• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames and Kingdom Hearts 4’s studio each developed parts of Final Fantasy 16

Draugoth

Gold Member
Final-Fantasy-16-12-1280x720.jpg

PlatinumGames and the studio behind Kingdom Hearts 4 have both revealed that they took part in the development of Final Fantasy 16.

The news was revealed during the Final Fantasy 16 Pre-Launch Celebration live stream held during Summer Game Fest.

In a video message, PlatinumGames president and CEO Atsushi Inaba said: “PlatinumGames was graced with the opportunity to develop a part of Final Fantasy 16.​

We’d never had an experience to work on a title in this manner, so it certainly took us by surprise when we were first approached.

But the development staff, myself included, were all extremely excited for this opportunity, saying things like ‘it’s the Final Fantasy’ and ‘we’ll never get another chance to work on Final Fantasy’. So we gladly accepted this opportunity and made it happen.

Takahisa Taura, who worked with Square Enix previously on Nier: Automata, led the development staff and the team on the PlatinumGames side. He powered through the development as leader of the team, and I’m confident that the part we handled ended up being high quality content.”

More devs need to collaborate like this tbh. It would make dream games.

I think im buying ff16 with this information
For internal devs under one publisher, I agree. I thought I read somewhere that iD helped out with Starfield's combat a bit, and if so then it makes sense because it looked great.

For third party devs? It can only work if a really good dev(Platinum) is in constant struggle to stay afloat thus will help anyone and almost do anything to keep things running smoothly.

Platinum's work is inconsistent in quality. Celebrations are a bit premature. At least let the demo speak for itself.
I've only seen Platinum struggle before at mission design, storytelling, and world design. That's everything but the combat. Even with their worst offerings I never came away from it thinking they controlled awfully, they just didn't control like an A level Platinum game. A D level Platinum game would still do laps around some other western action games.

kuncol02

Banned
Final-Fantasy-16-12-1280x720.jpg

PlatinumGames and the studio behind Kingdom Hearts 4 have both revealed that they took part in the development of Final Fantasy 16.

The news was revealed during the Final Fantasy 16 Pre-Launch Celebration live stream held during Summer Game Fest.

In a video message, PlatinumGames president and CEO Atsushi Inaba said: “PlatinumGames was graced with the opportunity to develop a part of Final Fantasy 16.​
Platinum also helped with StarFox Zero. It was still unplayable.

YukiOnna

I was wondering which KH team would be on it as both are busy (VII Remake and KH4) but it ended up being the entire KH4 team. Really assuring to learn.

Doom85

Star Fox Zero was flawed from conception. Who has the balls to tell Miyamoto "no"?

Miyamoto: For the record, I never said specifically to remove the story and character development from Paper Mario Sticker Star. I simply looked at the development team, asked, “does this game need a story?”, and then I guess the AC wasn’t working in their building or something because they all started sweating intensely…..

peronmls

Kingdom Hearts had really bad developers after 2. They struggle so much to bring anything interesting or rich to the table. KH3 is extremely underwhelming and lacks any polish that the PS2 devs did. Not excited about this one bit. All engine and no talent or passion. Seems to be what games are going for now and days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom