an entry-level collector because I don't roughly try to collect everything that comes out on consoles, but only what I like. I stopped buying xboxes after the xbox one i sold a year ago now i only have original xbox and x360.
Naturally, I have both Nintendo and Sony consoles, and I also have a PC. This is far from a fantastic PC, but I happy (Ryzen 5 3600, 32 GB RAM, 2080t). It seems to me that MS did everything in order to buy xbox practically did not make any sense.

If you take the same Starfield, I will not buy an xbox for it, even if it is 11 and 10, I will calmly play it on a PC. Since, as usual, it will be released simultaneously on both platforms, if they still guess to shove it into the game pass, I will say double thanks to them.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This is such a good point!

It almost feels like Phil has absolutely no interest in selling Xbox consoles... even though he's the head of Xbox.

Then just... STOP.

Go third party like Sega. Lean into the PC space even more, and just let the console that you so clearly don't seem to give a fuck about die, and cede the whole console space to Sony and Nintendo.

They probably want to. Nadella wanted to put an end to Xbox HW. Let’s not forget there were talks about gamepass being on PlayStation.

But Phil Spencer convinced Nadella that Xbox console was necessary. And we can understand that because the only Gamepass they would be able to get on a PlayStation would be Xbox first party.

The bit about ABK accelerating their plans makes sense because they are trying to turn Gamepass into this huge thing but they don’t have the software output to do it yet. And now it’s possible they never will so they will have to pivot again.

It’s a tough nut to crack because if we look at all the pieces Xbox management is shooting in a lot of directions and they are clearly in a race to get to where they want and it’s not exactly working.

As somebody who follows the industry it’s actually very very interesting to speculate on where Xbox will change in the upcoming years. This ABK deal if it’s def blocked will be very very uncomfortable for Xbox and MS because for one they burned bridges with Sony.

Last edited:

cireza

It almost feels like Phil has absolutely no interest in selling Xbox consoles...
Because unlike Nintendo and Sony, maybe that his business is not stricly tied to the number of consoles sold ? Maybe that your key measure of success for Sony and Nintendo does not apply to Xbox ? This is exactly what Phil was explaining, by the way.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Also, we, people who had 360 and then went to ps4 and ps5.. We did that because xbox one and gamepass killed xbox.
We grieved it, accepted the loss and moved on to a better platform. Nothing more to it.
Xbox is like a twitching corpse in the ditch since then. You keep looking at it and thinking "god.... but you were already dead and I said goodbye to you. Stop haunting me"

Thirty7ven

Banned
Because unlike Nintendo and Sony, maybe that his business is not stricly tied to the number of consoles sold ? Maybe that your key measure of success for Sony and Nintendo does not apply to Xbox ? This is exactly what Phil was explaining, by the way.

Key measure of success for PlayStation and Xbox is exactly the same. Revenue. You can say they are trying to go about it in different ways but if MS isn’t allowed to keep buying the market, and their console business keeps floundering, then how will they do it?

They have also relied on a loyal and vocal hardcore fanbase that is losing faith in them. That will have consequences.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Do I have to yet again post Nadella's words on the subject? Where he made a huge fuss about the fact Xbox was outselling Playstation?

The narrative changes when the circumstances change with Xbox. When they're outselling Sony it's all about the consoles... and when they're not, suddenly console sales don't matter.

And if they don't see consoles as being very important, why did they bother with Series S? A cheap console exclusively designed to appeal to the casual gamer? Why bother with an Xbox console at all? Why not just produce software?

nowhat

Also, we, people who had 360 and then went to ps4 and ps5.. We did that because xbox one and gamepass killed xbox.
Count me in that category. Xbox One was 100€ more expensive, less powerful, and I had no interest in Kinect. So PS4, obviously. And yes, later on PS5.

But MS could easily convince me to get a Series S (or maybe X even) if there'd be a reason to do so. I.e. games, not available elsewhere. Third-party is just fine on PS5 (and basically on average performs the same as Series X, so there's no power advantage in practice).

(I'm aware that there are first-party exclusives, just none that really incite me. Maybe Starfield will, but given Bethesda's recent track record, I'll wait for the reviews.)

Last edited:

hussar16

Phil‘s being his typical passive agressive self.
He would have a totally different tone if the Activision deal went through.

They want to compete, thats why they paid 7+billion to keep Bethesda off Playstation and take the IPs. Thats why they almost went and tried to buy Acitivision for 70-80billion. So they can compete.
If they didn’t want to compete they would go a different direction and go 3rd party And not keep flipflopping that PS is there competition, then isnt there competition and back and forth.

