• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer is teasing the rumored Xbox streaming stick/console codenamed Keystone in a new shelf photo

Why
That's nice. Stadia was an option as well, along with countless other streaming services (some of which still exist).
Why does it anger you so much, if it flops it flops. Are you upset that Stadia is shutting? Is it to your dismay that all these streaming sticks flopped?

GHG

Yep and you came into the conversation with this beauty.

Anyway you are welcome. I'm more than happy to discuss the optional xCloud.

And I 100% stand by that post so tough luck. It's a pipe dream for corporations, nothing more, nothings less.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Might even get smaller if this Tweet is them remotely being serious

I too know Xbox really wanted it to be the size of a streaming stick that just plugged into a TV like a Firestick, its where the whole stick part got traction

"Old prototypes"

Nice. Looking forward to see its final form.

GHG

Why

Why does it anger you so much, if it flops it flops. Are you upset that Stadia is shutting? Is it to your dismay that all these streaming sticks flopped?

It was my expectation that most of these streaming sticks/initiatives flopped. Nothing has changed since, neither my opinion or the market/technological conditions.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Whatever you want. You can have my girlfriend if you like. Your claims are so goddamn preposterous on the gaming side lmao

Lol.

I'm only half joking.

Although I don't think this device will as well as a console, I do believe that steaming and subscriptions will become the dominant way people consume games in the not too distant future.

I understand why people would be against it. If I'm being totally honest, I'm not too enthusiastic about a future where I don't own games and have to pay monthly to stream them, but 15 years ago I said the same about music and film. I haven't purchased a digital/physical film or music album in a very long time because it's just easier to stream it (although I have toyed with the idea of purchasing digital films, but unfortunately some of my favourites aren't on all platforms).

Schmick

And I 100% stand by that post so tough luck. It's a pipe dream for corporations, nothing more, nothings less.
To be fair I already consider it a success (and PS Extra). Its an ambitious undertaking. One I fully support. But, as I have already iterated. Cloud gaming will be an option and only an option. It won't take over traditional gaming. And actually how would you measure whether it's a success or not when only GPU subscribers can access it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Lol.

I'm only half joking.

Although I don't think this device will as well as a console, I do believe that steaming and subscriptions will become the dominant way people consume games in the not too distant future.

I understand why people would be against it. If I'm being totally honest, I'm not too enthusiastic about a future where I don't own games and have to pay monthly to stream them, but 15 years ago I said the same about music and film. I haven't purchased a digital/physical film or music album in a very long time because it's just easier to stream it (although I have toyed with the idea of purchasing digital films, but unfortunately some of my favourites aren't on all platforms).
I still buy the occasional blu ray/4k movie. For my favorites. I can't rely on streaming services to have them in perpetuity or at all. I just bought the 4k disc for Army of Darkness for example. Love that movie and that disc will last me my lifetime.

leo-j

Prediction time.

They are going to call these sticks Xbox Series [Something]. They will be obviously cheap, as they aren't actual console hardware, to the point where they are basically given away.

Then, six months later, they will suddenly decide to start sharing Xbox Series console sales numbers, where they count each of these keychain consoles as a full Xbox Series hardware sale..

Suddenly, transparency will be super important to the Xbox division again like it was early on with the 360.
If they sell it or bundle it with gamepass consider them the winner of the console war. A free “console” if you subscribe to gamepass for a year would do gangbusters. I would even consider getting one and I am a playstation/nintendo guy.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It will be at 5 million or less after six years and “everybody” will pretend it’s a thing.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This would be good for my nephew. He's 7 and has been playing on my old 360, and I recently got him a cheap phone and kishi controller to play on his grandpa's GP account when he's at home. This would be an affordable stepping stone towards a Series S in a year or 2.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I still buy the occasional blu ray/4k movie. For my favorites. I can't rely on streaming services to have them in perpetuity or at all. I just bought the 4k disc for Army of Darkness for example. Love that movie and that disc will last me my lifetime.

I would buy physical, but there is only so much room in my house and books take a priority.

I would buy digital films, but trying to find all the film's I want in one location is impossible. Google Play has Amadeus, but Amazon Prime doesn't for example.

Also, some films are just not available to buy digitally at all, such as the classic Come and See.

I don't know why, in 2022, there isn't a place that sells a majority of films digitally.

I managed to stream Deathloop for an hour recently over wifi and only had an issue once. While I'm still not entirely convinced that streaming is a viable solution for long playtimes, especially FPS games, xCloud is certainly on the right track.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
£79.99 in the UK if it can stream Netflix, Now TV, Prime etc and comes bundled with a controller would be ok. Personally I’m just sticking with my Series S.

