• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: XGS titles for the “next couple of years” will be cross-gen

All the concern trolling in like 87 different threads on here over this. I think i wont stop laughing all night if the 'held back by XB1' games Microsoft show actually look better then the 'next gen only' games sony showed. And its hardly outside the realms of possibility of that happening after the show Sony had.

So, you laugh when someone falls and breaks a leg too?

Nice attitude.

2 games, 2 games out of what?, 27 shown?. Those 2 games always come up in defence if anyone dares say they werent impressed with Sony's show. Thing is, a lot werent impressed, even some Sony fans if you go back and read through the thread. There is a reason why most of the radicals were going in every thread they could to proclaim a '10/10' for Sony's show when a lot of dissapointment was being talked about.

I picked two of their exclusives, if I mentioned how great Resident Evil Village was I'd expect the counter to be about how it's not PS exclusive or something. I'd like to know what games weren't impressive and what about them didn't impress you and why I should care that anyone feels the same way as you? This is called argumentum ad populum, I really don't care if the entire gaming world was unimpressed by literally everything showed, I was impressed and want to know why others weren't.

The Alien

Banned
I don't get the point really. Especially since even MS has to see Xbone as a failure. Why not forget that as soon as possible and move on.
As poor as the console sold, they still PROFIT billions off XBox services. Services.

MS doesn't care that they "only" sold 50 million consoles. They care significantly more that they have 10M GamePass subscribers and over 90M Live users (across PC, XBox, etc.).

They want everyone to come on board.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not sure if serious, the exclusive games on PS4 at launch like Shadow Fall looked far better than the cross-gen games. You want a perfect example of what cross-gen games do for you look at Dark Souls ll (one of my favorite games). If Sony were doing this I'd also be "concern trolling" because I hate when games are cross-gen, cross-gen is why Watch_Dogs turned out how it did, for "parity" we know for a fact cross-gen has held back games that were famously downgraded. I'm also not sure what I am to make of people deriding Sony's show, like you didn't see that Horizon Zero Dawn 2 trailer? The new Ratchet and Clank? Really?

I don’t really see a situation where Horizon Forbidden West - made exclusively for the Ps5 - ends up looking worse than Halo Infinite - made to run on vanilla XBox One.

Evilms

Banned
47i1gl.jpg

Sethbacca

This post reads to me like "no matter what Microsoft does someone will complain, why can't they be universally praised by everyone for a decision?" Which is just absurd on its face.

Nailed it. Selling someone a $500-600 system to play last gen games for a couple years flies in the face of everything those of us gaming for 30-40 years hold as norms. It's not pro consumer, it's expanding your base at the cost of alienating gamers who look forward to generational change.

I mean it may work out for them but meh......

Hunnybun

All the concern trolling in like 87 different threads on here over this. I think i wont stop laughing all night if the 'held back by XB1' games Microsoft show actually look better then the 'next gen only' games sony showed. And its hardly outside the realms of possibility of that happening after the show Sony had.

What do you mean, 'after the show Sony had'?

It was excellent.

Stuart360

I picked two of their exclusives, if I mentioned how great Resident Evil Village was I'd expect the counter to be about how it's not PS exclusive or something. I'd like to know what games weren't impressive and what about them didn't impress you and why I should care that anyone feels the same way as you? This is called argumentum ad populum, I really don't care if the entire gaming world was unimpressed by literally everything showed, I was impressed and want to know why others weren't.
Make up your mind

200.gif

As poor as the console sold, they still PROFIT billions off XBox services. Services.

MS doesn't care that they "only" sold 50 million consoles. They care significantly more that they have 10M GamePass subscribers and over 90M Live users (across PC, XBox, etc.).

Why are PC users subscribing to Xbox Live? Do they mean the XBOX game bar thing that comes standard with Windows 10 and autoruns in the background for all of us? Like are they counting me, a non-gold person who happens to have his XBOX Live account connected on PC?

