• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: XGS titles for the “next couple of years” will be cross-gen

REE Machine

Banned
It'll be funny to see what people say if MS shows better looking games than than Sony on the 23rd.

This.

The funny thing is..if MS's games show better on the 23rd (whether by a little or a lot), nobody is going to say "Wow thats impressive..imagine the quality in 2 years when they are developed exclusively for the Series X."
They'll just put whatever negative spin on it they can.

Meanwhile, PS5 games from Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Bend aren't even coming until *at least* 2 or more years in.
But atleast we know they are coming, MS sequels to most franchises this gen prob arent happening cus they killed them off. Hell I want MS to show quality games because thats my buggest problem with them. Show me quality bangers and ill buy your console, its simple as that. This gen all they did was talk a big game and not show up to the party, so it leaves me skeptical

ZywyPL

Banned
At the start of this gen, nearly everyone was Bitching about cross gen games and how the previous gen was holding next gen back.

The irony is, PS3/X360 had actually more powerful CPUs than PS4/XB1, and the games were actually more advanced than what we got this generation, the worlds got bigger thanks to 8GB RAM, but everything else was a serious step down.

MrMiyagi

Banned
It will be the other way around. Xbox One versions will look so horrific, users will have to upgrade....and you won't see those versions running until they are on store shelves due to how utterly shit they look.
If that's true then why would they even bother with a Xbox One version? My guess it that Infinite will be one of the best looking Xone games, and it will look practically the same on Series X, just in 4k,60fps and some ray tracing slapped on top.

Also, after the 2 years all Series X games will be designed around the limitations of the 4Tflops Lockhart. Series X is practically stuck with running those games in 4k/60fps, even though a RTX2080 can be brought to its knees running current games at those settings... MS is really shooting themselves in the foot with their 'all in' strategy, especially when Sony drops their exclusive bombs that will be completely uncompromised by a dramatically weaker console variant or potato spec PCs.

SegaShack

Internet is crazy. Last gen everyone was on about how companies are anti consumer. I think this move is awesome. I can buy a new xbox but I buy maybe 3 or 4 games a year and my projector is 1080p.

I'm gonna keep rocking my OG Xbox One. If someone doesn't have 4k what's the point?

It's like GAF is against having options in games. A lot of N64 games let you choose to use the expansion pack enhancements or not. PC games have a whole range of settings.

I love that I will be able to still buy newer games without needing another box under my tv.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
He said 'Perception' and I agree. That is the danger when you blur the lines between gens so much, and when buying Halo or Forza on Xbox means a choice between versions on Xbox One, Lockhart and Series X.
Here’s the original quote: “
"It's just upscaled Xbox One games. PS5 will have real next-gen games."

That'll be word of mouth. It's already starting.
Even Spencer is indirectly preparing you to lower your expectations, while trying to sell you an XSX at the same time.

But everyone's free to interpret it their own way.”

I don’t see the word Perception in there, just a wrong assumption on his part.

FacelessSamurai

If that's true then why would they even bother with a Xbox One version? My guess it that Infinite will be one of the best looking Xone games, and it will look practically the same on Series X, just in 4k,60fps and some ray tracing slapped on top.

Also, after the 2 years all Series X games will be designed around the limitations of the 4Tflops Lockhart. Series X is practically stuck with running those games in 4k/60fps, even though a RTX2080 can be brought to its knees running current games at those settings... MS is really shooting themselves in the foot with their 'all in' strategy, especially when Sony drops their exclusive bombs that will be completely uncompromised by a dramatically weaker console variant or potato spec PCs.
If only that was how it worked...

FacelessSamurai

First party now has a choice on whether to develop for cross-gen or go next-gen only. Make up your mind.

Maybe you should go back and read the original interview because he never said “all” first party games were cross gen. Considering he said we will see on the 23rd must mean some stuff will be next gen only. So why would his messaging change only 6 days from their big conference?

Maybe you should go back and read the original interview because he never said “all” first party games were cross gen. Considering he said we will see on the 23rd must mean some stuff will be next gen only. So why would his messaging change only 6 days from their big conference?

No, you should. Dude keeps flip-flopping.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Xbox is surprisingly popular in the u.s and u.k for whatever reason. its popular with cod bros and other shooter fans. i think they will stick with the console next gen. they were fine with a weaker console, a pretty underwhelming lineup of exclusives and kinect, they will be ok with some cross gen games.