Plus god knows how much money theyve put into trying to shill gamepass as the future knowing full well without MS money it wouldnt be sustainable And the “compeitition“ cant afford to do the same.

And his boss said this recently
https://gameluster.com/microsoft-ceo-tells-sony-let-us-have-competition/
So its typical MS bs
I can't belive Microsoft is trying to justify buying freaking Activision and comparing it to Sony buying bungie or other studios. Bungie don't own halo or other ips. It's just a studio. Microsoft you are buying a whole organization with ips in the billions. You are the anti compete . This Activision deal won't go threw

Hunnybun

Key measure of success for PlayStation and Xbox is exactly the same. Revenue. You can say they are trying to go about it in different ways but if MS isn’t allowed to keep buying the market, and their console business keeps floundering, then how will they do it?

They have also relied on a loyal and vocal hardcore fanbase that is losing faith in them. That will have consequences.

Well, not to blindly echo the CMA, but isn't their future in trying to shift the games market to cloud tech and then dominating that.

They've got a cloud - that's a huge start.

Nvidia seem to have demonstrated that the technology is ready.

The big markets have pretty good internet coverage now.

If the technological issues are solved then that's so obviously the future of gaming.

Mr.Phoenix

People are mostly missing the point of what he said. He readjusted expectations and said that no matter what they won’t be able to out console PlayStation or Nintendo.

It doesnt mean they won’t make great games. But it does mean that if you are looking for a console that will bring you exclusives, a very focused experience, or if you are expecting to be on the number one console ecosystem then Xbox isn’t it.

Xbox is a part of their strategy but people have to accept their strategy is not making a better console than PlayStation or Nintendo. But if you like gamepass there it is.
No no no no and no. People are not missing the point at all. This is the head of Xbox, doing an interview that he expected the gaming world to tune into and watch. Have any idea how easy it is to send the exact same message and do it in a different, non-defeatist way?

Just look at this.... and I am not getting paid millions nor do I have a whole PR/marketing department that is probably worth more than some small countries' GDP.

• It's not easy being in third place, it's always going to be an uphill battle, but we are in the fight. I see the commentary, and they are right, great games move hardware and build a userbase. That is why we are trying to invest as much as we can, at whatever cost, to acquire the studios and experience to provide the best games possible to our fans while also giving the studios we already own all the support they need to make the best games they can. And hopefully, when next someone is thinking of their primary platform or second platform, Xbox becomes something they consider.

• We have learned a lot from Redfall, and if I am being honest, Halo, we have to do better, and we will. We are currently doing a lot of restructuring internally to ensure things like these never happen. Our fans deserve a lot more than a 50-60 rated game, and we are dead set on delivering on this.

• Of course, it would b great to sell 20M consoles each year. Who wouldn't want that? But we cannot put all our eggs in that one basket. We have made it clear before that our vision for the future of gaming is to be console agnostic. So if you want the best local experience and play on a console or PC, or you play on the cloud on any laptop, phone, or smart Tv out there... we are going to be there and giving you the best of Xbox. We can only strive in the hope that us excelling in one area makes us better in the other, and vice versa.

See my point?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well, not to blindly echo the CMA, but isn't their future in trying to shift the games market to cloud tech and then dominating that.

They've got a cloud - that's a huge start.

Nvidia seem to have demonstrated that the technology is ready.

The big markets have pretty good internet coverage now.

If the technological issues are solved then that's so obviously the future of gaming.

Sure but if they are not allowed to buy up the industry before the cloud gets big then they will lose again to other superior brands.

hussar16

The only immediate and simple thing that I can think of that Microsoft could do that would grab the wider gaming community's attention in a positive way would be discontinue the paid Xbox Live Gold membership and just make online multiplayer free for all online games on the Xbox consoles, not just the free-to-play games.

However, Microsoft just tried the opposite a couple years ago, so clearly the concept of making all online multiplayer free to access from Xbox consoles is borderline anathema to Microsoft, but at this point, what other card could Phil Spencer play if he wants to help differentiate the Xbox brand from Playstation in a positive way? And you definitely cannot tell me that a $2 trillion company couldn't financially afford to do this, they just simply aren't comfortable going down this route, but seeing what's happening to their console marketshare over the past 6 months should be ringing alarm bells at Microsoft headquarters and that they should be willing to try such a disruptive strategy to throw Sony off guard here.