Make up your mind

200.gif

Those aren't contradictory ideas, I care how an INDIVIDUAL feels in an argument, I do not care what a group thinks that isn't part of said argument.

nikolino840

I get why people make the PC analogy when talking about this topic, but do you honestly think PC games wouldn't be 1000 times better if devs could focus their efforts on developing for hardware released only in the last 2 years rather than supporting 15 years of legacy hardware? If you say no to this I'm calling you a liar.
I don't know. ..but hzd and death stranding are the bells and wistlers of the ps4 version...
And why there's some are saying that multiplat are better on pc? Red dead 2 Xbox one = red dead 2 on a 2000 $ pc

Stuart360

What do you mean, 'after the show Sony had'?

It was excellent.
It was a solid show in terms of the amount of games and variety (too many cartoon style games for me though), but as a showing of next gen visuals, it was dissapointing for me, after the hype. Loads of people on this very forum felt the same.

I know the whole PS5 fastest console because of their SSD has become kind of like a meme, but doesn't this stance from MS basically confirm that?

MS will be making their 1st party games to the limitations of the Xbox One, one of the biggest of which is the HDD. The Series X games will just be upgraded versions of the Xbox One games with better resolution/frame rates/load times, unless they want to design different games altogether.

We saw a glimpse of how level design can be affected by SSD in Ratchet and Clank (which is just at launch) and I'm sure games like Horizon 2 will build upon that even further. I find it very difficult to believe those games would be what they are design-wise if Sony still had to build them with the PS4's limitations in mind.

Sethbacca

I don't know. ..but hzd and death stranding are the bells and wistlers of the ps4 version...
And why there's some are saying that multiplat are better on pc? Red dead 2 Xbox one = red dead 2 on a 2000 $ pc

I mean, I have a gaming PC too, but just like the console wars people gotta stick up for their box of choice and justify it's 5x cost guess.

The Alien

Banned
I'll take a stab here.

First, Sony's show was much better than Microsoft's May showcase. We'll see how the MS July show goes.

Next, these type of shows, in general, are for everyone...so at best you may only like 70% of what's shown because these companies are trying to cast wide nets. That explains vids showing NBA to RE: Village to Bugsnax.
Or in Microsoft: NFL to The Medium to kiddy cartoon games.

Now, IMO... why wasn't I impressed with Sony's show?
  • Miles Morales: cool but clearly built off the PS4 game. I'll still play it.
  • RE: Village: actually looked awesome, but yeah, multi-plat.
  • Deathloop: looked good, not great.
  • HZD: for those psyched, I get it. Game looked great. I wasnt a huge fan of the first one though..just wasnt my game.
  • Lil Devil I thought looked pretty cool.
  • Bugsnax: f'ing LOL. It's already a meme.
  • Cool console reveal, but I still feel like there are so many questions that still remain about it.
I think it's great if peeps were impressed. Get psyched. Trolls will say it was shit, but it wasnt. I thought it was a fine showing, just not amazing.

nikolino840

I mean, I have a gaming PC too, but just like the console wars people gotta stick up for their box of choice and justify it's 5x cost guess.
I don't have a gaming pc,but i'm playing gears tactics at 720p 30fps and the game have set at medium/low
Does change something in your pc? Or is just bells and the other things

TLZ

Banned
I wonder if they are trying to temper expectations. Was it Greenberg on Twitter that just said he saw some "wild expectations" or something similar? Yeah right here.

That to me says there are people expecting more than we are going to get, but I haven't personally seen anything outrageous. What are we all expecting? A decent list of good games? I hope that's not "wild."

I just want a show of great game after great game. I don't want any of that boring developer talk to fill up the hour. Leave that for a separate developer video.

Stuart360

Why are PC users subscribing to Xbox Live? Do they mean the XBOX game bar thing that comes standard with Windows 10 and autoruns in the background for all of us? Like are they counting me, a non-gold person who happens to have his XBOX Live account connected on PC?
You need a XLive account to use Gamepass. And as i had to make a Live account when i signed up to Gamepass, no they dont count the Xbox bar thing as Live subs.

Last edited:
I'll take a stab here.

First, Sony's show was much better than Microsoft's May showcase. We'll see how the MS July show goes.

Next, these type of shows, in general, are for everyone...so at best you may only like 70% of what's shown because these companies are trying to cast wide nets. That explains vids showing NBA to RE: Village to Bugsnax.
Or in Microsoft: NFL to The Medium to kiddy cartoon games.