I think Phil knows this and his main plan is the lockhart. he wants to go after the $299 market that comes into play 2-3 years down the line and goes for the slim. He wants them on day one, and who knows? i think it might work. this audience doesnt know about specs or care about them. you tell them a $299 console is available and they will go buy it. switch's success is proof that no one gives a shit about specs.

problem is that Xbox doesn’t have the library Sony does. People want to play Spiderman, the only way to do that is on PS5

If PS5 DE is within $100 of Lockhart, then Lockhart will seem like a poor value proposition

the PlayStation brand and library is too strong for people to go with a lesser product

oldergamer

They may show better looking games but what is the point of a gen if things like AI and game world design don't change due to being tied down to a Jaguar CPU and slow ass HDD?

I'm sure they will hold back some mundane shit like drivatars from old gen just for the PR but the truth is that the install base they have they want the gamepass subscription and game sales from hence why this is happening and games will be less ambitious in scope because of it.
Again, there's an assumption here that more cpu = more or better ai. However more cpu might mean other things. Ai is scalable depending how on implementation, how often it updates or reacts to a player. There have been games years old that had better ai then current games today. Im talking 20 years old.

Assumption here is we didnt see a lick of difference in ai last gen and im only expecting similar things this gen

Raimond

I mean with the whole Xcloud integration, won't need to pay for an Xbox console upgrade. So that's good for me!

What sucks is that even though I used the $1 trick for Game Pass Ultimate, with all the amazing PS4 exclusives, that's still my main machine.

Psykodad

Banned
Here’s the original quote: “
"It's just upscaled Xbox One games. PS5 will have real next-gen games."

That'll be word of mouth. It's already starting.
Even Spencer is indirectly preparing you to lower your expectations, while trying to sell you an XSX at the same time.

But everyone's free to interpret it their own way.”

I don’t see the word Perception in there, just a wrong assumption on his part.
I was talking about perception, but indeed, I didn't say it.

You choose to misinterpret that post for a 3rd time now, though.

Last edited:
"You won’t be forced into the next generation. We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives. "

Time to retire, Phil. A new system with nothing to show what it can do? It's over before it even began. Nice job.

"You won’t be forced into the next generation. We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives. "

Time to retire, Phil. A new system with nothing to show what it can do? It's over before it even began. Nice job.

You do know that upcoming 1st party games like Playgrounds new Fable, Hellblade2, The Initiatives new rumored Perfect Dark,etc are next gen only, and will probably be shown at the MS July event? Or how about the new Bloober horror game that is next gen only?

What will be your excuse if Halo Infinite(cross gen) looks better than any game shown at the Sony event?

Three

Again, there's an assumption here that more cpu = more or better ai. However more cpu might mean other things. Ai is scalable depending how on implementation, how often it updates or reacts to a player. There have been games years old that had better ai then current games today. Im talking 20 years old.

Assumption here is we didnt see a lick of difference in ai last gen and im only expecting similar things this gen
More CPU doesn't mean more or better AI but it certainly offers the potential for it if MS or other publishers were willing. They were pushing the computing 'power of the cloud' offering new game experiences this gen so why cant more powerful local machines now?
We won't see better AI or Physics because there is no willingness from them as this quote makes clear. They are playing it safe for sales/subscriptions. Not surprised at least, if they were willing to invest in new next gen games/gameplay we would have seen VR support from them already I guess.

All the haters are gonna look stupid next week when a cross gen game looks better then anything shown on ps5
next week you will see a lot of games that look worse than what Sony showed

tenor.gif

FrankMStone

Neo Member
Looking back... well technically not really most, but still quite a few. Which either confirms they are far from ready or that they switched their stance on supporting the XB1 for much longer than this launch window.

XB1 Support:

Halo Infinite, Tell Me Why, Ori, The Outer Worlds, Grounded, Psychonauts 2, Destiny 2, Tetris, The Gunk, PSO2, CrossfireX.

Series X Exclusives:

State of Decay 3, Forza, Everwild, Avowed, As Dusk Falls, Stalker 2, Darktide, The Medium and Fable

You do know that upcoming 1st party games like Playgrounds new Fable, Hellblade2, The Initiatives new rumored Perfect Dark,etc are next gen only, and will probably be shown at the MS July event? Or how about the new Bloober horror game that is next gen only?

What will be your excuse if Halo Infinite(cross gen) looks better than any game shown at the Sony event?
All the haters are gonna look stupid next week when a cross gen game looks better then anything shown on ps5
FarawayDownrightHornet-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Aged like the finest milk, squeezed from the teats of Phil Spencer.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is what Van Jones calls a "Nothingburger".

If the PS5 is getting games like Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet and Clank 6, Demons Souls, Death Loop etc...then Phil Spencer is a genius and this cross gen policy makes Sony brass look like morons.

If Sony shows of Horizon FW (or new games) gameplay that looks like it couldn't be done on the PS4...then us hardcore fanboys can give Sony the W.

But right now, Sony has shown nothing that suggests MS has made a mistake.
This post aged well....

