• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer gets honest about Redfall

feynoob

I must be dreaming
Cant Believe It Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Last edited:

killatopak

I'm fine with Phil learning through mistake even if it was already a decade of learning at the helm of Xbox.

What I want though is results. He already said he learned stuff about other subpar launches in the past. You can't expect me to believe he is learning when he is repeating the same mistakes again and again.

GHG

When discussing the creative freedom they give to devs and what outcomes that might come about because of that - "maybe I'll undeliver for some of our fans out there"

This guy is lost. Floundering.

Nadella needs to put him out of his misery.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

They're never honest.
So, if they are never honest that means; Phil is happy about 30fps, they push back against teams creative aspirations, and RedFall met internal goals.

Blanket statements never work 😜

He thinks the problem are bugs and 30 fps. Phil the gamer.
This is a 2 minute clip from a 41 minute interview that released 19 minutes ago.

Last edited:

H-I-M

September 6th is in just 4 months. I wonder how much they'll learn "from the mistakes" in that time frame.

1.gif

Tangerine

Nothing like setting the bar high. "It doesn't crash that often". It's not so much bugs as terrible ai, budget cutscenes no real story and just uninspired gameplay. Unfixable for the most part without going back to the drawing board.

It does make me a bit concerned for starfield too.

I have an Xbox and no playstation. Just saying.

Flutta

Banned
Only fools would believe a word he says.

His track record speaks for itself. Dude loves interviews more than doing his job.

Letting this game release in this broken state and on top of that asking gamers to pay 70$ for it tells me you will always be a con-man no matter how many interviews you do. This buffon has no shame.

10 years with this dude and he’s still talking shit.

Last edited:

Nydius

Neogaf in a nutshell

I take full responsibility - Fuck him
Not my fault - Fuck him
Stays silent - Fuck him

He takes “full responsibility” while actively arguing that the game is fine because it doesn’t crash a lot. It shows he’s utterly clueless, so, yeah, fuck him. He’s out of his depth and all he’s delivered in a decade has been promises never kept.

Neogaf in a nutshell

I take full responsibility - Fuck him
Not my fault - Fuck him
Stays silent - Fuck him
the proof is in the pudding.

he can talk or not talk...when the outcome is shit it doesn't matter.

we are talking about MS. triple trillion-dollar company, with 20+ years in the industry whose direct competitor is Sony...not the fucking OUYA.

Pelta88

At 13:27. Bald head and glasses guy brings up PlayStation out of no where? Talking about how the XBOX Redfall debacle "Hurts everyone."

tenor.gif

Then he goes on to say, and I quote... "This is a big shit sandwich for everyone and we all have to take a bite... Including the Sony people."

giphy.gif

No motherfucker! I was out back when I realized XB wouldn't show me the game running on a Series X! Does Kinda funny really pay this clown to speak?!

Last edited:

Kacho

Jesus the game just came out and they are doing damage control?
Damage control and redirection is all they have right now. They know Redfall is a disappointment but please be excited for June 11. They have new surprises and first-looks from their incredibly talented internal studios. This is the day gamers have been waiting for to see what is coming to Xbox, PC, and Game Pass.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Phil talking about Redfall like it was business software rather than an immersive entertainment product. Another ‘third-rate’ product.

Well I think he's arguing that the game isn't fundamentally defective, and I agree with that. I haven't had it crash once. I haven't encountered a bug. That's a super low bar, but I see people arguing that the game is defective and I just haven't experienced that personally.

I don't think he wants to get into managing their creative vision, and instead is leaving that to the teams. It's not literally a crime to release a mid-tier game. For it to not be mid-tier, he would have to be telling the teams which creative decisions are good and which are bad. He's saying he is not going to be doing that. He's leaving that side to them.

As for optimizing graphics and performance, that's really the main thing they have no excuse on.

Dam this guy is a true game. You can see Nitendo Switch at the back display. He might have played all Sony exclusive games on PC that are ported and can easily sort out what is missing.

Nydius

They know Redfall is a disappointment but please be excited for June 11. They have new surprises and first-looks from their incredibly talented internal studios. This is the day gamers have been waiting for to see what is coming to Xbox, PC, and Game Pass.

E3 might be dead and buried but the “Wait ‘til E3!” drum beat lives on at Microsoft.

Last edited:
Top Bottom