Now, IMO... why wasn't I impressed with Sony's show?
  • Miles Morales: cool but clearly built off the PS4 game. I'll still play it.
  • RE: Village: actually looked awesome, but yeah, multi-plat.
  • Deathloop: looked good, not great.
  • HZD: for those psyched, I get it. Game looked great. I wasnt a huge fan of the first one though..just wasnt my game.
  • Lil Devil I thought looked pretty cool.
  • Bugsnax: f'ing LOL. It's already a meme.
  • Cool console reveal, but I still feel like there are so many questions that still remain about it.
I think it's great if peeps were impressed. Get psyched. Trolls will say it was shit, but it wasnt. I thought it was a fine showing, just not amazing.

That's all fine I just wonder about people using it as a cudgel against Sony as if Next-Gen for them looks less bright because of it.

You need a XLive account to use Gamepass. And as i had to make a Live account when i signed up to Gamepass, not they dont count the Xbox bar thing as Live subs.

But Gamepass only has 10 million subs, how do we reach 90 million Live accounts? My PC Live account I use for Gamepass is not a paid for account, I pay for Gamepass, not Live.

Hunnybun

It was a solid show in terms of the amount of games and variety (too many cartoon style games for me though), but as a showing of next gen visuals, it was dissapointing for me, after the hype. Loads of people on this very forum felt the same.

Fair enough, but your phrasing implied that it's the received wisdom that it was bad.

When the response was generally very positive.

I agree that too many cartoony games were shown, as it's harder to translate increased fidelity in those to a real generational leap. Sony would've been wiser to show a bit more of realistic looking games.

BUT all that said, the fact that almost everything ran at native 4K and - cartoony visuals aside - with something approaching a generational leap, I found extremely impressive. I was expecting Ratchet, e.g., to be revealed as some kind of reconstructed 4k. To have that leap in fidelity, at native 4K, AND with ray tracing. That's seriously impressive.

Klayzer

Ohh Phil, can you please just stay away from making comments to the public for a while, please. First it was one year, now it's a couple of years. Just let the upcoming content speak for themselves.

I see the usual suspects trying to stifle opinions about Xbox they don't like, carry on.

Ellery

After seeing assassins creed valhalla - no thanks, Phil!

Well to be fair Assassin's Creed is not a first party xbox game, but I agree that it looks extremely dated for a late 2020 game. Doesn't help that we got RDR2 and TLOU2 recently

Any way you slice it or spin it, this is a disappointment, especially after such a long wait and anticipation. Finally after 7 years, you get the world’s most powerful console with next generation games. Hey guys, we don’t want to leave anyone behind, so we are going to hold back somewhat with the world’s most powerful console for about.......2 years so no one will feel left out. While I understand their generosity and strategy, but aren’t they trying to sell us on their next generation console over the competition? Oh yeah, um.....the games could be $70. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Fair enough, but your phrasing implied that it's the received wisdom that it was bad.

When the response was generally very positive.

I agree that too many cartoony games were shown, as it's harder to translate increased fidelity in those to a real generational leap. Sony would've been wiser to show a bit more of realistic looking games.

BUT all that said, the fact that almost everything ran at native 4K and - cartoony visuals aside - with something approaching a generational leap, I found extremely impressive. I was expecting Ratchet, e.g., to be revealed as some kind of reconstructed 4k. To have that leap in fidelity, at native 4K, AND with ray tracing. That's seriously impressive.
Dont get me wrong, i expected what we got to an extent. I had said numerous times on here over the last year or so that there will be a fair amount of next gen games that look like good XB1/PS4 games but at 4k. Now throw ray tracing into the mix as well and we are probably doing well to get the 'jump' we got at Sony's show.
Now imagine if next gen games were targeting 1440p with little or no ray tracing, imagine the kind of jump we would of seen from a 10tf machine.

TLZ

Banned
2 games, 2 games out of what?, 27 shown?. Those 2 games always come up in defence if anyone dares say they werent impressed with Sony's show. Thing is, a lot werent impressed
It's normal for a lot of people to not be impressed in something, and at the same time even whole a lot more were impressed.

