• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

Luigi Mario

It all was downhill from here

rmOLS9S.jpeg
Something like this would have never happened under Mattrick’s leadership.

Going 3rd party would make some sense, but you have to get more than 2 b-tier games out of the door a year in order to make a success of that.

Outside of the first releases of Gears / Halo who doesn't expect them to slip into obscurity?

What else can they offer? Perfect Dark on switch 2?... 30 years after the franchise mattered?.. maybe a rerelease of rare replay? Will Forza do much against gran turismo and the large ps5 library?

I think they are under orders not to blow up Activision Blizzard with poor install base / gamepass and will throw in the towel on exclusivity on their other games before the end of this gen.

And we will be lucky to see much 3rd party on series if this happens. I am getting Wii U vibes.

Withnail

You would think from purely a PR perspective that you would want to squash these rumors, because unlike in the past they seem to be coming from multiple sources (and building traction) etc.

Unless he cannot talk about it (or squash them) as the rumors are to close to the actual truth to what they are planning to announce.

The fact that the announcement is taking place at a "Business Update" and not some more game related named event, is something to be of note.

It shall be interesting....

A business update certainly sounds like an event where you would announce a change in strategy. I’m sure there will also be some recommitment to hardware, console refresh, new controller colours or something to placate the fanboys. Talk about Xbox as the best place to play.

Papa_Wisdom

Already got the story from 2001 relax everyone.

The battle for control of the video game market claimed its biggest victim yesterday when Sega Microsoft announced that it will dump its loss-making Dreamcast Xbox console in March.
The Japanese American firm, the world's third-biggest game hardware maker, said it would take an 80bn yen (£471m) hit to close its assembly lines and dispose of 2m unsold consoles.

But Sega Microsoft said the short-term pain was necessary to shift its focus towards the company's more lucrative software operation.

"Maintaining the balance between our hardware and software enterprises while securing profits has become extremely difficult," the company said. "We will rapidly shift our focus to the content business.

King Dazzar

It doesnt take Einstein to realise that if you're going to change direction like this, then why not get ahead of it all and manage PR before hand. So either they are totally incompetent (my choice) or simply dont care (they should do as customers pay their money).

DJ12

This im not dropping 500 bucks just for a gamepass console sorry
How about 1000 bucks for a console pc hybrid not competing with Sony in the traditional console space?

Not mass market, but profitable from the start and sustainable.

Obvs, all games to PlayStation as currently planned as they no longer try and compete with the..

Atrus

Gold Member
Will Phil admit the facts or will he just couch it as “Worldwide console launch exclusives!” ?

DJ12

It doesnt take Einstein to realise that if you're going to change direction like this, then why not get ahead of it all and manage PR before hand. So either they are totally incompetent (my choice) or simply dont care (they should do as customers pay their money).
Rumour has it an exec has been leaking this because they didn't like it. I imagine they wanted to keep a lid on it until the end of the month.

A couple of shills said they knew about it, but where keeping a lid on it.

Nydius

I genuinely think that (getting ahead of it) was the plan but it got royally fucked when people inside Microsoft who were privy to these directional changes were frustrated and started leaking them out to the press. Now, as is often the case, Phil and the Xbox heads are on the back foot and what they had hoped to control is burning down around them.

Trogdor1123

Am I a terrible person for wanting them to go bananas and bring windows to the Xbox with dual boot so it’s a super cheap pc?

That tweet is definitely confirming it, business update says it all.

I still think this was a decision made last Holiday, I also believe still it comes from Microsoft, in the emails Phil was all in on exclusivity and out of nowhere decided to make all Zenimax titles exclusive to what looked like the annoyance of his CFO, Lmao.

Plus if it was long term, they simply would have told the FTC/CMA...Or the FTC/CMA would have found it out when they gathered thousands of emails from Microsoft. So it's very evident that this decision was made Holiday 2023. Something broke, I'm curious what it was. Probably after ABK the number crunchers came in since Xbox has big responsibilities on its shoulders now.
you think they will exit hardware or just put their software everywhere?

Top Bottom