I do think this move would be an interesting strategy by Microsoft, as that would ironically make the Playstation's marketing agreement with Activision for COD look somewhat awkward when Sony is still charging $60 a year for online multiplayer when COD gamers could just buy the game on Xbox instead and not need to pay for online multiplayer there.
This won't work.wii u had free intenrent it did nothing.moved nothing

And that is a strategic problem that also came from Phil.

He started the day-1-on-PC initiative. He even berated Sony for not releasing their games on PC on day one. Now he is complaining that they are unable to sell enough Xbox consoles and capture the market share.

That's ... extremely odd.

Everything Microsoft and Phil Spencer have done has come at the expense of the Xbox brand.

PC day 1 as you said diminishes console
GamePass diminishes B2P, which limits digital library build up, which is what he says is so crucial to maintaining userbase between generations (not sure this is actually true, but still)

All Microsoft 1st party on GamePass day 1, diminishes the value of their first party games and limits their budgets

They're in a race to build the netflix of gaming, but if it comes at the cost of their core brand before that base is built out, it'll result in total ecosystem failure.

How many Xboxes will sell this year? Almost certainly under 10 million. Without games, we'll eventually see GamePass subscribership decrease and when that happens Phil is done.

If I'm Phil, I walk back Xbox 1st party day 1 into gamepass and I walk back PC day 1 as well.

Yeah, that will come at a cost of GamePass subscribership and PC revenue, but it will drive Xbox console sales a bit and give them a chance to build up their core audience again.

This screams of Saturn/Dreamcast N64/Gamecube.

The Gamecube did 2/3rds of what the N64 sold, because people were ultimately tired of the offering, this was despite Gamecube getting some exclusives like the Capcom 5 and some Sega support.

I think the Xbox Series would not have sold anywhere near what it has if the PS5 hadn't been supply constrained in the first couple of years. We're going to see how much distance the PS5 can generate over the Series in the next 18-21 months.

Thirty7ven

Banned
No no no no and no. People are not missing the point at all. This is the head of Xbox, doing an interview that he expected the gaming world to tune into and watch. Have any idea how easy it is to send the exact same message and do it in a different, non-defeatist way?

Just look at this.... and I am not getting paid millions nor do I have a whole PR/marketing department that is probably worth more than some small countries' GDP.

• It's not easy being in third place, it's always going to be an uphill battle, but we are in the fight. I see the commentary, and they are right, great games move hardware and build a userbase. That is why we are trying to invest as much as we can, at whatever cost, to acquire the studios and experience to provide the best games possible to our fans while also giving the studios we already own all the support they need to make the best games they can. And hopefully, when next someone is thinking of their primary platform or second platform, Xbox becomes something they consider.

• We have learned a lot from Redfall, and if I am being honest, Halo, we have to do better, and we will. We are currently doing a lot of restructuring internally to ensure things like these never happen. Our fans deserve a lot more than a 50-60 rated game, and we are dead set on delivering on this.

• Of course, it would b great to sell 20M consoles each year. Who wouldn't want that? But we cannot put all our eggs in that one basket. We have made it clear before that our vision for the future of gaming is to be console agnostic. So if you want the best local experience and play on a console or PC, or you play on the cloud on any laptop, phone, or smart Tv out there... we are going to be there and giving you the best of Xbox. We can only strive in the hope that us excelling in one area makes us better in the other, and vice versa.

See my point?

It’s true that it was a defeatist, but basically he’s adjusting expectations for the fanbase. He’s basically telling the loyal and vocal Xbox fanbase to forget about competing with PlayStation. You’re not going to get a better console experience with Xbox. But there are other things they are doing and that’s what should appeal to the fans, otherwise dems the breaks.

I can sympathize with him. If ABK is blocked and demand for Xbox isn’t picking up what’s he supposed to say?

They tried the astroturfing, the media narrative, gamepass, a budget console and a premium console. It’s what it is. They are already looking like dipshit clowns with their reaction to the CMA, Phil Spencer coming out with big boy talk and go for more lies after Redfall would be insane.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Google, Amazon, or someone else. Hell, maybe Activision Blizzard.
Those idiots would do it even worse, hell we're already seeing the best google and Amazon can do with Stadia and Luna.

The only third competitor who could actually put up a fight is Valve but they'd have to start making first party games again

I mean all companies are like that. Sony used to be a major player in the handheld space, but they've relinquished that to Nintendo now. Nintendo used to be the leader in the console space, but they gave them up for a hybrid unit to leverage their strength in handhelds.