In this case, the Sony future of gaming show, while you're right 40,000 people weren't impressed, 490,000 were.

So it did do something right and tickled a lot of people in the right spots.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong, i expected what we got to an extent. I had said numerous times on here over the last year or so that there will be a fair amount of next gen games that look like good XB1/PS4 games but at 4k. Now throw ray tracing into the mix as well and we are probably doing well to get the 'jump' we got at Sony's show.
Now imagine if next gen games were targeting 1440p with little or no ray tracing, imagine the kind of jump we would of seen from a 10tf machine.

Some of the generational leaps PS5 and Series X are providing involve things like loading times, data streaming, etc. stuff that is hard to convey via a short demo. If we're strictly talking big effects the showstoppers will always be the first party titles.

Yah cos those 90 million live users are actually paying for gold 😂.

How does a live person work on pc exactly? Having the app?

Grinchy

Banned
Nailed it. Selling someone a $500-600 system to play last gen games for a couple years flies in the face of everything those of us gaming for 30-40 years hold as norms. It's not pro consumer, it's expanding your base at the cost of alienating gamers who look forward to generational change.

I mean it may work out for them but meh......
I think you're giving them too much credit. I don't even think it's about expanding their base. I think it simply comes down to bad scheduling and management of internal studios.

And then all the new ones they bought were purchased near the end of this generation and weren't going to be ready to release for the launch year. So, instead of letting it all be seen for what it is, they came up with this absolutely brilliant PR. I hope they put as much creativity into their new games as they put into this PR push.

TheGrat1

See? This is all he had to say and that other thread would not exist. Nothing in this statement gets him in trouble with contradictions and double talk. Keep speaking like this Spencer...if you can.

I am going to be honest when I say that I really don't see why people are complaining about this. It's nothing new and the only thing new is that the Xbox One and Xbox Series X use the same basic architecture (64bit x86) and many games have been cross generational forever really. Sonic the Hedgehog was the Genesis's marque title yet it also released on the Game Gear/Master System. God of War 2 was released on PS2 over a year after the PS3 came out and there are also many other examples.

And I also really doubt that with the massive amounts of scalability that exists in game development that the actual professional developers can't make their game work on older hardware if they want to. That's not to say that there aren't games that conceptually would need the SSD and other horsepower, but I honestly think that most games that come out during the first half of this coming generation really won't need all that additional tech. With the fact that the consoles all have the same architectures and APIs and that the games are coming out on PC as well, there will absolutely be a good amount of scalability that the devs can get out of the games without them being compromised.

I can guarantee that every game that comes out during this cross generation period will absolutely look and feel next generation on the new consoles.

I also don't see why many people are complaining. This move is good for gamers and it's good for Microsoft

Romulus

It will be the other way around. Xbox One versions will look so horrific, users will have to upgrade....and you won't see those versions running until they are on store shelves due to how utterly shit they look.

Hm.

I just don't see a point against developing an exclusive around a specific set of specs. Anytime you add more consoles to the equation, it lessens the advantage. Only in this case, the imagination and scale of worlds are extremely limited to a system that was underpowered in 2013.

There's a reason some XSX 3rd party games are skipping the XB1 altogether, same reason most PS5 exclusives are skipping PS4. And it's not because they don't like money. In order to get the most out of specific hardware, you need to develop a game around those specs. XSX is very unique, and this even furthers the point that they'll never get as much out of as they could have without XB1. Its an anchor. Even from the concept stage of development, hardware specs are one of the most important aspects of developing your game.

Hunnybun

Tell me about it. Native 4k is a travesty. Ray tracing is mostly a luxury at this point.

I don't agree though that they just look like very good current gen games.

Ratchet, Horizon, Project Athia, Village, Demon's Souls, Pragmata, and maybe Kena looked a full generation ahead of PS4.

Others like Stray, Ghostwire Tokyo, Destruction Allstars, Deathloop, Little Devil Inside looked like decent first generation titles, not mind blowing but decidedly better than anything current gen.

I'm not sure about Spider-Man tbh. It just looks like a prettier version of the PS4 game to me, it was pretty disappointing.