AdamTank83

Neo Member
I think project keystone is behind the halo infinite book, it looks like a series s but the logo is out of place and black circle looks in center of box instead of closer to one side, I think that stuck up top is either another streaming stick prototype or there to throw us off the series s looking device. I'm probably wrong but it doesn't look like a series s with the logo and positioning of black speaker grill in it

Edit, it looks like adaptive controller, my bad, bad resolution

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Cloud streaming has been ass for me always, I have gigabit internet and it still has a delay.

this is a hard NO thanks from me.

I noticed for me it was a lot more playable on a low latency TV, when I switched to modern oled suddenly it seemed much more tolerable, to the point that some might not even notice the lag.

AdamTank83

Neo Member
I think project keystone is behind the halo infinite book, it looks like a series s but the logo is out of place and black circle looks in center of box instead of closer to one side, I think that stuck up top is either another streaming stick prototype or there to throw us off the series s looking device. I'm probably wrong but it doesn't look like a series s with the logo and positioning of black speaker grill in it
Nevermind, that's adaptive controller, damn sorry resolution

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm excited for this device, not even sure why since I have 3 xboxes already. I think $99 with controller is a magic price point.
Also have noticed that xcloud runs much better on xbox hardware, so if that's the case here it will help with the lag.

Sleepwalker

And now for some of the juicy bits.

$99 seems like the ideal price for something like this, especially in light of how over priced that recent Logitech cloud device was.

If you can play owned games and not just gamepass games im in for one, I travel a lot lol

Gamers have demonstrated over and over again that they dont give a fuck about streaming. Dead on arrival
And when the Xbox One came put gamers also said they didn't give a fuck about digital games compared to physical, yet here we are.
Xcloud is being used alongside Xbox. It's not a one and done business model like Stadia. It allows you to play without a console if you so choose. That is what this is all about. Choices where and how to play your games. Xbox has led the way in making their games accessible. Console, PC and even cloud. It's one that Sony are now copying.

Why would anyone buy this over a Xbox series s lol, u can afford a 100 dollar system and a gamepass subscription and high speed broadband, but can’t pay the extra $100 for a preowned Xbox ss, clueless ms as always.

Last edited:

sendit

No one wants to use their phone for that. Not to mention how this device will outperform a phone in both controller latency and streaming quality.
In what logical way? Data packets go from x device to y host/server pending any hops in between. Is this device going to magically get rid of physical latency?

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Why would anyone buy this over a Xbox series s lol, u can afford a 100 dollar system and a gamepass subscription and high speed broadband, but can’t pay the extra for $100 for a preowned Xbox ss, clueless ms as always.
Clueless? It's about options, and they are making really smart moves.

Who will buy it? Me, for another room. At 99.99 that is impulse buy territory. You can have an Xbox already and buy it, maybe you would never buy a Xbox, but at $100 you will etc. Or buy a series s at 200 or 250, you can, nothing is stopping anyone

It's about options. And at that price point, anyone one can literally buy for the heck of it 😂

Last edited:

Three

Most TVs don’t have XCloud support.

Buy a USB-C to HDMI adapter + purchase a controller for $60 + lose all access to your phone while gaming vs buying this puck for $99.

I know which one sounds more reasonable.
Who says this is $99 with a controller or that you need to buy a controller in the first place considering these are console users buying it for travel. you have one already. Bit of a stretch making a mountain out of a molehill, no?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

$99 seems like the ideal price for something like this, especially in light of how over priced that recent Logitech cloud device was.

How will it be possible to do 4K HDR streaming?

coffinbirth

Last edited:
Tastes like Red bull mixed with Doritos and smells like asscrack
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

This is just going to harm the Xbox brand, anyone tried streaming games when someone is watching something on Netflix, it’s not a pretty sight.😫

MarkMe2525

This is just going to harm the Xbox brand, anyone tried streaming games when someone is watching something on Netflix, it’s not a pretty sight.😫
??? I stream on the couch next to my wife as she is watching Netflix all the time. Unless you are on a bandwidth starved connection, distance to data center is the most important variable. I have good results with a ping of 42 ms.

Reallink

They sold entire Xbox One S's with UHD BD Drives, Controller, Cables, Bundled Games, and infinitely more capable local hardware for $149.99 over the Holidays 3 or 4 years ago. $99 is a rip off for a Firestick by comparison.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

Will it come with 70,000 built-in games and a gazillion emulators?

Top Bottom