Nintendo likely won't go head-to-head with Sony again and Sony probably won't go head-to-head with Nintendo again.

What they will do is try to insert themselves in the mobile space, which might at some point envelope the handheld space entirely. Nintendo has been slow to enter the mobile space because they don't want to lose their hardware revenue, but the reality is that Nintendo is sleeping on a mountain of software sales across multiple platforms and they've been slow to realize that just like they were slow to adopt online. They were also slow to adopt digital retail.

Stare-Bear

Banned
People keep mentioning that Gamepass wants to be the “Netflix of gaming” but Netflix makes a shitload of content. With several high budget movies and tv shows.

So Phil’s statement that AAA games won’t help sell consoles is flawed.

DonJimbo

Wow embarrassing didn't know that a shitty FPS game that redfall is has such a big impact in the opinion of a Console Manufacturer President to say that it's Console is losing

FunkMiller

Gold Member

See my point?

I am in P.R/Comms -and I'd say your version is far better.

I think the problem is Phil is defeated.

You can spend all the time and money you want on messages with positive reinforcement, but if the person communicating those messages doesn't buy into it, the whole thing becomes a waste of time.

Phil's strategy over the past ten years + has failed. That's the bottom line in all of this. It's time for him to move on.

Last edited:

hussar16

Everything Microsoft and Phil Spencer have done has come at the expense of the Xbox brand.

PC day 1 as you said diminishes console
GamePass diminishes B2P, which limits digital library build up, which is what he says is so crucial to maintaining userbase between generations (not sure this is actually true, but still)

All Microsoft 1st party on GamePass day 1, diminishes the value of their first party games and limits their budgets

They're in a race to build the netflix of gaming, but if it comes at the cost of their core brand before that base is built out, it'll result in total ecosystem failure.

How many Xboxes will sell this year? Almost certainly under 10 million. Without games, we'll eventually see GamePass subscribership decrease and when that happens Phil is done.

If I'm Phil, I walk back Xbox 1st party day 1 into gamepass and I walk back PC day 1 as well.

Yeah, that will come at a cost of GamePass subscribership and PC revenue, but it will drive Xbox console sales a bit and give them a chance to build up their core audience again.

This screams of Saturn/Dreamcast N64/Gamecube.

The Gamecube did 2/3rds of what the N64 sold, because people were ultimately tired of the offering, this was despite Gamecube getting some exclusives like the Capcom 5 and some Sega support.

I think the Xbox Series would not have sold anywhere near what it has if the PS5 hadn't been supply constrained in the first couple of years. We're going to see how much distance the PS5 can generate over the Series in the next 18-21 months.
Overall Phil knows Xbox can't keep coming up with banger games continually so easy like Nintendo or Sony does so making Netflix subscription was only way to keep the gaming market afloat and keep the money coming the talent is just not there to continually make bangers. It's the same with movies. The market has changed. Sony and many others Wil get more and more lazy and just profit of these subscriptions to .can't blame them less risk more reward.

Mr.Phoenix

It’s true that it was a defeatist, but basically he’s adjusting expectations for the fanbase. He’s basically telling the loyal and vocal Xbox fanbase to forget about competing with PlayStation. You’re not going to get a better console experience with Xbox. But there are other things they are doing and that’s what should appeal to the fans, otherwise dems the breaks.

I can sympathize with him. If ABK is blocked and demand for Xbox isn’t picking up what’s he supposed to say?

They tried the astroturfing, the media narrative, gamepass, a budget console and a premium console. It’s what it is. They are already looking like dipshit clowns with their reaction to the CMA, Phil Spencer coming out with big boy talk and go for more lies after Redfall would be insane.
You saw what I said there right? No lies, no big boy talk, and succeeds in adjusting expectations and also making it clear what direction they are trying to go in.

At no point did my version say they are going to outsell Sony or Nintendo, But at no point does it sound like I am saying no point to even bother.

Overall Phil knows Xbox can't keep coming up with banger games continually so easy like Nintendo or Sony does so making Netflix subscription was only way to keep the gaming market afloat and keep the money coming the talent is just not there to continually make bangers. It's the same with movies. The market has changed. Sony and many others Wil get more and more lazy and just profit of these subscriptions to .can't blame them less risk more reward.

Subscription models are good for normalized content, mitigating risks, and ensuring steady revenue.