Batiman

Banned
We’ll see how it plays out. I didn’t see any next gen game that couldn’t obviously work fine on PS4/xb1 yet. Two years is really nothing. At least I could play some games with my son online having more consoles at home. A couple years really isn’t long

Schmick

I am going to be honest when I say that I really don't see why people are complaining about this. It's nothing new and the only thing new is that the Xbox One and Xbox Series X use the same basic architecture (64bit x86) and many games have been cross generational forever really. Sonic the Hedgehog was the Genesis's marque title yet it also released on the Game Gear/Master System. God of War 2 was released on PS2 over a year after the PS3 came out and there are also many other examples.

And I also really doubt that with the massive amounts of scalability that exists in game development that the actual professional developers can't make their game work on older hardware if they want to. That's not to say that there aren't games that conceptually would need the SSD and other horsepower, but I honestly think that most games that come out during the first half of this coming generation really won't need all that additional tech. With the fact that the consoles all have the same architectures and APIs and that the games are coming out on PC as well, there will absolutely be a good amount of scalability that the devs can get out of the games without them being compromised.

I can guarantee that every game that comes out during this cross generation period will absolutely look and feel next generation on the new consoles.

I also don't see why many people are complaining. This move is good for gamers and it's good for Microsoft
I'm with you on this.

Stuart360

For all we know all the first party games could be developed on XSX and a side studio paid to convert the game to XB1. I dont think that IS happening, but it does happen, i mean look at the Switch ports.
And speaking of Switch, there has alrady been devs saying they will be able to port next gen games to the fucking Switch, just think about that for a second. Obviously all these modern engines have great scalability in them. XB1 versions could be 720p and a stuttery 30fps for all we know.

oagboghi2

Probably to play games on? Seems logical to me.
I can play the game on my PC.

So I ask again, why should I buy this console?

Hell, apparently I can buy an Xbox one X and not miss anything. Why wouldn't I just do that and save 300 dollars?

Stuart360

Tell me about it. Native 4k is a travesty. Ray tracing is mostly a luxury at this point.

I don't agree though that they just look like very good current gen games.

Ratchet, Horizon, Project Athia, Village, Demon's Souls, Pragmata, and maybe Kena looked a full generation ahead of PS4.

Others like Stray, Ghostwire Tokyo, Destruction Allstars, Deathloop, Little Devil Inside looked like decent first generation titles, not mind blowing but decidedly better than anything current gen.

I'm not sure about Spider-Man tbh. It just looks like a prettier version of the PS4 game to me, it was pretty disappointing.
Well its like that game, cant rememebr the name, the one that looked like a fantasy style Zelda game. It looked great, but we got the recent PC requirements and they were just like a good current gen game, people were shocked the requirements were so low.

Jtibh

Banned
So basically every XSX game from their studios will be an upgraded XB1 game. Nothing designed around the strengths of the XSX for at least 2 years. By that time, mid gen refreshes will be getting closer.
Given how quick microsoft gets rid off 2 year old consoles, cough xbox x cough , it will happen 100 percent.

And they say sony is anti consumer with their strategy.

I dont know man but if i have to buy a 600hp car and you tell me i will be able to only use 200hp for the first 2 years i rather buy something usefull or something cheaper for half price. But i think they got you right there with their discontinued xbox and s.

So you are forced to buy series x or cockhard but you wont get to see the full potential till 2 years down the road.

Yep thats microsoft for ya.

I wonder if they are trying to temper expectations. Was it Greenberg on Twitter that just said he saw some "wild expectations" or something similar? Yeah right here.

That to me says there are people expecting more than we are going to get, but I haven't personally seen anything outrageous. What are we all expecting? A decent list of good games? I hope that's not "wild."

The most that I've seen is some people saying that Microsoft will show games that look much better than what Sony showed at their reveal. However it's only a couple of people that are doing that.

The majority seem to have some pretty realistic expectations for the event. On a side note Microsoft isn't hyping it to the high heavens which is good to see because they will avoid more people getting disappointed that way.

I personally believe it will be a nice event but it won't destroy the competitions previous showing. Both manufacturers will have some pretty good offering in terms of games. I don't think anyone should worry.

Top Bottom