• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants to buy Nintendo: i honestly believe a good move for both companies

Bernoulli

M2 slut

xiskza

It's not just locker room talk. They're explicitly saying that they hope ValueAct/Mason Morfit will pressure Nintendo to use up their capital through market expansion, which will create an opportunity for Microsoft to acquire Nintendo when the latter has less cash on hand. It's much more nefarious than just wanting to acquire Nintendo. They want to forcibly create a situation where Nintendo fails through unsustainable growth and buy them up.

This is missed in a lot of the reports where they just focus on Phil hoping to acquire Nintendo. I think Microsoft having an actual plan to force Nintendo to fail is quite alarming and anti-competitive. It's leaning towards corporate sabotaging.

Looks like they have former board of directors acquiring shares in Nintendo, email’s from 2020.
OEE9jZ0.jpg

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
We all know how this will go in the events of Microsoft buying up all western developers.

Sony and Nintendo will merge. The Japanese are honorable people and rather see their business crumble than let it fall into the wrong hands.

GHG

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Spencer has learned fuck all in 20+ years.

Nintendo executive in original meeting

Time to get laughed out of the room again, just like 20 years ago.

You might want to hold that though for a second. They are trying a different method this time:

Enter for hire "activist investor" Mason Morfit:

Looks like they have former board of directors acquiring shares in Nintendo, email’s from 2020.

image0.jpg

L*][*N*K

Banned
A free to play Splatoon on Steam and mobile could actually be a huge hit, I don't know what else they would do with each other though.

killatopak

I know it’ll be a good move for Xbox but I can’t think of a reason it’ll be good for Nintendo off the top of my head. Best I can think of is more 3rd party support?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Interesting plans Phil, i think he wants personal achievements more than making the right move

Americans will never understand how Nintendo games are planned and made, not even Sony can
Yeah, the "big career moment for me" is so stupid. Make your name by doing the job you're assigned to do -- not by making needless headlines.

Phil is clearly an egoistic person who wants to stay in the limelight. And doing these acquisitions with Microsoft's money puts him in the spotlight with interviews and Twitter warriors, and he seems to enjoy it more than his job as the Head of Xbox.

Last edited:
Reason #78474628293 why Microsoft are the Cancer of the gaming industry. They don’t wanna create anything worthwhile or add to gaming, they just want to buy and gobble up everything. A shitty company to be honest. It’s why I’ve never really believed the “good guy Phil” bullshit and Kumbaya talk from Phil all these years. I can see right through their bullshit.

No company or person that cares about gaming would want Nintendo to go broke or bankrupt. The guys over at MS are truly assholes that don’t give a shit about this hobby of ours.

GHG

The worst part is about their BOD acquiring Nintendo Shares and then collaborating with Microsoft so they can buy Nintendo.

Eww.

It's not their BOD, they are using a proxy.

It's fucking disgusting.

This is why I said what I said with regards to Square Enix's sudden drop in share price, when something like that happens so suddenly it's all orchestrated and there's usually someone who stands to gain behind it all, using third parties to do their dirty work.

Nothing that happened regarding Activision Blizzard was coincidental.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I wonder what Nintendo will make of all this.

Two things are for certain, they will now be closely monitoring the activity regarding their stock, and secondly they might be looking at that Activision deal in a different light.
Personally I hope they move to severe ties with MS after this but they probably won’t as MS seem to understand that a buy out has to be consensual.

I have to say I want whatever Phil is smoking if he thinks that would be a good move for Nintendo, it’d be the death of Nintendo.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
According to the email, Microsoft have been eyeing up Nintendo and Valve?

If Microsoft got either it would be terrible for the industry. Sure I'd love to play Mario Kart 4K on my series X, but I don't want Microsoft to have total control of the gaming sector. That would be a nightmare scenario.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Personally I hope they move to severe ties with MS after this but they probably won’t as MS seem to understand that a buy out has to be consensual.

I have to say I want whatever Phil is smoking if he thinks that would be a good move for Nintendo, it’d be the death of Nintendo.
They just signed a 10 years deal

the only thing that can be done is ask the CMA to block the acquisition

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's not their BOD, they are using a proxy.

It's fucking disgusting.

This is why I said what I said with regards to Square Enix's sudden drop in share price, when something like that happens so suddenly it's all orchestrated and there's usually someone who stands to gain behind it all, using third parties to do their dirty work.

Nothing that happened regarding Activision Blizzard was coincidental.
I meant Ex-BOD.

They are clearly using their contact with vested interests in Microsoft (stock options) as a proxy to further increase his and Microsoft's interests. It is disgusting.

I hope Nintendo cracks down on it HARD!

Zones

The worst part is about their BOD acquiring Nintendo Shares and then collaborating with Microsoft so they can buy Nintendo.

Eww.
Sadly not an unprecedented move from MS…

Microsoft’s landmark decision to buy Nokia’s handset business for $7.2 billion will put Stephen Elop back into business working at the company where he was before he became CEO of Nokia — he’s now the Microsoft’s EVP for devices and services.

Kakax11

Banned
Yeah, the "big career moment for me" is so stupid. Make your name by doing the job you're assigned to do -- not by making needless headlines.

Phil is clearly an egoistic person who wants to stay in the limelight. And doing these acquisitions with Microsoft's money puts him in the spotlight with interviews and Twitter warriors, and he seems to enjoy it more than his job as the Head of Xbox.

Well, anyone getting the job of running a multi-billion $ company gets excited about spending money a little too much to show off he can do that

what he did for Xbox since he took over Don Mattrick is actually very good, buying Nintendo is not the move to make at all, maybe NamcoBandai??

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Yeah, I believe they used Mike Ybarra similarly with the Activision-Blizzard-King acquisition.

mansoor1980

Gold Member

never knew about these tactics from MS
important info

damidu

yeah fuck these guys
cancer of whatever industry they weasel their way in.
it’s monopolistic microsoft of 90s all over again. they have not and will not learn shit.

they were just colossally fucked by missing early 2000s internet and smart phone revolution to act like a good boy for a while.

time to dismantle these morons to tiny pieces and let each one compete by their own merits

Last edited:
Top Bottom