You'll notice that some companies have an entire subscription model and some have a mixed model.

You can't buy music on Spotify. With apple you can still buy albums on itunes instead of subscribe to apple music. AMC has a subscription in A-List, but they still let you buy movie tickets, in fact if you go over your allotment for A-List you have to.

Microsoft has not found the right balance and Sony is much closer to finding that.

hussar16

People keep mentioning that Gamepass wants to be the “Netflix of gaming” but Netflix makes a shitload of content. With several high budget movies and tv shows.

So Phil’s statement that AAA games won’t help sell consoles is flawed.
He's right. Your talking about selling consoles .he's talking about selling his Xbox subscription service. Aaa games won't get him to magically sell his Xbox consoles and beat sony.all Xbox cares about is pushing Xbox game pass .a subscription service on every platform even on Playstation is ultimately what Xbox wants.

DJ12

I know thos didn't happen, but it's almost as if Phil had phoned Jim and said what would it take for you to allow us game pass on PlayStation.

Jim: For starters tell the world you're never going to beat us even if your one last hope is the best game ever....

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Is just my perception or every new MS thread lately there is 2 or 3 dorment users that pops up start defending MS in an almost PR fashion, than when a new topic arrives this 2/3 are replaced for another 2/3 .. I swear I can see some shills here that did not post at all in the aquisition thread and we all know some shills disappeared from that thread fast after the CMA decision

Hunnybun

Sure but if they are not allowed to buy up the industry before the cloud gets big then they will lose again to other superior brands.

No, because they will OWN the cloud that the brands operate on. That's the point. It'd be like Sony owning the rights to produce silicon-based console hardware.

It's a completely new playing field, and Microsoft has a great chance to dominate it. As long as they just stop stepping on rakes.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
No watch interview again.

He said PS4 gen was the worst gen to lose coz in that generation people on PS made their big digital library and now they will not abandon it even if Starfield is 10/10 game.

Will u sell PS5 and buy Xbox if Hellblade 2 is like God of War? No, you will just make it secondary console or most probably invest in Game pass through PC.

I dont think he meant that good games not needed and xbox shouldn't focus on good games. He saying just good games wont help Xbox console take PS share away in world market. They need new way to compete just like Nintendo doing with Switch by carving out their own Path backed by quality games.

This is how i took his statement. I watched whole interview.

Very rare to see such a logical take in this thread.

I know this place has a hate boner for Xbox but I am still blown away by how many took such an obvious line of thinking and ran the opposite way with it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
surely it can't be games.

It dumbfounds me that this simple, obvious fact is passed over by so many people - including, it appears, the guy who runs Xbox.

You want GamePass to be a success? Put excellent games on it that can't be played anywhere else.
You want Xbox to be a success? Put excellent games on it that can't be played anywhere else.
You want any damn video games platform or subscription service to be a success? Put excellent games on it that can't be played anywhere else.

If you build great games... things turn around. Go look at the Switch or the Ps3 if you have any doubts of that.

Gamepass is not a console. Microsoft cares about its subscription model not the console.

When you look at subscription services for Microsoft Office, it was already a product that everyone had to buy, plus it doesn't really have a major pay-to-own alternative.

That doesn't work for Xbox. It has major competitors across the board.

The problem with gaming is that it isn't ready for a subscription model.

You can buy Netflix for 15 dollars and you can get hours of content for that.

Subsidizing gaming at the same price doesn't work when each game costs significantly more to make and takes active participation to consume.

Music and TV/Movies even news is very different from gaming. There might become a time where the general public plays games as much as they watch tv, but that isn't where we are today. You also can't play games while driving to work in the morning (you can play on mobile on public transportation, but that's not really what is being sold here yet).

Once bandwidth reaches a point and latency is low enough we'll have more mobile play anywhere experiences. We're not there yet.

Hunnybun

It dumbfounds me that this simple, obvious fact is passed over by so many people - including, it appears, the guy who runs Xbox.

You want GamePass to be a success? Put excellent games on it that can't be played anywhere else.
You want Xbox to be a success? Put excellent games on it that can't be played anywhere else.
You want any damn video games platform or subscription service to be a success? Put excellent games on it that can't be played anywhere else.

If you build great games... things turn around. Go look at the Switch or the Ps3 if you have any doubts of that.

It really really really is THAT simple. Just shut the fuck up and make some GAMES, Phil. Things will turn round as quick as you can say Elder Scrolls 6.

Top Bottom