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
All the concern trolling in like 87 different threads on here over this. I think i wont stop laughing all night if the 'held back by XB1' games Microsoft show actually look better then the 'next gen only' games sony showed. And its hardly outside the realms of possibility of that happening after the show Sony had.
Have you stopped laughing yet?

All that 'concern trolling' turned out to be sincere concerns after all.

GHG

Gold Member
Have you stopped laughing yet?

All that 'concern trolling' turned out to be sincere concerns after all.

It's ironic isn't it.

If they actually said to Xbox what all the "concern trolls" have been saying for a while now then maybe Microsoft would get their arse into gear. But instead they just pretend to laugh while sticking their fingers in their ears and simultaneously championing games like Bleeding Edge. You reap what you sow.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This post aged well....

Kind of depends on game sales doesn't it? If the best selling PS5 exclusives hover around 1-2 million sold this holiday season and the best selling XBox exclusives get past 5 million, I think it'll have aged particularly well.

Although, I've been against GamePass forever, and even I'm like "For $15 per month I can get all that?" So we'll see how that impacts everything.

Kind of depends on game sales doesn't it? If the best selling PS5 exclusives hover around 1-2 million sold this holiday season and the best selling XBox exclusives get past 5 million, I think it'll have aged particularly well.

Although, I've been against GamePass forever, and even I'm like "For $15 per month I can get all that?" So we'll see how that impacts everything.

Halo aint outselling Spiderman I'm afraid lol

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned

With Game Pass, game sales of Microsoft games don't mean anything.

GHG

Gold Member
I bet it sells more than double what Spiderman sells.

60 million XBox One's + 100 million gaming PCs + 5 million Series Xs. Halo will be the most popular game of the year when it releases.

You would have thought this latest conference would have taught people to stop running their mouths but apparently not.

Be humble ffs.

Three

You would have thought this latest conference would have taught people to stop running their mouths but apparently not.

Be humble ffs.
He's probably right though. Considering that Sony plan to make only 10M PS5 (between holiday and march) then even if they sell to every PS5 owner for that period the upper limit is low. A crossgen and multiplatform game is going to sell more. It will be crappy looking and maybe even have less hype but still.

The only way Spiderman sells more is if it's bundled and/or is released for PS4 too.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Be humble ffs.

Why? It showed MS has a more interesting, as well as more mature, games lineup than their closest competition.

Plus, they have 5 first party studios that still have yet to show their next gen projects.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

60 million XBox One's + 100 million gaming PCs + 5 million Series Xs. Halo will be the most popular game of the year when it releases.

Spiderman had sold 13 million units as of a year ago. You really think Halo Infinte will sell 26 million units?

GHG

Gold Member
Why? It showed MS has a more interesting, as well as more mature, games lineup than their closest competition.

Plus, they have 5 first party studios that still have yet to show their next gen projects.

I hope you typing that helps convince yourself, because you sure as hell aren't convincing anyone else.

He's probably right though. Considering that Sony plan to make only 10M PS5 (between holiday and march) then even if they sell to every PS5 owner for that period the upper limit is low. A crossgen and multiplatform game is going to sell more. It will be crappy looking and maybe even have less hype but still.

The only way Spiderman sells more is if it's bundled and/or is released for PS4 too.

They are conditioning their fanbase to not purchase games. In ordinary circumstances I'd be inclined to agree but with gamepass in the mix you can't be so sure anymore.

It's not like we will ever find out regardless since they will release some meaningless "number of bullets fired" stat at the expense of actual sales numbers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think we need to wait until Sony also shows their 2022+ line up in order to compare

Maybe. But most of Sony's developers can be accounted for at this point. They don't have a ton in the hopper, if you will.

Sony Santa Monica and the new Uncharted Studio probably have 2022+ games to show off, but other than that, Sony is basically a know quantity at this point.

I think Microsoft is the more interesting publisher right now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Spiderman had sold 13 million units as of a year ago. You really think Halo Infinte will sell 26 million units?

13 million units on the PS4 which, a year ago, had around 90 million install base worldwide.

If you're expecting anything close to 13 million units on a launch install base for the PS5, you're gonna have a bad time.

Maybe. But most of Sony's developers can be accounted for at this point. They don't have a ton in the hopper, if you will.

Sony Santa Monica and the new Uncharted Studio probably have 2022+ games to show off, but other than that, Sony is basically a know quantity at this point.

I think Microsoft is the more interesting publisher right now.

Huh

So games from Insomniac, GG and PD account for most of Sony?

Interesting perspective you have there

Why would people even buy it when it’s on game pass.

Gears 5 sold the worst in the series because you could get game pass for 1 dollar when it came out.

Top Bottom